Shogun Assassin Blu ray release?!

waywardsage

waywardsage

Does anyone have the new Animeigo Blu ray release of Shogun Assassin? I have the original Lone Wolf & Cub boxed set. But i've never seen the Shogun Assassin edits. How is the image quality? Are the rest of the LW&C films in the "Shogun Assassin" edits but just dubbed?

Are we essentially getting a backdoor HD version of the full LW&C films?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the dub is crap, and cookie-cutting the first 2 movies into 1 destroys the first movie. I would save your money for the Lone Wolf and Cub blu-ray set.

James

I would save your money for the Lone Wolf and Cub blu-ray set.

Is there gonna be a LW&C blu-ray set?

• Administrator

Hey brothers and sisters, usually I am completely against any kind of editing/ messing about with films. I want to see them in their original form. Another preference of mine, with few exceptions (like the Shaw Brothers and THE STREET FIGHTER movies), is I like watching films in their original languages- not dubbed. But for me, SHOGUN ASSASSIN is a very special exception to both of those statements. Though I love all of the original un-tampered with LONE WOLF AND CUB films, this kooky little re-edit/merging of the first two films is definitely a favorite.

Other than SHOGUN ASSASSIN, I only ever saw one of the other dubbed versions of the films, and that was LIGHTNING SWORDS OF DEATH which is actually the dubbed version of BABY CART AT HADES (1972, aka. Lone Wolf and Cub 3; Baby Cart 3; Shogun Assassin 2: Lightning Swords of Death). It was viewed as a pan and scan VHS tape, and I honestly don't know if I even watched the whole thing as the severe cropping was maddening. :squigglemouth:

So when AnimEigo released the dubbed versions of the films on DVD, I only ever picked up SHOGUN ASSASSIN (I think that was my fourth DVD version of the film, but I just had to support the official release). I had no interest in the others. But when Amazon recently put the SHOGUN ASSASSIN Blu-Ray boxed set on sale for what it would normally cost to buy one Blu-Ray... :smile: I spent some of my Amazon Christmas Gift Card on it. Basically I figured "Hey, now I have SHOGUN ASSASSIN on Blu-Ray, and maybe someday I might take a peek at the other dubbed films as they are presented in widescreen and I was slightly curious.

When the set arrived I was surprised to see that it included some special features. :bigsmile: I didn't know that this set had any extras (a rarity for AnimEigo releases). So for those interested, here they are:

SHOGUN ASSASSIN Blu-Ray 5 Disc Boxed Set Special Features:

SHOGUN ASSASSIN

-Audio Commentary featuring David Weisman (Producer), Jim Evans (Illustrator of the SHOGUN ASSASSIN poster art) and Gibran Evans (Voice dubber of Diagoro).

-Audio Commentary featuring film scholar Ric Meyers and martial arts expert Steve Watson.

-Samuel L. Jackson Interview (HD; 12:43).

-SHOGUN ASSASSIN Trailer (HD; 2:35)

-Restoration Gallery (HD; 3:45)

-Program Notes

(The above Special Features also appear on the stand alone Blu-Ray of SHOGUN ASSASSIN as well)

SHOGUN ASSASSIN 2-5

-Program Notes

-Cast and Credits- English translations for all of the Japanese credits throughout the films. (Did you guys realize that one of the actors who plays a member of the Masters of Death in film 2 went on to play Retsudo Yagyu in the later films? :smile: How'd I miss that?!)

SHOGUN ASSASSIN 4

-Trailer (HD; 2:09)

SHOGUN ASSASSIN 5

-Trailer (HD; 1:36)

So far I've listened to an hour of the audio commentary with the producer, artist, and dub actor, and it's great! A few tidbits... Arnold Schwarzenegger is a fan, the film wouldn't have been made if not for pot dealers (!), and the guy that "directed" it played "Bobby" in THE HILLS HAVE EYES (1977)! :smile: Say what?!:tongue:

The interview with Samuel L. Jackson was short, but very entertaining

I'm curious... like a person craning their head to see a car accident... about the Ric Meyers audio commentary (I'm not familiar with his commentary co-host Steve Watson). I've never heard him do one for a Japanese film before. But credit where credit is due- if it wasn't for Ric, I wouldn't have known that SHOGUN ASSASSIN was a re-edit of films from a whole series. I read this way back in 1986 when his book From Bruce Lee to the Ninjas: Martial Arts Movies (co-written with Amy Harlib, Bill Palmer and Karen Palmer) came out. And I immediately started searching for the original films. I found them as fairly dark, Japanese language boots of the Japanese VHS releases. No subtitles. No problem (as Jeff Speakman would say). They were still amazing! :nerd:

Even though I just re-watched the entire LONE WOLF AND CUB film series on Blu-Ray, I think I'm going to check out these dubbed versions as well. I'll let you guys know what I think. In the meantime, if you want to check out reviews of these two boxed sets, here are links to a Blu-Ray review site that I like a lot...

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Shogun-Assassin-Box-Set-Blu-ray/38202/#Review

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Shogun-Assassin-Blu-ray/11719/#Review

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Lone-Wolf-and-Cub-Complete-Blu-ray/49564/#Review

• Administrator
Kung Fu Bob you are a good man... Keep us educated and keep the genre alive bro!!!

LOL Thanks man. :wink:

Archived