Ip Man 3 - 3D (2015)

Maz

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply
sifu iron perm

just booked my ticket for the 12.15 pm show in london.

Mistakes can be defined in several ways but I simply referred to doing something wrong based on carelessness so his actions were a mistake. I'm sure Mike realizes this and he paid for it with three years in prison. But whatever, good discussion whatsoever.

Australian release date now falls in line with the Jan 15th release. I was looking forward to checking it out in two days. Ah well, more time to anticipate for me!

Nice review and about what I was expecting from seeing the trailer. As long as it is better than Ip Man 2 then it should be pretty good. I would not expect it to be as good as the first one. And, from the trailer, it was pretty obvious that the historical aspect is gone for good. The truth, why that would get in the way of a good story. :monk_laughing:

Historic accuracy for the most part was never ever the aim for the previous two movies (or for kung fu movies in general) so this shouldn't be any different. But I can deal with it as long as the fabricated material is directed well and the action is good, which the previous two movies delivered for me.

Historic accuracy for the most part was never ever the aim for the previous two movies (or for kung fu movies in general) so this shouldn't be any different. But I can deal with it as long as the fabricated material is directed well and the action is good, which the previous two movies delivered for me.

Well, there were some elements from Ip Man that were based on his real life, though a fudged time-line. I think you mentioned it, but Ip Man the Beginning and Ip Man: The Final Fight also had some historical truths in there. I think it was Ip Chun that co-produced those? Cant remember if it was Ip Chun or Ip Ching. One of the sons. Ip Ching was in Ip Man the Beginning. Oh well. So far, I have like all the Ip Man movies (with Donnie and without). I will be getting this on blu-ray for sure. It would be nice if it was going to play in my area but I probably have a better chance of being hit by a meteor. haha. 

Well, there were some elements from Ip Man that were based on his real life, though a fudged time-line. I think you mentioned it, but Ip Man the Beginning and Ip Man: The Final Fight also had some historical truths in there. I think it was Ip Chun that co-produced those? Cant remember if it was Ip Chun or Ip Ching. One of the sons. Ip Ching was in Ip Man the Beginning. Oh well. So far, I have like all the Ip Man movies (with Donnie and without). I will be getting this on blu-ray for sure. It would be nice if it was going to play in my area but I probably have a better chance of being hit by a meteor. haha. 

I think it was Yip Chun that both produced and had a cameo in Ip Man: The Legend is Born (and Ip Man: The Final Fight).

As a side note, Yip Chun basically played his father in Bruce Lee - True Story. I've neer seen the film so I don't know if his character was referred to as 'Yip Man' in the film.

sifu iron perm

i just got back from the first ever viewing in the UK...

12.15 pm..

wow..great film..this picks up where part 1 left in terms of great fights and less wire fu as such..the fight with ip man and master cheung was a delight moment, everyone will smile while watching that finale.

mike Tyson's role was was nothing but a glorified cameo..the fight scene with him and ip man was surprisingly good,. short (3 mins)..but good for what they got out of mike.

bruce lee character was comical and pure fun, not much spent but it was nice and some groovy moves within that space and interaction between sifu and lee.

we had a minor hiccup at the beginning, the 3D was poor and wasn't coordinating well and bingo..they started the projector again and everything was fine.

8/10.

Enjoyed it immensely! It's still very fresh in my head so I'll say its better than Part 2. Plenty of actions in this one and well shot/choreographed! Part 1 still the best overall but if just for actions... Part 3 might just take it. 

sifu iron perm

Enjoyed it immensely! It's still very fresh in my head so I'll say its better than Part 2. Plenty of actions in this one and well shot/choreographed! Part 1 still the best overall but if just for actions... Part 3 might just take it. 

i know its fresh from viewing but i enjoyed this more than 1..maybe that's going a bit far but i loved the master cheung build up and finale..this was straight out of the golden classics..

Man now I really want to see this as well. Unfortunately to catch these kind of movies here is close to impossible. So I'll have to wait for a Blu Ray release.

As a side note (no advertisment intended), Enterbay will release a 1/6 Ip Man 3 - Donnie Yen figure. Pretty neat...

1450757072_details.jpg

One Armed Boxer

Some people who have seen it thinks it's better than part 2, which says something.

I think the vast majority of people found part 2 to be a let down.  For me personally on repeated viewings it's a movie which has only gotten progressively worse with each watch.  The in your face nationalism, the out of place wirework, the treatment of Simon Yam's character, and the caricature villain of the late Darren Shahlavi (an aspect of his role that even he complained about in later interviews), all combine to make it a vastly inferior sequel to the original.  I think I'd rather watch 'Iron Monkey 2' if someone was to ask me to choose which one to watch at this point.

More reviews.

Kozo over at lovehkfilm has also weighed in with his thoughts - http://www.lovehkfilm.com/reviews_2/ip_man_3.html

I think the vast majority of people found part 2 to be a let down.  For me personally on repeated viewings it's a movie which has only gotten progressively worse with each watch.  The in your face nationalism, the out of place wirework, the treatment of Simon Yam's character, and the caricature villain of the late Darren Shahlavi (an aspect of his role that even he complained about in later interviews), all combine to make it a vastly inferior sequel to the original.  I think I'd rather watch 'Iron Monkey 2' if someone was to ask me to choose which one to watch at this point.

Kozo over at lovehkfilm has also weighed in with his thoughts - http://www.lovehkfilm.com/reviews_2/ip_man_3.html

Not sure what vast majority of people you're referring to. If we're talking this board, then I'd say it's mixed and slightly on the positive side. Outside of it (say IMDB, Rotten Tomatoes etc) it's more on the positive side.

Positive reviews! Nice! Now, I can't wait! But, probably won't get to see this until the blu-ray; which will be a day 1 purchase. It looks like the nearest showing to me, according to the Wellgo website, will be a little over 100 miles away. A round trip is too much for just a movie. And, It won't hit theaters here until January 22nd, anyways. It`s possible by then that the blu-ray could be out. I think a lot of people will not be happy that Iron Mike does not have more screen time. But, oh well. Good enough.   

Man now I really want to see this as well. Unfortunately to catch these kind of movies here is close to impossible. So I'll have to wait for a Blu Ray release.

As a side note (no advertisment intended), Enterbay will release a 1/6 Ip Man 3 - Donnie Yen figure. Pretty neat...

1450757072_details.jpg

I would buy one if it was of the real IP Man.

But, his arm should not be extended unless he just smacked someone. haha. And, his guard hand is too low. haha. Oh well.

sifu iron perm

Would anyone happen to know if tickets are on sale for the UK 15th Jan release yet?

most likely not..

check the week leading to the 15th.

I'm sorry but this clip is FUCKING HORRIBLE. It's just so...cheesy and silly.

Hey, at least I have now learnt how to defend myself if I am ever attacked by a pack of flying cigarettes and some water. Thank you Ip Man 3 for preparing me for the unexpected! :monk_laughing:

Yeah, looks like dog`s ass for sure. Too bad they couldn't have stuck to reality on this part since the reality part was pretty cool. Right? If I were Linda or Shannon I would have made sure this sequence was left on the cutting room floor. But, from the reviews, the rest of the movie is better than this! 

I'm sorry but this clip is FUCKING HORRIBLE. It's just so...cheesy and silly.

Proudly sponsored by the Tobacco companies of China... Smoking is bad? Master Ip will kick your butt :laugh

At least it's not opium, though that would at least be factual.

It's true though that back in the day pretty much everyone in HK smoked, probably including Yip Sifu himself. But then there are ways to show that without looking silly. Just like there were ways to show off the Bruce Lee character's speed.

I caved and watched a bootleg version of the Donnie Yen versus Mike Tyson fight and, while most people seem to make fun of it, I actually liked what I saw. The main argument seems to be that Tyson could punch Donnie's head off but if that's your chief line of debate then you take films way too seriously.
The choreography seems stylish but very different from Sammo's. Less intricate hand exchanges and, dare I say, more logic? I don't know if that's a good or bad thing.

Needless to say, I'm chomping at the bit to watch this. I can't wait until January 22nd.

Archived