Want to see more Hideo Gosha DVD's on R1?

Vegeta84

The good folks at Criterion are releasing 3 Outlaw Samurai this month, but it shouldn't just stop there. They hold the rights to at least three other Gosha films to my knowledge. Three!

Bandits Vs Samurai Squadron

Hunter In The Dark

Death Shadows

Hunter In The Dark is a masterpiece and deserves to be seen by more and the only way that is going to happen is if Criterion releases it.

Send an e-mail to mulvaney@criterion.com and suggest that they release these fine films and maybe one day it will happen. Can't hurt to send an e-mail right?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am a huge Gosha fan. thanks for the heads up. I've already emailed them to show my support for his amazing films.

We just need more people to email!

There are a bunch of Samurai films available on Hulu+. I'd rather have the DVD/Blu rays. These digital distribution channels tend to tak films down without warning at the drop of a hat.

Yeah, I would love to have these on discs versus just watching them online. I'm glad that Criterion put these out on Hulu, but again they do need discs.

Hunter In the Dark is pure Gosha and you can't go wrong with a Tatsuya Nakadai Vs Sonny Chiba sword duel to the death in a chicken barn. A chicken barn! I would love to finally throw away my bootleg and have something legit.

The more interest that Criterion sees for these films, the more likely they will see a release, so please send an e-mail if you can.

Criterion also released "Sword of the Beast" on DVD, so hopefully we'll see it on Blu-ray soon. They recently hinted at upcoming re-release of Inagaki's Samurai Trilogy and if this one sells well, I'm sure we'll see plenty of chanbara from CC in the future.

Oh, and I think buying a copy of "3 Outlaw Samurai" AND then spamming their mailbox is a better idea :)

Just finished watching Three Outlaw Samurai from Criterion. They did an excellent job with the transfer, while a bit light on the special features.

Still, the essay in the booklet and I never knew Toshiro Mifune actually filmed half of his role in Goyokin until he quit. Guessing he either had Nakadai's or Tambas role.

Seeing this makes me want more Japanese films from Criterion, specifically Hideo Gosha films.

Again they did an amazing job.

Just finished watching Three Outlaw Samurai from Criterion. They did an excellent job with the transfer, while a bit light on the special features.

Still, the essay in the booklet and I never knew Toshiro Mifune actually filmed half of his role in Goyokin until he quit. Guessing he either had Nakadai's or Tambas role.

Seeing this makes me want more Japanese films from Criterion, specifically Hideo Gosha films.

Again they did an amazing job.

How awesome would it be if Criterion could include a montage of Mifune footage in a Goyokin Blu ray as a special feature!!! Sadly, this would only happen in an alternative universe.

Well we are now up to 7 out of 24 films having legit releases in the United States. We are slowly getting there.

1. Three Outlaw Samurai

2. Sword Of The Beast

3. Secret Of The Urn

4. Goyokin

5. The Wolves

6. Onimasa

7. The Geisha

If Criterion releases the three they have, we will be up to 10.

The one release that hasn't happened that shocks me the most is Tenchu. Easily one of the best Samurai films ever made starring Katsu. It really doesn't make a lick of sense why this hasn't come out yet.

• Administrator
The good folks at Criterion are releasing 3 Outlaw Samurai this month, but it shouldn't just stop there. They hold the rights to at least three other Gosha films to my knowledge. Three!

Bandits Vs Samurai Squadron

Hunter In The Dark

Death Shadows

Hunter In The Dark is a masterpiece and deserves to be seen by more and the only way that is going to happen is if Criterion releases it.

Send an e-mail to mulvaney@criterion.com and suggest that they release these fine films and maybe one day it will happen. Can't hurt to send an e-mail right?

Hey brother.:bigsmile: Great thread! I just watched THREE OUTLAW SAMURAI yesterday- first time I saw it. Wow! Great film!

I couldn't agree more with you about HUNTER IN THE DARK. Fantastic film from start to finish. :nerd:

Thanks for the suggestion and even supplying the e-mail of the gentleman we should write too. Excellent! If every Gosha fan that reads this post actually takes the time to do this it will certainly make a huge impact! I will send my e-mail tonight. :angel:

I am a huge Gosha fan. thanks for the heads up. I've already emailed them to show my support for his amazing films.

We just need more people to email!

Amen brother! I'm on the bandwagon for this! :bigsmile:

The more interest that Criterion sees for these films, the more likely they will see a release, so please send an e-mail if you can.

Oh, and I think buying a copy of "3 Outlaw Samurai" AND then spamming their mailbox is a better idea :)

Super valid points. you there reading this... Yes, YOU. Please send an e-mail. :wink:

How awesome would it be if Criterion could include a montage of Mifune footage in a Goyokin Blu ray as a special feature!!! Sadly, this would only happen in an alternative universe.

That would really be a SPECIAL feature wouldn't it?

Well we are now up to 7 out of 24 films having legit releases in the United States. We are slowly getting there.

1. Three Outlaw Samurai

2. Sword Of The Beast

3. Secret Of The Urn

4. Goyokin

5. The Wolves

6. Onimasa

7. The Geisha

If Criterion releases the three they have, we will be up to 10.

The one release that hasn't happened that shocks me the most is Tenchu. Easily one of the best Samurai films ever made starring Katsu. It really doesn't make a lick of sense why this hasn't come out yet.

I just saw this for the first time this year. Amazing film! Katsu was on fire in that one. His eyes were positively blazing in his performance. Outstanding.

That's the spirit Kung Fu Bob!

I wish really wish there was another forum that I could spread the word about Gosha and the possibility of getting these films out by Criterion, but I'm not sure where.

Having Criterion release Hunter In The Dark would be amazing on disc instead of just Hulu. It's nut how many Japanese films they have the rights to that haven't been released.

Gosha's films are fantastic. Hideo Gosha's films (Three Outlaw Samurai and Sword of the Beast) remind me of Budd Boetticher's westerns with Randolph Scott.

James

The whole Criterion topic made me want to bump this up in case someone missed it the first time. Lets get these Gosha films out there in the R1 format. They are films that deserve an availability for Japanese film fans. Criterion has had the rights to Bandits Vs Samurai Squadron for quite some time.

Hunter In the Dark is pure Gosha and you can't go wrong with a Tatsuya Nakadai Vs Sonny Chiba sword duel to the death in a chicken barn. A chicken barn!

Are you freaking serious?!? Why have I not seen this film!!!!!:sad:

• Administrator
Are you freaking serious?!? Why have I not seen this film!!!!!:sad:

Good question! :smile: It's a fantastic flick.

Tosh, please join us in the letter writing to beg for/show support for the release of these films. The e-mail address to send your letter to is on page 1 of this thread. I'm getting ready to send another request myself.

As Kung Fu Bob already said, if you can send a letter to the e-mail provided on the first post it would be greatly appreciated. If you can send another letter Kung Fu Bob it would also be greatly appreciated.

I wouldn't say Hunter In The Dark is Gosha's best work, but it is my favorite. It's a tragic tale, done to perfection. Throw in a huge cast of Japanese greats, and you have a classic.

Hoping Criterion releases this soon as well as Bandits Vs Samurai Squadron and Death Shadows. I actually think they have been sitting on the rights to Bandits Vs Samurai for over five years at this point. They allowed it to be shown at a film festival not so long ago.

• Administrator
As Kung Fu Bob already said, if you can send a letter to the e-mail provided on the first post it would be greatly appreciated. If you can send another letter Kung Fu Bob it would also be greatly appreciated.

Will do.

I wouldn't say Hunter In The Dark is Gosha's best work, but it is my favorite. It's a tragic tale, done to perfection. Throw in a huge cast of Japanese greats, and you have a classic.

HUNTER IN THE DARK was the first Sonny Chiba chanbara film that I saw. Can you imagine my high expectations, and complete and utter surprise when the next one I saw was SHOGUN'S NINJA?! :smile: Not saying I don't enjoy SHOGUN'S NINJA... but it certainly isn't a Gosha film. :tongue:

Hoping Criterion releases this soon as well as Bandits Vs Samurai Squadron and Death Shadows. I actually think they have been sitting on the rights to Bandits Vs Samurai for over five years at this point. They allowed it to be shown at a film festival not so long ago.

:nerd: Wish I could've seen that!

I mentioned those three films in particular in my letter.

Sounds great Bob. Hopefully, they will notice that there is an actual audience for these films.

Yeah, Shoguns Ninja doesn't compared to Hunter In The Dark. Shoguns Samurai on the hand is also a classic. Love that one.

Good question! :smile: It's a fantastic flick.

Tosh, please join us in the letter writing to beg for/show support for the release of these films. The e-mail address to send your letter to is on page 1 of this thread. I'm getting ready to send another request myself.

Yeah I'll be sure to do that:nerd:

• Administrator
Sounds great Bob. Hopefully, they will notice that there is an actual audience for these films.

They'll have no choice! When the hunter appears at your doorway... the demon at the end of your bed... the fan letters in your e-mail... you must here their roar! :tongue:

Yeah, Shoguns Ninja doesn't compared to Hunter In The Dark. Shoguns Samurai on the hand is also a classic. Love that one.

Agreed. Great movie. I'm also a big fan of SHOGUN'S SHADOW.

Yeah I'll be sure to do that:nerd:

You have joined an elite team of chanbara lovers with unique abilitis (including but not limited to- watching films, typing, and buying DVDs/Blu-Rays). Welcome. :nerd:

Shoguns Shadow is also a great one. Ken Ogata Vs Sonny Chiba. Another great match up.

Joined another forum and started the same topic over there. I'm not aware of many other forums that deal with Asian cinema with a good user base. If there are any that are suggested, I'll join those as well and start this topic there as well.

Wasn't Bandit's Vs. Samurai Squadron where Gosha flew into a rage and fired half the crew? He was a notorious director. But he was SO GOOD!

My personal favorite, is Goyokin! If you haven't seen it, do yourself a favor and just buy it now. Some of the finest cinematography in a samurai film that I've ever seen.

Yeah, he fired a good chunk of his staff on that film. That film is a bit of a mess, but it is an entertaining mess. I wonder if fired any of the actors and who they were. This was the last film he worked with Kunie Tankaka who was one of his regulars until this film. Wonder if anything happened between them.

It looks like Criterion also has the rights to The Oil-Hell Murder which was Gosha's last film. Haven't seen it.

So Criterion now has the rights to 4 of his films and still haven't released anything in over a year. So if you haven't e-mailed them yet, please do as it would be amazing to get 4 Gosha films over to the R1 market.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
It looks like Criterion also has the rights to The Oil-Hell Murder which was Gosha's last film. Haven't seen it.

So Criterion now has the rights to 4 of his films and still haven't released anything in over a year. So if you haven't e-mailed them yet, please do as it would be amazing to get 4 Gosha films over to the R1 market.

Or even if you already have e-mailed them... It couldn't hurt to do so again to show that you would support Gosha releases.

It only takes a minute... Come on... you can do it. :wink:

Archived