The Mighty Peking Man (1977)

shaolinkng7

shaolinkng7

I am still thinking of getting the Asian version of "Mighty Peking Man" where you can actually see the late Evelyne Kraft's breasts among other things instead of the PG-13 version that Quentin Tarantino released a few years ago. But it still makes a good kiddie movie. The other night when some kids were watching it the scene came on where Danny Lee and Evelyne Kraft are romping around the jungle and the song "Could it be I'm in love ( Maybe )" starts playing. I could have sworn the song was a minor hit here in the United States, or at least that I had heard it somewhere else before I herd it during the Peking Man movie. Another family member asked the name of the artist who sang the song and I could not remember. I tried looking the song up on the Internet but it does not seem to exist. It is not on the movie's credits either.

Does anyone here know the name and artist of the song. I would also like to know if it is also on the Hong Kong version, if it was included on World Northal's release under the name "Goliathon" ( I do not remember hearing the song when it aired on television ) and if it is worth getting the Celestial version.

Killer Meteor
I am still thinking of getting the Asian version of "Mighty Peking Man" where you can actually see the late Evelyne Kraft's breasts among other things instead of the PG-13 version that Quentin Tarantino released a few years ago. But it still makes a good kiddie movie. The other night when some kids were watching it the scene came on where Danny Lee and Evelyne Kraft are romping around the jungle and the song "Could it be I'm falling in love ( Maybe)" starts playing. I could have sworn the song was a minor hit here in the United States, or at least that I had heard it somewhere else before I herd it during the Peking Man movie. Another family member asked the name of the artist who sang the song and I could not remember. I tried looking the song up on the Internet but it does not seem to exist. It is not on the movie's credits either.

Does anyone here know the name and artist of the song. I would also like to know if it is also on the Hong Kong version, if it was included on World Northal's release under the name "Goliathon" ( I do not remember hearing the song when it aired on television ) and if it is worth getting the Celestial version.

Actually, from memory, the breasts aren't in the HK DVD either, but they are on the original theatrical trailer.

There was a song with that name released in '77 by the Detroit Spinners, but it doesn't appear to be the same song

shaolinkng7

Every time I searched for the song on the Internet the results are either the Spinners, Minnie Ripperton, or the Bee Gees. None of those songs are the one in the movie. Here is the scene with the song on Youtube.

The bare breasts were filmed. A well known behind the scenes story had the Chinese crew shocked at how little effort it was to convince Kraft to strip for the camera. Asian actresses usually demand a body double for the nipple shots. The real actress wears at leas a bra on the set and then the body double is brought in for the tight shots of the naked body. Evelyne being European thought nothing about removing here clothes. As seen in the trailer the breasts were filmed. I think the print used by Tarantino was the Hong Kong print with the Englis dubbed soundtrack added. Had it been the American print the title should have been "Goliathon" and to the best of my recollection would have only had English credits. I am pretty sure "Goliathon" had the nudity because I recall that the television version had obvious edits during those scenes which were detectable in the soundtrack. They would have appeared in the North American theatrical release because in 1976 - 77 they still allowed women's bare breasts in PG movies. Jessica Lange's breasts were visible in "King Kong". "Jaws", "Logan's Run" and "The Big Bus" also had bare breasts. As far as I know there were some territories in China that forbade nudity while others allowed it. If the Hong Kong DVD is also missing the nudity then it was sourced from the censored print.

Necro post FTW!!!

Just finished my first viewing of this, and have the same question. I to remember this song years ago, yet no clue on the right song title, or singer...even typing lyrics into google brings nothing. :|

Haha, I just watched that youtube clip, have no idea about the song but how doped up was that leopard?:xd:

I saw this years ago, can't remember to much about it but remember being disappointed, maybe I need to give it another watch.

Haha, I just watched that youtube clip, have no idea about the song but how doped up was that leopard?:xd:

I saw this years ago, can't remember to much about it but remember being disappointed, maybe I need to give it another watch.

LOL that leopard was GOLD. Even better is the "leaving the jungle" scene...I swear they made the leopard cry/have a runny nose...you can't help but laugh.

I just watched this entertaining car-crash of a movie, what was Rumne Shaw thinking? Hilarious from start to end (though i believe the HK version fares slightly better).

How did this come to be made. Where they trying to get this out before the 1976 verion of King Kong (and therefore cash-in first) ? The budget looks huge for a Shaw fim and I'm amazed it wasn't a co-production. Ku Feng as an entrepeneur cum-rapist(!) and Danny Lee as an explorer! And one major special effect in the form of Evelyne Kraft who was goofy and gorgeous all at the same time. MPM himself was a tad disapointing with all his chest-beating, whoever was in the suit was no Rick Baker for sure!

I read that this did poorly in HK too:sad:, must have been down to the sad ending:ooh:

Killer Meteor
I just watched this entertaining car-crash of a movie, what was Rumne Shaw thinking? Hilarious from start to end (though i believe the HK version fares slightly better).

How did this come to be made. Where they trying to get this out before the 1976 verion of King Kong (and therefore cash-in first) ? The budget looks huge for a Shaw fim and I'm amazed it wasn't a co-production. Ku Feng as an entrepeneur cum-rapist(!) and Danny Lee as an explorer! And one major special effect in the form of Evelyne Kraft who was goofy and gorgeous all at the same time. MPM himself was a tad disapointing with all his chest-beating, whoever was in the suit was no Rick Baker for sure!

I read that this did poorly in HK too:sad:, must have been down to the sad ending:ooh:

I hear that this was meant to pre-empt the 76'Kong but it encountered significant delays. This is probably of Shaw's most entertaining movies!

I hear that this was meant to pre-empt the 76'Kong but it encountered significant delays. This is probably of Shaw's most entertaining movies!

Good to hear!

I picked up the R4 Siren DVD a year ago when I bought every SB DVD I could get hold of over here in New Zealand and was always a bit wary about watching it....

Chinatown Kid

This cheesy flick is worth watching just for Eveleyn Kraft's smoking hot ass! :angel: Wonder what she's up to these days?

makes you wonder why they even filmed bare-breasted nude scenes for this film with her - WHAT were they all thinking when they did this thing, which later be considered a masterpiece of pure insanity?

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
This cheesy flick is worth watching just for Eveleyn Kraft's smoking hot ass! :angel: Wonder what she's up to these days?

Yes, she really is hotter than Georgia asphalt in this!

Sadly, Eveleyn passed away on January 13, 2009 at the age of only 57. :squigglemouth:

makes you wonder why they even filmed bare-breasted nude scenes for this film with her - WHAT were they all thinking when they did this thing, which later be considered a masterpiece of pure insanity?

It's been a long, long time since I saw the film, but I don't recall her being topless. Did they film it, but then not use it? Or do I need to rewatch this right away? :angel:

no it was not used in the Movie. only the Original HK Trailer shows the uncensored shots. and a Poster shows a nipple creeping out of the Bikini :D

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
no it was not used in the Movie. only the Original HK Trailer shows the uncensored shots. and a Poster shows a nipple creeping out of the Bikini :D

Thanks for the info. Where can I see that trailer? Is it on the IVL DVD?

I have a mag interview with Kraft in which she mentions MPK. I recall she felt isolated because barely anyone spoke English.

That is a weird situation. I've been on both sides of that circumstance on different ocassions. It certainly made me more conscious in latter situations to try to communicate in a friendly, inclusive manner with those whose language was in the minority.

the Original HK Trailer is only on the French and German DVDs. i think it's not on youtube. didn't check thoroughly. if it's not i can upload it (via private link)

Chinatown Kid
Yes, she really is hotter than Georgia asphalt in this!

Sadly, Eveleyn passed away on January 13, 2009 at the age of only 57. :squigglem

Sorry to hear that man, at least we have her captured on film in her magnificent prime. It's a shame Deadly Angels never got the remastered treatment, who could forget her in those skin tight daisy dukes! :tongue:

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Sorry to hear that man, at least we have her captured on film in her magnificent prime. It's a shame Deadly Angels never got the remastered treatment, who could forget her in those skin tight daisy dukes! :tongue:

Oh? :ooh: I've never seen it. Is it an Asian film?

Chinatown Kid
Oh? :ooh: I've never seen it. Is it an Asian film?

It's a Shaw film about a bunch of undercover policewomen trying to bust a diamond smuggling ring, I think it was inspired by the American tv show Charlie's Angels which was popular at the time. It also starred the sexy Da Na and Tony Liu played one of the undercover agents boyfriend. Kraft played the policewomen's boss. I'm surprised you didn't see this on Black Belt Theatre back in the day, I know you growed up on that too like me. :smile:

Think KFB knows this film better as "The Bob Squad" :wink:

It's a shame Deadly Angels never got the remastered treatment, who could forget her in those skin tight daisy dukes! :tongue:

This one really wasn’t to my taste. Sure, it’s cheesy fun but I can’t help but feel it was walking this weird “nearly exploitation” line that it never really crosses. I felt like it needed to cross that line. Either that or it needed to be more balls to the wall crazy like The Super Inframan. Besides some questionable animal stuff, this one played it very safe.

I’m not saying it’s a bad movie. It’s just not for me. 
Also, it feels very out of place on Arrow’s Shawscope set.

• Like 5

The only thing I have to say about this movie is that it dosent give a damn 😆 

I wanna mention though that the interview with Ho Meng Hua is great . He goes over a lot of his movies and gives a lot of cool info about them  and some of the actors ( although he dosent mention Mighty Peking Man at all lol)  . A few things that stood out were why Lady Hermit was Cheng Pei Pei’s last movie and that The Flying Guillotine was his favorite movie he directed . He also gives the reason why Yueh Hua stopped playing the monkey in The Journey To The West series ( and it’s kinda funny ) . Great interview . 

• Like 4