UNLUCKY STARS - Martial Arts Comedy Film Homage to Classic 80s Hong Kong!

spidermexican

One Armed Boxer
Does anybody know the latest on this movie? Maybe if Mr Jacobus happens to come on to the forum he could give Dennis Ruel a call to find out.

I received an e-mail from Dennis Ruel himself yesterday with an update on the movie, it sounds like it'll be coming very soon! -

Huge thanks for your patience with the film! I'm preparing a mass email to all of the indiegogo contributors to update everyone on the post production! I plan to send that out this month with some more BTS. We're so close to the finish line!!!

I sent Dennis an e-mail and got this response:

Thanks for your patience! I'm preparing an email for the indiegogo campaign contributors to update everyone on the status of the post production. The email (or at least a portion of it) will also be posted on the Unlucky Stars facebook page soon. We really planned on having the film finished this year but the lack of funding made its completion extraordinarily difficult - BUT WE FINISHED and have been going through the phases of post-production. We are very close to the final product but it may be awhile before we can start selling the DVD (especially through amazon). Upon completion, we will definitely have enough copies for the campaign's contributors so we will likely have some DVDs left over to sell independently before we make any deal with a distributor. I will definitely keep a record of your email and let you know if there are copies available to sell. We also plan on a festival run and I would be very interested to see what festivals would suit our film in the UK.

Thanks again for your email - I'm glad to know that people haven't forgotten about it! I never anticipated the project taking so long but it's looking great and it will get out there eventually!

Have a great holiday season!

Does anyone from the UK have any thoughts on what festivals would suit this film? I'm afraid I wouldn't have a clue.:squigglemouth:

Does anyone from the UK have any thoughts on what movie festivals would suit this film? I'm afraid I wouldn't have a clue.

maybe a moderator could move this thread to the modern martial arts movie section?

One Armed Boxer

A new behind the scenes clip featuring new footage has just been released, along with an update from Dennis Ruel on the status of the movie.....& it's coming this year!

F-os76IYq2o

spidermexican

Thank you all for sharing! We will be having some more updates hopefully in a few weeks in regards to post production finalizing, and hope to have an official trailer by then too! Please share the BTS around, and keep spreading the word. You guys won't be disappointed. :)

9aqkp3jLipg&feature=youtu.be

ShaOW!linDude

A new post today on the FB page says:

"Happy New Year Everyone! We're proud to announce that the Post Production for Unlucky Stars was finished in December and the film has already been submitted to a few film festivals! Fingers crossed! We're currently arranging a cast/crew screening for both San Francisco and Los Angeles in the next few months. We will update you again VERY soon as venues are secured and as soon as we hear back from festivals!"

A new post today on the FB page says:

"Happy New Year Everyone! We're proud to announce that the Post Production for Unlucky Stars was finished in December and the film has already been submitted to a few film festivals! Fingers crossed! We're currently arranging a cast/crew screening for both San Francisco and Los Angeles in the next few months. We will update you again VERY soon as venues are secured and as soon as we hear back from festivals!"

OOHH sh*t Id be sooo down to go to the SF screening!!

Man, I've been waiting for this movie for a long time. Glad to hear that it's done! :nerd: I'm hoping it gets a Los Angeles screening. :tongue:

One Armed Boxer

I received an update from Dennis Ruel in my inbox today, the fist screeing has been announced!

I'm happy to announce that the post production of Unlucky Stars was completed in December 2014 and has since been submitted to several film festivals! We will announce any festival screenings as soon as we know!

Our first San Francisco Cast and Crew Screening has been scheduled!

Thursday February 19th

Marina Theater at 8pm.

2149 Chestnut Street

SF CA 94123

Ticket details can purchased here: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/unlucky-stars-castncrew-screening-thur-feb-19th-tickets-14939473367

Any of our Indiegogo supporters with donations of $50 or higher will also be placed on the guest list upon request.

Shortly following our SF Cast and Crew Screening, we plan to have one more screening in LA as a decent amount of the cast is from southern California.

& the first of 2 official trailers is out! -

HjxTDQsl0t4

spidermexican

Hey everyone! Long time no post. I have been a bit busy as of late :)

I wanted to update the thread with our latest trailer for Unlucky Stars, detailing more of the story! Check it here:

ZYoZCibCC6g

If you are in the nearby San Francisco area, our first preview screening featuring cast and crew is open to the public! View info and purchase tickets here:

Unlucky Stars Cast and Crew Feb. 19th Screening in San Francisco

Stay updated with film festival screenings and other news via our Facebook page!

http://www.facebook.com/unluckystarsthemovie

Thank you all so much for your continued support! It has been a long and hard road, but 2015 is THE year!

Unlucky Stars is finally coming to the LA area! The movie will be screening at Downtown Independent on March 29, Sunday, at 1:30 PM followed by a cast and crew Q&A. There isn't any info about tickets yet, but pre-sale tickets should be coming soon.

The address is:

251 S Main St, Los Angeles, CA 90012

I hope to make it to this screening and I hope to see you guys there! :wink:

Source:

https://www.facebook.com/UnluckyStarsTheMovie/posts/798170096934604

Pre-sale tickets still haven't been announced, but it says on Facebook that tickets will cost $7 at the door. I'm still very excited for this screening (5 more days!) and I'll probably write a review of the film on SC36 shortly after. :wink:

Can someone let me know when this gets a DVD release to the general public! :tongue:

I've been checking everyday! :tongue: I'll let you know when it gets released. On their Facebook, it says that they're waiting to get the movie into some film festivals in case they get a distribution deal, so it might be a while before it gets released.

BTW I attended the LA premiere last month and I loved it. :bigsmile: I'm hoping my review for it will get published soon. :wink:

the trailer looks abit amateur. i wish people would just make a quality proper film and not some cheap hommage thing. i prefer b-movie like cannon pm entertainment etc use to make.

the trailer looks abit amateur. i wish people would just make a quality proper film and not some cheap hommage thing. i prefer b-movie like cannon pm entertainment etc use to make.

It is a low budget homage film, but I think it's a really damn good homage film. Low production values are expected from independent filmmakers, but I think the movie is still a lot of fun. I'd say don't knock it till you try it. :bigsmile:

i do not want low budget hommage i want proper films. Just make a proper film they tend to get alot of leeway from fans and critics for making films like this. i have seen a few like contour.

the only amateur ones i enjoyed where the short ones at end of on eastern heroes video mag vol 1 and 2 as made me laugh trying to copy john woo and wheels on meals.

But as proper feature films i just feel they do not work.

Robbie the shame is that there aren't many filmmakers making great action packed movies even with a budget. These guys are filling a niche that is sadly missing from martial arts cinema. Hong Kong/Chinese productions have all the gloss and production value in the world, just like any Hollywood movie but tend to lack the thrill and entertainment value of years gone by. To be fair, these type of independent filmmakers put their heart and soul into it and really deliver. They know how to actually perform, choreograph and film some great martial arts fights, do stunts that seems to be missing from more polished productions.

While these films do have flaws you can overlook them because they are so much fun. Looking at Eric Jacobus and the Stuntpeople, Their production values are increasing all the time. But even looking back at Contour Eric brought a lot of humour to his shorts and full features. Not only are you getting action packed movies but personally I probably laugh more at their intentional humour, than 99% of so-called Hollywood comedy movies. And any case, when you get the chance you should try and watch Death Grip to see how much their production values have increased, still on incredibly tight budget.

Personally, I just wish these guys could get properly funded so they could make more movies, more regularly and actually get the wider recognition they deserve

I've been checking everyday! :tongue:I'll let you know when it gets released. On their Facebook, it says that they're waiting to get the movie into some film festivals in case they get a distribution deal, so it might be a while before it gets released.

BTW I attended the LA premiere last month and I loved it. :bigsmile: I'm hoping my review for it will get published soon. :wink:

Thanks so much and I look forward to reading your review.