Lack of dvds

Killer Meteor

Killer Meteor

The market has really dried up. Aside from the token Shaw release, there's nothing. The Golden Harvest catalogue remains unexploited in the US, the UK market is purely reissues. Unlike the horror and sci-fi genres, there is no dedicated cult label (Blue Underground, Synapse) who takes much of a chance on the old HK kung fu films. Code Red did release a few but they are in financial troubles - much like the entire DVD market.

Although the first six years of DVD saw a lot of old school releases in the US, a lot were severely below par for DVD quality, as were the numerous HK "re-masters" - sorry, call me a geek, but PAL-NTSC transfers and horrid remix do not count as a dvd to keep in my book.

At least Criterion and Animego keep up the great Japanese samurai releases!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Killer Meteor
Even the TRULY GREAT Hong Kong movies are neglected. NO ONE cares. :(

It strikes me as weird that there is not one decent dvd of DRUNKEN MASTER, POLICE STORY or MAGNIFICENT BUTCHER out there.

It strikes me as weird that there is not one decent dvd of DRUNKEN MASTER, POLICE STORY or MAGNIFICENT BUTCHER out there.

That's a great point. It's very bizarre.

TibetanWhiteCrane

Hey, Mark do you know if the UK version of DM 2 that is coming soon is just the same Disney cut as the US version??

Drunken Monk

Is the Dragon Dynasty version of "Police Story" poor? I bought it last month but have yet to sit down and give it a go.

Killer Meteor
Is the Dragon Dynasty version of "Police Story" poor? I bought it last month but have yet to sit down and give it a go.

Yeah - the colors and contrast are messed up, the remix is bad and the mono track goes out of sync.

Drunken Monk

It genuinely frustrates me that any old turgid mess of a horror film gets picked up for distribution or re-release, while kung fu classics fall by the wayside. Is there really that much demand for shit horror films?

"The Burning Moon" was released within the last two weeks and it's a fucking TERRIBLE film. Granted, it's gore levels have seldom been matched, but it's still awful.

And yet "Masked Avengers" remains nowhere to be seen! It's crazy. Of course, this is bias because I adore the genre (though I like horror too), but that doesn't prevent me yearning for more and more classics to be released.

It genuinely frustrates me that any old turgid mess of a horror film gets picked up for distribution or re-release, while kung fu classics fall by the wayside. Is there really that much demand for shit horror films?

"The Burning Moon" was released within the last two weeks and it's a fucking TERRIBLE film. Granted, it's gore levels have seldom been matched, but it's still awful.

And yet "Masked Avengers" remains nowhere to be seen! It's crazy. Of course, this is bias because I adore the genre (though I like horror too), but that doesn't prevent me yearning for more and more classics to be released.

I love horror, too. And like the OP stated, I wish MA films received the same attention. While I'm happy that there are great releases of Fulci, and Argento films, I'm pissed off that there aren't any for too many classic MA films.

I'm guessing it has much more to do with the cost of licensing titles like Masked Avengers vs a title like The Burning Moon.

I agree it sucks though!

Originally Posted by Drunken Monk

Unfortunately yes, there is! The typically white male audience lapping up x-treme horror / slasher / zombie and what not garbage is infinitely larger than the one for Asian MA or Kung Fu films. And demand or rather the apparent lack of it regulates the DVD market, nothing else. If, for instance, any of all those wonderful Shaw titles licensed by the likes of DD, MB, Funi or Image (or Momentum Asia in the UK or MiB in Germany for that matter) would have brought in any profit, we’d already seen an onslaught of new titles. Simple.

Recently I spend some time on one of those notorious DVD fairs in Frankfurt, Germany that thrives on selling so-called “FSK 18 films” (over 18 fare which can be sold in regular shops or online only under severe restrictions). I mean, the tables were literally groaning under the collective weight of horror flicks. You had to look real hard to locate the niche spaces where Kung Fu films (or any other HK films) were chucked into.

Guest Markgway
Hey, Mark do you know if the UK version of DM 2 that is coming soon is just the same Disney cut as the US version??

Exactly the same.

Never seen anything regarding a UK release for DM2 (even if it is cut) on Play, Amazon etc, anybody know when it is coming out?

The Silver Fox

I thought The Tri Star Drunken Master is alright,correct aspect ratio,uncut,Eng and Canto language Eng subs,trailers etc. Same for Dragon Dynasty Police Story and Fortune Star(Reg 1&3) Magnificent Butcher, not perfect but they are at least decent.

I think the only way you're gonna get perfect releases is if you go the Japan route although you could probably mortgage a house with what some of their DVD's go for.

TibetanWhiteCrane

the thing is there is no price, no release date and Nothing on other sites either. HMV have had a page for Legend of the Drunken Master on their website like that for years. I must say I find it interesting that in just over three weeks there's going to be a Blu-ray but no DVD, seemingly.

Killer Meteor
I thought The Tri Star Drunken Master is alright,correct aspect ratio,uncut,Eng and Canto language Eng subs,trailers etc. Same for Dragon Dynasty Police Story and Fortune Star(Reg 1&3) Magnificent Butcher, not perfect but they are at least decent.

I think the only way you're gonna get perfect releases is if you go the Japan route although you could probably mortgage a house with what some of their DVD's go for.

The Cantonese track on Drunken Master is missing lots of dialogue, and therefore jumps into English.

DD's Police Story - bad picture quality due to DD tampering with the master, awful 5.1 remix, original mono out of sync.

Magnificent Buter - remix only on R1 - can anyone vouch for the R3 having genuine in-sync mono?

thedirtytiger

Frankly, I am not surprised there is a lack of dvd's, in fact I am surprised there are still as many as there given that if it costs more than $1 everybody goes to download it instead. Many companies are closing due to the god damn pirates, especially hard to swallow was the passing of Vengeance Video and Rarescope ( r.i.p. ). Yet when anyone tries to take any positive action against said pirates, everybody complains ''oh no, it's our human first amendment right to download stuff for free....'' Sooner or later, some time in the bleak future, people will stop making proper movies altogether as there is NO money left to be made from it.

Archived