Descendants of Wing Chun

shukocarl

The Silver Fox

It's got a lot of stalwarts of the genre-Lee Hoi San,Fung Hak On,Norman Chu and others. It starts a little slow and picks up and the second half contains some nice fights. I have the Tai Seng version which is letterboxed and English dubbed . I score it a 7/10.

ShaOW!linDude

I used to have this a few years ago. Thought I still did but I'm not finding it anywhere in my stash. I guess I traded it off so I must not have been all that impressed with it (and I tend to hang onto even the most mediocre MA films).

Cheer You On

It's good but there's not enough Wing Chun dummy action. Also, I thought Hon Yee-Sang was a poor man's Sammo.

I noticed that the movie was released three days after Warriors Two. Both movies share the same protagonists, and even the Chinese titles are similar. Warriors Two turned out to be a turning point for Fung Hak-On because (with the exception of Yuen Woo-Ping's The Magnificent Butcher) he didn't work with Sammo again from 1979 to 1981.

Source of release date for DOWC: https://www.ibuaa.com/details/347907.html

Edited by Cheer You On
  • Like 2

My old capsule review:

Descendant of Wing Chun (1978) - Made the same year as Sammo Hung's masterpiece Warriors two, this is sort of the poor man's take on the same subject matter, as directed and choreographed by Huang Ha, the "one cripple comes in, two come out" guy in Drunken Master. This time we have Norman Tsui Siu-Keung as Moneychanger Wah (Casanova Wong's role from WT); Melvin Wong as Leung Tsan (Leung Kar-Yan's role); and Hon Yee-Sang (who played the fat gangster hiding out at the club in the first Project A movie) in the Sammo Hung role. The fighting is all solid (lots of crisp wing chun on display and some decent Southern Eagle Claw from villains Lee Hoi-San and Fung Hak-On, who just passed away this week), even if nothing sticks out. Most wing chun enthusiasts should be pleased with the action here. The main problem is the script, which pulls a Kung Fu Hustle and switches protagonists at the hour point. Top-billed Tsui Siu-Keung is nothing but a supporting character until the end, when he suddenly becomes the main guy. Since Moneychanger Wah had been training at Shaolin, the fact that middle act largely forgets about him is a big disappointment. The rest of the movie focuses on Hon Yee-Sang's Ah Kwei until a tragic turn of events in the third act. This was released by Tai Seng along with Legend of the Drunken Tiger as part of their "Shaolin Classic Series". 

Edited by DrNgor
  • Like 3

I watched it recently and I enjoyed it a lot. Too bad that the picture quality wasn't as good as expected...

• Like 2