Will Jet Li ever make good action films again?

DiP

So is this a cleverly disguised Jet Li is a douche and overrated thread??? Is Donnie Yen next to be bad mouthed and disgusted???

I dont think jet is a douche i think hes just very introverted which can come across as being an asshole to people. As far as his career goes im a big fan but fight wise he only really fully showcased his true skills in a handful of movies which is more the fault of the guys who were choreographing him.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Look opium

this is supposedly a free forum right?.....where people can use their freedom of speech both to praise or decry something right???....no one is disrespecting Jet Li....

I may not like him as a person but the only one name calling is you!

If you like Jet Li and his movies great....not everyone does....or also as this thread shows people are seeing that he uses doubles-can you dispute that???

Killer meteor. ...As for trying to diss me...in England unless you do it to someone's face your just a pussy...

I have sorted out my problem with Logan, and he graciously told me to contact him when I visit HK next year. I am not taking shots at anyone...must be you guys time of the month....PMT!!!

as for hating Donnie....no I met him in 1990 and he was a very cool guy...and his films are the only must watch movies out of HK nowadays....

instant noodles

When comes to stunt-doubles why Jet Li is target? Truckload of people at Shaws used stunt doubles including biggest stars but they are never critiziced for that.

And there is nothing wrong in that, if guy is making big money in box office and under contract to studio for xxx more films as studio boss I would tell to star you do not do dangerous stuff even if he would want.

One Armed Boxer

Personally, I have no problem with Li's output of the last 5 years, for the exact same reason as a few other people here have mentioned - back in 2006 he said he was going to step down from making purely martial arts based movies. I respect the guy for sticking to his decision, Jackie Chan went through a phase of saying he was going to step behind the camera and give the limelight to the younger generation about 10 years ago, he managed to stick to that statement for about 24 hours.

To be honest I find it hard to dis-respect anyone who worked in the Hong Kong action movie scene throughout it's heyday...a 24 hour shooting day was pretty common place, they didn't exactly have luxurious trailers to go back to like Hollywood stars do after just a couple of hours of shooting, and the humid conditions of Hong Kong don't exactly lend themselves to staying energised and focused.

It's no wonder when most of these stars headed to Hollywood while themselves where heading towards middle age, they must have felt like they hit the jackpot. Less working hours, cushy working conditions, more money, and audience acceptance must have seemed like a walk in the park compared to what they'd just spent the last 20+ years of their lives doing. Their pain was our gain, so now they can take it easy.

Li made plenty of good movies, and performed enough in all of them from an action stand point to cement his place as a legend of HK action cinema. I don't think it can really be disputed that he doesn't have the same creative drive as the likes of Chan & Yen, to that end he is definitely more of an actor and a performer than he ever was a choreographer or storyteller, but then I think the same could be said, even if it's to a slightly lesser degree, of Yuen Biao.

Killer Meteor

Killer meteor. ...As for trying to diss me...in England unless you do it to someone's face your just a pussy...

I....

By that logic, so are you...since you're clearing dissing Li but not to his face.

And let's be honest, better to be a pussy than a dick. Women's anatomy is so much nicer :)

One Armed Boxer
And let's be honest, better to be a pussy than a dick. Women's anatomy is so much nicer

Killer Meteor can you please post a picture of yourself.....it's been a while.:tongue:

No I told Jet Li I didnt like him, when he blanked me, I tried to be polite and spoke Mandarin...but he didnt respond. I did say it in English but I wanted to keep my job...at the time.

So there is a difference...eh??

Your dissing me for daring to point out Jet Li uses doubles...well to be honest I aint shaking in my boots!! If your ever in London let me know and you can diss me face to face...until then I'll say what I want...cheers!

Killer Meteor

Your dissing me for daring to point out Jet Li uses doubles...!

Nope, I have no beef with that. I just think its funny you seem to always have negative commentary on folks based on how they may have behaved at a certain moment.

Hey guys,

Let's keep the dissing to a minimum or one of the mods will end up locking the thread

Anyway, here's my opinion. Jet Li is showing his signs of aging so he may have an audience to think about, but at the same time, Li's going to get to a point, like Jackie Chan, that he can't do this forever. As a result, he may either want to take time off for his family or do non-action roles like OCEAN HEAVEN. I personally feel that Li had had his share of good action film and yes there may have been a few bad eggs, but for the most part, he has had an stellar action career. If one is a true fan of his, they will support him no matter what.

Let me just say, for the record, that I love Jet Li. I think his movie output speaks for itself. Granted, I've harped on a bit about him using doubles, but that's because I was obviously naive to the fact he does. It shocked me.

I'm not here to hate Jet Li at all. I don't particularly care whether he's a dick to his "bodyguards" or not. That's his issue. My interest was in learning more about doubling in kung fu cinema and, thanks to this thread, I've been a little more enlightened. Does that mean I'll never watch a Jet Li film again? On the contrary, I plan to watch "Fist of Legend" tonight.

OpiumKungFuCracker

The recent Jet Li movie that I actually had fun watching was probably Forbidden Kingdom..

@popsjnr, I don't think I ever insulted you in anyway and if I came off that way, I was being sarcastic so my bad... I'm not trying to get personal here...

I never said Jet Li was the greatest thing since slice bread, he has made some stinkers and I mention Cradle 2 The Grave...

instant noodles

I never said Jet Li was the greatest thing since slice bread, he has made some stinkers and I mention Cradle 2 The Grave...

He is not but...for the record he made lot better movies between 1st shaolin temple and contract killer than jackie chan did...and he never made complete garbage unlike jackie so I know I am on minority but purely in cinema jet li is better than jackie..

OpiumKungFuCracker
He is not but...for the record he made lot better movies between 1st shaolin temple and contract killer than jackie chan did...and he never made complete garbage unlike jackie so I know I am on minority but purely in cinema jet li is better than jackie..

Yeah, I agree.. Jet Li is a great dramatic actor... Warlords showcase his acting skills and Ocean heaven... Heck I thought he had range in Kiss Of The Dragon but to only have the movie to a screeching halt once Bridget Fonda comes into play....

Yo Opium I dont want no beef with you or Killer meteor....

That said my point about Li's doubling is nothing to do with stunts....I know Li isnt a stuntman or an acrobat....but he was 7 times all China wu-shu champ, so it doesnt impress me when Li is doubled for things like sidekicks??? When most beginners at martial arts studios can usually do a half decent sidey after one lesson...

If Li's heart isnt in it anymore....I'd rather see him do more Warlords style stuff...

instant noodles
Yeah, I agree.. Jet Li is a great dramatic actor... Warlords showcase his acting skills and Ocean heaven... Heck I thought he had range in Kiss Of The Dragon but to only have the movie to a screeching halt once Bridget Fonda comes into play....

Kiss of the dragon is great...there is not that much fight but I think jet gave good acting performance..good thing totally not without kicks we are as albino fighter in the semi-end.

instant noodles
This I'll certainly disagree with. Have you seen "Dr. Wai?"

Ok, I admit that is unseen I have to check it out....That is only movie during era I mentioned...I did not like legend of red dragon either that much but it was still OK.

KIDS FROM SHAOLIN was utter tripe.

I don't think it's as bad as some people say it is, but it is a little awkward and disjointed.

instant noodles
I don't think it's as bad as some people say it is, but it is a little awkward and disjointed.

Swordplay+fu very good... some parts irrating...it still has great fights but I think weakest of series.

End group fight damn fine so if you like swords and not hate jet it`s worth checking out.

kingofkungfu2002
KIDS FROM SHAOLIN was utter tripe.

It was saved by the end fight scene though, which is pretty good smileynunchakus.gif

Yeah sad that Jackie Chan has not made one decent Hollywood movie compared to like John Woo??? John Woo's American efforts don't get enough credit and kind of under the radar in terms of good or even great quality action films.. Just look at these list of films??

Broken Arrow

Hard Target

Face-Off

Windtalkers

MI2

PayCheck

Not once have I sat through a John Woo film in a theater and thought it was boring... Those were some really good theater going experience... Is he going to make more films in the U.S or what's next for Woo.. Sorry for hijacking this thread into another Woo factor, lol...

yes I was on about Jackie Chan not making a single comment about John Woo. I also like all of his Hollywood productions with the exception of wind talkers and paycheck , which while Bay weren't bad in any sense, though weren't really very good for me. I'd certainly kill for a Hollywood action movie to live up to John woo's Hollywood standards outside of those two movies!

and he never made complete garbage unlike jackie

Jet Li has definitely made some stinkers, not least cradle to the grave but there's at least another couple I can't think of the titles right now

This is a very lively thread and because of it I just ordered Dragon Dynasty's: The Enforcer. It was one of my favorites as a kid. And Jet Li has made a few bad films like Meltdown and am I the only one on here who didn't like Warlords?

Killer Meteor
This is a very lively thread and because of it I just ordered Dragon Dynasty's: The Enforcer. It was one of my favorites as a kid. And Jet Li has made a few bad films like Meltdown and am I the only one on here who didn't like Warlords?

You see, I quite liked Meltdown - that's High Risk right? It's one cheaky movie!

Archived