UNLUCKY STARS - Martial Arts Comedy Film Homage to Classic 80s Hong Kong!

spidermexican

Robbie the shame is that there aren't many filmmakers making great action packed movies even with a budget. These guys are filling a niche that is sadly missing from martial arts cinema. Hong Kong/Chinese productions have all the gloss and production value in the world, just like any Hollywood movie but tend to lack the thrill and entertainment value of years gone by. To be fair, these type of independent filmmakers put their heart and soul into it and really deliver. They know how to actually perform, choreograph and film some great martial arts fights, do stunts that seems to be missing from more polished productions.

While these films do have flaws you can overlook them because they are so much fun. Looking at Eric Jacobus and the Stuntpeople, Their production values are increasing all the time. But even looking back at Contour Eric brought a lot of humour to his shorts and full features. Not only are you getting action packed movies but personally I probably laugh more at their intentional humour, than 99% of so-called Hollywood comedy movies. And any case, when you get the chance you should try and watch Death Grip to see how much their production values have increased, still on incredibly tight budget.

Personally, I just wish these guys could get properly funded so they could make more movies, more regularly and actually get the wider recognition they deserve

I feel these type of films come across as more a showcase for there skills for them to maybe go on to get work in proper movies.

Film that I recommend as being an excellent film that is an homage to hk cinema is enter the fat dragon but again that had more budget.

Also probably hard justice as hommage to hard boiled

I do not think it takes too much budget to make a solid martial arts film . They used to churn out 100s in Hong Kong in 70s and 80s. I personally do not like wires or cgi so thats a money save right there.

As far as intentional humour i think again is maybe easiest option as if they tried to make a more serious film as viewer you would be more critical..

KenHashibe

Check out this interesting interview with director/star, Dennis Ruel:

http://www.martialartsmoviejunkie.com/2015/05/08/special-unlucky-stars-interview-dennis-ruel/

Thanks so much and I look forward to reading your review.

No problem. A DVD/Blu-ray release (as you know) hasn't been released yet, but I'm still looking forward to it. I'm sorry that the review has been so delayed. SMK and KFB have been very busy, but I hope that it can get published soon. Stay tuned. :wink:

Hello everyone! I wanted to quickly update that Unlucky Stars has locked a distributor, and the production team is in the process of getting it all sorted out so we can finally have a home release for everyone!

http://www.cityonfire.com/the-indie-martial-arts-scene-is-alive-with-unlucky-stars/

Once an official press release is given by the distributor, the team will announce all updates and details on the Facebook page!

Thanks for your patience and support throughout the years! 

• Like 1

One Armed Boxer

Official word from Dennis Ruel posted today -

At last we are proud to announce the OFFICIAL RELEASE of UNLUCKY STARS as our distribution deal has been finalized with 108 Media! 
Unlucky Stars will be available on TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 2nd on these VOD sites:
iTunes
GooglePlay
Vimeo 
Amazon
Xbox 
Vudu

2 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

Official word from Dennis Ruel posted today -

I can't wait to see this movie again! So happy to see it has an official release.

So happy to see it for the first time. Heard alot about this project through different boards over the years and was wondering when it was being released. Hope their next film is serious even though I understand this is a homage film. Just prefer serious action films personally. (the stunts/fights look awesome from the trailer so should be great :D)

Just bought it.

Since a DVD/BD release is not in sight, I went ahead and bought it via VOD.

I was debatting between Amazon, Vudu & Google Play. Since I already have a good amount of movies on both Amazon & Vudu and wanting to build my Google play collection - I went with Google Play and bought the HD version (only version available on GP, Amazon & Vudu both have the SD & HD version).

• Like 3

ShaOW!linDude

This film has probably been all but forgotten about, but recently got a Blu-ray release FINALLY!!!

If you're an indie fan of Dennis Ruel's work with Eric Jacobus and the Stunt People then check this out. It's a very homage to the HK action flicks of the 80's & 90's, has some neat little Easter eggs hidden throughout, and some interesting special features. I ordered it here. The quality is great. It's a Canadian company, so the shipping took a couple of weeks or so.

Unlucky Stars Blu-ray

• Like 2

Drunken Monk
33 minutes ago, ShaOW!linDude said:

This film has probably been all but forgotten about, but recently got a Blu-ray release FINALLY!!!

If you're an indie fan of Dennis Ruel's work with Eric Jacobus and the Stunt People then check this out. It's a very homage to the HK action flicks of the 80's & 90's, has some neat little Easter eggs hidden throughout, and some interesting special features. I ordered it here. The quality is great. It's a Canadian company, so the shipping took a couple of weeks or so.

Unlucky Stars Blu-ray

I’m not sure this is a legit release since the rest of their catalog seems to be bootlegs. Or I guess you can call them customs.

• Like 2

ShaOW!linDude
On 3/8/2021 at 1:09 PM, Drunken Monk said:

I’m not sure this is a legit release since the rest of their catalog seems to be bootlegs. Or I guess you can call them customs.

The link was posted on the official FB page for the film. It certainly doesn't play like a boot. And it's a limited release. Only 500 copies if I recall. I know any past official release got stalled due to distribution dealings. One of the special features is Dennis Ruel being interviewed by one of the guys for Canmade (I believe). Maybe they partnered up to print the Blu-ray.

• Like 4

Drunken Monk
1 hour ago, ShaOW!linDude said:

The link was posted on the official FB page for the film. It certainly doesn't play like a boot. And it's a limited release. Only 500 copies if I recall. I know any past official release got stalled due to distribution dealings. One of the special features is Dennis Ruel being interviewed by one of the guys for Canmade (I believe). Maybe they partnered up to print the Blu-ray.

Wow, that’s both interesting and awesome! Might pick it up now that I know it’s a legit release.

Thanks @ShaOW!linDude

• Like 5