Ip Man 3 - 3D (2015)

Maz

OpiumKungFuCracker

Ip Man 3 is a martial arts fan dream come true, as it is positively stacked to the brim with physical and melee fights galore.

That quote taken from a review on CityonFire for this movie is all I need to know to go see this movie. Yes, entertainment is what I want from a MA film.

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lady Jin Szu-Yi
On January 8, 2016 at 10:19 AM, Drunken Monk said:

But, you're right, it's opinion. I, too, don't care for super specific nitpicking. But I do believe in critiquing bad film making, direction, performance etc. I also think fan service is getting way out of hand in modern cinema.

100% agree on the bolded. 

Yup, Lots of fan service going around. As far as that scene, I haven't seen any of the Ip Man films so not my place to comment. 

OpiumKungFuCracker
6 hours ago, sym8 said:

Looking forward to this,just hope theres no flying kung fu.Please no strings attached

Hhahhahahah, Leave Jet Li alone!!!

sifu iron perm
On Monday, January 11, 2016 at 1:26 AM, OpiumKungFuCracker said:

Hhahhahahah, Leave Jet Li alone!!!

Damn..Li lian jie was yhat Man upon a time ago.

So I watched this yesterday and loved every second. A very slow build up but it was worth it. What I liked most about this one was that the stakes were much more personal. No 'Ip Man vs the world, Ip Man saves China', it is very much his story. I also loved how this time he was forced to fight for his family.

Now. The action is as spectacular as you would imagine a Woo Ping/Yen collaberation would be. The Tyson fight, while entertaining, is far from my favourite battle. That honour goes to the elevator/stairway brawl. The way he has to both evade the blows and block his wife being hit really made me invest in the scene.

Also I won't spoilt the plot but I thought this could be Donnie's finest performance to date. He is so settled into the character that when he does have to confront some emotional moments he sells it perfectly. I'm seeing it again tomorrow (I want to both support the release and see it multiple times on a big screen). All I can say is that if you weren't planning to see it, then I recommend doing so.

OpiumKungFuCracker

I'm seeing this opening day here in the u.s next Friday. My city has 2 theaters that will show this movie. Expect it to be a full house, as martial arts movies was intended to be. Can't wait. I've waited almost a year since the raid 2 to see a martial arts movie on the big screen.

I saw this yesterday and i loved it, it`s much better than part 2 IMO.

Tyson was exactly what i expected and the Bruce Lee scenes i feel were a last minute thing due to the estates interference.Completely inacurate and not needed.

Dear DC weather, fuck you.

I was itching to see this this weekend and then DC decided to have a blizzard. We're looking at ten to twelve inches which will definitely lead to everything being shutdown. So, I might not make it this weekend. Gutted.

1 hour ago, DiP said:

Man, there hasn't been a movie in years  that I was so excited about! Hope to see it in HK soon...

On December 30, 2015 at 0:43 AM, Frank Bolte said:
9 hours ago, DiP said:

Snoop Dogg giving Donnie a shout-out lol

Maybe Snoop has smoked too much dope! Really, Snoop? I.P. Man? WTF? Now idiots everywhere are going to think that that is how it spoken because Snoop said it. Some people already think that is how it is. 

All of you that will be getting to see this in the theater are lucky. I will wait for blu-ray. It looks like the US blu will be in Apri. I think that I will go ahead and get the HK blu-ray. I am sure that it will be released sooner in HK than 4-19-16.

OpiumKungFuCracker

I'm sorry that some of you fine folks won't be able to see this third installment. Just got back from seeing it and it's definately better than part 2. Like someone said here, it's more personal and the fights are just staged better with some gorgeous shots. That elevator shaft fight is definitely my favorite. WOW!!! Yes it does feel episodic, but it's too be expected from a material like this. Again it's based on Ip Man so they're trying to ground this thing in reality as much as possible. Not much you can do with the Bruce Lee character but from what's placed on screen, I thought it was kinda cool. Mike Tyson fight is also pretty cool to see.

Saw this today. Largely agree with some other opinions here. It felt better than no. 2 for me because it did feel quite personal. And in a lot of ways they created a character that almost mirrored Ip Man. I enjoyed the choreography but I spent some time imagining how Sammo would have treated the same material. When watching some specific fights in the film I believe you'll see what I mean.

OpiumKungFuCracker

I kinda want to see this movie again. The fight scenes are plenty and they go so fast, I need a replay.

Well, I may get a chance to see this in the theater after all. However, I may have to travel over 200 miles round-trip. I have one day coming up during the week that I might be able to pull this off. I know I can wait for the blu-ray but it is so rare to see any of these kind of films on the big screen that it is almost an opportunity not to pass up. It has been a long time since I have made this kind of commitment to do something so far away. I have rationalized it that I have driven 1000 miles round-trip before just to see a concert that I wanted to go to. :monk_laughing:But, I was much younger then! If I decide to commit to this idea then I will report back with my 2 cents! At least the reviews have been good so far. Seems that everyone likes it better than Ip Man 2; which is almost enough to convince me to go. :laugh

For those that have seen it in the U.S., is this film dubbed or subbed? (I hope to goodness that it is subbed.)

8 hours ago, OpiumKungFuCracker said:

I kinda want to see this movie again. The fight scenes are plenty and they go so fast, I need a replay.

You're not the only one. I walked out of the cinema thinking that. Seeing as our territories had a later release, it shouldn't be too long before the HK home video release.

OpiumKungFuCracker

Here's the thing with Donnie yen as an action star. He's just too dominant. Even in this movie pitted against Max Zhang, he was not a match for Donnie yen? Even the Tyson fight which I absolutely loved, even he was too fast for Tyson. Is it yeun wo ping choreography? Aren't you a little curios as to how yen would be in mma? Yeah I know he'd get killed, but.... Aren't you just a little curios?

18 hours ago, reason108 said:

Well, I may get a chance to see this in the theater after all. However, I may have to travel over 200 miles round-trip. I have one day coming up during the week that I might be able to pull this off. I know I can wait for the blu-ray but it is so rare to see any of these kind of films on the big screen that it is almost an opportunity not to pass up. It has been a long time since I have made this kind of commitment to do something so far away. I have rationalized it that I have driven 1000 miles round-trip before just to see a concert that I wanted to go to. :monk_laughing:But, I was much younger then! If I decide to commit to this idea then I will report back with my 2 cents! At least the reviews have been good so far. Seems that everyone likes it better than Ip Man 2; which is almost enough to convince me to go. :laugh

For those that have seen it in the U.S., is this film dubbed or subbed? (I hope to goodness that it is subbed.)

English subbs.

6 hours ago, OpiumKungFuCracker said:

Here's the thing with Donnie yen as an action star. He's just too dominant.

Totally agree. And that's ALL his movies. 

Archived