What ELSE (other than KUNG FU) has everyone been watching?

Guest kenichiku

Yes some are fun, I rarely watch the films from that genre now. There was a time when I really into horror movies.

Yeah me too. Around the time I was 13 to maybe 15 or 16, I heavily was watching horror films, usually the 80's slasher films or the occasional werewolf movie (no matter how cheesy some were).

This will sound really cheesy, but my first taste of horror and martial arts combined was actually in the sequel Night of the Demons 2, where one of the characters was a martial artist and I remember one scene where he literally spin-kicked a demon's head off.

Mistaken (Franklin Correa, 2015) - Correa's latest film that relies more on its plot than its action (mostly gunfire, but has two short fight scenes in which Correa uses Ninjitsu and MMA), so it's not really a martial arts film but a mystery film. I will be posting my review on my other film blog later today.

DragonClaws
I saw this on a midnight film festival about 5 or 6 years ago, and absolutely loved it. The kind of movie that keeps you awake at 5am!

I was pretty drunk at the time and it was late because I'd been to see a Led Zeppelin tribute band that night. It was a fun post night out film.

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Whiplash (2014) I can see why JK Simmons won the Oscar for this, but boy was it rough going.

And I've seen Captain America The Winter Soldier many, many times (I adored the source material as it was being published) and liked the tweaks. I wished for a lot more from Sebastian Stan who has been perfectly cast as Bucky / WS (he even looks like Bucky.) It's the one Marvel film I feel completely immersed in. Characters feel like they're in character, etc. and the acting is good across the board. Toby Jones Zola was a lot of fun too.

• Like 1

Secret Executioner

Tower Of London (USA, 1962)

In the midst of all their Poe adaptations, the Corman brothers (producer Gene and director Roger) and writer Leo Gordon gave their audience a bit of fresh air with a take on William Shakespeare's "History" itself basedon the life of the infamous Richard of Gloucester AKA King Richard III. The movie actually mixes history (explaining how Richard murdered many - including close relatives - to gain the throne) and supernatural (the people who died because of him returning to haunt Richard as ghostly visions), which makes it seem similar to Macbeth (a play that was considered for adaptation by Gene Corman and writer Leo Gordon).

While the sets are okay and the tone frankly dark (the movie has torture, murders and deals with topics such as betrayal between brothers and madness - kudos to the black and white, which makes the movie look even greater and more sinister), the one thing that is to be enjoyed here is the main character. Richard is indeed played by none other than Vincent Price, and this could be one of his finest performances with a great delivery of lines and a visually impressive performance (Richard has an issue with his left arm and a crooked back). I figured the character would be sinister and kinda creepy (we're talking of a guy famous for murdering his young nephews after all...), but it's really a rather moving figure as the rotten bastard becomes more and more tragic and even pathetic as madness slowly devours his mind and makes him a weak figure who acts foolishly (and in hazardous ways) in his blindness.

I also enjoyed Michael Pate as Sir Ratcliffe, Richard's "henchman". The guy looks and acts the part, it's clearly someone you'd never have following you cause his face is that of a guy who would stab you in the back anytime he can.

Basically, it's a nice film. Price here really shines and I wish there were more referrences to the original play by Shakespeare (can you imagine Price saying some of the classic lines from the original play ? Would have been terrific). Also, I couldn't help but wonder about the influence this film had on the first episode of the British series Black Adder, seeing the title character kills Richard III and is haunted by his ghost only he can see (which causes him to act crazy) - maybe it was a coincidence, but I just couldn't help thinking of it.

masterofoneinchpunch
Tower Of London (USA, 1962)

... none other than Vincent Price, and this could be one of his finest performances with a great delivery of lines ...

What movies would you include as Price's top performances? I'm a pretty big fan and I've found some great performances both inside and out of horror from him. I enjoyed his performance in this film more than pretty much anything else in it.

My favorite Richard III film was the 1995 release directed by Richard Loncraine which I overall prefer to the Laurence Olivier version (though I gave both releases 8/10 as I check them on my IMDB ratings.)

Secret Executioner

Yeah, Price's performance is pretty much the best part of the movie (as I've said).

I enjoyed his performance as a vampire in The Monster Club - he seems to be having a lot of fun here. BTW, is it bad that I prefer the scenes in the club with Vincent Price and his guest (and all the colorful monsters dancing to some pop music from the time) over the stories Price's character narrates ? It's a fun anthology flick nonetheless.

I must say I'm not really that familiar with Price's movies, but I quite like the Dr. Phibes movies. He's kinda creepy in those but I find the way he talks - through an audio output in his neck and he must be plugged in on some speaker to be heard - very creative. Also, the guy is nuts, and the murders are very creative in both films. I found the first one slightly better, it seems a bit darker than the sequel.

masterofoneinchpunch
Yeah, Price's performance is pretty much the best part of the movie (as I've said).

I enjoyed his performance as a vampire in The Monster Club - he seems to be having a lot of fun here. BTW, is it bad that I prefer the scenes in the club with Vincent Price and his guest (and all the colorful monsters dancing to some pop music from the time) over the stories Price's character narrates ? ...

I must say I'm not really that familiar with Price's movies, but I quite like the Dr. Phibes movies. He's kinda creepy in those but I find the way he talks - through an audio output in his neck and he must be plugged in on some speaker to be heard - very creative. ...

Yes it is OK.

I'm a fan of both Dr. Phibes films.

Some of my favorite performances:

horror:

House of Wax (1953: André De Toth): this film stereotyped Price into the horror genre. Look at his output before it. While there was horror, there was a lot more mix into so many different genres.

Theater of Blood (1973: Douglas Hickox)

The Comedy of Terrors (1963: Jacques Tourneur)

The Raven (1963: Roger Corman)

... there's a lot more like the first Fly, more Roger Corman, The Tingler

non-horror: These were among Price's favorite performances of himself.

Laura (1944: Otto Preminger)

The Baron of Arizona (1950: Samuel Fuller)

His Kind of Woman (1951: John Farrow): Could be a bigger ham? This time he is supposed to be.

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

I must say I'm not really that familiar with Price's movies, but I quite like the Dr. Phibes movies. He's kinda creepy in those but I find the way he talks - through an audio output in his neck and he must be plugged in on some speaker to be heard - very creative. Also, the guy is nuts, and the murders are very creative in both films. I found the first one slightly better, it seems a bit darker than the sequel.

Ah ha! Something Dario Argento stole for Varelli in Inferno. I haven't seen Dr. Phibes in eons so yhanks for posting that. I liked Vincent Price I am considering eventually picking up Mad house. Is that any good?

Secret Executioner
Yes it is OK.

I'm a fan of both Dr. Phibes films.

Some of my favorite performances:

horror:

House of Wax (1953: André De Toth): this film stereotyped Price into the horror genre. Look at his output before it. While there was horror, there was a lot more mix into so many different genres.

Theater of Blood (1973: Douglas Hickox)

The Comedy of Terrors (1963: Jacques Tourneur)

The Raven (1963: Roger Corman)

... there's a lot more like the first Fly, more Roger Corman, The Tingler

non-horror: These were among Price's favorite performances of himself.

Laura (1944: Otto Preminger)

The Baron of Arizona (1950: Samuel Fuller)

His Kind of Woman (1951: John Farrow): Could be a bigger ham? This time he is supposed to be.

I have House Of Wax, and I think I can find some of the other films you mentionned easily. :nerd:

masterofoneinchpunch
Ah ha! Something Dario Argento stole for Varelli in Inferno. I haven't seen Dr. Phibes in eons so yhanks for posting that. I liked Vincent Price I am considering eventually picking up Mad house. Is that any good?

I thought Mad House was decent, but with a different director (and script) could have been so much better. I'm also a fan of Peter Cushing too. The movie has it's moments and references to older Price films (it literally shows them) but it is made kind of clunky. I gave it 6/10 at the time of watching it and going through some of the reviews have brought back my feelings toward it. So probably for Price fans it is a worth watch, others can probably skip it.

Let's Be Cops - starring New Girl's Jake Johnson and Damon Wayans Jr. as a loser and his video game developer roommate who mistake a masquerade party for a costume party and dress as cops. People soon think they are real cops and they decide to go for the ride, until the Albanian mob want them dead. Really funny at times with the expected goofball humor. The highlight is seeing Wayans scream like his father when an unexpected robber at a hardware store is apparently "stopped" by him.

Whiplash - I loved this movie, which seems like a battle of wits between Miles Teller's aspiring jazz drummer and JK Simmons' hard nosed, foul mouthed instructor. Simmons truly owned this movie...some of the best lines were delivered by him, but don't count Teller out. He gave a pretty good performance and even did some frenetic drummer to the point of cutting up his hands. As someone on here said, it was definitely a "kung fu movie" with drums.

Lady Jin Szu-Yi
I thought Mad House was decent, but with a different director (and script) could have been so much better. I'm also a fan of Peter Cushing too. The movie has it's moments and references to older Price films (it literally shows them) but it is made kind of clunky. I gave it 6/10 at the time of watching it and going through some of the reviews have brought back my feelings toward it. So probably for Price fans it is a worth watch, others can probably skip it.

Thanks for your thoughts, masterofoneinchpunch. Still on the fence about this one.

masterofoneinchpunch

The Three Stooges (2012: Bobby Farrelly, Peter Farrelly) **½/****

Rewatching this for the second time what I wrote in 2012 is still appropriate for my feelings of the film. I added and made modifications to my previous review below. The first time I saw this it was in the theater to an almost empty crowd in the biggest screen in the theater, this last time was on DVD.

The actors who portray the Three Stooges do quite a good job. They look like the Stooges, they sound like the Stooges and they act like the Stooges or at least a close enough facsimile. While it is not unusual to have many actors linked to a film before it comes out, this one has had some big, yet strange names like Sean Penn and Jim Carrey. Ultimately the spirit of the Stooges was served well with the actors they picked. However, the film could have used a better plot.

The idea of interlinking three episodes into the narrative akin to their more famous shorts was appropriate. The whole film was like a mixture of an Animaniacs sketch of Good Idea, Bad Idea. Larry David as a nun – that was funny and disturbing, using the cast of Jersey Shore … well that was OK but I thought it would have been better without them and it is a topical gag that will be completely unfunny in a few years. I thought taking the structure from both The Blues Brothers and Fletch were not inspired ideas.

There were several sketches that I found quite hilarious including the early on casting of the young Stooges, the worst use of ice cream to a party gone wrong. Most of them were hybrid mixes of Stooges jokes and Farrelly’s own sense of humor. There were plenty of gags and pokes and hammer hits straight from the old material, some of which get tiring after awhile and some of them are painfully funny. If there was a better plot and if more original material was used I think this could have been a very funny comedy.

I like, but not love the earlier Stooges. They were at their best after Ted Healy and before Shemp (I like Shemp more than the following two replacements after his death though) during their early Columbia years when they were at their most anarchist and most healthy. But they repeated so much of their material, even early on, that if you are new to the Stooges, you probably will enjoy them more if you do not watch them in chronological order or too many in a row.

As usual with many comedies, stick around during the credits for singing and additional comedy scenes. It did not happen right when the credits started so everybody was out of the theater except for me (I was thinking there was going to be an additional scene after the credits, but there was none).

Useless info from my old review: I saw a second version of the Dark Shadows trailer. I’m really looking forward to that film which means I’ll probably be annoyed after watching it.

This topical joke surprisingly still works several years later:

Lydia: Those 3 idiots are here!

Mac: The Kardashian sisters?

Collateral - Interesting action/suspense film with Tom Cruise playing against type and Jamie Foxx doing the same (I don't think Foxx had quite established himself as a dramatic actor when he did this). I think it worked quite well until the last couple of of reels, when the script ventures too far into the realm of coincidence territory and completely jettisons the detective/FBI subplot, which felt completely unrealistic to me. Still, it was an entertaining ride.

Prehistoric Women (1967) - This cheapie was made in order to offset the costs of One Million Years B.C. by reusing some of the same costumes and sets. Unfortunately, despite a more polished look than many of the "female society" films made in the 1950s, it ultimately comes across as a cut-rate Tarzan adventure, but with nothing to excite. The framing "story" is particularly bizarre and there's not enough action to make things all that interesting. It's weird for me to say this, but it needed to be made 3 or 4 years after so that it could be more exploitive than its forebears, because its rather demure when you get right down to it. Stick to the first and third entries of Hammer's Stone Age "quadrilogy" instead.

The Big Wedding - This was a funny movie about a divorced couple who are forced to once again play the happy married couple for their adopted son when the son's ultraconservative biological mother comes for the son's wedding. Robert DeNiro and Diane Keaton were great in the film as the parents. Topher Grace played the virginal son who gets eyes for his adopted brother's half-sister. Katherine Heigl is the ticked off daughter whose marriage is on the rocks and takes it out on anyone in her path. Ben Barnes and Amanda Seyfried are the couple. Susan Sarandon as Keaton's best friend who for the past eight years was DeNiro's girlfriend. Robin Williams is funny as the priest in his few scenes. I really liked this film.

Secret Executioner

Literally spent the afternoon at the theater.

Hill Of Freedom (South Korea, 2014)

The latest effort by Korean director Hong Sang-soo deals with a Japanese guy who comes to Korea to visit a irl who means a lot to him. During his stay, he writes a bunch of letters and gets them delivered to her since they couldn't meet. However, the woman trips in the stairs after being given said letters and all the letters are scattered, so her reading of them doesn't reflect the chronology of the events.

The narrative, as the summary suggests, is very deconstructed, but it shows a brilliant part of Hong Sang-soo's film making: the little scenes that make up a movie of his can be put in a random order. The Day He Arrives seemed to start going backwards about halfway thru (and the movie could play in a loop and make perfect sense since the ending could well lead to what happens in the beginning of the movie) and Our Sunhi seemed at points to show different continuities occuring (with characters acknowledging having heard a recurring musical theme but not remembering where). Here, we have a chronological puzzle with events being referred to and being shown later (like the rescuing of the dog) or even events shown backwards (the lead talks to a man throughout the picture and towards the end, we see him meet this man)

A strange element is that the movie is essentially in English due to the lead character being a non-Korean speaking guy. And it feels a bit strange hearing these Korean people talk English, though there's a good chunk of scenes with dialogue in Korean.

Finally, a funny thing I did while watching the movie was spotting the Hong Sang-soo tropes. Like:

- a character shows up somewhere and meet various people

- the movie taking place in a couple of locations

- an exploration of relations between people

- scenes involving people drinking alcohol (and at least one character getting drunk)

- sentences being repeated several times

Actually, even the summary for the French release (dealing with the Japanese showing up and meeting other characters) feels a lot like a Hong Sang-soo movie and I'd have gone "sounds like a Hong Sang-soo movie" if I hadn't known it was actually one.

Once Upon A Time In America (Italy/USA, 2014)

The last movie directed by Sergio Leone is IMO very similar to Stanley Kubrick's Barry Lyndon: both are underrated masterpieces with extraordinary running times (and they both rank very high among my favorite movies ever). And here, I was treated to the extended version/director's cut of this gangster masterpiece starring Robert De Niro and James Woods and with a really great soundtrack by legendary composer Ennio Morricone.

For those unaware or who didn't remember, the standard version (which I have on DVD and is how I first saw this movie) runs 229 minutes already, but the director's cut has an insane running time of 251 minutes, which makes it the longest movie I've ever seen (topping the standard release).

This version has never before seen parts that were found, restored and re-inserted into the movie based on writings and testimonies by Leone and relatives, and while the picture quality drops a bit for some sequences, the movie overall looks really great on the big screen. I actually find the extra scenes really add to the movie and contribute to developping Noodles more than he initially is - a lot of the deleted scenes have De Niro in them, and they really contribute to developping the secondary plot of the 1960s.

The theater I saw this at has copies of reviews from magazines or websites printed and displayed in the hall, and the OUATIA review was pretty interesting, noting the movie was a very underrated and little talked about film from Leone's carreer and also that it didn't have that very operatic feeling the westerns had.

I must say OUATIA seems much grittier than Leone's westerns: a lot of bloody effects, a couple of harsh rape scenes (though I didn't find them as disturbing as rape scenes from Asian movies), an overall very urban setting (as opposed to the wild West seen in westerns), a lot of scenes set in the dark and/or at night (as opposed to the great sunlight of the westerns), several scenes have fog or smoke, a very crude scene with young kids getting beaten up and a kid getting shot. Yeah, we saw kids get shot in other Leone movies but the death was only hinted at, while in OUATIA you see the bright funny (and apparently younger) member of the gang get shot in the back and you see him collapse and die in the arms of Noodles. That scene is really dark but also immensly powerful, especially since the character had been built up as a very upbeat and lighter kind of guy than his friends.

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Suspiria and The Sect (which really needs a proper release.)

Suspiria - Argento's classic witches at the dance school fairy tale. Jessica Harper is terrific as Suzy Baynon the hapless young American dance student whose enrollment at a famous dance school in Germany nearly spells her doom. There's so much going on with this movie, I sometimes feel like Suzy did when she was cursed with fatigue. Each time I watch I focus on something else: the acting, the cinematography, the set design, the music the fx, etc.

A beautiful psychedelic creep show, boasting a strong lead and a sensory delight throughout (Okay not when the dog bites the blind man's throat.)

Dario, like Lucio Fulci and Michele Soavi, can create a nightmare world where logic does not exist that sucks the viewer right into that nightmare. This is one of the reasons I respect these directors, you cannot escape the worlds they created even after the film ends.

I am looking forward to Synapse Films releases of Suspiria and Tenebre, (my favorite Argento film.)

La Setta (The Sect) I prefer this to Dellamorte Dellamore and The Church. With that out of the way, I happen to dig Satanic cult horror where you see the unnatural manifest. The sect want Kelly Curtis to birth the anti-christ and will do anything and everything to see that done. From possessed wash cloths, to Lovecraftian sacrificial / resurrection rituals to an otherworldly crucifixion, this film grows more unhinged with each new set piece. And Tomas Arana is fantastically scary as the cult's second in command, Damon. I loved the whole Lovecraftian speech when he 'turns the key' during that ritual. Kelly Curtis holds her own as the hapless lead. She's quite likable and even through the curve ball finale (which I like), she made me believe in her character.

Like Dario, Michele could create a single shot to set the scene and suck you into that other worldliness. I think of the full moon reflecting off the plate / mirror during the ritual. It puts you in that space and anchors you there before something horrific unfurls.

It is disappointing this has not received a better release somewhere. I suspect this is due to the use of the Rolling Stones lyrics in the opening scene. I love this movie, it takes a predictable plot and goes into the places between the spaces.

Secret Executioner

On a sidenote, it's the third year in a row that I see a movie with a Morricone score at the theater.

In 2013, I saw The Desert Of The Tartars (twice), a 1976 Italian/French/German co-production directed by Valerio Zurlini and starring essentially Italian actors (though there are a couple of French and some German actors as well) about a young soldier (Jacques Perrin) sent to a fort at the border of the empire where the military forces watch a desert in case the people from the desert would try and attack the empire, though nobody ever saw them really. When there, he wants to leave but ends staying much like all the other people here have done or do as well.

This one is a really beautiful movie that I found very well-done. It's not clear when or where it takes place (if it takes place in any real place and/or time) with a rather slow pacing that matched the passing of time and the years spent waiting fruitlessly in the fort for an invasion that never happens. The locations are also beautiful, especially the fort in the middle of the desert - this place was in Iran but was destroyed some 10 or so years ago.

And in 2014, I saw Sacco & Vanzetti, a 1971 French/Italian movie about the famous 1920s case where two Italian anarchists were accused and sentenced to death for a murder they didn't commit. The movie kinda bugged me cause it's Italian and was shot in Italian - I mean, an element is that the characters are Italian and sometimes don't always understand English, so it's kinda strange the police officers, judge and all talk in Italian (a character who's supposed to be speaking in Italian but doesn't know English is portrayed, and I'm not sure if she spoke gibberish that was supposed to sound like Italian or some kind of dialect like Neapoletan). Nonetheless, the film is really great and a very interesting take on the case, and the performances of Riccardo Cucciolla as Nicola Sacco and Gian Maria Volonte as Bartolomeo Vanzetti are very solid.

Minions1.jpg

The last year, it seems now that the only time I go to the theaters to see a movie, is when my wife and I take our son. The last movie I saw was MINIONS. I have to admit, I'm a big fan of the Minions and the Despicable Me films. Not only has my son been looking forward to the release of this film, but so was I.

It was a solid film, but I think I still prefer the Despicable Me films over this one. I just felt the DM films were funnier overall. I'm thinking Gru had a lot to do with that. We are looking forward to Despicable Me 3.

We are now looking forward in seeing Hotel Transylvania 2 and The Peanuts Movie.

I just saw A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum on Wednesday since my local library was having a free screening of it. Hilarious movie! I really like how the characters interact and how everything comes full-circle at the end. Nice music too.

There are also some memorable quotes:

"Just wait in there! Wait, wait, wait! That's what virgins are supposed to do best!"

I just saw A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum on Wednesday since my local library was having a free screening of it. Hilarious movie! I really like how the characters interact and how everything comes full-circle at the end. Nice music too.

There are also some memorable quotes:

"Just wait in there! Wait, wait, wait! That's what virgins are supposed to do best!"

I had never heard of that movie before. I proceeded to look it up, a 1966 comedy/musical. Judging by the trailer, it does indeed look funny. Good to hear you enjoyed the film.

I had never heard of that movie before. I proceeded to look it up, a 1966 comedy/musical. Judging by the trailer, it does indeed look funny. Good to hear you enjoyed the film.

I hadn't heard of the movie before either, but I like some of the actors in it so I went to go see it. I'm happy I did. I was surprised at how funny the movie was. Some of the jokes had the audience laughing pretty hard. There are some pretty impressive stunts in the movie too.

I hadn't heard of the movie before either, but I like some of the actors in it so I went to go see it. I'm happy I did. I was surprised at how funny the movie was. Some of the jokes had the audience laughing pretty hard. There are some pretty impressive stunts in the movie too.

It's always great when going into a movie you may have either not heard too much about, or really not sure what to expect, and then come out being blown away by it, or at least just really enjoying it. :clappinghands

So much better than regretting wasting 90 minutes (or more) of your life on watching a complete utter mess. :puke

It's always great when going into a movie you may have either not heard too much about, or really not sure what to expect, and then come out being blown away by it, or at least just really enjoying it. :clappinghands

I enjoyed The Fighting Fool even though I knew nothing about it. I didn't love it, but it did introduce me to Meng Yuen Man which lead me to watching one of my favorite kung fu movies, Daggers 8. Being spontaneous is sometimes great, but other times, not so much. i.e. The Master starring Jet Li or Gun of Dragon. But I digress.

So much better than regretting wasting 90 minutes (or more) of your life on watching a complete utter mess. :puke

Fearless Hyena Part 2. What a mess. Any movie you had in mind?