Picky picky, yes, kung fu shoes 'IN' kung fu movies.

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

Picky picky, yes, kung fu shoes 'IN' kung fu movies.

I have watched a slew of KF movies where ever cast member wore those (so called)

kung fu (practice) shoes. It is annoying to see a period piece, happening in lets say, the 1800's and everyone is wearing THEM.

BTW, I was watching 'Hand of Death', tonight, when I observed said phenomenon which I had wanted to post ABOUT for some time.

Now I have owned a pair w/ the rubber bottoms ( the ones you mostly see in the movies) and the cloth ones. They are not very comfortable as STREET shoes, I am sure any one who has worn them may agree.

So whats up with this? Does it annoy any of U?

Picky, picky, I know, "BUT"!

GD Y-Y :crossedlips:

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not just the shoes. Whole outfits, hair styles, buildings, cars, horses, just about everything you see in many of these classic-era films set in an earlier period are historically inaccurate to some degree. Some examples are glaring such as the unshaven Qing-era foreheads in many films, the extras in '70s attire walking around in FIST OF FURY or circus outfits Chang Cheh had his Venoms Mob wear in all of their films. The main reason I don't count these as negatives is because Hong Kong and Taiwanese filmmakers were consistently inaccurate, from epic studio productions down to cheaply made indie flicks and from general production standards to exaggerated fighting. Like the wuxia films, Chinese operas, and martial arts novels that came before, these films kept their focus on entertainment within a realm of suspended disbelief. So do kung fu shoes annoy me? Nope.

In BLACK BELT JONES, Jim Kelly is wearing platform heels, and when he begins to fight the baddies in the parking lot, he is suddenly wearing Chuck Taylor low-cuts!

:bigsmile:

Archived