Bruce Lee: In Pursuit of the Dragon

sdog2006

Hi Guys

This came out yesterday.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0060V6ZJI/ref=s9_simh_gw_p74_d1_g74_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0YJ953D0JDHDA5ZG05BW&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467128533&pf_rd_i=468294

Can anyone give me the vibe? John Little has been "excellent" in the past but I have a bad feeling about this one?

Who are the talking heads? What's good? What's not?

Cheers

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Son Of A Gun

If you like seeing locations of his movies, then you will love this. If not, then you won't.

That simple really. It's purely John visiting the famous locations from each movie and showing how they are today, as well as telling a few facts about the shooting of the films and a brief interview with the prostitute from Way' and the bank manager/location manager from Way' also.

There were scenes of Bruce's old school and roof top haunts in the early french edition, but John cut those out of this version to keep it purely about the movie locations.

I have the early french version. Is this one totally different? I think the running time is the same:squigglemouth::squigglemouth:

If you like seeing locations of his movies, then you will love this. If not, then you won't.

That simple really. It's purely John visiting the famous locations from each movie and showing how they are today, as well as telling a few facts about the shooting of the films and a brief interview with the prostitute from Way' and the bank manager/location manager from Way' also.

There were scenes of Bruce's old school and roof top haunts in the early french edition, but John cut those out of this version to keep it purely about the movie locations.

Well that saves me £9 lol.

Just watched it..

62 minutes, no extras.

Not bad for what it is. Had the potential to be very boring as it is pretty much about locales but John Little does a nice job in making it relatively interesting giving so good background on some of the places as well as a sprinkling of interviews (well, not really long enough to be interviews). Melissa Longo, her husband the bank manager , Chaplain Chang..

There is nothing new to the die hard but accomplishes what it sets out to do as a locale guide...

weirdly now £11.97 on amazon, I got it for £6.40 preordering... :smile:

very steep at that price..

Son Of A Gun

I'm really interested in movie locations....especially the Big Boss locations....so I loved it.

But I would like to have seen more footage of those places, even if it is in the form of bonus features. So be it. I'd like to see everything they shot, since I wont be going there myself.

Not sure why he chose to shoot the Big Boss Bankok creek from the opposite side to what it appears in the movie though. Bit of a wasted op' there.

:smile:

Just watched it..

62 minutes, no extras.

Not bad for what it is. Had the potential to be very boring as it is pretty much about locales but John Little does a nice job in making it relatively interesting giving so good background on some of the places as well as a sprinkling of interviews (well, not really long enough to be interviews). Melissa Longo, her husband the bank manager , Chaplain Chang..

There is nothing new to the die hard but accomplishes what it sets out to do as a locale guide...

weirdly now £11.97 on amazon, I got it for £6.40 preordering... :smile:

very steep at that price..

Think after being a Lee fan for 30 years I've hit the point where I won't just buy anything with his name splashed on it.

Finally I admit that we may have seen everything worth seeing. The fact that John Little, creator of arguably the finest doc on Lee ever, is churning out location guides sums up where we're at.

That doc sounds like a wash out and I'm going nowhere near it.

OpiumKungFuCracker
Think after being a Lee fan for 30 years I've hit the point where I won't just buy anything with his name splashed on it.

Finally I admit that we may have seen everything worth seeing. The fact that John Little, creator of arguably the finest doc on Lee ever, is churning out location guides sums up where we're at.

0la5DBtOVNI

Son Of A Gun

Why say that? I've wanted to see the famous locations for years. John did the right thing. It's the one thing that hadn't properly been covered in a documentary yet. It was inevitable. I'm happy. :bigsmile:

Now you can buy a bottle of cologne and sit right in those spots munching on some crisps, wearing authentic gear, and smell just like.. oh well, never mind.

:crossedlips:

Son Of A Gun

I don't think he did, Karlos. What film was that location used? Doesn't ring a bell.

Unicorn Palm?

Now you can buy a bottle of cologne and sit right in those spots munching on some crisps, wearing authentic gear, and smell just like.. oh well, never mind.

Believe me, I won't be buying any of that crap. I've aired my views quite bluntly to Shannon. :angel:

I do dig old movie locations though. Movies are my thing. :bigsmile:

I think this was the perfect vehicle to get the g.o.d. new territories and rare wotd footage out there.( if they have really been found)

unfortunatly for us John Little is not privy to that footage. :sad:

I will watch anyway, i like his style.

Yes, sonofagun, it was where unicorn palm was shot.

When I visited in 06 the "river" Bruce filmed near is more like a puddle now!

Why say that? I've wanted to see the famous locations for years. John did the right thing. It's the one thing that hadn't properly been covered in a documentary yet. It was inevitable. I'm happy. :bigsmile:

Just my opinion bro.

Take a step back and look at how things have evolved over the years. The whole Bruce Lee business is becoming a maize of bullshit and it won't be getting better any time soon.

In the eighties we got Bruce Lee The Legend

In the nineties the GOD footage was found and we got the complete Canadian interview

In the zeros we got some Ahna Capri footage and have since nailed all of it

In the tens you can buy a replica of Bruce's necklace from The Big Boss, a Bruce Lee lunchbox, a Bruce Lee band with WALK ON written on it and a f*cking IPAD cover.

That last one is a riot right there lol. The poor guy must be spinning in his grave. Oh and lets not forget the endless stream of horseshit documentaries focusing on his God like influence on MMA.

Ask yourself, would MMA have come along without Bruce Lee?

Sorry, it's my bad week!:bigsmile:

Son Of A Gun

No, Myself and everyone else agrees with you on that stuff. It's just don't bring John's locations documentary into it. :(

You haven't even seen it yet.

He did that doc because he wanted to. Because he thought it would be interesting and that fans would be interested. I am, and so are others I know. So there is no problem there. It's a good dvd. If a little short and lacking production value.

But everything else I agree with you on. :smile:

I'm not quite sure what else they are able to do for us though. What else could they fill a documentary with? Everything that seems to be available or a allowed to be released, has been. So what can they put in any new documentaries?

We need the japanese collectors to give up what they've got so the rest of us can see it. Quit hogging it, arseholes.

Amen.

No, Myself and everyone else agrees with you on that stuff. It's just don't bring John's locations documentary into it. :(

You haven't even seen it yet.

He did that doc because he wanted to. Because he thought it would be interesting and that fans would be interested. I am, and so are others I know. So there is no problem there. It's a good dvd. If a little short and lacking production value.

But everything else I agree with you on. :smile:

I'm not quite sure what else they are able to do for us though. What else could they fill a documentary with? Everything that seems to be available or a allowed to be released, has been. So what can they put in any new documentaries?

We need the japanese collectors to give up what they've got so the rest of us can see it. Quit hogging it, arseholes.

Amen.

I'm bringing the documentary into it because "it's too short and lacking in production value." I don't need to see it to confirm that I have POINT BLANK ZERO INTEREST in listening to people who met Bruce Lee for two or three days meshed with a location guide. No offense to you, or John, but it's a sock full of shit.

If you like it that's great stuff.

What else could they fill a documentary with? Nothing, so stop making them.

Japanese collectors? Rumor Mill, believe it when you see it!

Son Of A Gun

But I like interviews with people from the films and seeing what they look like now, and same goes for the iconic locations. :tinysmile_angry2_t:

He didn't have the budget or the compliance of the estate or any other relevant company,

I guess.

I'm interested in the movie side. Not so interested in the martial arts side. Heard about all that before.

I've heard that George Tan has a JKD demonstration film that Bruce and Bob Baker shot on the set of Fist of Fury during breaks in filming. That I want to see! (If it's true) :wink:

But I like interviews with people from the films and seeing what they look like now, and same goes for the iconic locations. :tinysmile_angry2_t:

He didn't have the budget or the compliance of the estate or any other relevant company,

I guess.

I'm interested in the movie side. Not so interested in the martial arts side. Heard about all that before.

What do you want to see in a documentary that hasn't already been done though?

And we know it's 2 or 3 Japanese collectors that own the Capri footage in full and decent quality. We're told that the new territories footage is owned by a collector.

I've heard that George Tan has a JKD demonstration film that Bruce and Bob Baker shot on the set of Fist of Fury during breaks in filming. That I want to see! (If it's true)

Hey, interviews with people who REALLY KNEW Bruce Lee or those who were significant in his life - I'm all for it.

BUT

"How much do you want to change into our currency?"

You've got to be kidding me :tongue:

I'm 36 and have been a fan since 1980, when Fist of Fury was in the local video shop uncut and Enter the Dragon was shown in it's theatrical entirety on ITV.

I was loyal with everything that came out until The Big Boss Platinum Edition by HKL, almost 20 years later, that was the turning point. That's when I realised I was being conned to shit! They created a double disc of The Big Boss out of nothing and put so much crap on it that I'm surprised it didn't include a replica ice pick. I didn't go f*ckin near it!

Age has just made me cynical mate!

We've got the Capri footage and even though the quality is poor, we get the picture, and stuff like that is gold dust.

New Territories? For me nothing other than the guardian reconnaissance footage exists. Everything else was photo shoots and, in 40 years, not one shred of evidence exists to the contrary.

George Tan? JKD Demo? Let him fire up one still of it. One still! Guess what you'll get? ZERO!

The Game of Death outdoor footage DOES exist, i know people who have seen it.

Unfortunately it is in the hands of a Japanese collector who also has 8mm stuff shot on-set of Way of the Dragon.

I doubt if we will ever see it unfortunately, which is what pisses me off.

I too have become jaded, the only footage of Bruce i really want to see (apart from the above) is the TVB interviews and the Henry Wong Enter footage, apart from that there is nothing else as far as i know, the well has truly run dry after that.

Archived