Yukari Oshima

KUNG FU BOB

• Administrator

In response to some interest in her films in a different thread, I created this thread dedicated to Miss Oshima. Please feel free to share any info or photos that you fellow fans may have on her here.

The following is reposted from another thread:

instant noodles said:
Hmm, after seeing this thread I noticed I have serious lack of YO education. I think have only kf wonderchild, iron angels and burning ambition:cry:

You NEED more. :nerd:

I recommend you check out OUTLAW BROTHERS with her and Frankie (I fought Yuen Biao at the end of PRODIGAL SON) Chan. Hong Kong Legends put out a great DVD of it.

Hey, to make this an easy-access thread for fans searching for info on Yukari Oshima I'll start a thread up on her.

YUKARI OSHIMA

Yukari Ōshima (大島由加里 Ōshima Yukari, Pinyin: Dàidǎo Yóujiālǐ, born December 31, 1963) is a Japanese actress and martial artist. Born Tsumura Yukari (津村ゆかり) in Nishi-ku, Fukuoka, Japan, to a successful Japanese businessman and fashion designer and to a Chinese woman. Yukari began studying Gōjū-ryū in junior high.

She was one of Japan's brightest female martial artists during the 1980s and one of the leading ladies of the babes and bullets fad of Hong Kong action cinema. She's known as the role "Farrah Cat" in Bioman, which aired not only in Japan originally but also worldwide. She is best known to Western audiences as Yomi in Riki-Oh. After her Hong Kong career dried up, she left for the Philippines in the 1990s and used the stage name Cynthia Luster.

Oshima resides in Fukuoka, Japan, where she's promoted tourism in the city. She is commonly known to Western audiences as the actress in the Marlboro Lite commercials (in the late 1990s).

FILMOGRAPHY

A Book of Heroes (1986)

The Funny Family (1986)

Millionaire's Express (1986)

Angel (1987)

Angel's Mission (1988)

Burning Ambition (1989)

Close Escape (1989)

Final Run (1989)

Framed (1989)

Kung Fu Wonder Child (1989)

Lucky Seven 2 (1989)

A Punch to Revenge (1989)

Brave Young Girls (1990)

Midnight Angels (1990)

Never Say Regret (1990)

Outlaw Brothers (1989)

That's Money (1990)

The Angels (1991)

Devil Cat (1991)

Dreaming the Reality (1991

Godfather's Daughter's Mafia Blues (1991)

Spiritually a Cop (1991)

The Avenging Quartet (1992)

Angel the Kickboxer (1992)

Beauty Investigator (1992)

The Big Deal (1992)

The Direct Line (1992)

Hard to Kill (1992)

Fatal Chase (1992)

Kickboxer's Tears (新龙争虎斗) (1992)

Lover's Tear (1992) (cameo)

Mission of Justice (1992)

Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky (1991)

The Story of the Gun (1992)

Win Them All (1992)

Angel of Vengeance (1993)

Angel Terminators II (1993)

Ghost's Love (1993)

Lethal Panther (1993)

Love to Kill (1993)

Project S (1993) (cameo)

Serious Shock! Yes Madam! (1993)

Ultracop 2000 (1993)

Xing Qi Gong Zhi Tan Bi (1993)

Deadly Target (1994)

His Way, Her Way, Their Ways! (1994)

Once Upon a Time in Manila (1994)

Pintsik (1994)

1/3 Lover (1995)

Drugs Fighters (1995)

Emergency Call '95 (1995) (cameo)

Power Connection (1995)

Guardian Angel (1996)

Challenge (1997)

Super Cops (1997)

Tapang Sa Tapang (1997)

Tiger Angels (1997)

Vengeance Is Mine (1997)

Gold Rush (1998)[1]

The Golden Nightmare (1998)

Leopard Hunting (1998)

To Kiss is Fatal (1998)

Digital Warriors (1999)

Double Sin (1999)

It Takes a Thief (1999)[2]

Legendary Amazons (2011)

This info is from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yukari_Oshima

Personally, I think she's a fantastic martial artist, a good actress, and hot in tough girl kind of way. I look forward to reading tidbits from other fans and hopefully seeing some cool pictures as well.

• Like 2

Instant Noodles,

Outlaw Brothers is good, but not great. Maybe I hyped it up too much in my own head but when I finally got a chance to watch it was a bit disappointing in the action department but still worth a watch. The senseless animal cruelty in the film makes it less of an enjoyable viewing.

You must see Book of Heroes. Everyone should.

Even though she is not the main star her few action scenes in Millionaire's Express alone are worth watching, but the movie itself is still really good. I could post a link to one of her all too brief fight scenes but why spoil it?

Iron Angels is a great one and I was a little disappointed with Burning Ambition.

I recently watched Angel of Vengeance and Punch to Revenge which both were a little trashy but definitely worth the watch.

Oh and you can't forget Godfathers Daughter Mafia Blues. Those are a few to start with at least.

How the hell did I miss her cameo in Project S? Or perhaps I don't remember it. It's been sometime since I've seen that one.

Speaking of Punch to Revenge, has this ever had a release on DVD? I have a copy from a VCD which is kinda bootleg with some very annoying skips and cuts.

I had wanted to see Outlaw Brothers forever and never found the film anywhere. However, when she talked about it in the interview and I heard what happened to the chickens - never wanted to see it. Just the animal lover in me. Not attracted to films where no one has regard for the animals being used in the making of the film.

Laura

Amen sistah. Even though the HKL DVD is cut for some of the animal violence there's enough left in there to hamper your enjoyment of the movie. It's also not the greatest movie either so you're not missing out on any life experience not watching it. There's way too many movies where you have to deal with this kind of thing unfortunately.

P.S classic pic wildzerouk

Probably my favourite modern action actress... Yeah, Outlaw Brothers is overrated, the action only really kicks off at the ending, although that is a great scene. My favourite scenes of hers are her intro in Book of Heroes and the car park fight in Burning Ambition. Who's going to start a Moon Lee thread?

Kung Fu Bob.....

your short bio of Oshima neglects to mention when she arrived in HK, she started learning a bit of Hung Gar from ex-pat Hung Gar si-fu, and first westerner to get HKSA licence, Mark Houghton. That's why she does the Hung finger stuff in Outlaw Brothers...

Always enjoyed Osh's fliks....even the rubbish Fillipino actioners were always good for a laugh....never forget the rubbish wired (??) gunplay in the masterpiece Lethal Panther 2 or the terrible "sci-fi" of Ultracop 2000

They dont make 'em like that anymore...

• Administrator
Kung Fu Bob.....

your short bio of Oshima neglects to mention when she arrived in HK, she started learning a bit of Hung Gar from ex-pat Hung Gar si-fu, and first westerner to get HKSA licence, Mark Houghton. That's why she does the Hung finger stuff in Outlaw Brothers...

Hey popsjnr, I DID NOT write that bio. I copied (and linked it) from Wiki. Credit where credit is due. :angel:

Interesting info. I did not know that. This is exactly the kind of stuff I hoped people would share on this thread. Very cool. :bigsmile:

Always enjoyed Osh's fliks....even the rubbish Fillipino actioners were always good for a laugh....never forget the rubbish wired (??) gunplay in the masterpiece Lethal Panther 2 or the terrible "sci-fi" of Ultracop 2000

They dont make 'em like that anymore...

Same here. Those trashy flicks were good filler on a Saturday afternoon. For the most part they had retched production values, acting, made-up-as-they-went scripts... then suddenly, you get some fantastic action popping up out of nowhere. :nerd:

I have to agree with the post earlier about Oshima shining in MILLIONAIRE'S EXPRESS. I wish Sammo had featured her in one of his films as the lead. He really knew just what to do with female fighters.

Although OUTLAW BROTHERS isn't fantastic, it does have some truly worthy action and is pretty entertaining. Before the HKL's DVD I saw this on VHS and yes, the chicken scene was even worse. I hate animal cruelty, but I realize that things are viewed differently in some countries. As far as the stuff in the past- what's done is done. So I watch, though cringing, and hope (against hope) that this kind of thing stops.

IMHO BURNING AMBITION is one of those totally looked over films. Yeah, Oshima is cool in it. But the movie itself is underrated. I haven't seen it in years, but I think this is the one where at one point in a scene set at a carnival Jeffrey Falcon jumps on a stage. He mocks the Chinese people's kung fu and whips out some awesome monkey style moves... before learning... that he really shouldn't have done that. LOL :xd: Am I right? Was this scene from BURNING AMBITION, or am I confusing it with another Frankie Chan film?

KFB, you're right, that is a scene from Burning Ambition and it is a great film overall, really needs remastering. Kara Hui is great in it also.

• Administrator
Surely this should be a modern martial arts section?

Yup, you're right. My mistake. :crossedlips:

But what do you have to say about Miss Oshima Blue Skies? :smile: Let's hear what you think of her.

KFB, you're right, that is a scene from Burning Ambition and it is a great film overall, really needs remastering. Kara Hui is great in it also.

Thanks for the verification on that scene. I agree, where's the remastered DVD of this little gem?

Surely this should be a modern martial arts section?

yes and no..

I will give Burning Ambition another shot this week. I'll watch that and Guardian Angel back to back.

yes and no..

Given she is a martial arts actress first and foremost I think that overrides her nationality. Which by the way the various forums for cinema from various countries which was really created for non-martial arts cinema:nerd:

Yup, you're right. My mistake. :crossedlips:

But what do you have to say about Miss Oshima Blue Skies? :smile: Let's hear what you think of her.

I haven't seen nearly as many of her films as I would like, although I have a few to catch up on, but she is really fantastic.:xd: I think like most I would have loved the see her given more starring roles. Hong Kong cinema could really use someone as talented as she was in her heyday today !

I think I've only seen six of her films millionaires express, outlaw brothers, kickboxer's tears, beauty investigator, avenging quartet and the story of Ricky. While I still have godfathers daughters Mafia blues, close escape, iron Angels, guardian angel, kung fu wonder child still to watch:tongue:

This is a drawing I done a while back dedicated to the endfight from Iron Angels. I really love that fight so I thought it would be interesting to try to draw sequences from it. It's not one of my best works but I thought you guys might want to see it. I remember watching the fight on a video copy on dvd and would pause it for a scene and draw it as I had no ref pics to draw from! Let me know what you guys think. I've drawn Yukari afew times. Maybe I'll post another drawing if you want to see it later.

post-1020-144191890567_thumb.jpg

Thanks for posting that, yeah it would be quite hard to do by pausing a film. I don't think I've drawn or painted anything for years, last time I tried I had lost whatever skill I once had.

burning ambition is awesome guardian angel is a turd with hardly any osh!

So you were right about Guardian Angel. What dreck! I will fight Phillip Ko for the approximately 90 minutes of my life he wasted.

I take back what I said in this thread about Burning Ambition. It really is a great movie however it has some major disappointments which I won't get into as it would spoil the

movie. I will say the action wasn't spread out evenly enough.