Tokyo Shock's release of Destroy All Monsters

make believe

A rare exception to the lameness of CGI monsters is the Korean flick THE HOST. Have you seen this movie Tosh? Great stuff.

Yeah I watched this in Atlanta at the Plaza theater(old theater from the 50's), best giant monster movie for years, not since the original Godzilla has there been such a humanist component, the other exception(s) are the excellent Daimajin movies. I would love to see a sequel to the Host, they need to bring in another monster and have them fight it out in the middle of Seoul!:nerd:

Me too. We are lucky to have grown up with that stuff. A monster channel? Count me in on that if it happens. They could have "theme marathons". Like for instance, in the Spring they could have "Bring on the Bugs" marathon and show:

THE DEADLY MANTIS

EMPIRE OF THE ANTS

THE MONSTER THAT CONQUERED THE WORLD

THE FLY

KINGDOM OF THE SPIDERS

BLACK SCORPION

Then in the Spring:

HUMANOIDS FROM THE DEEP

PIRANHA

ATTACK OF THE GIANT LEECHES

SCREAMERS

CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON

WARLORDS OF ATLANTIS

Winter:

THE THING FROM ANOTHER WORLD (1950's version)

GREMLINS

SNOWBEAST

DREAMCATCHER

THE THING FROM ANOTHER WORLD (1982 version)

That's a great idea, we would need to host them, I would add The Incredible Shrinking Man

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oddly enough,I always(in my mind,at least)semi-associated ''INFRA-MAN'' with ''G VS MEGALON'' as both films were released Stateside in Summer 1976.Man,what a double bill THAT would be...!

I didn't see SUPER INFRA-MAN until Celestial released it in the mid 2000's! I can totally see Infra-man fighting Jet Jaguar! Wouldn't that have been sweet?

For some reason I never got into Ultraman, I don't remember it being played on tv as much as the Godzilla movies, so Jet Jaguar was the first Asian movie robot I remember, they must of played G vs Megalon 1000 times back in the day:tongue: I say the world could use a Jet Jaguar vs Infra-man flick, even better pit them agains a bunch of the Host creatures! At the end a gaint mother Host comes out and they both have to grow giant to fight it:xd: Destroying a city in the process.

As for Jet Jaguar... I've got a Jet Jaguar figure standing on my Shaw Brothers shelf right now. Why on the Shaw Brothers shelf you may wonder? Because JJ is so cool that he can go wherever he damn well pleases.

Wondering how in the hell after all these years I don't have a Godzilla figure in my collection, I looked some up online and holy cow are they expensive! Now I'm pissed I didn't manage to keep one of those toys I had as a kid:sad: Too cool you have a Jet Jaguar figure Bob, I'd like to see a pic of that:tongue:

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
For some reason I never got into Ultraman, I don't remember it being played on tv as much as the Godzilla movies

ULTRAMAN was huge for me! Loved that show. A different giant monster every episode? Oh yeah! :nerd:

Jet Jaguar was the first Asian movie robot I remember, they must of played G vs Megalon 1000 times back in the day:tongue:

At least. And I probably caught it at least half of those times. :tongue:

I say the world could use a Jet Jaguar vs Infra-man flick, even better pit them agains a bunch of the Host creatures! At the end a gaint mother Host comes out and they both have to grow giant to fight it:xd: Destroying a city in the process.

I love it. Your head is in the exact perfect place Tosh. Did I ever tell you that? :bigsmile:

Wondering how in the hell after all these years I don't have a Godzilla figure in my collection, I looked some up online and holy cow are they expensive! Now I'm pissed I didn't manage to keep one of those toys I had as a kid:sad:

Fortunately, before I left the world of bachelorhood I bought lots of stupid stuff for myself that I didn't need. :angel: So now, as a "mature adult" I have a pretty bitchin' little collection of Godzilla toys. :wink:

Too cool you have a Jet Jaguar figure Bob, I'd like to see a pic of that:tongue:

Here he is...

IinframanguardstheShawBrothersDVDcollection.jpg

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

Check these guys out...

Plush Godzilla (this just appeared in my house one day. Honestly, I don't know who bought it or where it came from! :smile:)

GODZILLAPLUSH.jpg

Gamera The Invincible...

AMYSWEDDINGMay302010007.jpg

Here's the (terrible likeness sculpt) Shogun's Warrior Godzilla that I had. He's long gone now...

KGrHqQOKp0E4lSIsSizBOJ32iVLDw0_31.jpg

This is an awesome Super Inframan figure that I WISH I had. Cool though, huh?

BobbG3gBWkKGrHqIH-EIEuYPO7U19BLnWgpgFHw_121.jpg

BobbFdQ2kKGrHqMH-DkEuYuS6ujPBLnWglmFHw_121.jpg

I do have this one... :tongue: It's one of those little Kubrick style figures. I have Inframan and my buddy has the Minion figure...

BobbLjgWkKGrHqMH-CEEt7C-VTY-BLnWg4TSSg_121.jpg

Bob, I also had Godzilla as well as Shogun Warrior, Dragun (Ghetta Robo). Lots of fun firing off those plastic hatchets as a 10 year old. Miss those old toys: big plastic Batmobile, Planet of the Apes garbage can, G.I. Joe stuff (Kung Fu Grip, Capture Gorilla...) Cool toys in the 70s... damn, now I'm getting all teary eyed. :nerd:

I just missed seeing Megalon in the theater in 1976 (it played for one whole week), but was lucky enough to catch the one hour version on T.V. hosted by John Belushi in a Zilla costume. Still remember it to this day, even some of the quotes, "This is better than when I fought Mothra or Rodan..." He then gets knocked on his ass by a paper mache boulder. Wish I had a vcr back then...

danthemandmv
Cool, the "Megalon Crew" is now in full effect. :bigsmile: LOL

That must have been great to see at the drive-in on that big a screen. :nerd: How old were you when you saw it?

I was about a month shy of my 11th birthday.I'd been bitten by the Godzilla bug earlier that year,having seen ''GODZILLA,KING OF THE MONSTERS''&''GODZILLA VS THE SMOG MONSTER'' on TV so getting to see The Big G up on that big ol' drive-in screen was WAY cool!

Almost serendipitously,late '76 would bring Dino DeLaurentiis' controversial ''KING KONG'' flick.I'd been a fan of Kong even before I'd known of Godzilla,&having seen the classic 1933 original I simply considered the two films to be completely different narratives featuring giant apes named Kong.As stated earlier in this thread John Barry's score for the DeLaurentiis version was superb,as was Rick Baker's Kong costume&(at the time uncredited)portrayal of the titular beast.Also,as puberty was kickin' into high gear it sure didn't hurt to see Jessica Lange in rather revealing clothes:yociexp56: ...)

I didn't see SUPER INFRA-MAN until Celestial released it in the mid 2000's! I can totally see Infra-man fighting Jet Jaguar! :nerd: Wouldn't that have been sweet?

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Bob, I also had Godzilla as well as Shogun Warrior, Dragun (Ghetta Robo). Lots of fun firing off those plastic hatchets as a 10 year old. Miss those old toys: big plastic Batmobile, Planet of the Apes garbage can, G.I. Joe stuff (Kung Fu Grip, Capture Gorilla...) Cool toys in the 70s... damn, now I'm getting all teary eyed. :nerd:

Dragun! He was cool. My Uncle bought the Shogun Warrior robots for my two cousins and I one day. The one I had was called something like Magento. He had a little rocket ship that would come out of his head, shot yellow bird/airplane shaped missles from his chest, and his fist (which launched from his arm) had axe blades on either side. Very cool toy.

LOL I had the Planet of the Apes trash can too- I stored my Matchbox cars in there. :wink:

Remember the G.I. Joe submersible one-man submarine that came with a giant squid? :nerd: That thing was "state-of-the-art" at the time. I got it for Christmas and remember going crazy waiting for summer to try it in the pool. I tried to use it in the bath tub, but it wasn't deep enough. :tongue:

I just missed seeing Megalon in the theater in 1976 (it played for one whole week), but was lucky enough to catch the one hour version on T.V. hosted by John Belushi in a Zilla costume. Still remember it to this day, even some of the quotes, "This is better than when I fought Mothra or Rodan..." He then gets knocked on his ass by a paper mache boulder. Wish I had a vcr back then...

Dude, I never saw or even heard about that. And I'm a huge Belushi fan! :smile: Wonder if that's on Youtube somewhere?

I was about a month shy of my 11th birthday.I'd been bitten by the Godzilla bug earlier that year,having seen ''GODZILLA,KING OF THE MONSTERS''&''GODZILLA VS THE SMOG MONSTER'' on TV so getting to see The Big G up on that big ol' drive-in screen was WAY cool!

Nice! I still remember the first time I saw GODZILLA VS THE SMOG MONSTER. The crazy hippy party music really had me spellbound. :tongue: LOL Then when the movie ended I set up all of my action figures on the couch as though they were "innocent bystanders", wrapped myself in a big, bunched up blanket to be the Smog Monster, and proceeded to terrorize Tokyo (played by my living room). After a few minutes of that, I switched to playing Godzilla and proceeded to trounce that Smog Monster (blanket). :xd: Hmmm, when I think about it... I haven't changed much since I was a kid. :tongue:

Almost serendipitously,late '76 would bring Dino DeLaurentiis' controversial ''KING KONG'' flick.I'd been a fan of Kong even before I'd known of Godzilla,&having seen the classic 1933 original I simply considered the two films to be completely different narratives featuring giant apes named Kong.As stated earlier in this thread John Barry's score for the DeLaurentiis version was superb,as was Rick Baker's Kong costume&(at the time uncredited)portrayal of the titular beast.Also,as puberty was kickin' into high gear it sure didn't hurt to see Jessica Lange in rather revealing clothes:yociexp56: ...)

I was 9 when I saw the DeLaurentis' KING KONG. Despite my youth I remember also feeling like "Hey hey... what's this nice feeling?" when seeing Miss Lange's clothes wet and her being stripped by the mighty ape. (Caroline Munroe in GOLDEN VOYAGE OF SINBAD trumped her though. :wink:) After the film my parents asked me what I thought, and I told them that I really liked it, but: A.) I was very disappointed that there weren't any dinosaurs, B.) Though I thought it was still exciting, I preferred the airplanes to the helicopters attacking Kong, and C.) I pointed out that "the poster lied" when they showed Kong stradling both of the Twin Towers, as he wasn't really that big in the film. I recall my parents being amused by my critique/scrutiny of the film, but the original KING KONG has always been one of my favorite films. So I guess I was going in thinking it would be bigger, better, color... LOL I wonder if my pointing out of the poster's exaggeration was my first conscious questioning of truth in advertising? :smile: That little thing wasn't a deal breaker though- it didn't stop me from hanging up the poster in my room! The theater gave out free, full-size theatrical posters- a HUGE deal back then. I guess it would still be actually.

From around the age of seven I started to be interested in makeup (sparked by the work ofUniversal monster man Jack Pierce) and other special effects from films. So I was very excited that "the man who made OCTOMAN and the STAR WARS cantina monsters" made Kong for the film. Years later when I found out he played Kong, I rewatched the film even more enthusiastically.

That indeed would've ROCKED!An idea I'd always had for a mash-up/crossover would be ReiMa needing to team w/Jet Jaguar&Godzilla after Princess Dragon Mom had added Gigan&Megalon to her monster army(&to think we'd have to wait 'til 1995 for Godzilla to visit Hong Kong in ''G VS DESTROYER''...)

Where do I line up to see that? :nerd:

Dude, I never saw or even heard about that. And I'm a huge Belushi fan! :smile: Wonder if that's on Youtube somewhere?:

As far as I know, It NEVER showed up ANYWHERE after it's initial airing in 1977(?). Can't even find a crappy copy of it on the grey market. I saw it some 35 years ago on a tiny black and white T.V. yet I remember it vividly.

I did find a mention of it on the Japanese Giants forum which I'll share here if you're curious (August Ragone weighed in on it):

http://monsterkidclassichorrorforum.yuku.com/topic/24233/t/Godzilla-and-JOHN-BELUSHI.html

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
As far as I know, It NEVER showed up ANYWHERE after it's initial airing in 1977(?). Can't even find a crappy copy of it on the grey market. I saw it some 35 years ago on a tiny black and white T.V. yet I remember it vividly.

I did find a mention of it on the Japanese Giants forum which I'll share here if you're curious (August Ragone weighed in on it):

http://monsterkidclassichorrorforum.yuku.com/topic/24233/t/Godzilla-and-JOHN-BELUSHI.html

Well, thanks fot the info. I enjoyed the link too. :nerd:

When did VCR's come out on the market? I thought it was around 1980-82?

Here's the (terrible likeness sculpt) Shogun's Warrior Godzilla that I had. He's long gone now...

KGrHqQOKp0E4lSIsSizBOJ32iVLDw0_31.jpg

Oh man! I had this one too! Wow I remember it being a lot cooler looking, I remember the hand shot off and I'd always lose it:xd: I forgot all about those Shogun Warrior toys.

This is an awesome Super Inframan figure that I WISH I had. Cool though, huh?

BobbG3gBWkKGrHqIH-EIEuYPO7U19BLnWgpgFHw_121.jpg

BobbFdQ2kKGrHqMH-DkEuYuS6ujPBLnWglmFHw_121.jpg

Now that would look good next to your Jet Jaguar figure, could you imagine if Toho and Shaw came together to make a movie - nerd bliss:nerd::tongue:

I'm waiting by my door to get my Destroy all Monsters dvd, did you ever see that Simpson's episode where Bart is on the postlady's ass - Where's my spy camera, lady I want my spy camera, where's my spy camera??? I think the ups guy is about to punch me in the face:xd:

I pulled out G vs Gigan, G vs MechaG and the first Gamera for a watch this weekend in anticipation, I even bought a good bottle of sake for my viewing of Destroy.

Man, wtf! I just got a message from amazon saying they're shipping out Yog at no extra charge because they're waiting for my Destroy all Monsters and will ship it when available, when I purchased Destroy it said they had it in stock:neutral: I'm going to be pissed if they don't get more in:sad:

Ok Amazon is officially on my shitlist, now they're saying "they're still trying to obtain" Destroy all Monsters - assholes it was suppose to be in stock:neutral:

Now it seems to be out of stock everywhere, deep discount's site says it has it in stock but it's a different cover? It says from Tokyo Shock, whats the deal? Is this the one I want? Is Toho really yanking the chain on this movie?

631595112283zoom1.jpg

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

I just recieved my copy yesterday from amazon. I must a got the last or second to last available copy. Yikes! That was close. My son can't wait to see it. He's four and a half.

I just recieved my copy yesterday from amazon. I must a got the last or second to last available copy. Yikes! That was close. My son can't wait to see it. He's four and a half.

Well that's why I'm a bit peeved I was hoping to show my nephews in town this weekend Destroy, for me I waited 25 years since I last seen it I can wait a little longer:tongue:

Though receiving my copy of Yog in the mail the other day the dvd was loose in the case and got scratched to hell and back, but I'll save that bitch for another thread:angel:

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

I got mine in last week and have watched it half a dozen times now with my little ones. My son loves it. My daughter's not so into it. It looks and sounds great! When is Daimajin going to get a legit remastered release? We're waiting.

When is Daimajin going to get a legit remastered release? We're waiting.

No doubt!

Finally got mine in, I thought this has to be the one that has the race of slugs? Right:xd: It does look great, for some reason I remember a little bit more monster action, still pretty great, I watched this a hundred times back in the day. Man I really need to get all these old ones, I'm kind of embarrassed as a Godzilla fan I don't have them all!:angel:

Space Amoeba was pure awesomeness, just campy, ridiculous, over the top fun, especially loved the scuba part, and the Japanese actress they had playing the island girl in her sarongs was absolutely gorgeous! But who am I kidding the giant squid was the best, to bad it just disappeared half way through the movie.

Millcreek picked up Daimajin http://www.millcreekent.com/majin-triple-feature-collector-s-edition-blu-ray.html

Megalon is out now, its barebones, supposedly Toho is reviewing bonus features so a special edition may be coming down the road. DAM is OOP due to the unapproved special features and sellers are asking crazy prices.

Godzilla vs Megalon is out now? Or it's about to be out? because I couldn't find a release.

Archived