John Woo's Best American Movie?

One Armed Boxer

What is your favorite Hollywood John Woo movie?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Hollywood John Woo movie?

• Paycheck (2003)
    • Windtalkers (2002)
    • Mission: Impossible 2 (2000)
    • Blackjack (1998)
    • Face Off (1997)
    • Broken Arrow (1996)
    • Hard Target (1993)

One Armed Boxer

A few recent comments on the forum have mentioned how John Woo's Hollywood output was of a pretty good quality compared to other Hong Kong stalwarts who jumped ship after the '97 handover.

It got me thinking about, out of the seven full feature length productions that he made while he was in the States, which one is your personal favorite & why?

For me personally I will go with 'Hard Target', it was one of those movies that I watched when I was first getting into HK cinema, and although my memory is a little hazy might have also been responsible for leading me to seek out 'The Killer' and 'Hard Boiled'...and any movie that's responsible for that should be rated highly!

I do remember being impressed by the staging of the shootouts though, the ridiculous vehicle stunts, and Van Damme's mullet...so my vote goes there.

How about everyone else?

I'm a "Face Off" fan. When it first came out I loved it for its action and crazy plot. Now I've grown up a little, I love it for its action, crazy plot and utter ridiculousness. It's camp, cheesy action at its best.

Throw in some trademark Nicolas Cage over-acting and you have yourself a certified classic.

Broken Arrow by far for me---one of my favorite action movies ever.

edit: actually, looking at the list again, I forgot about MI:2--I like that almost as much as Broken Arrow.

ShaOW!linDude

Hmmm. I've only see 5 of the 7. (The 2 missed being Blackjack and Windtalkers.)

Face-Off was pretty good.

Broken Arrow was actually better than I thought it'd be.

I loved Paycheck.

And I find Hard Target to be one of JCVD's best films.

But......I'm going with Mission Impossible 2. It's the best of the franchise (haven't seen Ghost Protocol yet though). I love the action sequences in it. And if Dougray Scott hadn't gotten held up in its production, we wouldn't have Hugh Jackman for Wolverine in the X-MEN films.

But......I'm going with Mission Impossible 2. It's the best of the franchise (haven't seen Ghost Protocol yet though). I love the action sequences in it. And if Dougray Scott hadn't gotten held up in its production, we wouldn't have Hugh Jackman for Wolverine in the X-MEN films.

It was the best action movie of the franchise, but it had nothing to do with what M:I was all about. The first will always be the best.

Face Off for me, easily. It was his biggest most ambitious Hollywood production and he pulled it off. In fact M:I 2 almost felt like Face Off 2. And as I said before, first is best.

One Armed Boxer
I loved Paycheck.

ShaOW!linDude....I think you are the first person I've come across to actually give this movie any love, in general it seems to be regarded as Woo's weakest and most tame Hollywood movie, which to be honest my opinion also falls under. What did you love about it!?

ShaOW!linDude
ShaOW!linDude....I think you are the first person I've come across to actually give this movie any love, in general it seems to be regarded as Woo's weakest and most tame Hollywood movie, which to be honest my opinion also falls under. What did you love about it!?

Whoops! I confused Paycheck (starring Ben Affleck), which I did think was pretty good, with Payback (starring Mel Gibson) which I love.

I did like the premise of Paycheck though. It was sort of futuristic and the fact that he had all these the items for which he had no idea the reason for. Then things just fell into place. (I confess though.....it's been years since I've seen this and then that was at the $2 movie theater. Hey, for $2?.......it was good! Not a bad film for Affleck but then......I liked Reindeer Games.:tongue:)

Thanks for calling me out on that, OAB.:wink:

gwailosforever

I remeber Ben Affleck being interviewed in Empire magazine. He was asked what it was like working with Woo and he responded saying he'd always been a big fan and that Woo is a true gentleman and a wonderful human being. When asked what Michael Bay was like he responded with "a twelve year old c*nt" hehehe

For the record it's a tie between Hard Target and Face/Off, although I do have a soft spot for Broken Arrow and MI2

Guest Markgway

Paycheck was OK. I liked the premise even if it was ultimately watered down Woo. I found it more enjoyable than Windtalkers.

The action in Hard Target is masterful given the restraints placed on him by the producers (I'm obviously ignoring the R-rated version).

Guest Yi-Long

Hard Target is my favourite American Woo flick.

I hated Face-Off, which was just stupid, and I didn't care about any of those other movies listed either. Haven't seen Windtalkers yet though.

Has to be Face Off, it's the only movie Woo made in America that even looks like one of his movies. Hard Target, as a U.S movie in general, was okay, but a big quality drop from Hard Boiled that's for sure!! (I reckon, if you took Woo's name off the credits, anyone who didnt know anything about HK fliks would never guess there made by the same man-Target just looks like a bad rip-off). The only other Woo US flik I dont mind is Windtalkers, coz at least it's well made and Nic Cage is excellent in it.

Guest Markgway

I could easily tell Hard Target was a John Woo movie. It has his style written all over it.

Face/Off on the other hand looks like the work of any accomplished action director.

Face/Off on the other hand looks like the work of any accomplished action director.

In respect, I disagree with this. Compare this film with other action films of its time like The Rock or Con Air. This movie is more focused on gun play and had some signature slow motion shots.

On the other hand, I didn't get much style at all from Hard Target. But it has been awhile since I've seen it...maybe I need to watch it again.

Cognoscente

I've always thought that how much you like Hard Target depends on where you live and when you saw it. If you saw the American version back in the nineties then you were bound to be underwhelmed.

In the UK, it was a different story altogether. With the few extra minutes of bloodshed, the movie is so popular that it used to be aired on ITV 4 once a month then it became once a week, and even twice in the same week...but this was back in the previous decade.

• Like 1