Top 100 films of the 1980s

DiP

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Markgway

Didn't know there was a vote going on. Surprised nobody mentioned it here until now.

Many great choices there (Killer Constable, The Victim, Kids from Shaolin, Heart of Dragon, Righting Wrongs)...

... a few duds as expected (The Crazy Companies 2, The Boxer's Omen, We're Going to Eat You, The Truth, Love Massacre).

Guest Markgway

Thumbs up for My Heart is that Eternal Rose, The Shaolin Temple, Dreadnaught, In the Line of Duty 4, Wild Search, Winners & Sinners, Millionaires' Express, School on Fire, Encounter of the Spooky Kind, My Young Auntie.

Thumbs down for Security Unlimited (not a Hui Bros fan, but even so I felt this was the least enjoyable of their films), Dangerous Encounter - 1st Kind (Unfocused nihilism, Tsui didn't hit his stride until Zu).

Guest Markgway

Thumbs up for: Armour of God, Project A II, Eight Diagram Pole Fighter, Miracles, Eastern Condors, Dragons Forever, The Prodigal Son, Wheels on Meals, Prison on Fire, Zu, Rouge, Mr. Vampire.

Thumbs down for: "Too bad POLICE STORY only ranked #104 in this reader vote."

Not a fan of All About Ah-Long or Long Arm of the Law either.

Thumbs down for: "Too bad POLICE STORY only ranked #104 in this reader vote."

You know that's sarcasm, right?

I also am not much for Long arm of the Law. I really like the filming of the Kowloon Walled City in the final scene, but apart from that, it always seemed like standard crime fare to me.

masterofoneinchpunch

Police Story not in the top 10 seems quite wrong. I was thinking that they were joking around about it, but we will see.

I like Long Arm of the Law, though I thought it was a bit overrated by Hong Kong critics (I have no issue with it being in the top 100 for the 80s decade and I believe it belongs there). The big strength of it is the cinéma vérité approach and influence of later filmmakers added with the critical reception it received when it was made (and now like the HKFA list and the even more recent Time Out top 100 HK list from a few days ago) almost ensure you would see a spot on a top film list like this.

Guest Markgway

I think LAOTL doesn't live up to its reputation (too many of the celebrated new wave films don't). Frankly I much preferred the first sequel.

masterofoneinchpunch
I think LAOTL doesn't live up to its reputation (too many of the celebrated new wave films don't). ...

That's pretty much how I felt with Butterfly Murders and I felt that with LAOTL as well, though came to appreciate it more after reviewing it and reading critical analysis of the film.

From the list:

"By the way, if you can’t guess the last five films in this countdown then you seriously need to attend remedial Hong Kong Film 101."

so what are your guesses?

Guest Markgway

Who voted for these??

As Tears Go By - One of Wong Kar-Wai's weakest films.

An Autumn's Tale - I don't get the love for this. Chow and Cherie have done better TOGETHER.

God of Gamblers - Really? An average Wong Jing film in the top ten?

No arguments with City on Fire and Project A - both classics.

-God of Gamblers is a sentimental favorite for people who saw it when it first came out. Personally, I wouldn't include it in my top 500 films from HK, but it was huge in the 80's (throughout all of South East Asia) and the 5000 bad gambling films that came after owe it to this film.

-As Tears Go By is popular by association. People fell in love with Wong Kar Wai in the 90's, so this film gets bunched with all the rest of his classics, even though it's just an average film. It's popularity by proxy isn't hurt by who the lead stars are in it, either.

-It wasn't in my top 10, but I did vote for An Autumn's Tale in my top 20. In portraying the Chinese immigrant experience in the United States, it hits all the right cylinders. The camera work is also beautiful, especially during the wide, long shots of New York's Chinatown circa the 1980's. Chow Yun Fat and Cherie Chung are also in top form; the only two other of their works together I rate are Wild Search and the Story of Woo Viet: The Story of Woo Viet just barely missed making my list, and Wild Search made it higher on my list. Also, it's a good HK production filmed in the US. That is a feat in itself.

masterofoneinchpunch
Who voted for these??

As Tears Go By - One of Wong Kar-Wai's weakest films.

Completely agree with this. If this movie did not have Wong's name associated with it, would as many people care about the film? It seems too indebted to Mean Streets and Stranger Than Paradise.

City on Fire and Project A (which I prefer over the sequel, but like them both) are in my opinion no-brainers.

I'm thinking we are going to see Police Story, The Killer, A Better Tomorrow (and Peking Opera Blues :)) in the top 5.

Great, I can't think of what the fifth is ... Aces Go Places II :D

Guest Markgway
-God of Gamblers is a sentimental favorite for people who saw it when it first came out. Personally, I wouldn't include it in my top 500 films from HK, but it was huge in the 80's (throughout all of South East Asia) and the 5000 bad gambling films that came after owe it to this film.

You're probably right about nostalgia and reputation but as a film it's not even as good as Challenge of the Gamesters.

It wasn't in my top 10, but I did vote for An Autumn's Tale in my top 20. In portraying the Chinese immigrant experience in the United States, it hits all the right cylinders. The camera work is also beautiful, especially during the wide, long shots of New York's Chinatown circa the 1980's. Chow Yun Fat and Cherie Chung are also in top form; the only two other of their works together I rate are Wild Search and the Story of Woo Viet: The Story of Woo Viet just barely missed making my list, and Wild Search made it higher on my list. Also, it's a good HK production filmed in the US. That is a feat in itself.

I haven't seen the film in years, but checking my notes I was really tough on it. I think my expectations were set high; no wonder when it received (and continues to receive) so much praise. I found it utterly ordinary, apart from the NYC setting, with dull, aloof characters. Did I care if Chow and Cherie got it on? Nope. Wild Search (a personal fave) and The Story of Woo Viet are much better.

TibetanWhiteCrane

God Of Gamblers is a stone cold HK classic, and belongs in that spot. But then again, I would also put The Last Blood in the top 10..... im probably alone on that one.

As Tears Go By... the only WKW movie I can sit through without being distracted by the lint in my navel or dozing off!

Also thought that The Big Heat should have been way higher on that list!

Guest Markgway
God Of Gamblers is a stone cold HK classic, and belongs in that spot. But then again, I would also put The Last Blood in the top 10..... im probably alone on that one.

Yes... yes you are. :wink:

Archived