Ip Man 3 - 3D (2015)

Maz

7 hours ago, OpiumKungFuCracker said:

English subbs.

Cool! Thanks! Good to know that Well Go will release authentic Asian films and not these "Westernized" films that the Weinsteins use to provide us. I don't mind an English dub on the blu-ray for my reading-impaired friends, but not if I get a chance to see it on the big screen and am paying $10 for a show. :laugh

7 hours ago, OpiumKungFuCracker said:

Here's the thing with Donnie yen as an action star. He's just too dominant. Even in this movie pitted against Max Zhang, he was not a match for Donnie yen? Even the Tyson fight which I absolutely loved, even he was too fast for Tyson. Is it yeun wo ping choreography? Aren't you a little curios as to how yen would be in mma? Yeah I know he'd get killed, but.... Aren't you just a little curios?

I am sure that one would need some pretty fast reflexes to spar with Iron Mike. :smile Yeah, it was a movie and yes it was choreographed but Donnie would have to have some pretty good reflexes after all these years of training. And, there is no way to know how well Donnie would do in the MMA. Depends on whom he would be fighting. Donnie would be fast but would his blows be strong enough to take someone out? What kind of blows could Donnie take? How big is(are) the opponent(s)? Too many variables to say, really. And, real fighting is real fighting. No single person can beat everyone. There have been way too many examples of a champion fighter being taken out by a lucky shot. Also, how many people have lost a fight due to points but didn't really lose the fight if the fight had not been for points? Right?

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2016-01-23 at 5:59 PM, OpiumKungFuCracker said:

Here's the thing with Donnie yen as an action star. He's just too dominant.

Wasn't/isn't always the case.

about on par with Ip Man 2. Zhang Jin stole the show. Opening day here in the U.S. had an impressive turn out! still doesn't touch part 1.

OpiumKungFuCracker

Yeah, part 1 is still the best. Best story, and the 10 vs 1 Juijitsu fight scene is still the grand daddy of them all. In terms of fight scenes. 

I have the opposite feelings about the 10 vs 1 fight in Ip Man. I just thought that it was Donnie trying to out-do BL when Bruce had already done that in Fist of Fury. I thought that kind of fight did not belong in the Ip Man movie since Ip was not Bruce, but I understand why they did it. I still believe that IP Man 2 has the best fight scenes of the series, but, I have not seen IP Man 3 yet. As far as story goes, Ip Man and Ip Man: The Final Fight were the best ones. Ip Man: The Beginning got off to a good start until they decided to throw Ninjas into the mix. But, it is still a good movie. I think it has been a good series and if they never make another one I will be ok with that. There is only so much you can do with this character. Maybe in 10 years they can re-boot the franchise.

:monk_laughing:

Saw this on saturday,i liked it but prefered the other 2,was missing something,think i prefereed sammos cheography,Tyson fight was good i thought

Here is what I would rate each film about Yip Man overall... keeping both action and story/acting/filmmaking in mind

Ip Man (10/10)

Ip Man 2 (8/10)

The Legend is Born: Ip Man (6.5/10)

The Grandmaster (10/10)

Ip Man: The Final Fight (6/10)

Ip Man 3 (7.5/10)

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

The New York Times review of Ip Man 3.

In Bruce Lee’s unfinished film “Game of Death,” there is a classic bout between Lee and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.Ip Man 3,” the latest installment in a series starring Donnie Yen as Lee’s fabled instructor, offers similar stunt casting, in a fight between Mr. Yen and the former pro boxer Mike Tyson, who plays a gang boss. As rewarding as the matchup is — pile-driver force meeting the graceful kung fu style wing chun — it is not the movie’s climax, and ends in a stalemate.

Similar disappointments pervade “Ip Man 3,” which strives to link three plot threads — the gang’s attempt to seize the school that Ip Man’s son attends; an illness that strikes Ip Man’s wife, Cheung Wing-sing (a wan, fawning Lynn Xiong); and Ip Man’s rivalry with another wing chun practitioner (Max Zhang) — but doesn’t generate much suspense about the outcome of each.

Despite Mr. Yen’s impressive physical virtuosity, his stoic, often humorless presence tends to neutralize the emotional temperature. There are diverting moments, in addition to the Tyson brawl. Ip Man learns to dance from a young Lee (played by a doppelgänger, Chan Kwok Kwan Danny) and has a pas de deux of sorts with Cheung Wing-sing. An elevator slugfest with an assassin has intimate tension. And the director, Wilson Yip, keeps Yuen Woo-ping’s action choreography percolating with staccato editing and gliding overhead perspectives. Still, “Ip Man 3” largely fails to connect. ANDY WEBSTER

GD Y-Y

You never know how things are going to work out! I planned on going to see IP Man 3 though it was roughly 200 miles out of my way. The day before I was due to leave, I got a cold. I rarely ever do get one. I thought that maybe this is a sign that I should just stay home and not go. For once, I did not listen to that side of my brain. :smile I went, I saw. It was what I thought it would be (both good and bad). I agree with a lot you regarding this movie. For me, it really took a few minutes for it to start to "gel". I just couldn't "get into it" until 

Spoiler

the kids were kidnapped and Mrs Ip told him that she had cancer. 

After that, it was a pretty emotional film and I was invested. I still thought the BL introduction was utter crap and I think they could have done a better job with it. Typical "foreign devil" at work storyline.

And, as far as fight scenes go, the first couple were not so "involving". Something felt just a little off. However, I ended up liking the one fight scene that I thought that I would hate; that was the Iron Mike vs IP fight. Iron Mike made me laugh out loud a few times in that scene and I thought it worked very well. Of course, my favorite fight scene was the Wing Chun vs Wing Chun fight. The elevator fight was really good! However, Donnie was doubled a lot in that fight once they broke out into the hallway and also at the end during the 

Spoiler

pole

fight. But, it was a little obvious since they were doing over-head shots and it certainly did not look like Donnie at all. Oh well! 

The other unexpected thing is that Jin Zhang stole the show. My eyes were on him the whole time and not Donnie when they were in the scene together. Really good job with how they brought in elements of Ip`s training/sifu; which first was talked about in Ip Man: The Beginning, I think it was. 

Yeah, pretty good movie! Now I need to pick it up on blu-ray when it arrives. I would probably give it a 7 out of 10 or 7-1/2.

I thought this was an amazing film, I loved it. It did take me a little while to invest in it as echoed previously by reason 108 but once in I was hooked. I enjoyed all the fights and even though Jin Zhang was indeed completely ferocious I didn't think he outshined Donnie, they shined equally as bright and that last fight was completely awesome. Staff, knife, empty hand. As a first time watch this is definitely up there with the first, if not better for me as the fight choreography was really special in places and the story just resonated with me, maybe I'm just a softie. Top 10 all time for me at the moment (massive screen and super loud helped I guess) can't rate it highly enough.

So, I've literally just stepped out of the film...

Is it a good film? Yes. Is it the classic fanfare the series deserves? No.

It has it's pros, certainly. The drama, the performances, Zhang Jin and yes, even Mike Tyson. But it has it's cons. The fights are way too short, Yuen Woo Ping is a lesser choreographer than Sammo and Infound that there's a lot of inconsistency in the action. The final fight doesn't even feel like it has the same choreographer. It's that much better.

Donnie's doubles are waaaaay too obvious and actually quite off putting too.

It's a good film though. A solid 6.5 or 7 out of 10. It balances characters arcs well with great kung fu scenes but it doesn't live up to the hype, sadly. It's good, but not GREAT.

On January 29, 2016 at 5:58 AM, Ramji said:

I thought this was an amazing film, I loved it. It did take me a little while to invest in it as echoed previously by reason 108 but once in I was hooked. I enjoyed all the fights and even though Jin Zhang was indeed completely ferocious I didn't think he outshined Donnie, they shined equally as bright and that last fight was completely awesome. Staff, knife, empty hand. As a first time watch this is definitely up there with the first, if not better for me as the fight choreography was really special in places and the story just resonated with me, maybe I'm just a softie. Top 10 all time for me at the moment (massive screen and super loud helped I guess) can't rate it highly enough.

2 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

So, I've literally just stepped out of the film...

Is it a good film? Yes. Is it the classic fanfare the series deserves? No.

It has it's pros, certainly. The drama, the performances, Zhang Jin and yes, even Mike Tyson. But it has it's cons. The fights are way too short, Yuen Woo Ping is a lesser choreographer than Sammo and Infound that there's a lot of inconsistency in the action. The final fight doesn't even feel like it has the same choreographer. It's that much better.

Donnie's doubles are waaaaay too obvious and actually quite off putting too.

It's a good film though. A solid 6.5 or 7 out of 10. It balances characters arcs well with great kung fu scenes but it doesn't live up to the hype, sadly. It's good, but not GREAT.

That end fight delivered on what I expected an Ip Man end-fight to be; and may very well be my favorite of the whole series, perhaps. I still think the first Ip Man movie is the best one. Ip Man 2 had arguably the best fight scenes but not much of a story. IP Man 3 was a solid entry but should have started differently as the BL bits were not needed at all. And, they should have removed Ip`s student`s interest in one of the girls that worked at the school as that went nowhere either. Those scenes should have been left on the cutting room floor. The one thing that the Ip Man series is lacking is a great supporting cast of characters that could continue interest in the series. I just can't see the Ip films as having that kind of long life that Wong Fei-hung has had. Only time and box office receipts will tell what the future holds for another Ip man movie.  

OpiumKungFuCracker

It got emotional towards the end when he was drinking tea and then the title came up, Don't want to spoil it but it got to me. I had no idea about it either that it happened in real life. Easily better than part 2 and on par with part one in terms of drama. 

Archived