Ip Man 3 - 3D (2015)

Maz

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just hope that the next Ip Man movie does not focus on Ip`s relation with BL. I love BL as much as the next guy but would there be any true insight or just more BS? As it is now, the Ip Man movies are to Ip`s life what Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story was to Bruce`s life. Ip had so many other students at that time anyways. WSL was the main guy that trained Bruce. In that case, the movie would turn out to be more about Bruce than Ip.

odioustrident
Only Lee used the techniques minimally. That's why his proposed battle against the Mantis/Wing Chun master in GOD may have been projected to be his best fight scene filmed-next to the Coliseum battle with Norris. It's that area where Lee excelled.

That's a great point. Thinking about those possibilities actually help me see Bruce in a different light... particularly in regards to how choreography would have changed had he lived.

Tired of Ip Man

Popularizing widespread interest in Wing Chun martial arts after Ip Man <葉問> in 2008, Donnie proclaimed that he had enough of the subject. He said, “I haven’t seen the other two film versions of Ip Man, but having filmed two movies on Ip Man, I have personally lost interest in this subject. If director Wilson Yip (葉偉信) is not going to film any more, I doubt I will either.”

http://www.jaynestars.com/movies/donnie-yen-hopes-to-assemble-chinese-film-heroes-together/

waywardsage

Man that sucks. I would have really liked this to be a trilogy. GM Ip Man was badass! The other films seem to be more like knockoffs.

It's not a bad thing for there to be tons of Ip Man movies. It has almost amounted to a reinvigoration of the genre! Less flying around like a bird and more real world ass kicking!

OK so I guess Donnie isn't making Ip Man #3 then?

It's up to Wilson Yip now so let's see what happens.

I'm down with most of the projects he's been taking so far. But honestly I think he should drop the Yip Man subject and concentrate on movies he likes doing. So I think his Super Hero Films Co. thing is a great opportunity for him to achieve that.

I'm sick of Ip Man, so I'm glad this isn't happening. Donnie is getting on my tits lately as well. He's everywhere!

At least he's returning to modern action movies with Special ID, Iceman movies, Last of the Best and the 1970s moderns :biggrin:

TibetanWhiteCrane

@Keung

Yes, how dare he be prolific, and almost single handedly flying the flag for quality martial arts HK action flicks...... what a prick.

At least he's returning to modern action movies with Special ID, Iceman movies, Last of the Best and the 1970s moderns :biggrin:

Indeed. I am not sure if we should consider as modern action though

Donnie Yen Underpaid for “Ip Man” Projects?

In May, Hong Kong media outlets reported that the highly anticipated Ip Man 3 <葉問3> was canceled after Donnie Yen (甄子丹) withdrew to film the project. Creative differences reportedly came up between director Wilson Yip (葉偉信) and producer Raymond Wong (黃百鳴), who wanted his own son, Ip Man screenwriter Edmond Wong (黃子桓), to replace Wilson in the director’s chair for Ip Man 3 in 2D. Donnie decided to back out of Ip Man 3 to show his support to Wilson, a longtime collaborator.

However, a recent phone interview with Raymond Wong revealed that he is still interested in continuing the franchise with both Donnie and Wilson in the crew. Raymond stated, “Donnie doesn’t have time this year. Wilson also has other jobs to do. [Ip Man 3] is under contract. No one can make it unless we make it first. The script has already been given to the Beijing film bureau for approval.”

A new tabloid rumor alleged that Raymond dismissed Donnie from the job after the actor demanded for a $50 million HKD salary. Raymond countered these rumors, claiming that Donnie was paid at his market quote. “The remuneration he received from me never exceeded the pay that others gave him. I never said his asking price was too much.”

As for the reports indicating that Raymond wanted his son to helm Ip Man 3, the filmmaker clarified, “It was Wilson Yip who suggested Edmond to direct while he produces. Wilson is too busy at the moment, but Edmond also has his wedding this year, so he doesn’t have the time to make the film either.”

Raymond then hinted that the studio has not given up on Ip Man 3 yet. He said, “We can’t make the film this year, but I do hope that everyone will have time to do it next year.”

Donnie Yen Responds

When asking about his rumored discord with Raymond Wong over production issues, Donnie did not give a direct answer, saying, “I will always respect him because he is [my] senior.” Asked about his $50 million HKD salary, Donnie said, “The whole world knows that the film remunerationsI received from Raymond are lower than those from Peter Lam (林建岳), Albert Yeung (楊受成), Stephen Shiu (蕭定一), [and] Alexander Wong (王海峰). For many years I have accepted the ‘friendship’ price he gave me. The whole industry knows this.”

Donnie revealed that he was trying to pan out his busy 2013 schedule to shoot Ip Man 3, but things did not go as well as planned. “Peter Lam [Media Asia CEO] originally [gave me an open slot] between June and September. I requested it to be extended to December, but negotiations didn’t go too well.”

Donnie admitted that he preferred Wilson Yip to direct Ip Man 3 instead, explaining, “Wilson Yip and I worked together in the last two Ip Man films. We share the same philosophy for these films, and I want this [partnership] to continue on to the next one, to respect the audience. I don’t want [Raymond’s] son to direct this film, however, I will give his son my utmost support if he chooses to direct another film. I’ve always encouraged new directors.”

Asked if he would go with Raymond’s wishes and shoot Ip Man 3 next year, Donnie said, “My schedule for next year is packed. I do have a new company and there are many projects left for me to do.”

Wilson Yip said, “We are just employees. If [Raymond] wants me to do it, I’ll do it. If he doesn’t want me to I’ll still want to do it, because I really like this film series.”

Source: http://www.jaynestars.com/movies/donnie-yen-underpaid-for-ip-man-projects/

This is fantastic news! As long as Sammo is back as the choreographer and the 3D doesn't impact on the film too much then this could be one of the best martial arts films of next year!

I'm more interested to see Donnie choreograph wing chun himself. His style packs so much 'oomph' and I like how he experiments with camerawork and the way he comes with varying ideas for great enhancement. Much respect to Sammo but he has contributed more than enough for wing chun onscreen and doesn't need to continue anymore.

Funny that the article says that Donnie will be shooting CTHD 2... I thought he bailed out, due to his busy schedule?

The news of Donnie ditching CTHD 2 turned out to be falsely reported by Apple Daily so the Weinsteins came out with a statement denying the report.

The news of Donnie ditching CTHD 2 turned out to be falsely reported by Apple Daily so the Weinsteins came out with a statement denying the report.

DiP, can you link me to your source please? EDIT: Never mind…apply daily.

OT: I just received a Blu-ray for ON THE JOB… looking forward to watching it. Going to send a copy to my dad, so they can eat sinigang while watching it.

Donnie on his official Facebook even shot down the CTHD2 rumor by posing with Yuen Woo-Ping in a photo and stated that he is excited to be working with his mentor on CTHD2.

OT: I just received a Blu-ray for ON THE JOB… looking forward to watching it. Going to send a copy to my dad, so they can eat sinigang while watching it.

Coincidentally, I'm actually going to watch my copy I bought in PI now. Looking forward to hear your verdict of it.

Archived