Ip Man 3 - 3D (2015)

Maz

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Drunken Monk

I think everyone is over the whole Ip Man thing now (though there's still some excitement for "The Grandmasters" when it's finally released in 2028). For once I actually agree with Donnie when he says he wish to move onto new pastures.

I enjoyed all three Ip Man films quite a lot but I don't need a new Yen starring outing. Just as I wish Hollywood would stop with all the remakes and sequels, I'd like to see martial arts cinema find some originality as well. "Ip Man 3" (in 3D no less) just feels like they're flogging a dead horse.

Guest Yi-Long

I don't mind a new Ip man with Donnie Yen. It's probably better than most of the other shit he's doing.

I DO mind that this will be yet another 3D gimmicky movie. As if the stupid unnecessary CGI in HK movies wasn't bad enough already...(!)

I DO mind that this will be yet another 3D gimmicky movie. As if the stupid unnecessary CGI in HK movies wasn't bad enough already...(!)

I agree completely as soon as I saw 3-D I just started shaking my head.

I don't mind a new Ip man with Donnie Yen. It's probably better than most of the other shit he's doing.

After Ip Man 2 I really couldn't find any interest to watch another sequel

Wu Xia is a masterpiece. Then on the side, you have Ip Man 2; The Lost Bladesman; and Bodyguards & Assassins which were pretty good. I agree with the rest though.

Ip Man is done. Donnie should get back to modern action fare, like SPL. Since everyone his trying to tell a version of legendary masters, be creative and go another route. Unless something like a telling of a period tale with an ensemble cast of experts, where their talents could be on display, why bother?

Ip Man is done. Donnie should get back to modern action fare, like SPL. Since everyone his trying to tell a version of legendary masters, be creative and go another route. Unless something like a telling of a period tale with an ensemble cast of experts, where their talents could be on display, why bother?

I agree. I loved SPL, and think it would be great if he made another movie of that ilk. It's interesting that Donny is obviously talented, and a legit Martial Artist, but he's had a spotty track record of picking movies.

It's interesting that Donny is obviously talented, and a legit Martial Artist, but he's had a spotty track record of picking movies.

The same can be said about pretty much any actor. Choosing certain projects out of many options and reasons is natural for actors after they get famous as they aren't interested in one and the same type of film. People have said the same thing about Chow Yun-Fat, Jet Li and Jackie Chan since they got famous locally and internationally.

While they're at it, they might as well get Jet Li to do OUATIC part 29 in 3D. Actually, that's not a bad idea...?

Drunken Monk

Modern or not, I just want to see Donnie Yen get away from cliche. He has the ability to put mind-blowing choreography into any film, but he keeps following poor directors into making even poorer films.

I just wish someone would make a really solid Donnie Yen vehicle, instead of chucking him a few moments of glory and then fucking up the rest of the film.

The same can be said about pretty much any actor. Choosing certain projects out of many options and reasons is natural for actors after they get famous as they aren't interested in one and the same type of film. People have said the same thing about Chow Yun-Fat, Jet Li and Jackie Chan since they got famous locally and internationally.

That's true. For the record, I'm not trying to bash him, I think he's great.

Guest Yi-Long

I'm not even that big a fan of Donnie as a choreographer. I think he's a bit overrated in that department.

I prefer to see him as JUST a martial arts actor/performer, directed by talented people, in a good movie.

I'm not going to say there have been 'enough' Ip Man' films just because Ip Man 2 was disappointing and Ip Man 3 kinda lost it in the last 25 minutes. If they can come out with a quality martial arts movie with Ip Man/Donnie, I know we'll all love it again. It's that simple.

I just want him to do GREAT movies. Not the mediocre crap he poops out usually. And yeah, obviously that's easier said than done, but maybe cutting back to doing only 1-2 projects a year would be a nice start.

Also, he's a gifter performer, but he's getting older, so he really should get his kicks in now before it's too late.

I'm not even that big a fan of Donnie as a choreographer. I think he's a bit overrated in that department.

You can consider him overrated as a choreographer in every way but you should be thankful as there's no denying that what he has done in recent times have changed the way Hong Kong MA films are made. He's the only one left in Hong Kong who is moving away from conventional MA/fight choreography on a grand-scale today. Name other Hong Kong choreographers that has the same capacity of ideas and creativity Donnie possesses and integrates those in various projects the same way.

I just want him to do GREAT movies. Not the mediocre crap he poops out usually.

And you say Ip Man 3 is probably better than most shit he's doing. Are you always this probable lol? Let's not generalize here and just watch the films you haven't seen yet before making a final judgment. :wink2:

OK I think all 3D movies for the most Suck they just charge extra money and honestly there isn't anything special about it!

Now as far as IP Man #3 I have mixed feeling about it! I would like to see how Wing Chun was founded by the Female Shaolin Monk, now that would make a good movie!

And I really would like to see a Donnie Yen & Gareth Evans (The Raid) director do a movie together! That would be a great combo!

I enjoyed both Ip Man movies and dont mind watching Donnie do another one, but I'd rather Tony Leung did action direction than Fatty, after all Young Ip Man had far better choreography than Ip Man 2....as for 3D it's a gimmick....but a load of chain punches flying out of the screen at me might be amusing.....or could look like Chan punching the camera in Magnificent Bodyguards

But it's Donnie Yen so I will watch it regardless!!

Guest Yi-Long
You may find him overrated as a choreographer but you should be thankful. He's the only one left in Hong Kong who is moving away from conventional MA/fight choreography on a grand-scale today. Name other Hong Kong choreographers that has the same capacity of ideas and creativity Donnie possesses and integrates those in various projects the same way.

TBH, it was about time ofcourse that he moved away from his old choreography of sped up round kicks and jumping back kicks in slow-mo filmed from a low angle :wink:

So yeah, I like that he's been showing some new stuff the last years, first with the MMA/groundwork, and later (as a performer) bringing wing-chun back into martial arts choreography...

That said, I still think he's better if he's just an actor/performer and not in charge of directing the action. I can't name any other current-day HK choreographers with the same output, cause basically, there aren't any. The genre has been pretty down ever since the wire-fu era of the early '90s, and ever since the 'martial arts' movies that have been coming out were either the poetic fantasy type after the Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon success, or the big war with large armies and horses and weapons type, which bore me, and more recently a small return to proper kung fu stories, yet often ruined by poor casting and even poorer CGI.

Fearless (Jet Li) and later Ip Man are 2 of only a few examples of proper martial arts movies, and even those 2 really can't compete with the best in the genre.

Looking purely at it all from a martial arts cinema perspective, it seems Donnie really hasn't made the classic martial arts movies we all wanted him to make. Iron Monkey and Ip Man are great ofcourse, but there's very little else in the period-piece MA movies that really stands out. And I don't think he did the choreography on either of those, although I'm sure he had his input...

So yeah, he has a huge output and he's now pretty much the only guy in HK who brings some original stuff to the table, but sadly that's more because the competition seems to be missing in action(!) (no pun intended)

And you say Ip Man 3 is probably better than most shit he's doing. Are you always this probable lol? Let's not generalize here and just watch the films you haven't seen yet before making a final judgment. :wink2:

At least Ip Man 3 would be grounded hand-to-hand combat in a period-piece. That alone makes it more promising than most other projects he's doing now. :smile:

But it's Donnie Yen so I will watch it regardless!!

Yes exactly. I pretty much have to watch anything Donnie.

ShaOW!linDude

I'm glad he's doing a 3rd Ip Man film.

The 1st was soooo good. The 2nd had its moments but didn't seem to be so Wing Chun based as the 1st, which along with some pretty unrealistic fight sequences really hampered the film.

If the 3rd will delve into the Wing Chun style and showcase more of it, stay away from hammy Western fighter stereotypes and any sort of "wire fu", and have about 3 killer "boss" fights.....then as far as I'm concerned, it'd be a winner.

Oh, and 3D sux!!!!!!!

That said, I still think he's better if he's just an actor/performer and not in charge of directing the action.

I respect that but I beg to differ. Of course, different choreographers means different styles but in the end the most important thing is to emphasize and composite every detail in shooting a successful and memorable fight scene. Camerawork, editing, movements, sound effects, conviction, execution, pacing, music, lighting/cinematography etc. I feel Donnie has mastered these components throughout years of experiments and integration of different and improvisational techniques while many of the veterans and sub-choreographers are still stuck with the traditional methods of setting up fight scenes in HK action.

Most people who have directed Donnie's fight scenes in the past 10 years have done decently but their work haven't been as valuable (in terms of quality and replay) and memorable as Donnie's. However, if there is one flaw in Donnie's choreography it's his habit of applying the strengths of his style to his own skills mostly which would leave less for his co-stars to show off. That's slowly improving though (The Lost Bladesman, Wu Xia).

Fearless (Jet Li) and later Ip Man are 2 of only a few examples of proper martial arts movies, and even those 2 really can't compete with the best in the genre.

That's because there's nothing new shown in those films. It was just Woo Ping and Sammo revisiting the stuff they did 30 years ago. Ip Man is the closest but even the choreography was quite conventional. In terms of creativity alone, there are quite alot of films that CAN compete with the ones that tried to create. It's not like every single film showed something original back in those times. Whenever a film brought something original or fresh, that would be the the concept to cash on until something different was created. This pattern has played out for very long and still does.

Looking purely at it all from a martial arts cinema perspective, it seems Donnie really hasn't made the classic martial arts movies we all wanted him to make.

We all want? Considering that people have different preferences, you can't really say what films people want Donnie to make. Otherwise, people wouldn't complain this much. As far as pure/action-packed MA films goes, that's going a different route nowadays. Besides, action films are just like any genre that all have a basis to progress from so I don't believe that MA films have to be filled with action all the time. That is just a sloppily misplaced concept for those that can't appreciate the strengths of storytelling. Of course, it would be a glory if more such films would be produced since the genre has indeed been lacking in genuine and proper display of real physical skills and the talents to do so. But looking at people's reactions whenever different MA films are coming out, it's easy to understand why we all are being divided in taste.

But to stick with your subject, I think Donnie has made several classics regardless if he was choreographing the action, if the films are action-packed or have stand-out moments in mostly story/acting-driven films, and if people like the films or not. Drunken Tai Chi, In The Line Of Duty 4, Tiger Cage 2, Once Upon A Time In China 2, Iron Monkey, Legend Of The Wolf, SPL, Flash Point, Ip Man 1 & 2.

odioustrident

I guess it's good to have hardcore Donnie fandom on a kung fu film forum... but come on now!

Whenever a film brought something original or fresh, that would be the the concept to cash on until something different was created. This pattern has played out for very long and still does.

Donnie is often doing the same thing, maybe tacking on a handful of new ideas, and his level of divergence from the norm here is definitely within the normal range set by the last 40 plus years of the industry.

Just in it for discussions. Nothing wrong with that.

Donnie is often doing the same thing, maybe tacking on a handful of new ideas

What does that even mean? :rolleyes: Of course he tacking on new ideas so there's no way he could often do the same thing.

his level of divergence from the norm here is definitely within the normal range set by the last 40 plus years of the industry.

Doing something new is very, very hard to do these days. It goes for everyone. It's unfortunate what the genre has gone through since the prime period but that's how it is. The progression is slow but at least there are people for the genre to progress.

Archived