Tokyo Shock's release of Destroy All Monsters

make believe

I figured I'd start a new thread in case people haven't been reading the one in the Shaw section that mentions the Tokyo Shock release of Destroy All Monsters..

I was this close to picking this up when I decided to read some reviews on Amazon and on a couple of other random sites. There is a couple of things that has made me hold off for the time being.

The AIP dub from what I read is of very poor quality with volume changes throughout and other imperfections making it almost short of worthless. This is one of the main reasons I'd be picking this up so if this is true, it would really make me reconsider.

The other major problem, mostly mentioned on Amazon, is a batch of defective discs that tend to freeze around the :34 mark which is at the layer change. I know you really can't always take Amazon reviews seriously which is also why I'm asking. There is more than one person who mentions this so it might be reason for concern.

If anyone has this disc and cares to comment, it'd be appreciated. Thanks.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was about to start a DAM thread myself, thanks.

I just ordered a copy, can't comment on the actual relase yet. I have a really nice subtitled boot of the R2 and a decent AIP boot, I was thinking of making a composite but hopefully that's not necessary now.

I'm reading that Toho is mad about extras that were added as well as not approving of the AIP dub being added to the release.

I'm wondering about the rumor that its being pulled from stores. As far as I can tell one of the guys who worked on the commentary said this in a podcast, can anyone confrim that this is or has happened? Looks like its still available online, maybe a stunt (my own speculation at this point) to sell more copies?

wongfeihung62

I watched the region free BD of this last night, no problems on that. I had it on audio commentary, but I will check out the dubbed track to see if there are any problems.

Inframan, I heard the same things too which is why I figure I better act quick and pick one up just in case. Tokyo Shock is a bit if an unstable company as it is so you never know with their releases. I too have a subbed R2 disc. The AIP version I only have on VHS. I assume you must have the ADV version with the AIP track that someone made at one point. I hear that custom job sounds just fine which makes it all the more frustrating that Tokyo Shock couldn't get their hands on that track for this. When will these companies ever get it right?

Thanks wongfeihung62.

I just placed my order for Destroy all Monsters and Space Amoeba(or Yog: Monster From Space), man it's been yeeeears since I watched Destroy, maybe over 25 years! Thinking back I'm getting these movies all mixed up.

Never seen Yog but it looks like my kind of crazyness, how's King Kong Escapes? A Kong mech looks to good to pass up:xd: I've also read great things about Dogora, I might of seen both of these back in the day as a kid if they were played on tv back in the late 70's - 80's.

make believe, actually my AIP DAM is a composite made with the AIP dub and the Laserdisc, I tracked down the guy who made the composites for Space Giants and Ultraman years and years ago. He had done nearly every Kaiju movie that had an english audio track. He had done them long ago on VHS but he had a dvd recorder so I was able to get dvd-r copies of his vhs.

Tosh, King Kong escapes is great! The dubbing was done by Rankin Bass so it sounds like those old christmas specials. I think you can get it in a two pack with KK v Godzilla

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
I figured I'd start a new thread in case people haven't been reading the one in the Shaw section that mentions the Tokyo Shock release of Destroy All Monsters...

Here's that thread that Make believe mentioned:

http://www.kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17409

There's a lot of good info and links to info regarding Tokyo Shock's releases of DESTROY ALL MONSTERS and possibly, someday, GODZILLA VS. MEGALON.

I was this close to picking this up when I decided to read some reviews on Amazon and on a couple of other random sites. There is a couple of things that has made me hold off for the time being.

The AIP dub from what I read is of very poor quality with volume changes throughout and other imperfections making it almost short of worthless. This is one of the main reasons I'd be picking this up so if this is true, it would really make me reconsider.

The other major problem, mostly mentioned on Amazon, is a batch of defective discs that tend to freeze around the :34 mark which is at the layer change. I know you really can't always take Amazon reviews seriously which is also why I'm asking. There is more than one person who mentions this so it might be reason for concern.

If anyone has this disc and cares to comment, it'd be appreciated. Thanks.

I just got this in the mail today. I'll take a peek and let you guys know if I see or hear any problems on the DVD.

I just placed my order for Destroy all Monsters and Space Amoeba(or Yog: Monster From Space), man it's been yeeeears since I watched Destroy, maybe over 25 years!

25 YEARS?! :smile: Man, you're in for a treat dude. :nerd:

Never seen Yog but it looks like my kind of crazyness, how's King Kong Escapes? A Kong mech looks to good to pass up:xd: I've also read great things about Dogora, I might of seen both of these back in the day as a kid if they were played on tv back in the late 70's - 80's.

I barely remember YOG or DOGORA. But KING KONG ESCAPES is so much freakin' fun! Yes, a robot kong is as B-Movie awesome as you might have hoped. Plus, unlike the sad, moldy looking Kong suit used for KING KONG VS GODZILLA, the Kong in KING KONG ESCAPES looks way better and sports lots of sharp, scary looking teeth. :bigsmile: I've added this one to your pile man. :bigsmile:

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

Here's my report on the Tokyo Shock DVD of DESTROY ALL MONSTERS.

I watched the first 36 minutes of it.

LAYER BREAKThe layer break is one of the roughest I've seen. As Kiyoko is walking up the steps from the subway the picture freezes for a good 3-5 seconds, and my player made the same sound that it makes when I skip a chapter. But then it played fine.

ENGLISH DUBBED AUDIO TRACKS

This was kind of weird in that the menu lists: English Audio 1 and 2, but it doesn't say what the difference is between them! So I gave a listen, and #1 is very clear and sounds kind of new. #2 is definitely the original AIP audio track. As reported earlier, the AIP track does drastically change in volume a few times in the first five minutes. I also noticed some severe hissing on the track in a few instances. But after that, it wasn't too bad. Just a few minor sound glitches, and not much in the way of volume changes (up until the 36 minute mark).

Hope this helps. :nerd:

I barely remember YOG or DOGORA. But KING KONG ESCAPES is so much freakin' fun! Yes, a robot kong is as B-Movie awesome as you might have hoped. Plus, unlike the sad, moldy looking Kong suit used for KING KONG VS GODZILLA, the Kong in KING KONG ESCAPES looks way better and sports lots of sharp, scary looking teeth. :bigsmile: I've added this one to your pile man. :bigsmile:

Awesomo, I'll be looking forward to watching it! I love Kong vs Godzilla, my friend I worked with had the vhs, we'd go back to my apartment for lunch, poor kid, I made him watch it about 5-6 times:tongue:, I think it's hilarious they got Kong stoned, the faces he makes are classic lol

wongfeihung62

I have just finished watching Return of Godzilla ,aka Godzilla 1984 and Godzilla vs Biollante. They were French DVD's with Japanese 2.0 audio and non - removable French subs.

make believe
how's King Kong Escapes? A Kong mech looks to good to pass up:xd.

How could this movie be anything but great?

king-kong-escapes.jpg

make believe
make believe, actually my AIP DAM is a composite made with the AIP dub and the Laserdisc, I tracked down the guy who made the composites for Space Giants and Ultraman years and years ago. He had done nearly every Kaiju movie that had an english audio track. He had done them long ago on VHS but he had a dvd recorder so I was able to get dvd-r copies of his vhs.

I have a bootleg on VHS that's the widescreen LD with the AIP dub. I got it way back so I wonder if it's the same source.

KUNG FU BOB, good looking out. Thanks for checking. So clearly there are issues. I've read some players had trouble going past that layer break on multiple copies. I'll definitely have to consider this one I guess. I bet the picture quality must be great though..

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
I have a bootleg on VHS that's the widescreen LD with the AIP dub. I got it way back so I wonder if it's the same source.

KUNG FU BOB, good looking out. Thanks for checking. So clearly there are issues. I've read some players had trouble going past that layer break on multiple copies. I'll definitely have to consider this one I guess. I bet the picture quality must be great though..

Sure man. Yes, I imagine the layer break on DESTROY ALL MONSTERS might give some machines a problem. Later I'll try it in my PS3 and report back on if it works in that.

The picture quality is really clear with great details visible. The color looks a little faded, but I just adjusted that myself. If my DVD looks this good, I imagine the BD must be spectacular.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

Regarding the "sticky" layer break: I tried the DVD on my PS3 and it barely paused for a half second- playing much smoother here than on my DVD player.

BTW- the extras- stills and such- were really nice! Shame it caused the company SO much trouble.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
KING KONG ESCAPES is so much freakin' fun! Yes, a robot kong is as B-Movie awesome as you might have hoped. Plus, unlike the sad, moldy looking Kong suit used for KING KONG VS GODZILLA, the Kong in KING KONG ESCAPES looks way better and sports lots of sharp, scary looking teeth. :bigsmile: I've added this one to your pile man. :bigsmile:

Yo Tosh. So since I had this movie out for you, I decided to watch it again. :crossedlips: I may need to retract some of my earlier statements. :xd: For instance, I should not have used these phrases in reference to this film: "way better" and "awesome". :angel:

It's fun in a really, really bad movie sort of way. Kong's suit may have THE most obvious zipper of all of the Japanese monsters (that's saying something huh?), and his head doesn't attach very well to the body either. You get to see the neck of the guy inside quite a few times, as well as his face through Kong's nostrils and mouth. :tongue: They show tons of closeups of Kong's face, and to show when he's emoting, his eyelids flicker on his otherwise immovable, poorly sculpted face. :smile: I guess one of the reasons I loved this so much as a kid is because there's a lot of screen time for the creatures. :nerd: The bad guy is called Dr. Who, and he has some scary bottom teeth. The American hero is Rhodes Reason, who you might recognize as Flavius from the old STAR TREK episode "Bread and Circuses". Kong's love interest is played by Linda Miller who you may remember from THE GREEN SLIME! This features one of the worst escape attempt plans ever... the heroes get out of their cell, then go to another room to have drinks and listen to groovy music. :smile:

One more thing. This movie is rated G (for all General Audiences). Two people- an old man and a young woman, both defenseless, are each shot 3 times in cold blood! Plus, a guy is squashed between several large pieces of equipment and spews blood! Perfect for children. LOL Well, I watched these movies, and I turned out fine, right? :angel:

Awesomo, I'll be looking forward to watching it! I love Kong vs Godzilla, my friend I worked with had the vhs, we'd go back to my apartment for lunch, poor kid, I made him watch it about 5-6 times:tongue:, I think it's hilarious they got Kong stoned, the faces he makes are classic lol

You'll be happy to know that Kong gets stoned in ESCAPE as well! :xd: Also, since you love it, I added KING KONG VS GODZILLA too bro. After you watched it for years on VHS, you're gonna shit when you see how good it looks widescreen. :nerd:

Yo Tosh. So since I had this movie out for you, I decided to watch it again. :crossedlips: I may need to retract some of my earlier statements. :xd: For instance, I should not have used these phrases in reference to this film: "way better" and "awesome". :angel:

It's fun in a really, really bad movie sort of way. Kong's suit may have THE most obvious zipper of all of the Japanese monsters (that's saying something huh?), and his head doesn't attach very well to the body either. You get to see the neck of the guy inside quite a few times, as well as his face through Kong's nostrils and mouth. :tongue: They show tons of closeups of Kong's face, and to show when he's emoting, his eyelids flicker on his otherwise immovable, poorly sculpted face. :smile: I guess one of the reasons I loved this so much as a kid is because there's a lot of screen time for the creatures. :nerd: The bad guy is called Dr. Who, and he has some scary bottom teeth. The American hero is Rhodes Reason, who you might recognize as Flavius from the old STAR TREK episode "Bread and Circuses". Kong's love interest is played by Linda Miller who you may remember from THE GREEN SLIME! This features one of the worst escape attempt plans ever... the heroes get out of their cell, then go to another room to have drinks and listen to groovy music. :smile:

One more thing. This movie is rated G (for all General Audiences). Two people- an old man and a young woman, both defenseless, are each shot 3 times in cold blood! Plus, a guy is squashed between several large pieces of equipment and spews blood! Perfect for children. LOL Well, I watched these movies, and I turned out fine, right? :angel:

You'll be happy to know that Kong gets stoned in ESCAPE as well! :xd: Also, since you love it, I added KING KONG VS GODZILLA too bro. After you watched it for years on VHS, you're gonna shit when you see how good it looks widescreen. :nerd:

Still sounds like my kind of movie:bigsmile:, I'd rather catch a zipper than watch an entire movie with cg monsters. I feel sorry for these kids not knowing the joy of watching these older low budget bad ass movies from the 40's on, now everyone thinks you need 300 million dollars to make a movie.

I feel lucky growing up as a kid in the 70's and 80's watching all those old horror and sci-fi flicks on weekend afternoons and late nights. You would think they could have a classic monster movie channel, after all I get the freaking "golf" channel:neutral: really? It's a shame modern entertainment has chose to shun these classics - the good and the bad, as the bad ones are just as fun. They use to play the original King Kong on tv all the time, now tv is full of doomsday prophecies and rednecks shooting everything:neutral:

I watched Godzilla vs Gigan the other night, man love it! I read in the other thread you said people think Godzilla vs Megalon is one of the weaker G movies? Man I love that one too, I always wished they would get Jet Jaguar back in the movies.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Still sounds like my kind of movie:bigsmile:, I'd rather catch a zipper than watch an entire movie with cg monsters. I feel sorry for these kids not knowing the joy of watching these older low budget bad ass movies from the 40's on, now everyone thinks you need 300 million dollars to make a movie.

Cool, I just wanted to forewarn you, but knowing you, I do still think you'll love it. I did! :tongue: LOL

Couldn't agree more. These older flicks like THEM, THE BEAST FROM 20,000 FATHOMS, GOLDEN VOYAGE OF SINBAD, THE LAND THAT TIME FORGOT... So much fun! A rare exception to the lameness of CGI monsters is the Korean flick THE HOST. Have you seen this movie Tosh? Great stuff.

I feel lucky growing up as a kid in the 70's and 80's watching all those old horror and sci-fi flicks on weekend afternoons and late nights. You would think they could have a classic monster movie channel, after all I get the freaking "golf" channel:neutral: really?

Me too. We are lucky to have grown up with that stuff. A monster channel? Count me in on that if it happens. They could have "theme marathons". Like for instance, in the Spring they could have "Bring on the Bugs" marathon and show:

THE DEADLY MANTIS

EMPIRE OF THE ANTS

THE MONSTER THAT CONQUERED THE WORLD

THE FLY

KINGDOM OF THE SPIDERS

BLACK SCORPION

Then in the Spring:

HUMANOIDS FROM THE DEEP

PIRANHA

ATTACK OF THE GIANT LEECHES

SCREAMERS

CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON

WARLORDS OF ATLANTIS

Winter:

THE THING FROM ANOTHER WORLD (1950's version)

GREMLINS

SNOWBEAST

DREAMCATCHER

THE THING FROM ANOTHER WORLD (1982 version)

It's a shame modern entertainment has chose to shun these classics - the good and the bad, as the bad ones are just as fun. They use to play the original King Kong on tv all the time, now tv is full of doomsday prophecies and rednecks shooting everything:neutral:

Luckily I get to sort of relive all of these old classics when I show them to my teenage son. He loved the original KING KONG (preferred it to the latest remake, despite it's being 80 years old!), the Universal monster movies, et. I'd watch an old GAMERA movie over Golf, Mob Wives, and 90% of the other bullshit that's on TV. :wink:

I watched Godzilla vs Gigan the other night, man love it!

That one is great! :nerd:

I read in the other thread you said people think Godzilla vs Megalon is one of the weaker G movies? Man I love that one too, I always wished they would get Jet Jaguar back in the movies.

Right on. There's two of us now! Anyone else out there enjoy GODZILLA VS MEGALON?

As for Jet Jaguar... I've got a Jet Jaguar figure standing on my Shaw Brothers shelf right now. Why on the Shaw Brothers shelf you may wonder? Because JJ is so cool that he can go wherever he damn well pleases. :xd:

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Warlords Of Atlantis is a great movie. Out of print and wicked expensive right now. I'm waiting for this and Fiendish Plot Of Fu Man Chu to come out remastered.

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Oh ya, as well as the just overall cool-assed-ness of everything about King Kong Escapes, Akira Ifukibe NAILED the score. One of his very best musical accomplishments.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Warlords Of Atlantis is a great movie. Out of print and wicked expensive right now. I'm waiting for this and Fiendish Plot Of Fu Man Chu to come out remastered.

I first saw WARLORDS OF ATLANTIS double-billed at the drive-in with AT THE EARTH'S CORE when I was about 8-10 years old. I was in Heaven! :bigsmile: I last watched WARLORDS last year. Still fun. :nerd:

Oh ya, as well as the just overall cool-assed-ness of everything about King Kong Escapes, Akira Ifukibe NAILED the score. One of his very best musical accomplishments.

The music WAS great in this.

ShaOW!linDude
Anyone else out there enjoy GODZILLA VS MEGALON?

Oh, oh! Me, me!!!!!

It was the 1st Godzilla movie I ever saw and, therefore, my favorite.

Love the end where Jet Jaguar holds Megalon while Godzilla does the longest flying kick in history with his tail dragging the ground and staring up at the sky the whole time. The camera keeps cutting back and forth and as a kid I kept wondering "Is he ever gonna connect?" And the kata poses! Sweet!!!!:tongue:

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Oh, oh! Me, me!!!!!

It was the 1st Godzilla movie I ever saw and, therefore, my favorite.

YES!!! :bigsmile:

Better recognize punks. Our group is three strong now! :xd:

Love the end where Jet Jaguar holds Megalon while Godzilla does the longest flying kick in history with his tail dragging the ground and staring up at the sky the whole time. The camera keeps cutting back and forth and as a kid I kept wondering "Is he ever gonna connect?" And the kata poses! Sweet!!!!:tongue:

I used to make my "Shogun Warrior's" Godzilla toy do that move to my other monster toys. Flying G Double Kick! :tongue:

danthemandmv

Count me among the fans of the 13th Godzilla flick!''GODZILLA VS MEGALON'' was the 1st Godzilla movie I saw on the big screen(at a drive-in,no less)so it holds a special place in my heart.I know the film has many nay-sayers but I happen to love it.Megalon is one of my all-time favorite Godzilla foes,as well...

Oddly enough,I always(in my mind,at least)semi-associated ''INFRA-MAN'' with ''G VS MEGALON'' as both films were released Stateside in Summer 1976.Man,what a double bill THAT would be...!:cool:

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Count me among the fans of the 13th Godzilla flick!''GODZILLA VS MEGALON'' was the 1st Godzilla movie I saw on the big screen(at a drive-in,no less)so it holds a special place in my heart.I know the film has many nay-sayers but I happen to love it.Megalon is one of my all-time favorite Godzilla foes,as well...

Cool, the "Megalon Crew" is now in full effect. :bigsmile: LOL

That must have been great to see at the drive-in on that big a screen. :nerd: How old were you when you saw it?

Oddly enough,I always(in my mind,at least)semi-associated ''INFRA-MAN'' with ''G VS MEGALON'' as both films were released Stateside in Summer 1976.Man,what a double bill THAT would be...!:cool:

I didn't see SUPER INFRA-MAN until Celestial released it in the mid 2000's! I can totally see Infra-man fighting Jet Jaguar! :nerd: Wouldn't that have been sweet?

Archived