Robocop (2013)

AlbertV

ROBOCOP is getting a darker reboot and here is the confirmed casting of the man who will play the cybernetic police officer, courtesy of Dark Horizons:

MGM has closed a deal with "The Killing" star Joel Kinnaman to play the title role in Jose Padilha's remake of "Robocop" for Strike Entertainment says Deadline.

Josh Zetumer wrote the script for the reboot which is said to drop the darkly comic satire of the original in favour of a grittier and more realistic tone. Eric Newman and Marc Abraham are producing.

Kinnaman, who worked with Padilha on the recent action thriller "Safe House", would take over the role made famous by Peter Weller in the Paul Verhoeven-directed 1987 original.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why remake this? I'm sure it will be bigger and louder than the1987movie...but will it be as cynical, as witty? No Paul Verhoven:tinysmile_angry2_t:

The director, Padilha is responsable for the amazing films Elite Squad 1 & 2. He's also very good with documentaries (notably "Bus 174").

Reel Power Stunts

I was given "Elite Squad 2" on Bluray as a gift. Watched it last night. I thought it was a brilliant film. Very cynical, very dark.

a "darker" reboot? The original was rated X for violence FFS. It had a cop and family man being brutally tortured and murdered by sadistic psychos with shotguns in the first 15 minutes. That's pretty dark already. Oh, and they're taking out the satire....one of the best things about the original. Sigh.

Of course I'll probably still watch a remake.

Could there be a better bad guy than Red Foreman?!? No way, another unneeded reoboot.

The first Robobcop was dark and gritty enough, take out the satire and its just unappealing to me. There wasn't that much satire; it wasn't a comedy movie.

I saw the original Robocop few days ago, don't even remember it being so great. Can't say anything about the remake though since most remakes don't get anything right. I'll just wait till it's out

Guest Yi-Long

I know I'm in a minority here, but I've never been a big fan of the movie Robocop.

I could see the potential, and the strength is basically in the premise, but I felt the movie was quite poor when it comes to acting (casting), cinematography, action-sequences, dialogue, etc etc.

I can't wait to see what the Tropa de Elite guy will do with it. Finally a capable director taking on this license.

IMO the original is untouchable, but the sequels and, tv-series and umm.. animated kids show are atrocities. Remaking the origin story is uninteresting, but I suppose a Robocop 4 would be a lot less commercially viable.

I could see the potential, and the strength is basically in the premise, but I felt the movie was quite poor when it comes to acting (casting), cinematography, action-sequences, dialogue, etc etc.

It's a question of personal taste I suppose, but except maybe cinematography, I thought every one of those elements in Robocop was exceptional for an 80s hollywood action film. Lot's of sneaky humour and other elements to the story to. It's a brilliant film but not everyone is going to like it.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

For me, the original still stands the test of time and is a classic. When this came out I had just moved from my parent into my first place, and 5 minutes away was a movie theater that was showing this and THE HIDDEN for only $2.00 a pop! I must have seen them each 5 or 6 times in the theater. Then a dozen more times on home video.

I'll go see the new one, but nothing will ever replace the original for me. And getting rid of the satire? :ooh: Huh? Why?

I think what they mean by "darker" is something like the Batman "Dark Knight" saga. But rest assure that it will never be as gory as the original that I'm pretty sure or if it is, it's gonna be all CGI...

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
But rest assure that it will never be as gory as the original that I'm pretty sure or if it is, it's gonna be all CGI...

That's for damn sure. Nobody could ever match makeup FX maestro Rob (THE HOWLING, John Carpenter's THE THING, TOTAL RECALL) Bottin's incredibly visceral on-set mayhem/gore with CGI.

This is going to be interesting. They picked the most interesting director out there (known for his gritty, violent, realistic and highly political action movies). The real question is how much this is gonna the studio's film rather than the director's film?

The original is great, but occasionally the satire is so on-your-face that it becomes a bit too silly.

I think what they mean by "darker" is something like the Batman "Dark Knight" saga.

In other words "crap". Dark Knight and its sequel are everything that sucks about modern action movies taken to the extreme. A RoboCop reboot in that mold will suck heartily IMO.

Guest Yi-Long

I'm kinda curious if they will also re-design the suit.

Will it still look like the old design, or will we get some kind of iRobocop which uses 'shoot bad guy in balls' apps....!?

Maybe with a direct link to Facebook, so his fans can 'like' every perp he kills.

OpiumKungFuCracker
For me, the original still stands the test of time and is a classic. When this came out I had just moved from my parent into my first place, and 5 minutes away was a movie theater that was showing this and THE HIDDEN for only $2.00 a pop! I must have seen them each 5 or 6 times in the theater. Then a dozen more times on home video.

I'll go see the new one, but nothing will ever replace the original for me. And getting rid of the satire? :ooh: Huh? Why?

If I can go back in time to watch an opening for a movie, Robocop would be one of them... I think I was too young to go see it in theaters but once it hit VHS, It blew me away!!!

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
I'm kinda curious if they will also re-design the suit.

Will it still look like the old design, or will we get some kind of iRobocop which uses 'shoot bad guy in balls' apps....!?

Maybe with a direct link to Facebook, so his fans can 'like' every perp he kills.

They will definitely redesign the suit.

Your last line cracks me up. If they were sticking with the satirical edge of the first one, that would fit right in.

If I can go back in time to watch an opening for a movie, Robocop would be one of them... I think I was too young to go see it in theaters but once it hit VHS, It blew me away!!!

I know what you mean. A couple of movies I wish I could have seen in the theater when they were released:

2001: A SPACE ODYESSEY

MAD MAX

ROAD WARRIOR

KING KONG (1933)

Update:

Dark Horizons has revealed that Gary Oldman has joined the cast in the role originated by Miguel Ferrer. In other words, Oldman will be the man who creates the new Robocop, who will be played by THE KILLING's Joel Kinnaman.

Secret Executioner
The new Robosuit:

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=94813

Bwahahahahahahaha

Looks like Batman's costume in the Nolan movies except the cowl is replaced with a biker's helmet. :squigglemouth:

Anyway, I enjoyed the original one (the first, didn't bother with the sequels) but like Total Recall, I probably won't bother go and see this remake.

Archived