What ELSE (other than KUNG FU) has everyone been watching?

Guest kenichiku

Minor spoilers here.

– Bound (1996)

It's sad that most people only notice the lesbian aspect of Bound. It serves to attract interest, but is actually the weakest part of the film. Gina and Jennifer are indeed smokin' hot, but I want to talk about Joe Pantoliano. His range here is incredible – down right hilarious one minute, scary and menacing the next. It's a beautiful thing to see this criminally underrated actor show his true potential. The Wachowskis delude us into thinking his character Caesar is just another random goon for the mob, but only when the money disappears do we get to see what he is capable of! He's certainly no saint, but I almost felt sorry for him in the end. A brilliant performance. Well done, Joe!

Secret Executioner

My Name Is Nobody (Italy/France/West Germany, 1973)

A classic Spaghetti Western directed by Tonino Valerii (with creative input from Sergio Leone) and starring Terence Hill and Henry Fonda.

Lighter than Sergio Leone's films but still more serious and darker than the usual Terence Hill movies such as the Trinity series, the movie deals with an elderly killer about to retire (leaving the West to Euroe) who encounters a young guy who worships him and wants to see him go with a bang, becoming a legend - which invovles fighting the 150 men of the gang known as the Wild Bunch.

I personally put this one among my favorite Westerns ever. I first saw this one when I was 12 and while it's clearly different than grittier movies like A Fistful Of Dollars (which I consider my favorite of the classic Sergio Leone trilogy) or than a classic of the genre like Once Upon A Time In The West (which I'm not really that keen on to be honest), My Name Is Nobody still has its merits with a very deep though complex and even tortured elderly gunslinger (played by a solid Henry Fonda), an enjoyable Terence Hill (whose performance is really good here - I must say though I'm not a big fan of his lighter movies or his stuff with Bud Spencer), some funny comedy (Terence Hill provides a lot of it, and in spite of the darker character portrayed by Fonda, the comedy doesn't seem out of place or makes the movie seem confused in its tone - actually, Hill and the comedy give a bit of fresh air to the film as Fonda's character is really broody at points), nice locations and of course a top-notch score by the master himself, Ennio Morricone - the musical theme that plays during clashes between Fonda and Hill is actually reminiscent of the "Man With A Harmonica" theme from Once Upon A Time In The West:

d4UqGn5O_0U

Secret Executioner

A classic Spaghetti Western directed by Tonino Valerii (with creative input from Sergio Leone) and starring Terence Hill and Henry Fonda.

Lighter than Sergio Leone's films but still more serious and darker than the usual Terence Hill movies such as the Trinity series, the movie deals with an elderly killer about to retire (leaving the West to Euroe) who encounters a young guy who worships him and wants to see him go with a bang, becoming a legend - which invovles fighting the 150 men of the gang known as the Wild Bunch.

I personally put this one among my favorite Westerns ever. I first saw this one when I was 12 and while it's clearly different than grittier movies like A Fistful Of Dollars (which I consider my favorite of the classic Sergio Leone trilogy) or than a classic of the genre like Once Upon A Time In The West (which I'm not really that keen on to be honest), My Name Is Nobody still has its merits with a very deep though complex and even tortured elderly gunslinger (played by a solid Henry Fonda), an enjoyable Terence Hill (whose performance is really good here - I must say though I'm not a big fan of his lighter movies or his stuff with Bud Spencer), some funny comedy (Terence Hill provides a lot of it, and in spite of the darker character portrayed by Fonda, the comedy doesn't seem out of place or makes the movie seem confused in its tone - actually, Hill and the comedy give a bit of fresh air to the film as Fonda's character is really broody at points), nice locations and of course a top-notch score by the master himself, Ennio Morricone - the musical theme that plays during clashes between Fonda and Hill is actually reminiscent of the "Man With A Harmonica" theme from Once Upon A Time In The West:

masterofoneinchpunch

I personally put this one among my favorite Westerns ever. I first saw this one when I was 12 and while it's clearly different than grittier movies like A Fistful Of Dollars (which I consider my favorite of the classic Sergio Leone trilogy) or than a classic of the genre like Once Upon A Time In The West (which I'm not really that keen on to be honest), My Name Is Nobody still has its merits with a very deep though complex and even tortured elderly gunslinger (played by a solid Henry Fonda), an enjoyable Terence Hill (whose performance is really good here ...

I absolutely love this film. It is one of my favorite spaghetti westerns (just a bit lower than The Good, The Bad and The Ugly and Once Upon A Time In The West) and is in my top 50 westerns (possibly 25 I would have to think this over.) I do like the two Trinity films I have seen (They Call Me Trinity, Trinity Is STILL My Name!), though neither as much as this movie (though Hill's characterization is quite similar including that insane fast draw.)

It's just a fun film with great characters.

What hurts my viewing of A Fistful Of Dollars is how much it takes from Yojimbo.

Since I'm a western fan what are your top 10 (or more westerns)?

shaolin swords

I order the American sniper movie but it was made really weird its like as the movie is going on some one is talking in the back round thru the whole movie could not watch it very annoying any one seen this movie :sad:angry

I saw taken 3 a lot of people said it was the worst taken they made but I really enjoyed it thought it was the best one they made :smile

Last Vegas (Jon Turtletaub, 2013): From the director of the original 3 NINJAS and the NATIONAL TREASURE films comes a pretty good film with an ensemble cast. Michael Douglas, Robert DeNiro, Morgan Freeman, and Kevin Kline are childhood friends who reunite for a trip to Vegas to attend the wedding of Douglas' character to a much younger woman. During the trip, hijinks ensue and secrets are revealed that test the four guys' friendship. It's pretty good for what it was and makes good use of the cast IMO. I'd rate it a 3.5 out of 5.

masterofoneinchpunch
One of the lesser known Hitch flix.....

[re Stage Fright]And what do you think of it? I've only seen in once (I have all of Hitch's American films) and really do need to rewatch it as I don't remember that much from it.

I've been watching some films by Takashi Miike. Visitor Q and Ichi The Killer for instance I wouldn't be able to recommend to just any person. In fact, I should be ashamed to admit to have watchedthem let alone enjoy them.

I've been watching some films by Takashi Miike. Visitor Q and Ichi The Killer for instance I wouldn't be able to recommend to just any person. In fact, I should be ashamed to admit to have watchedthem let alone enjoy them.

Why should you be ashamed of enjoying good movies?

Why should you be ashamed of enjoying good movies?

Sorry, forgot to insert :bigsmile: at the end of my post.

Lone Wolf knows no shame!!!

Impact (1949) - I decided to take a break from the kung fu and giant monster movies I've been delving into lately to check out this black n' white crime/noir film. A successful operations manager of an automobile company (Brian Donlevy) is almost done in by his wife's idiot lover, but survives the murder attempt (the lover doesn't). Distraught at his wife's treachery (the man was an incredibly doting husband), he wanders around and ends up in a small Idaho town called Larkspur, where finds work as a mechanic for the local gás station owner (the gorgeous Ella Raines). Everybody back home thinks he's dead, but he eventually decides to return to set the record straight...but things get hairy from there. It was a bit slow at first, but once it got moving, it had my attention until the end. And I could probably look at Ella for hours on end, although she's not quite as feisty as she was in Tall in the Saddle. Worth a watch.

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

It's been quite some time since I've last seen, but I rented Man Pride and Vengeance late last night. Still really enjoy this quasi-spaghetti western take on Carmen. Debating whether or not to get the blu ray because that will support Blue Underground in releasing more titles. I am utterly stunned they're still releasing new content.

And this morning, to further educate myself in the goodness of Philip Kwok, The Eye 2. This was an interesting tweak on ghosts because of the Karma / Buddhist elements and I loved Philip's performance here. Very subtle and quiet. He's as good an actor as he is acrobat / martial artist.

Secret Executioner
Just watched

It Follows

Had some creepy scenes, overall I did enjoy it.

A local theater will screen this around the end of the month. Looks spooky as hell, but still I might consider looking it up.

Secret Executioner
Death rides a horse, gotta love westerns

I think I saw this one several years ago - it's a revenge story with a guy whose parents and sister were murdered and who recognizes the killers thanks to details on their bodies, right ?

Not Lee Van Cleef's finest, but a decent movie - and Ennio Morricone's soundtrack is really cool (as expected I should say).

I watched Gamera vs. Zigra and Gamera vs. Viras/Destroy all Planets! in rapid succession. MUST. SAVE. THE BRAIN!!!!

Secret Executioner
I watched Gamera vs. Zigra and Gamera vs. Viras/Destroy all Planets! in rapid succession. MUST. SAVE. THE BRAIN!!!!

Viras is a nice and fun little flick. Not sure about Zigra, still have to check it out.