Ip Man 3 - 3D (2015)

Maz

Not to hop on a bandwagon but I, too, think "Fist of Legend," while good, is vastly overrated by fans of the genre.

Yeah count me in on that, gimme martial arts of shaolin over that any day. The fighting in fist of legend doesn't hold up for me.

Regarding donnie, i personally think he's the best fight choreographer in hong kong at the moment. He just needs a film that has a solid story and plenty of room for fighting. Flash point had some of the best and most original fighting ive seen in years. Then he kind of abandoned that and is taking the bigger budget movies. I'd like donnie to have full control over the fighting in ip man 3 myself, it would be interesting to see his take on wing chun.

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hong Kong’s Pegasus to produce Ip Man 3D

Hong Kong’s Pegasus Motion Pictures is introducing the third part of its hit Ip Man franchise in Cannes – the most ambitious installment yet which the company is planning to shoot in 3D.

The project, which has an estimated budget of $36m, will again star Donnie Yen as the eponymous kung-fu master who trained Bruce Lee (and is also the subject of Wong Kar-wai’s upcoming The Grandmasters). Wilson Yip, director of Ip Man and Ip Man 2, will again direct.

Yip will be travelling to the US and Europe to scout for 3D technicians and expertise to shoot the film, as well as exploring Asia where 3D production standards are rising. He hopes to start production in December for release at the end of 2013.

In the first two installments, Ip Man fought the Japanese in China, then moved to Hong Kong and clashed with colonial British rulers and competing schools of kung-fu. Bruce Lee makes a brief appearance as a child at the end of the Ip Man 2.

Again scripted by Edmond Wong, the third installment will focus on Ip Man’s relationship with Bruce Lee as an adult until his untimely death and will have a positive message.

“The theme of the film is how to live your life in a meaningful way, taking inspiration from Bruce Lee whose life was short but had great impact,” said Pegasus executive director Alvina Wong.

The producers have started the search for an actor with kung-fu skills to play the adult Bruce Lee. Lynn Hung, who appeared in the first two Ip Man films, will again star, and the producers are also in talks with Simon Yam.

Pegasus is also selling Ronny Yu’s $32m historical action film Saving General Yang, which features an ensemble cast of hot pan-Chinese actors, and Vincent Kuk’s comedy Love Is Pajamas, starring Ronald Cheng and Raymond Lam and Lynn Hung.

http://www.screendaily.com/news/asia-pacific/hong-kongs-pegasus-to-produce-ip-man-3d/5042116.article?blocktitle=Latest-Asia-Pacific-news&contentID=406

daisho2004

Its funny I remember reading on here that Donnie was done with the Ip Man movies. I guess he had a change of heart and the money was right?

I enjoyed all three Ip Man films quite a lot but I don't need a new Yen starring outing. Just as I wish Hollywood would stop with all the remakes and sequels, I'd like to see martial arts cinema find some originality as well. "Ip Man 3" (in 3D no less) just feels like they're flogging a dead horse.

I don't think I can name a HK movie with a third sequel that was any good!

In any case, be thankful. Look at all the Wong Fei Hung movies made with Kwan Tak Hing! The Ip Man films have a long way to go before reaching those sorts of saturation levels.

I'm just happy that there are still traditional MA films being made. Although I really do not have high hopes for this one being a 3D affair.

Drunken Monk
I personally preferred the sequel better than the first film because anything with Sammo in it is always better....

You obviously didn't see "Kung Fu Chefs."

TibetanWhiteCrane

I can just imagine the multitude of shots of Donnie punching at the camera, in lieu of actual choreography...... it's gonna be so exciting!

I really do hope that the 3D aspect doesn't much up Sammo's wonderful choreography. Although it would be cool for a few shots, especially if Bruce Lee fights as he did with Chuck Norris, I seem to remember several shots of him kicking the camera!

I don't think 3d will ruin it. If you don't like 3d then pay less money and see a regular showing.

I didn't see Prometheus in 3d and loved it. Same with Captain America and the Avengers. I barely ever pay the extra cash for 3d showings.

Hell this won't even be in theaters in the states most likely so I'll be seeing a 2d dvd/bluray release anyways!

TibetanWhiteCrane

Has nothing to do with what format or dimension you're watching it in. If this is shot in 3D, then they are gonna play to that gimmick and cater the action to 3D, and it may not suck, but I predict it will.

Chinatown Kid

I don't like the 3d gimmick either. I remember seeing Dynasty in 3D and it looked hokey with all the strikes and arrows going straight at the camera, and I'm a big Tan Tao Liang fan. The first 2 Ip Man movies were great without it, I don't think this one should need it. Great choreography and skill should speak for itself.

Thats the thing, 3D movies today aren't gimmicky where at certain parts of the movie things come out of the screen at you, the whole movie just has a 3D ultra real effect and if you don't like that you can still watch the regular version so I don't see the big deal.

Thanks for the info. Is Donnie going to shoot Enter The Master before Ip Man 3?

I don't think so. There hasnt been any news on Enter The Master at all. I don't think that will happen anytime soon. My guess will be second half of 2013

Since it was announced last April that Donnie Yen (甄子丹) has agreed to film Ip Man 3, worldwide fans were ecstatic. The third installment will focus on the relationship between Ip Man and his most famous disciple, Bruce Lee. The actor of choice to portray the young 16-year-old Bruce Lee has still not been determined yet, and the production team will conduct open auditions for the role very soon.

Donnie Yen said he doesn't know when filming of Ip Man 3 will commence, and indicated that production of Ip Man 3 depends on director Wilson Yip (葉偉信), who is the soul of the project.

http://www.jaynestars.com/movies/ip-man-3-and-other-new-hong-kong-films-of-2013/

3D could be cool if they can release the movies without one having to wear the glasses.

I was just thinking that. How would YesAsia market this item? Sold with glasses? Why can't they just make another exciting movie?

Laura

I was just thinking that. How would YesAsia market this item? Sold with glasses? Why can't they just make another exciting movie?

Laura

It won't HAVE to be in 3D. There will be a 3D BR/DVD release and a standard BR/DVD release, same as with Flying Swords of Dragon Gate last year and tons of other movies lately.

And I agree glasses free 3D will be nice. There were a few TV's with glasses free TV debuted this month at CES.

Why doesn't anyone make Kung Fu films anymore. Base the stories in the art-give the Martial Artists challenging choreography.

Back in the day, Liu Chia Liang did it at Shaws and that's why those films are so loved til this day; the actors performing could do the choreography with little help-other than occasional acrobatics.

Although I really liked Wu Xia, I was terribly disappointed when Donnie only teased shapes... Man, bust a move or two! Stop teasing.

Lastly, Ip Man was a fresh take on a way to shoot Wing Chun techniques. When Sammo excelled at this earlier with Prodigal Son and Warrior's Two, the movements were more showy and exaggerated. This time, they featured the rapidity of combinations traps and blocks, sort of like what Bruce Lee would display in scenes with Bob Baker, Bob Wall, and Chuck Norris. Only Lee used the techniques minimally. That's why his proposed battle against the Mantis/Wing Chun master in GOD may have been projected to be his best fight scene filmed-next to the Coliseum battle with Norris. It's that area where Lee excelled.

Archived