Tokyo Shock's release of Destroy All Monsters

make believe

Secret Executioner

Which DVD version are you guys discussing ? I only know of 2 versions, both of which are very simple, no bonus features, only the english dub and no chapters or menu, the movie basically plays on a loop. The only difference is that one of them has a bonus CD with the movie soundtrack (which is great BTW, but what else could you expect from Akira Ifukube ? :nerd:)

And for Godzilla vs Megalon... Yeah, I'd love to have this one. Saw it, it's just hilarious. :bigsmile:

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
I got mine in last week and have watched it half a dozen times now with my little ones. My son loves it. My daughter's not so into it. It looks and sounds great! When is Daimajin going to get a legit remastered release? We're waiting.

Coming out soon... on Blu-Ray! :nerd:

Bring it on!!!!!!

megal2.jpg

One of my favorite movie posters as a kid. :bigsmile: I think it may have been on the back cover of an issue of Famous Monsters of Filmland magazine... somewhere I had a full page, color version of this that I used to lay on the floor and stare at. As this was long before the days of instant gratification via home video, I was at the mercy of the TV stations and their occasional Saturday afternoon broadcasts to see it. So I'd stare at the poster and imagine the film, making sound effects and such, and drawing pictures of the monsters battling.

Godzilla vs Megalon is out now? Or it's about to be out? because I couldn't find a release.

It was supposed to come out a week or two ago. I pre-ordered it from Best Buy but they said it was "out-of-stock" and may take up to 90 days to ship! :neutral: However, a few days ago I got a notice that it shipped. I've heard it's the "bare bones version", but I couldn't wait. If it comes out with good special features... :angel: well, perhaps I'd double dip for the Big G. :nerd:

Which DVD version are you guys discussing ? I only know of 2 versions, both of which are very simple, no bonus features, only the english dub and no chapters or menu, the movie basically plays on a loop. The only difference is that one of them has a bonus CD with the movie soundtrack (which is great BTW, but what else could you expect from Akira Ifukube ? :nerd:)

The out of print Tokyo Shock version. The versions that you mentioned are actually pretty poor looking and have many problems (though I loved the inclusion of the CD). Please read through this thread for all the details.

Secret Executioner

That WTC poster for Godzilla vs Megalon is indeed a great one. Guess you must have been disappointed when you saw that the poste had little to nothing to do with the actual movie...

Looked up that Tokyo Shock release of DAM and it's indeed clearly an improvement over the older version (ADV Films) I mentionned. Hadn't heard of it and it kinda bugs me it's out of print some 6 months after its release. :ooh:

• Administrator

First, let me say "Welcome to the forum!". I hope that you find it as fun, helpful, and full of friendly people as I have. :bigsmile:

That WTC poster for Godzilla vs Megalon is indeed a great one. Guess you must have been disappointed when you saw that the poste had little to nothing to do with the actual movie...

Fortunately with GODZILLA VS MEGALON I saw the film before I ever saw the misleading (but exceptionally cool) poster. But I do remember being very disappointed by a similar poster fib. For the 1976 remake of KING KONG the poster depicted him straddling the Twin Towers. As an 8 year old that had seen the 1933 version of KING KONG at least ten times by then (it's still one of my all time favorite films), I was already excited to see this new film. But the fact that Kong would be something like ten times bigger had me drooling. Needless to say, I was not happy that he was nowhere near the size shown on the poster. But even worse than that... no dinosaurs! :neutral:

Looked up that Tokyo Shock release of DAM and it's indeed clearly an improvement over the older version (ADV Films) I mentionned. Hadn't heard of it and it kinda bugs me it's out of print some 6 months after its release. :ooh:

Sadly, they released it without Toho's permission to include all of those extras. That's why it's OOP. They were forced to stop manufacturing and selling that version. But I picked it up on eBay earlier this year for about the same price it would've been in the store. Nothing outrageous. Keep your eye out for it. Good luck.

Secret Executioner
First, let me say "Welcome to the forum!". I hope that you find it as fun, helpful, and full of friendly people as I have. :bigsmile:

Thanks for the welcome. From what I've read in threads and the contacts I've had with members, it is a fun, helpful forum with great people. :xd:

Fortunately with GODZILLA VS MEGALON I saw the film before I ever saw the misleading (but exceptionally cool) poster. But I do remember being very disappointed by a similar poster fib. For the 1976 remake of KING KONG the poster depicted him straddling the Twin Towers. As an 8 year old that had seen the 1933 version of KING KONG at least ten times by then (it's still one of my all time favorite films), I was already excited to see this new film. But the fact that Kong would be something like ten times bigger had me drooling. Needless to say, I was not happy that he was nowhere near the size shown on the poster. But even worse than that... no dinosaurs! :neutral:

Still waiting for Kong to fight the dinosaur in this one (like he did in the 1933 one)... I saw this movie when I was a kid and cried in the end. :sad:

Anyway, the best KK movie (IMO that is) is KK vs Godzilla :tongue:

Sadly, they released it without Toho's permission to include all of those extras. That's why it's OOP. They were forced to stop manufacturing and selling that version. But I picked it up on eBay earlier this year for about the same price it would've been in the store. Nothing outrageous. Keep your eye out for it. Good luck.

I see... I think I saw it online (amazon) and it had great reviews, but I didn't know it was an unauthorized release. :squigglemouth:

The world would be a better place if every movie would have dinosaurs!!! Let us know if you get that disk in Bob!

Has anyone picked up Godzilla Half Century War? Man the artwork looks fantastic!

http://badassdigest.com/2012/08/30/check-out-the-awesome-cover-for-godzilla-half-century-war-2/

Should have the first issue soon. James Stokoe is an amazing artist. The regular Godzilla ongoing comic from IDW is also very good. Art isn't as cool as Stokoe's work, but solid. The main character looks a lot like Jason Statham :bigsmile:

Secret Executioner

Shameless bump just to share this cool pic I found on the Web. Not sure where I found it; but it's damn cool IMO.

picture.php?albumid=247&pictureid=7426

Okay, somebody explain to me how Gorosaurus has the ability to tunnel under the earth. He's basically just a tyrannosaur. :nerd:

• Administrator
Okay, somebody explain to me how Gorosaurus has the ability to tunnel under the earth. He's basically just a tyrannosaur. :nerd:

Right? :smile: That's what makes him so mysterious! :xd:

Honestly, I remember when I first saw this as a kid turning to my Dad and asking "Why was he underground?" :tongue: It just seems so random.

Honestly, I remember when I first saw this as a kid turning to my Dad and asking "Why was he underground?" :tongue: It just seems so random.

:bigsmile:

I think they just needed him to show up in France somehow!

At least Baragon had some backstory about being able to tunnel underground. :bigsmile:

Killer Meteor

It actually was meant to be Barugon. The suit was in poor repair so they used a different monster - you'll note it has the Barugon roar and characters refer to the monster as such.

Confused me a lot as a kid!

• Administrator
It actually was meant to be Barugon. The suit was in poor repair so they used a different monster - you'll note it has the Barugon roar and characters refer to the monster as such.

Confused me a lot as a kid!

Oh, no shit! I remember thinking that those kids were stupid because they didn't "know their monsters". Now it all makes sense.

Secret Executioner

Make it "a mere giant Allosaurus" and you kinda get it. :xd:

Ah the good ol' days before the Internet... I read about the reason why Gorosaurus came up from underground in this scene on the Web, thus ruining all the mystery. Damn you, Godzilla wikis. :cry:

:bigsmile:

I think they just needed him to show up in France somehow!

At least Baragon had some backstory about being able to tunnel underground. :bigsmile:

Yeah, nothing screams France more than a gigantic carnosaur. :xd:

And the monster was intended to be Baragon, as Killer Meteor points out:

IIRC, the Baragon suit had been used in other productions (Ultraman TV series ?) between his first appearance in the 1965 movie Frankenstein Conquers The World and Destroy All Monsters, explaining its very bad condition. And the actual Baragon gets his little cameo at the very end of the film.

Archived