DreamWorks to remake Hitchcock classic

DiP

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
masterofoneinchpunch

A lot of Hitchcock movies I really wouldn't want to see remade (Psycho :D), but I'm not sacrosanct with Rebecca. A film I do enjoy (I have the Criterion release), but I do wonder how they would do it differently (most likely change the accident to a murder like it was in the book).

I think I need to see Rebecca again. It was pretty good it but it wasn't as great as I thought probably because I was fresh off watching Rear Window and Psycho. The enjoyment of those had since stuck with me watching other films having the same expectations as far as thrills and suspense go.

Always loved the scene with Joan Fontaine and Judith Anderson when she tries to get her to kill herself.

...Look down there. It's easy, isn't it? Why don't you? Why don't you? Go on. Go on. Don't be afraid.

9648280_ori.jpg

Not a fan of remakes. I think if it was done right the first time, leave it alone. There's only one Hitchcock film that was remade which I think surpassed the original and that was "Shadow of a Doubt," the Hallmark special with Mark Harmon. On the whole I think they tend to be disasters - Psycho and Rear Window being two that come to mind where the originals were untouchable.

Laura

masterofoneinchpunch
Not a fan of remakes. I think if it was done right the first time, leave it alone. There's only one Hitchcock film that was remade which I think surpassed the original and that was "Shadow of a Doubt," the Hallmark special with Mark Harmon. On the whole I think they tend to be disasters - Psycho and Rear Window being two that come to mind where the originals were untouchable.

Laura

I would say The Lodger (1944) was the best remake of a Hitchcock film. John Brahm's direction, the cinematography, the ending that Hitchcock wanted for his original film and Laird Cregar's performance make this one of the best "horror" films of the 1940s. Cregar had a run of excellent roles up until his early death.

Archived