Bushido Man (Takanori Tsujimoto!!!) (2013)

Takuma

You can quote me on this: if Japanese action cinema ever makes a comeback, it's probably thanks to this guy! Takanori Tsujimoto, or Takanori motherfucking Tsujimoto, is working on a new film, Bushido Man!

This guy's been real interesting to follow. He started out with not-so-good but action packed contributions to episode films, like Mamoru Oshii's The Women of Fast Food (2007) and Kill (2008). Then he went to direct the 45 minute Hard Revenge Milly (2008), which was a mixture of gore and martial arts. The follow up, Bloody Battle (2009), is pure diamond: a hard boiled and ultra violent cyber punk thriller with some of the best action Japanese cinema has produced in decades! In 2011, Tsujimoto released Red Tears, a vampire actioner starring Yasuaki Kurata (the trailer seems a bit disappointing, but I'll need to see the film.

Next up is Bushido Man (Summer 2012), choreographed by Bloody Battle choreographer Kensuke Sonomura and starring Mitsuki Koga (also from Hard Revenge Milly).

Twitter: http://twitter.com/BUSHIDOMAN

Site: http://bushidoman.tumblr.com/

tumblr_lxeyi4uhOb1r9daa6.jpg

via マ-ク

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's have a brief look at some of Tsujimoto's earlier works

Two Guns (2007). An episode in the Mamoru Oshii omnibus movie Shin onna tachiguishi retsuden. Miki Mizuno as a western heroine. Quite poor all around, to be honest.

tsuj1.jpgtsuj2.jpg

Kiriko (2008). This is the opening episode in yet another Mamoru Oshii omnibus movie, Kill. A female assassin goes against her boss. Dull story and characters, but plenty of katana action. The final fight is quite good. Miki Mizuno and Ayaka Morita star.

tsuj3.jpgtsuj4.jpg

Hard Revenge Milly (45 min) (2008). Ultra violent revenge/splatter/martial arts film, once again starring Mizuno. Some promising action, but the film's strength is the excellent performance by Mizuno.

tsuj5.jpgtsuj6.jpg

Hard Revenge Milly: Bloody Battle (45 min) (2009). Sequel. Ultra-stylish, ultra-violent, with superb action choreography, strong score and stylish cyber-punk world. One of the best Japanese action films in decades.

tsuj7.jpgtsuj8.jpg

Red Tears: Monster Killer (2011). Vampire/splatter/martial arts actioner with Yasuaki Kurata. 2011 festival premiere, 2012 theatrical opening.

tsuj9.jpg

mitsubushi.jpg

Although shot in digital and probably not gonna end up looking as even good as Bloody Battle, the casting seems ace. These guys are not pretty boy pop stars (execept Mistuko Koga, who is "the craziest, sexiest man alive") like the cast in most Japanese action movies these days, but action stars, martial artists and ex-stuntmen. And the plot, Mitsuki Koga vs. 7 martial arts masters, sounds charmingly old school and simple, too.

Mitsuki Koga: Seiji Chiba regular and Milly's "Jack"

Masanori Mimoto: Alien vs. Ninja lead and Chiba regular

Yoshiyuki Yamaguchi: katana villain in Kiriko

I wish Kazuki Tsujimoto would be announced next!

Just for the fun of it, here's a few clips from Seiji Chiba's Evil Ninja, featuring Bushido Man cast

Mitsuki Koga beating ninja ass:

e-ia7mKwy-g

Masanori Mimoto (the guy without ponytail) fighting a guy with ponytail:

eKrXagewSFI

kensuke.jpg

I think the main cast is now complete (as the trailer refers to seven warriors). While the looks very low budget and may have a nasty digital shade to it, the reason why I'm so exited about Bushido Man is the cast. These days Japan produces a very limited number of action movies, and most of them star idols and other pretty girls/boys who have no prior experience in making action films. Bushido Man on the other hand features nothing but stuntmen, martial arts actors, action choreographers and yakuza film and b-movie stars. Not a single idol or teenage girl to be found!

A quick look at the cast:

Mitsuki Koga (Main Character): Martial artist and martial arts actor (Hard Revenge Milly 1&2, Evil Ninja, Kunoichi)

vs.

Masanori Mimoto (Knife Master): stuntman and martial arts actor (Alien vs. Ninja, Evil Ninja, Kunoichi)

Yoshiyuki Yamaguchi (Martial Arts Master): yakuza film regular (Dead or Alive, Gozu, Graveyard of Honor)

Kentaro Shimazu (Gun Master): b-film star (Tokyo Gore Police, The Machine Girl, Alien vs. Ninja)

Kazuki Tsujimoto (Blind Samurai): stuntman, action choreographer and martial arts actor (Hard Revenge Milly: Bloody Battle, Kill, United Red Army)

Masaki Suzumura (Nunchuku Master): action choreographer (The Machine Girl, Zombie Ass)

Naohiro Kawamoto (Bojutsu Master): action director and stuntman (Alien vs. Ninja, Shinobi: Heart Under Blade)

Kensuke Somomura (Kung Fu Master): action director (Hard Revenge Milly: Bloody Battle, Alien vs. Ninja, Bushido Man)

And the crew

Takanori Tsujimoto (Director): action, martial arts and violence addict (Hard Revenge Milly 1&2, Red Tears, Kill)

Kensuke Sonomura (action director): rising talent (Hard Revenge Milly 1&2, Kunoichi)

No date yet. Was supposed to be coming out "Summer 2012", but clearly that isn't gonna happen. The new posters now state "2012"...

ShaOW!linDude

I'm kind of psyched for this. It's good to see some Japanese stunt performers and MA's amassing their talents for something like this.

Thanks for listing those involved, Takuma. I like what I see listed. If they're doing anything similar to those clips you posted, this should turn out to be a cool film. I like the premise, it reminds me a little bit of Heroes From The East.

What films are those clips to btw?

What films are those clips to btw?

Just for the fun of it, here's a few clips from Seiji Chiba's Evil Ninja, featuring Bushido Man cast

The "Kiriko" short mentionned in one of the first posts looks nice. What is the rest of that "Kill" movie like ?

Uneven. Kenta Fukasaku's been quite interesting the last few years, but his b/w Kodomo zamurai is a nerve wrecking "homage" to samurai movies, this time set in modern day with kids in starring roles.

Minoru Tahara's Zan-Gun is a nonsensical scifi-action. Has a few entertaining moments but is instantly forgettable.

Mamoru Oshii's Assault Girl 2 is the best of the bunch - very low budget, but excepectedly atmospheric scifi adaption of Lucifer vs. Michael, with Rinko Kikuchi and Yoko Fujita. No action to wrote home about, though. The Japanese Assault Girls LE BD also features this as an extra (and Assault Girl 1), I don't know about the US release.

uyldEBZ5Byk

Oh, and I completely missed the Bushido Man blog before:

http://blog.livedoor.jp/t3aa/archives/cat_50036027.html

I think it's safe to say this isn't coming out in 2012. It's still in post production, with today's blog post referring to color correction. If I remember correctly, there was a bit of additional shooting done in August or around that time, too.

Though it may benefit the film (purposefully?) that it doesn't come out the same year with The Raid.

Trailer!

http://bushidoman.tumblr.com/post/37236983591

A bit lame visual look, but I think this is going to be a fun movie. The cast couldn't be better, and I love the "Eat and Fight" thing.

Random note 1: Do you spot Mark Walcow in the trailer?

Random note 2: Yoshihiro Nishimura was praising this as better than The Raid in his blog, though his stand could be considered be a bit biased...

ShaOW!linDude

Cool beans! Hope you manage to go see it. I'm interested to hear about the action and fight choreography in this.

Watched in Yubari. Will write more when I have the time, but here's in very brief:

Koga wanders around Japan challenging masters of different martial arts. Kung Fu, Katana, Knife, Nunchaku, Stick and so on. Very little storyline, though fun pilgrim theme, and poor production values, but two thirds of the film is fighting. Begins like an 80's Hong Kong film, with some of the best hand-to-hand fighting ever seen in Japanese film. Koga vs. Kensuke Sonomura match is insane! Towards the end humor and metaphysics hurt the film a bit, and the ending throws away any realims and goes for completely nuts (again 80's Hong Kong style) fight circus that can be quite fun in its own right. Tak Sakaguchi would better pull some serious tricks from his back pocket, as right now Koga is clearly the action man no. 1 in Japan.

bBushi1_zps6b9646e8.jpg

bBushi3_zpseb0895a2.jpg

bBushi2_zpsee99fcbe.jpg

(screencaps from the trailer)

odioustrident

Can't think of any upcoming titles besides this and Special Identity that are genuinely exciting on the choreography front.

Archived