What ELSE (other than KUNG FU) has everyone been watching?

Guest kenichiku

Guest kenichiku

The Magic Blade (revival theatrical) ***.5/5 - still held up from a non-restored Celestial print.

Lo Wei, Golden Sword (r3) *** - better 2nd time!

Yen Chun, That Fiery Girl (r3) *** - classic Cheng Pei Pei

non-Shaw:

Chu Yuan, Cold Blade **.5 - all the seeds to greatness are there in his freshman effort (will review soon).

Ollie Stone, Alexander dtr's cut (R1) **** - better film than the critics say!

You Got Served (HBO) ** - 'Beat Street' redux?

Shamalyan, The Village (R1) ***- the atmosphere is tops

The Rage of Wind starring Chen Sing, Yasuaki Kurata. A pretty good and solid movie with typical Chen Sing & Yasuaki Kurata fights. I wished that the two main characters had more fight scenes than just the final one.

Guest Firecrane

Shaws:

Bastard Swordsman 1&2

7 Man Army

Emperor and His Brother

Heroes Two

Golden Harvest - I picked up the Fox/Fortune Star box set

Big Boss

Fist of Fury

Indy Kung Fu:

South Shaolin Master(Red Dragons of Shaolin)

2 Great Cavalier

Secret Life Of Ninja

The Dragon, The Hero

The Secret Rivals 2

DVD:

The Myth -> Pretty cool Jackie Chan

Kingdom of Heaven

Batman Begins

White Noise -> yuck

Hide and Seek -> Another Secret Window.

Guest ShaofuSage

Watched The Heroes with Ti Lung. Really enjoyed the storyline, which strayed from your basic Shaolin rebel tale, plus Lung gave a good physical performance in this one. I'd give it 3 out of 4 stars.

Guest Chen Zhen
Watched The Heroes with Ti Lung. Really enjoyed the storyline, which strayed from your basic Shaolin rebel tale, plus Lung gave a good physical performance in this one. I'd give it 3 out of 4 stars.

agreed. this film isnt talked about very much for some reason but it has one of the best storylines ever! Ni Kuang was truly classic kf's best screenplay writer along with Chang Cheh, and this film is proof...this film is also possibly the best showcase for Ti Lung's acting skills. very interesting and original story, great Robert Tai choreography, excellent direction courtesy of Wu Ma and a great cast (ti lung and tan tao liang, and chan wai man) all equal possibly the most underrated kung fu classic in y eyes.

Guest iron flag

Showdown at the Cottonmill-Overrated?. Good movie(nice pace,never have to wait long for a fight) but I didnt find the fights that great (especially the finale).W/S DVD but subs are often unreadable and cut off. ***

Judgement of an Assassin- Liked it even more 2nd time around. ***1/2

Stife for Mastery- Great movie!!! ***1/2

Holy Flame of the Martial World- I loved Kuo Chui's character but I didnt get a lot of the comedy(flying green english speaking mummies etc.). **

Non KF

The Wanderers-Very good ***1/2

The Incredibles-Ive seen it probably 7 or 8 times with my son (we both still love it) :) ****

just finished watching this movie on Celestial DVD for the third time. I've been watching this movie for years on my boot VHS tape in German with no English sub and I like it a lot, especially now that it's uncut & I now can understand all the conversations.

also, I watched Hero Of The Waterfront (aka Hero of Chiu Chow) starring Tan Tao Liang, and I think this is his very fist movie that started off his kungfu film career. good movie during that time frame.

Guest sevenhooks
sevenhooks, do you mean the Looney Tunes Golden Collection vol. 3? I haven't got it yet. Here in Australia we need to wait for a while. Still no word about this release.

Yes, it's Vol.3. That sucks that you can't get it over there yet.

It's really good.

Though I've heard that Australia sometimes gets Simpsons DVDs before we do.

Strange.

Guest jmungus

the descent (2005)

from british filmmaker neil marshall, who brought us the marvellous low budget horror-action treat "dog soldiers".

the descent plays kinda like a loose sequel to DS, as if there was a thematical anthology (and if his upcoming effort 'doomsday' will feature some serious [space-]creature material, then i guess there really is one).

the descent has an all-girl-cast, dark caves, tunnels and cool strobo lights.

ive come across some (imo) exaggerated paeans of praise on the internet, but nonetheless, this is a flick any horror/mystery/adventure movie fan should check out.

73%

the cave (2005)

watched this at a friends last weekend and its only right this gets a mention together with 'the descent'.

ppl were talking like those 2 flix were pretty much the same, one the low on budget european gem, the other one (the cave), its hollywood equivalent, racing for the no1 spot claustrophobic "hole" flick of the year.

the cave is actually more like a 'alien vs predator'-clone.

equally crappy, if not worse. its badly shot- uninspired, shaky, untransparent, too vague and to some degree chaotic and plain retarded at times.

if i added up all sequences that were only sort-of-nice, this movie had a running time of 5, 6 mins.

if hollow crap entertainment in the likes of ghost ship is among your faves, u re the one that might not wanna skip this.

37%

shaolin intruders (1983)

have seen this flick a couple of times before.

gotta say, i find its plot to be too tame and generic.

shaolin prince has a lot more to offer in this regards. more colourful, more crazy over the top, more diverse and also more hilarious.

derek & jason make a great odd couple tho & the rest of the cast is very solid; choreo-wise theres no need to empathize how sweet it is, even tho the fights and the nature of em are easily predictable for anyone who knows their shaolin flix.

i suppose its a 80 or even 90 percenter for anyone that didnt like the 3 crazy monks in SP; to me its a real proper 78%.

hollywood homicide (2003)

cant explain to myself why i agreed to watch this one, after refusing to go see it in the theater or rent it 2 years ago.

its a semi-watchable fare, that has the energy of an 80 year old and the ingenuity of a bread crumb.

too bad, i liked ron sheltons "tin cup" and "white men cant jump", but with BB2 and this one he has definitely proven himself to be nothing else but yet another one of those fake hollywood no talent, no artistry bi*****.

hartnett is a total turd (and has been all the way), and mr. ford, beloved hero of my youth (as han & indy- duh!).... he manages to produce a few nice moments, but i wouldnt know how its even remotely possible he could helm another indiana jones in 2008. get the brother his well earned wheelchair luxury edition.

a rare case i concur with a movies imdb rating, and i think im still being easy on the flick giving it...

52%

Guest Chia Ling AKA Judy Lee
hollywood homicide (2003)

a rare case i concur with a movies imdb rating, and i think im still being easy on the flick giving it...

52%

O Boy! This film really is poor. I couldnt bring myself to watch it, even though I own the actual shoes P wears in this film. The director is terrible, and Harnett and Ford are atrocious. The film would be a trainwreck is Master P didnt save it with his presence.

0+100%

:hat

Guest jmungus
O Boy! This film really is poor. I couldnt bring myself to watch it, even though I own the actual shoes P wears in this film.

LOL :D yeah, i was like "boooo" a couple of times n my gf had to convince me these last few sequences were actually "regular" quality film making, only i couldnt manage to let go of the atrocious part ive witnessed 5 mins ago (a situation that occurs frequently in this movie).

i dont quite understand how u come about to having an opinion bout the movie if u say yourself that u couldnt bring yourself to watch it. :rolleyes (heads up, youre better off).

ive been taught on other occassions, from other films i had originally refused to check out, its actually okay to give 2nd chances, with the original sensation of disgust and all the media and fan crowd anti-hype out of the way, but this movie really taught me otherwise.

hmm, u r a MP fan or why would u suggest he could do anything to save this movie ? he fits right in this travesty of a low on talent wackfest ;)

guy with the secret kung fu (1978 )

GWTSKF is a true chop socky blueprint come to life.

meng fei and chung chien are out to kick some asses.

GWTSKF actually has a plot, but it becomes less and less of an interest, its just roling along smoothly, blahzay blah and kapowww, theres the next nice shapes fight.

i own a fullscreen version but didnt have the feeling (for once) the fight scenes had suffered all too much in this (rare) case.

engl dub positive: no real annoying dubbing voices; and the negative: extremely generic by the book chit chat- they could have made this a silent movie and we wouldnt miss a thing.

after all, fun flick, a nice variety of techniques, some swift legwork as well, likable actors,.... no must have, but close.

hmm, u r a MP fan or why would u suggest he could do anything to save this movie ? he fits right in this travesty of a low on talent wackfest

Ouch, Ok, thats harsh.

Master P is the greatest actor of all time.

Even if I wasnt a fan I would say that, but then I would be a fan, its all circular. :\

I just skipped to the Master P parts, the rest was totally cringeworthy, and I knew P was pissed at how lame the scenes were.

Guest jmungus

:b thats ok. im just not feelin him myself (music wise), but lets not make it a discussion bout the rap game & i can assure u i wasnt like "yuk, thats that beotch MP, did he sponsor the fancy cars to get a part in this flick ?" when he appeared on the screen. not-at-all!!!

tho his performance was so pale, hes unofficially a whitey since that shooting :eek ;)

lets move on to better things- hating on hartnett :evil or even better, let s/o else talk about his latest views ...i for once have decided to dare treat myself with a long long brave archer movie night tonite (had watched all of dem before at least once and im, uhmm... not really a fan :rolleyes )

tho his performance was so pale, hes unofficially a whitey since that shooting

What the hell?

You are a complete loser, I dont mean it as an insult, I really mean that.

I guess it says alot about both of us.

I wouldnt resort to insulting an artist using racial slurs, whilst you would. I pity the fact you have to degrade yourself that way, its nothing to do with my appreciation of Master P, Im used to the dismissals.

Thats two one to me, so you were right.

I really dont want to talk to you unless you change your attitude.

Guest Chen Zhen

what r u guys really arguing about? y'all should just agree to disagree.......one person likes P, the other doesnt....lets not start any "internet beef"...:)

Guest jmungus

u know there was a moment i`d wanted to know that too. :lol

dunno what the commotion is about myself and frankly dont care.

what i do care about is to share a few thoughts on my little brave archer experiment (all 4 back to back) but right now i care a lot more about gettin some sleep; it was challenging enough to stay focused on the BA&HM final fight with a lotta heavy eye lids action already kickin in. :x

good fight, good night:p

I just finished watching

STEALTH Not as sucky as it could have been.

GODZILLA: FINAL WARS Don "the Predator" Frye makes the movie for me. An actor that only has to scowl and remember 2 to 3 lines a scene is amazing. He doesn't even have any good fight scenes WTF. A did enjoy the Godzilla- King Seesar-Anguilas-Rodan four way fight though. Using soccer moves for a monster fight is something new. Cool Kane Kosugi action in this flick.

VERSUS After all the hype I heard from people and on the net, I thought it was boring as hell and very goofy. I can see where the ideas for some of the FINAL WARS weirdness came from.

Guest kenichiku

Ho Meng Hua, Swift Sword ***.5/5, surprisingly good! A no-nonsense retro wuxia where conscious decision not to follow the Chu Yuan pack worked in its favor. Ho Meng Hua has a way with his wuxia women – here Esther Niu (in male drag squatting to pee), Lily Li & Kara Hui all used well even when not kicking ass. Lo Lieh & Chiang Tao at their back-stabbing best. Wong Yue in ‘Proud Youth’ mode.

Lu Chun Ku, Lady Assassin (r3) content ***.5, sound *.5; additional under-cranking and bogus audio robbed me of what is an otherwise stellar film. Never mind Max Mok, Norman Chu’s allowed to shine without the shadow of guys like Ti Lung and …er Ti Lung to steal his thunder. His two cool assistants Pearl & Jade are any martial artist’s male fantasy.

Lo Mar, Bruce Lee & I ***- Linda Lee Caldwell had nothing to worry about; Betty Ting Pei’s side of the story is just that, a tabloid side of half-baked Brucesploitation nowhere near perfection with the best of the clones. Danny Lee did fine with his take on the legend but it was Betty’s cry for sympathy that somehow didn’t click with me especially when spoken with the language of countless cheesy Taiwanese melodramas of that period. Wonder if Shaws intended the role of the Raymond Chow lookalike to be the doofus with coke bottle glasses that he appeared to be. Lo Wei and Liu Liang Hua are Xeroxed with more flattery. The trmapoline’s 70s waterbed looked cool though.

Liu Chia Yung, Fake Ghost Catchers (r3) ***.5, I don’t usually like Hsiao Hou as a center but with a surprisingly good Chang Chin Peng and a manic Fu Sheng, he does okay. I expected worse. The limited fights were quite exhilarating in that ‘Miracle Fighters’ mode. Actually would make a good double with ‘Spiritual Boxer II’.

Walk the Line (theatrical) ***.5 – Phoenix & Witherspoon’s really good. Good to see Robert Patrick acting outside of T2. Too bad it’s been lumped with last year’s ‘Ray’.

Kobayashi, Harakiri (theatrical) ****.5 - w/Nakadai Tatsuya, Mikuni Rentaro, Tamba Tetsuro. Shaw pioneers give them credit where’s due. This 1962 picture’s as sophisticated and true to the Chambara spirit as they come.

Guest GwaiLoMoFo
Master P is the greatest actor of all time.

To each his own, but...... are you serious? Really, Im not sure if your being sarcastic or not. :x

*Basatrd Swordsman- 4/5 Great fun and full of Shaw stars and energy. Inventive fight scenes and entertaining story to boot. Only I did get a chuckle outta the "Silkworm Style" at the end. It was kinda cheesy.

*Just Friends- 4/5 I dont know why so many bad reviews. But this one was pretty damn funny. Ryan Reynolds was hilarious.

*Green Jade Statuette- 4.5/5 CLASSIC!! Tommy Lee is dope in this one. Good cast of preformers.

*She Shoots Straight- 3.5/5 Pretty good modern Chick Fu flick.

*Corpse Bride- 4/5 Took the kids to this one and is was quite enjoyable. They gave it a thumbs up as well. Not as good as Nightmare, but still good.

*A History Of Violence- 5/5 Great Croenenberg film. Ed Harris, Maria Bello (Hot!) and Viggo Mortensen are awesome. A deffinite must see. Not for the weak of heart.

*Iceman Cometh- 4/5 Yuen Biao and Yuen Wah are both very good in this one. Great openeing and end sequences. Dragged a little in the middle. Liked it more than I expected.

To each his own, but...... are you serious? Really, Im not sure if your being sarcastic or not.

:lol hehe, I was being a little ironic, I do enjoy his performances though, and thats what matters in the end. I know he isnt to everyones taste, but I wont tolerate racial slurs.

:hat