Runtime of the uncut Big Boss... potentially...

OldPangYau

Usually I would say "here we go again" when someone posts something about the uncut version of The Big Boss, but this really caught my attention...

I was checking out reeleast.com for Big Boss media, when I saw this:

0223.jpeg

Now, I've seen 103 minutes incorrectly listed as the runtime before, but in this case, they actually go as far as to say how many feet of film it is, which is 9,284. With 90 feet of film equaling one minute of runtime, that means that the cut they mentioned was indeed 103.15 minutes long.

Aside from this, I wondered when this was printed, and then I came to this page:

0420.jpeg

It mentions May 1970 as when Golden Harvest was first established, and then follows up with "20 months later", putting it at January 1972. As TBB had only been out for three months at that point, it's unlikely that they already cut the film down so fast, especially "pre-Fist of Fury".

So overall, this looks like the strongest evidence so far as to how much longer the uncut version really is: 103 minutes and 9,284 feet. Since the current mainstream cuts average to 99 to 100 minutes (at 24fps film speed), that means it's only 3-4 minutes longer. And here I thought it was going to be 5-10 minutes. But damn it, I still want to see that 3-4 minutes! :tongue:

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Great work super sleuth!

:nerd:

Thanks :wink: Literal film length (not run time "film length") is always a good indicator, and I've never seen just how long the film was in feet until seeing that pamphlet.

AdmiralKirk

That's all we need to confirm that The Big Boss was extended originally. I bet that private collector has that 3-4 minutes of extra film, that SOB needs to stop being a arrogant and greedy man. He needs to do the right thing and give back Bruce's legacy.

Son Of A Gun

3 -4 minutes is quite a long time in film-world.

Some say the full uncut version was only shown at the first few premiers. Others say it was cut down after a week. (Which is probably the period of time that the premiers happened over. Including those Boy Scout events.

So who knows?! Either way, good detective work Old Friend. :wink:

3 -4 minutes is quite a long time in film-world.

Some say the full uncut version was only shown at the first few premiers. Others say it was cut down after a week. (Which is probably the period of time that the premiers happened over. Including those Boy Scout events.

So who knows?! Either way, good detective work Old Friend. :wink:

Thanks! And that possibility of being trimmed after a week makes me think that we could be in an even stickier situation... two different longer versions. The 103 min version here, and perhaps one even longer. After all, we've all heard that the saw scene was supposedly only in the premiere run, who knows if some other cut scenes were trimmed then, while others were briefly left unscathed!

It reminds me of the time when I was on the hunt for the film Darker Than Amber for my dad, as it supposedly had one of the most brutal on screen brawls of all time. After constant searching, I found it... only to discover that it was a cut for tv/PG-rerelease and not the original R version. Took a few more years to find the true uncut version.

In short, the only thing worse than a rare version of a film is a rare version that's not as rare as yet another version... Metropolis fell victim to this as well. "With some missing footage!" (cut to roughly 10 years later) "With ALL missing footage!"

Of course, these are all just theories...

And MPM, you know, you're already finished... I think I'll do it a different way... here I can save a little money... then I'm gonna take a long rest in Papeete, what do you think?

I couldnt find a topic on it so Im asking..has anyone, anywhere released the Big Boss with the uncut missing footage?

There has been no official UNCUT release of the Hong Kong premiere version of The Big Boss to date.

JohnnieFreeze

There has been no official UNCUT release of the Hong Kong premiere version of The Big Boss to date.

Too bad..I heard a while back about an uncut coming out of Turkey or something..oh well.

Keep checking those old pd vhs tapes; one of them does contain some extra gore (the table saw going through the body early on, Bruce's discovery of his slain cousins). I rented it back in the early 80s and it nearly made me lose my lunch as I was unprepared for it. God how I wish I kept (stole) that rental or at least, made a dupe of it back then. Been searching for it ever since with zero luck (as you'd imagine).

Archived