The Association (1975) - subbed vcd?

Jack J

FS's DVD and VCD release of THE ASSOCIATION is listed on various sites as having no subs. However, I could imagine they might have the info from the DVD version, and since FS sometimes use different prints for their VCDs I was wondering if there's a chance they used a subbed print for the VCD but not for the DVD. Have any of you bought the VCD? Thanks.

http://hkmdb.com/db/movies/view.mhtml?id=5608&display_set=eng

l_p0014101568.jpg

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have the Joy Sales DVD, I watched it and, no, it does not have subs. As far as I know the VCD is unsubbed as well. Think there was a cut full-screen video release once that had burned-in English & Chinese subs.

I love this film. I nearly cried when I got the Joysales DVD and it had no subs on it!!

Joysales VCD + DVD = no English subs.

I'd be happy to pay for an English subbed copy, or maybe someone has the VHS for sale/trade? I've never seen this gem subbed!:ooh:

Originally Posted by luckystars

I love this film. I nearly cried when I got the Joysales DVD and it had no subs on it!!

Well, I enjoyed the benefit of a live Mandarin-English translation that was probably more accurate than the subs JS usually dishes up on their older catalogue titles. My verdict would be that it is a cool film, no doubt, the JS print is serviceable too, but I wouldn’t rate it as one of Cheng Chang Ho’s best efforts.

The English Dubbed Version is full uncut as is the Joy Sales DVD Version for those who wanna watch a Dub for the stupid & dumb people who did not learn Mandarin in School. and yes, some fans dubbed it onto the superior French DVD, as that is proper PAL. it won't make the rounds as the fareastflix bootlegger would steal and sell it for profit.

Joysales VCD + DVD = no English subs.

I'd be happy to pay for an English subbed copy, or maybe someone has the VHS for sale/trade? I've never seen this gem subbed!:ooh:

I have an Eng. dub from the VHS that I burned to a disc...

Lol, that's the only way I've been able to enjoy it. The Eng. dub here is a riot.

Guest Markgway

I get the feeling that I watched this one twice (sort of).

I watched the cut subbed version and then I watched the missing bits from the uncut version without subs.

I didn't like the film much, but that's the completist in me.

Thanks for your replies, fellas. A couple of you have got the Fortune Star DVD and make the assumption that the VCD doesn't have subs simply because the DVD doesn't have them. Like I said in my first post, it's seen on several occasions that FS sometimes use different prints for their DVDs and VCDs so unless someone has actually checked the VCD I'm not buying the answer. :tongue:

May I just remind you of the A MAN CALLED TIGER case: FS DVD = 74 min. / FS VCD = approx 30 min. longer!!

i have the VCD and it has no English Subs. it's from the same Master as the DVD with videogenerated new Chinese Subs in the Black Bar for VCD.

Joy Sales Info on subs were all correct from what i had here. Taiwan often ignores the English subs on the Cover Infos. but this was not released in Taiwan i guess.

btw, MAN CALLED TIGER: VCD has a 35mm Cinema Print, the DVD has the Version which was also released on HK VHS back then. seems to be some re-release Print like the shortened DRAGON FIST.

silver hermit

i think there was vcd that had subs years ago i remember watching and liking it back in the day

Killer Meteor

This is a slow moving film - the editing is really sluggish and the sound design is dull and too quiet.

But it does have the funniest abortion scene ever.

I am just finishing up subs for the Association. What a crazy flic! The actual title is "The God Of Brothel Detectives" or "The God Of Vice Detectives". The abortion scene is bizarre and hillarious. It involves a lot of dancing and breasts. Sammo has a supporting part and Carter Huang is in this for a second.

Things I've learnt from The Association - Garlic can be a synonym for innocent in Chinese. The best line in the movie is "Don't pretend you're garlic!". Also, important or influential people are called "Red" people. I guess because red is a lucky color in china. There is a very Shaw-ish vibe to The Association, as some have said. It's VERY campy. More skin than other Golden Harvest films I've seen.

One Armed Boxer
I am just finishing up subs for the Association.

Hey Haz....ironically I was speaking with bigrogie about this movie less than a week ago regarding a subtitled copy! Will you be making this available on DVD?

I am just finishing up subs for the Association. What a crazy flic! The actual title is "The God Of Brothel Detectives" or "The God Of Vice Detectives". The abortion scene is bizarre and hillarious. It involves a lot of dancing and breasts. Sammo has a supporting part and Carter Huang is in this for a second.

Things I've learnt from The Association - Garlic can be a synonym for innocent in Chinese. The best line in the movie is "Don't pretend you're garlic!". Also, important or influential people are called "Red" people. I guess because red is a lucky color in china. There is a very Shaw-ish vibe to The Association, as some have said. It's VERY campy. More skin than other Golden Harvest films I've seen.

Can I get a copy, for trade or something?

One Armed Boxer
This will be a project, so it will be available for sale! I am putting together the menus for it right now! The subs are done.

That's great news! Please don't keep us waiting as long as you did for 'Za Karate 2 & 3'!

I bought the joy sales dvd and watched it afew days ago. I was slowly getting into the movie but was kind of disappointed with the ending which seemed to happen out of nowhere. I was expecting a endfight but there wasn't one. And what a waste of Carter Wong!

Archived