Ip Man 3 - 3D (2015)

Maz

I have no problem with made-up versions of historical martial arts icons in China because that's what defines kung fu movies in general: Fabricated entertainment. OUATIC series, Fearless, True Legend, Fong Sai Yuk... The list goes on. The first two Ip Man movies are no different. I think people these days prefer authenticity way too much to the point that thhe will be put off easily forgetting that filmmakers can do movies in any way they want.

Based on the article, it seems that Tyson will be one of the villains in the same fashion as in part 2 only vice versa. Now it's the foreigner Yip Man befriends and one of his own people he feuds with respectively in the end.

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OpiumKungFuCracker

I'm not sure what those guys did at Well GO USA but they know how to put together a damn trailer. This one however just makes it seemed like your typical hong kong b action movie. What is the secret MPM74?

Editing and approach techniques. HK trailers tend to add more hints of what stories are actually about which can be spoilers at times whereas international trailers show little of the plot and go for the main ingredient with more impact (in this case: action, meaty sound effects, adrenaline-pumping music) to sell the viewers right away.

That said, I don't find anything wrong with the these HK trailers. It's just the typical HK style of putting together previews.

Does this actually still have to do anything with the man and his life Ip Man? Also why the 3D, IMHO this doesn't add anything to the movie :dull

Wait, what? Mike Tyson? Why?

Why not? Based on making of and trailers, Mike could pull it off. Or are you just concerned of his acting? That's not what he was hired for.

Does this actually still have to do anything with the man and his life Ip Man? Also why the 3D, IMHO this doesn't add anything to the movie :dull

The earlier movies were not close to Yip Man's true life is so this won't be any different. Any kung fu movie out there are not authentic in how they portray historical kung fu masters. It's all fabricated.

The 3D thing was just used as hype but the movie wasn't shot in actual 3D. There will be an option of watching it in 3D though, like so many movies these days.

Why not? Based on making of and trailers, Mike could pull it off. Or are you just concerned of his acting? That's not what he was hired for.

The earlier movies were not close to Yip Man's true life is so this won't be any different. Any kung fu movie out there are not authentic in how they portray historical kung fu masters. It's all fabricated.

The 3D thing was just used as hype but the movie wasn't shot in actual 3D. There will be an option of watching it in 3D though, like so many movies these days.

Because Mike's not a martial artist, he's a pugilist . I'm sure everyone was asking for a Donnie vs Mike Tyson screen fight? Not. Ip Man already did that in the second film.

Not to mention he's a rapist and doesn't deserve to be celebrated in any form whatsoever. Plays the role of "innocent mentally challenged" Mike nowadays. I don't buy it. Get him the F outta here. The overrated has-been that he is.

What role is he playing? Himself way before he was born? 

Because Mike's not a martial artist, he's a pugilist . I'm sure everyone was asking for a Donnie vs Mike Tyson screen fight? Not. Ip Man already did that in the second film.

Not to mention he's a rapist and doesn't deserve to be celebrated in any form whatsoever. Plays the role of "innocent mentally challenged" Mike nowadays. I don't buy it. Get him the F outta here. The overrated has-been that he is.

What role is he playing? Himself way before he was born? 

So? Doesn't mean he can't pull anything off. Trailers and making of suggests otherwise. And yes, no one was asking for it but some people are already accepting it now that footage have been out. And Mike is playing a fictional street fighter, so it ain't gonna be just punches.

You hate Mike to the core for the bad stuff he did outside the ring, we get it. But that has nothing to do with whether or not he can deliver a fight scene. We just gonna have to wait and see how that goes.

Well, I'm not too fond of the shit he did INSIDE the ring. Losing to Buster Douglas, Evander, and Lennox doesn't make you invincible. Biting ears because you're getting your ass handed to you? Just because you're a lowlife human being outside the lines, it still doesn't deserve tv shows and movies for you.

Trailers made Man with the Iron Fists look good. Editing magic. So?

Let's not go there, please. It just plain looks stupid for MT to be in a Ip Man film, period.

Well, I'm not too fond of the shit he did INSIDE the ring. Losing to Buster Douglas, Evander, and Lennox doesn't make you invincible. Biting ears because you're getting your ass handed to you? Just because you're a lowlife human being outside the lines, it still doesn't deserve tv shows and movies for you.

Trailers made Man with the Iron Fists look good. Editing magic. So?

Let's not go there, please. It just plain looks stupid for MT to be in a Ip Man film, period.

So you're basing your opinion on Mike being a bad idea for a fight scene on losing and biting off an ear? I can understand that losing is a big deal in the ring as one's ability can really decline after taking so much punishment. Keep in mind that we're talking action film-making here, which is not the same as fighting in the ring. Watch the making of a few pages back and see for yourself. Plus Mike keeps himself in good shape through daily training. Also watch any post-boxing interview with him where he talks about the misery he's been going through doing all these stuff. He's not the same guy you're hating and is trying to fit in society and compensate for a rough and bad upbringing no one will understand (unless they have been on the same road as he did) that caused him to do bad stuff. Trash-talk is cheap, just like what you're doing now.

Yep, like I said, we're gonna have to wait till it's out before we can say anything. In the meantime, let's not use Mike's past or his losses to criticize his upcoming onscreen fighting performance we haven't even seen yet.

Yes, it's stupid to think that Mike is in the movie when the only allusion one has of him being the movie is that he's playing himself when it actuality he's not, hence why some people are confused.

I'm always going to use Mike's past and cast judgement on him. That's the way it should be. You are what you are. There's no remorse or compassion in my heart for a RAPIST and ignorant fool. No place in movies or tv for this dickhead, AT ALL. He'll tell you himself that he's a POS.

If you committed the same crimes as he did, how easy would it be for you to get a job? We'll just agree to to disagree. 

I'm always going to use Mike's past and cast judgement on him. That's the way it should be. You are what you are. There's no remorse or compassion in my heart for a RAPIST and ignorant fool. No place in movies or tv for this dickhead, AT ALL. He'll tell you himself that he's a POS.

If you committed the same crimes as he did, how easy would it be for you to get a job? We'll just agree to to disagree. 

Yeah, meaning that you're using a changed man's past against him and cast judgment for MISTAKES he has learned from... You make it sound as if he still rapes women and gets away with it. There's no remorse and compassion for someone doing that I agree but if changes are willingly taken and you learn doing better and positive everyday, it's means it's a call for acceptance and redemption. There's nothing ignorant about that.

By just admitting your wrongdoings, accepting what has been done, and just learn to stay humble and do positive things. People are not perfect.

Mistakes can be defined in several ways but I simply referred to doing something wrong based on carelessness so his actions were a mistake. I'm sure Mike realizes this and he paid for it with three years in prison. But whatever, good discussion whatsoever.

Mike Tyson naysayers will always exist. He served his time and hasn't raped since, so it's safe to assumed he's a changed man. Sean Connery was a self-confessed wife beater and yet nobody bats and eyelid over his body of work.
Tyson, despite his crimes, is a legendary fighter known all over the world for being one of the greatest heavyweight boxers of all times. If we chose films based on the fucks ups of the stars in them, I think many, MANY films would be on the "shouldn't watch" list.

Tyson is neither legendary nor one of the greatest heavyweights of all time. He beat a bunch of nobodies and has-beens. Dodged Holyfield and Lewis for years before finally stepping up and getting beatdown. That myth is so old and played out.

No need for him to be in an Ip Man film. I'd rather see Donnie throwdown with other martial artists. Tony Jaa, Iko Uwais, Scott Adkins, Marko Zaror, maybe Lateef Crowder? They did the boxer thing already in part 2.

Tyson is neither legendary nor one of the greatest heavyweights of all time. He beat a bunch of nobodies and has-beens. Dodged Holyfield and Lewis for years before finally stepping up and getting beatdown. That myth is so old and played out.

No need for him to be in an Ip Man film. I'd rather see Donnie throwdown with other martial artists. Tony Jaa, Iko Uwais, Scott Adkins, Marko Zaror, maybe Lateef Crowder? They did the boxer thing already in part 2.

Well, we'll agree to disagree with your first statement.

No, there isn't really a need for him to be in "Ip Man 3", but there was no need for Tony Jaa to be in "Fast Furious 7" and there was definitely no need for Gina Carano to be in "Blood and Bone" or Ronda Rousey in "Expendables 3".
But, he is in it and I don't see it as a reason to avoid the film entirely. I think that's...well...petty, if I'm honest. Especially since the rest of the film looks to be pretty great.

OpiumKungFuCracker

Hey guys, Cool it!!! Be lucky bill Cosby wasn't in it or this thread will become a sh!t storm of gerbal bubble talk.

OpiumKungFuCracker

Okay fine I'll use the Polanski example. We still watch his movies or even Woody Allen and they've raped a few batches here and there.

Okay fine I'll use the Polanski example. We still watch his movies or even Woody Allen and they've raped a few batches here and there.

Well, those are filmmakers. Not even interested in their artsy fartsy stuff. Mike is just a has-been boxer with a stupid facial tattoo. Not an actor. Not a filmmaker/director. Not a martial artist. Yet he's in more films and tv shows than quality actors.

It's just weird seein his ugly mug plastered everywhere.

Archived