Want to see more Hideo Gosha DVD's on R1?

Vegeta84

Oil Hell Murder is late Gosha at his worst. A long melodrama for the housewife audiences. The only other Gosha that I dislike (almost) as much is Gate of Flesh.

I wonder why the R1 industry keeps obtaining these second grade Goshas instead of his 60's and 70's masterpieces. None of his 80's or 90's films is as good as his 60's or 70's films (except for Tracked, 1985)

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oil Hell Murder is late Gosha at his worst. A long melodrama for the housewife audiences. The only other Gosha that I dislike (almost) as much is Gate of Flesh.

I wonder why the R1 industry keeps obtaining these second grade Goshas instead of his 60's and 70's masterpieces. None of his 80's or 90's films is as good as his 60's or 70's films (except for Tracked, 1985)

Gosha made so many films in the 80's. I think about 50% of his output was in the 80's and early 90's.

I'm surprised, actually shocked that Tenchu hasn't been released on R1 yet. I don't get it.

Still some good stuff has been released on R1. Goyokin, The Wolves, and Onimasa are some of my favorites. I really wish they would release Hunter In The Dark and Violent Streets. Those are great.

Criterion has gotten the rights to two more Gosha films, Heat Wave, and Tracked. So that brings up their total of unreleased Gosha films to 6! Damn, I wish these guy would release some of them on disc already.

1. Hunter In The Dark

2. Bandits Vs Samurai Squadron

3. Tracked

4. Death Shadows

5. Heat Wave

6. Oil Hell Murder.

Wow. I'm really starting to get annoyed that their pile is get larger and larger, but it does us no good if they don't release them.

Well it seems like Criterion has an HD transfer for Hunter in the Dark. So if you haven't sent an e-mail to Criterion to release this great film please do. They are holding onto this film and not releasing it for whatever reason that I don't fathom. E-mail is below.

mulvaney@criterion.com

An interesting and informative Gosha article at Wildgrounds:

http://www.wildgrounds.com/feature-hideo-gosha/

The same author's article at Midnight Eye, Part I:

http://www.midnighteye.com/features/hideo-gosha-the-manly-way/

(still cannot understand how he considers the utterly fantastic Violent Streets a failure, but each to his own)

Posting a bump for this in case someone hasn't done this. Still can't believe they haven't released any of these with some good interviews/special features.

Well it's been years since I posted my initial topic and I just watched Heat Wave for the first time two days ago. This Gosha film didn't get the best reviews, but I honestly loved it and it brought back my love of all things Hideo Gosha.

Since this is technically a new forum and there might be new members here, I would like to put an updated post. Criterion still hasn't released any of the six films I've mentioned and I'm hoping we can fire out a few e-mails to them. I just sent another two days ago. All the e-mail info is provided in my first post, but in case you don't want to click the back button, please e-mail them at mulvaney@criterion.com  and/or suggestions@criterion.com.

Hunter in the Dark is still one of the all time best Japanese films in my eyes and it has Sonny Chiba in his best performance. Please, lets try and get these films out. Would love to hear Tatsuya Nakadai talking about Hunter in the Dark, Bandits Vs Samurai Squadron, and Heat Wave.

Well it's been years since I posted my initial topic and I just watched Heat Wave for the first time two days ago. This Gosha film didn't get the best reviews, but I honestly loved it and it brought back my love of all things Hideo Gosha.

Since this is technically a new forum and there might be new members here, I would like to put an updated post. Criterion still hasn't released any of the six films I've mentioned and I'm hoping we can fire out a few e-mails to them. I just sent another two days ago. All the e-mail info is provided in my first post, but in case you don't want to click the back button, please e-mail them at mulvaney@criterion.com  and/or suggestions@criterion.com.

Hunter in the Dark is still one of the all time best Japanese films in my eyes and it has Sonny Chiba in his best performance. Please, lets try and get these films out. Would love to hear Tatsuya Nakadai talking about Hunter in the Dark, Bandits Vs Samurai Squadron, and Heat Wave.

Thanks for the reminder, I sent him an email today about this and also to suggest they release some more jidai-geki on blu ray such as Samurai Spy (my favorite ninja flick).  FYI those 6 Hideo Gosha titles you mentioned are available to watch on HULU.

Thanks for the reminder, I sent him an email today about this and also to suggest they release some more jidai-geki on blu ray such as Samurai Spy (my favorite ninja flick).  FYI those 6 Hideo Gosha titles you mentioned are available to watch on HULU.

Yeah, thanks to some free time I actually watched Heat Wave and Death Shadows for the first time this Thanksgiving break and it reminded me why I love Hideo Gosha so much. Heat Wave doesn't always get the most praise, but it's still a might fine film.

Samurai Spy is great, and thankfully we have a DVD of that at the very least. I'm pretty sure they have the rights to the Lone Wolf and Cub films so they will probably release that before they release titles that have never been released before.

Hunter in the Dark is still my favorite Gosha films and in my top jidai-geki films of all time.

Either way, thank you so much for sending out an e-mail. Every bit helps.

Archived