Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2013)

AlbertV

The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles are returning to live action on the big screen. The project has been developing for the past couple years, but it looks like things are going faster now that three directors are in the running to helm the new live action film:

Dark Horizons announced that WRATH OF THE TITANS helmer Jonathan Liebesman is in talks with the script being written by MISSION IMPOSSIBLE: GHOST PROTOCOL writers Josh Appelbaum and André Nemec.

Producing under their Platinum Dunes label are Michael Bay, Andrew Form, and Brad Fuller.

Ernie Reyes Jr. I believe is involved somewhat with the casting process, or he was back a few years ago. Not sure if he will still be involved in the film to some capacity.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is talk of the turtles being CGI a la "rise of the Planet of the Apes." Though there has been no talk of motion capture thus far.

Will this be an impressive martial arts film? I'm doubtful.

There is talk of the turtles being CGI a la "rise of the Planet of the Apes." Though there has been no talk of motion capture thus far.

Will this be an impressive martial arts film? I'm doubtful.

that sounds intriguing tho....rise of planet of the apes style with turtles!

ShaOW!linDude

Really, the only way I can tolerate the Turtles is via CGI animation form such as 2007's TMNT. Best Turtle movie ever made.

The animation was boss and the voice talent was great and the plot was actually good. And it was made for $34M, took in 2/3's of its budget on its opening weekend ($24M), and ultimately made almost double what it cost to produce in 3 months (IMDB says $54M, I'd heard it was closer to $60M). May not seem like much but it's certainly nothing to sneer at.

Personally though, I think their time has come and gone. Let 'em be.

Really, the only way I can tolerate the Turtles is via CGI animation form such as 2007's TMNT. Best Turtle movie ever made.

ShaOW!linDude: I have to agree with you I loved that movie I was highly disappointed that they didn't make a sequel even if it went straight to DVD the way it ended was that Shredder was returning! Bring back the CGI Animation!

ShaOW!linDude: I have to agree with you I loved that movie I was highly disappointed that they didn't make a sequel even if it went straight to DVD the way it ended was that Shredder was returning! Bring back the CGI Animation!

The reason why a sequel to TMNT didn't happen is because the CGI animation company, Imagi, shut down production after they completed ASTRO BOY. They had planned a CGI adaptation of the 1970's hit anime GATCHAMAN, but they lost money and thus, shut down.

I believe they are going with the martial arts actors in suits this time around like with their Golden Harvest trilogy.

Wow, talk about a butchering....

The concept of giant pizza eating turtles living with their rat samurai master under the streets of NYC doesn't need reinventing at all for modern times.

However, it's Michael Bay.

I think Bay has too much aliens in his brain...if he goes through with this, he practically destroyed Kevin Eastman and Peter Laird's creation and this duo should ninja kick him!

I think Bay has too much aliens in his brain...if he goes through with this, he practically destroyed Kevin Eastman and Peter Laird's creation and this duo should ninja kick him!

Well, from what I've read the corporation that the stuff came from that mutated the turtles was a front for an alien race trying to take over the world in the original comics.

To me they bastardized the turtles when they turned them into a cartoon in the first place(I was a little older by time the cartoons came out), the original comics were very violent, that's the tmnt movie I'd like to see, a rated R turtle movie aimed at adults, but hey, you don't sell many toys like that:angel: If hollywad had half a nut they'd make this story, which only has Raphael and Casey Jones -

bodycount.jpg

Robbie Rist, who voiced Michaelangelo in the three live-action films of the 1990's, is also livid with Bay's new vision. This is from TMZ:

One of those pissed off fans is voice-actor Robbie Rist ... who recently posted a letter to Bay stating, "You probably don't know me but I did some voice work on the first set of movies that you are starting to talk about sodomizing."

Rist added, "I know believing in mutated talking turtles is kinda silly to begin with but am I supposed to be led to believe there are ninjas from another planet? The rape of our childhood memories continues ... "

Still, Rist tells TMZ ... "Everything I have said here could be off base and wrong ... He has made WAY more money at this than I have."

Monday, Michael Bay said that he is closely working with one of the creators of TMNT for a more complex storyline. Hmmmm...Here's his statement:

“Fans need to take a breath, and chill,” wrote Bay. “They have not read the script. Our team is working closely with one of the original creators of Ninja Turtles to help expand and give a more complex back story. Relax, we are including everything that made you become fans in the first place. We are just building a richer world.”

To me they bastardized the turtles when they turned them into a cartoon in the first place(I was a little older by time the cartoons came out), the original comics were very violent, that's the tmnt movie I'd like to see, a rated R turtle movie aimed at adults, but hey, you don't sell many toys like that:angel:

Toxic Avenger spawned a shortlived kids show called Toxic Crusaders and an action figure line.

I don't see how Bay could make the universe richer. I mean you have stuff like the Mighty Mutanimals, the Neutinos, Rat King and etc. As long as he doesn't bring back Venus de Milo.

Here's the latest...

The movie is undergoing a name change...it's not TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES...it's not TMNT....it's just plain ol' NINJA TURTLES!

Cue Gilbert Gottfried: "WHAT THE FK!"

Here's Michael Bay's comment on the title change, from Dark Horizons:

"Paramount marketing changed the name. They made the title simple. The characters you all remember are exactly the same, and yes they still act like teenagers. Everything you remember, why you liked the characters, is in the movie.

This script is being developed by two very smart writers, with one of the original creators of Ninja Turtles. They care VERY MUCH about making this film for the fans. Everyone on this team cares about the fans. Just give them a chance. Jonathan the director, is a major fan of the whole franchise. HE'S NOT GOING TO LET YOU DOWN."

Ummm you already let us down by A) making the turtles aliens and now B) changing the damn title to just NINJA TURTLES!

I always liked the first live action film. Though USA always aired part 2 through most of the 90's. Part one just had that 90's grime to it ya know. And though it was rated pg it still in my opinion was close to the comics. The foot gettin smashed out. Raph cussin "DAMN!' Part two was alright. Three was a lil out there. TMNT was cool. I just hope the new one does what the first one did. "Attention dudes and dudettes major league butt kickin is back in town." Huh ha

QUOTE=AlbertV;186906]Monday, Michael Bay said that he is closely working with one of the creators of TMNT for a more complex storyline. Hmmmm...Here's his statement:

“Fans need to take a breath, and chill,” wrote Bay. “They have not read the script. Our team is working closely with one of the original creators of Ninja Turtles to help expand and give a more complex back story. Relax, we are including everything that made you become fans in the first place. We are just building a richer world.”

That cannot be possible.... that is horrible.

I've collected all the early comics and the original story arc is very science fiction-y but the turtles themselves still started out as regular old turltes. The ooze that made them what they are is alien, but they are not. Hopefully this is how the movie will end up being.

However Eastman and Laird have always let writers do whatever they want with the turtles so this will be no different I'm sure; "Working with the creators" means nothing in the turtles universe lol.

Also that graphic novel posted back on the last page "Bodycount" is awesome :xd: completely ridiculous gun violence and Eastman has said it is his homage to John Woo, which is pretty cool!

Now it makes sense. The goo that turned the turtles into Teenage Mutant Ninja`s is probably the same goo that gave birth to the Aliens from the Alien movies. Now, that would be an awesome tie-in. Better than the AVP movies. Its a small universe after all.

(haha. jk)

Was it ever a fact that LKL helped on the choreography of TMNT 3 from the original movie series? That was the only one that looked sorta Hong Kong-ish.

Bay is only a producer.. which means its probably a platinum dunes product and he has almost nothing to do with it other than his fat checkbook. he always overblows his "involvement" in his production movies.

I love all his directorial movies and only 1 or 2 of the movies he produced since they never have any of his flair in them.

Archived