First Kung Fu Comedy?

Omni Dragon

What is the earliest Kung Fu Comedy?

I hear THE SPIRITUAL BOXER referred to as the first Kung Fu surly these people are talk about Shapes as clear THE WAY OF THE DRAGON is a comedy?

Are there any Comedy Shapes before THE SPIRITUAL BOXER?

& Are there any Martial Art Comedy before THE WAY OF THE DRAGON?

& when saying "Kung Fu Comedy" are they on about shapes or Martial Art films of any type?

• Like 1

I never thougt of The Way of the Dragon as a comedy, only unintentionally and hilariously so. Sure, it's obviously not played completely straight, but the underlying tone of the film is obviously serious, at least to me.

To my knowledge, although admittedly limited regarding pre-1977 kung fu movies, The Spiritual Boxer is the first Kung Fu Comedy. I've heard the Karl Maka-movie The Good, the Bad and the Loser being cited as the first Kung Fu comedy, but it was released in 1976, and I would definitely consider Spiritual Boxer a comedy. However, the focus in SB is definitely on comedy, and although the end fight is very good, there's really not that much kung fu in it, so I wouldn't necessarily label it a kung fu movie.

• Like 1

Call Me Dragon was also '74, that one proper yuks it up.

'Way' had some very intentional pretty smart cross cutural comedy to start! The toilet scene stands out... the soup bit, Bruce's attitudes to some landmarks, etc., witty culture clash stuff. But agree of course overall tone is more serious.

I guess when people think kung comedy they think buffoonery... Bruce's Way toilet gag was generally way smarter compared to the ott toilet humour of later!

• Like 1

Does anyone remember any of Jim Kelly's movies? I'm not sure if the comedy in movies like Black Belt Jones or Hot Potato ( was that an actual title? I think I'm remembering it correctly) was intentional, but certainly no one could've been expected to think of Jim's movies as serious dramas!

• Like 1

Cognoscente
On 2/10/2012 at 12:41 AM, Apanblod said:

I never thought of The Way of the Dragon as a comedy, only unintentionally and hilariously so. Sure, it's obviously not played completely straight, but the underlying tone of the film is obviously serious, at least to me.

I think that applies more to Sammo's Iron-Fisted Monk: a drama with humour thrown in.

This got me thinking - where did Jackie get the idea from to become a comedy actor? Did it take being miscast in Lo Wei's movies to make him realize what he was really destined for? Even as a stuntman, we never saw him in Michael Hui's Games Gamblers Play (which Sammo worked on).

• Like 2