Lynn Collins

Samantha Morton

Mark Strong

Ciarán Hinds

Thomas Haden Church

john_carter_ver6-421x625.jpg

John-Carter.jpg

john-carter-review-3.jpg

Hello ,have anyone watch this movie here already?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I loved it. I thought it was a lot better than any of the Star Wars prequels (although that may not be saying much). I'm not sure why this is apparently turning into a financial disaster for Disney---it really worked for me. I have to say, the trailers kind of turned me off, as it made the movie look more like a generic, run-of-the mill sci-fi movie---but upon actually seeing it, I thought it had a nice story, characters you cared about, nice alien landscapes and great action and FX. Given how it's performing though, I don't think there will be any sequels.

When I heard the title, I thought it was Dr. John Carter from the ER series. I can't believe anyone thought it was a good title - sounded like a joke to me and apparently it bombed with critics and movie audiences.

Laura

I loved it. I thought it was a lot better than any of the Star Wars prequels (although that may not be saying much). I'm not sure why this is apparently turning into a financial disaster for Disney---it really worked for me. I have to say, the trailers kind of turned me off, as it made the movie look more like a generic, run-of-the mill sci-fi movie---but upon actually seeing it, I thought it had a nice story, characters you cared about, nice alien landscapes and great action and FX. Given how it's performing though, I don't think there will be any sequels.

I agree. I enjoyed it quite a bit. I think It's one of those cases where people are using the negative media hype to form an opinion without really knowing anything about the movie itself. Funny thing is, the negative hype was built around the large budget and not the quality of the movie itself. If you look at any reports of overall audience reactions it's actually doing quite well.

When I heard the title, I thought it was Dr. John Carter from the ER series. I can't believe anyone thought it was a good title

I can't tell, but I really hope you are just kidding.

Guest Markgway

Original title was 'John Carter of Mars', but Disney dropped the 'of Mars' late in the day because they felt it sounded too much like science fiction and would put a mass audience off. By most accounts its not the title that's the problem. I saw the trailer last year and thought it looked naff.

When I heard the title, I thought it was Dr. John Carter from the ER series. I can't believe anyone thought it was a good title - sounded like a joke to me and apparently it bombed with critics and movie audiences.

Yeah, Noah Wyle should have made a cameo in this movie. That would've been hilarious.

Looks like a $250m computer-generated bore

I saw the trailer last year and thought it looked naff.

Oh, you say that about everything. :xd:

In case anyone cares, syfy channel made a cheapie version of the story in 2009 called Princess of Mars which they are playing a lot now if you want to see a low budget version of the same story.

ShaOW!linDude

In case anyone cares, syfy channel made a cheapie version of the story in 2009 called Princess of Mars which they are playing a lot now if you want to see a low budget version of the same story.

Yes, by all means watch that. Then you'll gladly pay money to go see this at the theater. That SyFy movie sux!!!!!!!!!!!

Saw this last night (in unnecessary 3-D), and it's very good indeed.

Shame that it's been branded a "flop", as it really doesn't deserve all the negativity that's been swirling around it for months.

Taken on it's own merits, it's a big, deep, pulpy fun romp that looks amazing - every penny of it's huge budget is right before your eyes.

See it on the big screen while you can.

Just came back from seeing it. It was good, but the theater had 5 people in it total. Bad for the movie, but good for my viewing experience.

I saw it and loved, but the marketing sucks. They marketed it like everyone knows who John Carter is. I had to explain that it's based on a book that's a 100 years old. Created by the same guy that created Tarzan. They should've kept the books title which is A Princess of Mars. The action in the previews will bring in the guys, and the Princess thing might entice some women. It's a Disney movie. I thought princess's was their thing.

I saw it and loved, but the marketing sucks. They marketed it like everyone knows who John Carter is.

Excerpt from the LA Times about the marketing problems: "Even through Stanton was in the middle of production on "Wall-E," he lobbied Walt Disney Studios Chairman Dick Cook to snap up the rights. Cook called Stanton two months later to say "John Carter" was his to direct. Stanton outlined the first three books, wrote a first draft of the script in 2007 and spent years working on the project in pre-production.

By the time "John Carter" started filming in January 2010, however, Cook had been replaced by Rich Ross, a television executive who had never overseen a film of this scope. Ross named as president of production Sean Bailey, a movie producer who lacked experience as a studio executive, then installed MT Carney, an outsider from the New York advertising world who'd never worked at a studio, as marketing chief. Then Carney left in early January and was replaced by veteran Ricky Strauss — just as the film's promotional efforts were to kick into high gear."

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

All they had to do is take the first story, A Princess Of Mars, and started the franchise off with making that story the first movie. And, if they were to keep it true to the first story, they probably would've had a blockbuster. The movie was alright, but the martian aliens weren't exactly like the various cultures and creatures Edgar Rice Burroughs described in the stories. Absolute stupidity.

I wanted to get out and see this in the theaters as I'm a big fan of the books, shame it was such a flop and I'm guessing we won't get anymore. Once again they blew it on the marketing of this film, sometimes I wonder what the suits are thinking, the title change for one(as mentioned), and I can't figure out why they didn't try to say - from the creator of Tarzan - such a simple tagline that could of helped. Also the lead actor was seriously mis-cast, nothing against the actor but it just wasn't who I saw in my head as some grizzled civil war veteran.

I heard the princess was the best part of this movie, which makes the title change even more puzzling, oh well guess I'll catch it on video when it comes out.:angel:

Archived