Yuen Kwai's Hero (1997)

Bods

I own a cut version of this movie on VHS and never bothered with getting the original HK dvd release as from memory it was also edited - was there ever a more complete dvd release of this film? Did the IVL dvd manage it? Alternatives?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The most uncut version is supposedly an LD version... I think I read that? Some people say the last IVL release is uncut, but I know the UK version definitely is, decent release but it has burnt-in subs. Just to be clear, there's a version out there with even more violence but who knows who has it.

I love this film!

I mean really LOVE it :xd:

For the record, there's no totally 'uncut' version of this film, for the reason that the Taiwanese version has an alternate scene of violence (man being decapitated by horse/wire rig - close up of head instead of long shot).

So you have a 'Taiwanese' print, uncut on VCD & LD (possibly, I forget)

A Taiwanese DVD by 'WA" with some cuts, but mostly intact (but in mandarin obviously)

HK DVD by Universe with most of the hard violence cut (bamboo impalement etc. in finale) but in the original Cantonese dub.

That 'Restored' Celestial DVD, I found unwatchable crap. It's running sped up most of the film and I assume there were fame cuts all over the place, as with other Celestial discs. The run time is much shorter than all other versions.

I may be wrong but I believe the old UK VHS tape was the 'cut' Cantonese print, with cuts restored by splicing shots back from another print. The UK DVD was cut however.

Spannick is the guy to ask on this one, hopefully though I've remembered most of it correctly!

How about the German DVD (Kampf der Traiden - The Big Boss)?

It says it runs 98 min. Others versions run 97 min. (I think). Enough to make a difference?

I'm sure I read a post on here or a thread saying the last German release was the most uncut dvd available? I still want that if it's true.

The version that I'm seeing says it's FSK 16 rated which I assume is cut? I heard there was also an FSK 18 rated version. Aargh, this is getting confusing. :tinysmile_angry2_t:

Guest Markgway

There seems to be two DE releases with pretty much the same cover.

1. M.I.B. (3/6/08) FSK-18

2. Lighthouse (3/11/09) FSK-16

I don't know if these are different versions or why a cut edition would be released not long after an uncut version.

If anyone could clear this up it would be appreciated.

Also, how is the image quality? I know the print isn't from a Celestial remaster (no frame cuts) but does it look decent or a piece of shit?

no, the Celestial Version is framecut-butchered, German Version is from an older Master (most likey the VHS Video Master released there)

no, the Celestial Version is framecut-butchered, German Version is from an older Master (most likey the VHS Video Master released there)

spannick is usually right, didn't know they used a different master. It was very watchable on a SD-TV. Been a while, though.

Archived