What ELSE (other than KUNG FU) has everyone been watching?

Guest kenichiku

Believe it or not, I've never even seen a complete episode of Sponge Bob. But the movie looked funny, did you and your wife enjoy it too?

How was PADDINGTON?

I recently watched NIGHTCRAWLER- about independent news cameramen trawling for footage- and it was fantastic. Sleazy, harrowing, but brilliantly done with an amazing lead performance from Jake Gyllenhall.

I'm not a Spongebob fan myself, but my son wanted to go see it, so we did.

Paddington was really enjoyable, I would see it again.

Rewatched one of my favorite movies recently , Jon Woo's "Bullet In The Head".

As I told Brother Bob recently, I have not seen any of John Woo's late '80s/early '90s films. :sad

I need to check out at least one. Would The Killer be a good first one?

legendarycurry

As I told Brother Bob recently, I have not seen any of John Woo's late '80s/early '90s films. :sad

I need to check out at least one. Would The Killer be a good first one?

I think The Killer is a great place to start, a great film. It gives you all the classic John Woo elements: The male bonding, the heroic bloodshed, gun weilding chow yun fat, christan symbolism and the iconic doves. Even has a nice reference to a Chang Cheh classic.

Recommended for sure

I think The Killer is a great place to start, a great film. It gives you all the classic John Woo elements: The male bonding, the heroic bloodshed, gun weilding chow yun fat, christan symbolism and the iconic doves. Even has a nice reference to a Chang Cheh classic.

Recommended for sure

Ok brother Koray, will do! Thank you.

– United 93 (2006)

Spoilers? I'm sure everybody knows what happened on that day in 2001, but I will white out some parts for those that haven't seen the film. Highlight it with your mouse / touch pad to see it.

I will never be able to get the last few minutes of this film out of my head – particularly the last shot from the cockpit window. The screen immediately cutting to black upon impact served to drive home the finality of death, and it was fucking horrifying to watch.

Paul Greengrass softens none of the blows of these horrific events. He displays them in all their terrifying infamy, but few will have the stomach to make it all the way through. Don't see United 93 unless you are sure you're ready for it!

United 93 sounds very interesting, but I think I need to save it for a dayswhen I'm up for some "downer" entertainment? I didn't read what you posted in white.

I watched Big Hero 6, I actually enjoyed It a lot. Plenty of subtle humor (that is still kid friendly) that made me laugh, and pretty touching story..great animation and overall fun movie probably goes without saying. This was actually the best kids movie I have seen in a while (I'm thinking of How to Train Your Dragon 2 and Lego Movie). Those two were also good, but I enjoyed this more.

For me, NIGHT OF THE CREEPS is just perfect! Love this movie. I think that Detective Ray Cameron is the role Tom Atkins was born to play. Now... "Thrill me!" :nerd:

Love Night of the Creeps, it was a perennial favorite of mine during my whole horror film phase...you can see it on Crackle for free.

Trivia: The lead actor, Jason Lively, is the elder half-brother of Blake Lively, so he's Ryan Reynolds' brother in law. He also played Rusty in European Vacation.

I'm doing a double feature of Bollywood tonight. First is Boss, starring Akshay Kumar as a man who as a teen, was taken in by a crime boss and now must choose what to do when his father asks for his help. The second will be Kites, an rom-action starring Hrithik Roshan as a dance instructor/conman whose life is turned upside down when a woman he helped years ago comes back to his life only to learn she is engaged to his fiancee's brother. The film was the only Bollywood movie in history to break the Hollywood Top Ten and there are two versions, a Bollywood 123-minute version and a musical number-less version presented by Brett Ratner.

masterofoneinchpunch
Preparing for a little Man With No Name trilogy-thon. Although he ssems to have names in all 3 :squigglemouth:

A_Fistful_of_Dollars_poster.jpg

I find that image a little hilarious when it states "is the first motion picture of its kind." when it is a blatant remake of Yojimbo. Now I like the movie, but I think the next two films are much better in terms of originality and scope.

DragonClaws
I find that image a little hilarious when it states "is the first motion picture of its kind." when it is a blatant remake of Yojimbo. Now I like the movie, but I think the next two films are much better in terms of originality and scope.

I think they might have been referring to Sergio Leone's unique visual style and his portrayal of the western. Rather than referring to the plot. Though I could be wrong?. The violence in these films might appear tame now but it was very gritty for the time. Compare it to other westerns released in the years leading up to this film.

Those films were groundbreaking in their time. Fistful Of Dollars did lift the story from Yojimbo and Leone admitted that. They just broke the mold of the old Hollywood studio westerns starring John Wayne and Randolph Scott etc.

Secret Executioner

I guess "its kind" refers to the Spaghetti Western genre.

Personally, I'd have a hard time saying which of the three I like best - For A Few Dollars More maybe ? I really like its soundtrack and the pocket watch duels.

masterofoneinchpunch
I think they might have been referring to Sergio Leone's unique visual style and his portrayal of the western. Rather than referring to the plot. Though I could be wrong?. The violence in these films might appear tame now but it was very gritty for the time. Compare it to other westerns released in the years leading up to this film.

Those films were groundbreaking in their time. Fistful Of Dollars did lift the story from Yojimbo and Leone admitted that. They just broke the mold of the old Hollywood studio westerns starring John Wayne and Randolph Scott etc.

I was being somewhat facetious and somewhat serious. With that film Leone even copies entire scenes from Yojimbo (watch the movies back to back.) I like Leone's style and especially the next two films, much more than this one. But I like the visual flair in Yojimbo and the cinematography much more.

Fistful of Dollars was groundbreaking in the way it helped popularize westerns made in Italy and Spain (it was not the first spaghetti western, just one that was a catalyst in popularizing that movement.) And your right that it increase the violence portion, though probably not as much of a factor compared to The Wild Bunch and it's use of violence (and the influence of violence that film had.)

To be fair to Randolph Scott he did play a few anti-heroes with most notably in Coroner's Creek (an extremely underrated western that skirts the Hays Code in several scenes) and Wayne's character in The Searchers is less "white-hat" (racist), but yeah I know what you are referring to with the rise of the anti-hero, especially in contrast to the other Hollywood westerns.

DragonClaws
I was being somewhat facetious and somewhat serious. With that film Leone even copies entire scenes from Yojimbo (watch the movies back to back.) I like Leone's style and especially the next two films, much more than this one. But I like the visual flair in Yojimbo and the cinematography much more.

Fistful of Dollars was groundbreaking in the way it helped popularize westerns made in Italy and Spain (it was not the first spaghetti western, just one that was a catalyst in popularizing that movement.) And your right that it increase the violence portion, though probably not as much of a factor compared to The Wild Bunch and it's use of violence (and the influence of violence that film had.)

To be fair to Randolph Scott he did play a few anti-heroes with most notably in Coroner's Creek (an extremely underrated western that skirts the Hays Code in several scenes) and Wayne's character in The Searchers is less "white-hat" (racist), but yeah I know what you are referring to with the rise of the anti-hero, especially in contrast to the other Hollywood westerns.

I understand:smile:

The Wild Bunch did have a huge influence on violence in cinema without a doubt. That film came out in 1969 I think?, whilst Leone's Fistful Of Dollars came out in 1964. A lot of people think they did start the trend with Italian westerns. But as you pointed out they had been making them pre to this.

The Searches is a great film one of Wayne's best. The scene where the young white girl is suffering from the effects of her ordeal was very strong for its time. I'm not a huge fan of John Wayne but enjoy a some of his films The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, Red River to name a few. But I still think Leone's film changed the genre as the American films of the era had gone a bit stale.

If you enjoy old westerns I recommend you watch Hombre (1967) starring Paul Newman and Richard Boone amongst others. Its not as groundbreaking as Peckinpah's film but certainly worth a look.

masterofoneinchpunch
I understand:smile:

The Wild Bunch did have a huge influence on violence in cinema without a doubt. That film came out in 1969 I think?, whilst Leone's Fistful Of Dollars came out in 1964. A lot of people think they did start the trend with Italian westerns. But as you pointed out they had been making them pre to this.

The Searches is a great film one of Wayne's best. The scene where the young white girl is suffering from the effects of her ordeal was very strong for its time. I'm not a huge fan of John Wayne but enjoy a some of his films The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, Red River to name a few. But I still think Leone's film changed the genre as the American films of the era had gone a bit stale.

If you enjoy old westerns I recommend you watch Hombre (1967) starring Paul Newman and Richard Boone amongst others. Its not as groundbreaking as Peckinpah's film but certainly worth a look.

One very important aspect to remember about Fistful of Dollars in the United States is that it did not come to the theater until a few years later in 1967. Only in Italy (I believe and according to IMDBs country release list) was it seen in 1964. But it definitely did change things over here (earlier I was discussing why it wasn't held in high esteem for myself, not discounting its influence.)

Bonnie and Clyde was also quite important (and earlier) to the increase of violence in American film (well so was the ignoring of the Hays Code :D.)

I like Hombre very much. I agree it is definitely worth a look if someone hasn't seen it. Heck its worth watching again (something I probably should do sooner or later; reminds me I need to see some other Newman films of mine.)

I grew to be more of a John Wayne fan over the years. The same goes with Randolph Scott. Wayne's acting improves as the decades go along (seriously watch some of his B westerns from the 1930s and compare to later day movies of his, though to be fair he is good in Stagecoach which was in the 30s, though John Ford always did know how to work him.)

DragonClaws
One very important aspect to remember about Fistful of Dollars in the United States is that it did not come to the theater until a few years later in 1967. Only in Italy (I believe and according to IMDBs country release list) was it seen in 1964. But it definitely did change things over here (earlier I was discussing why it wasn't held in high esteem for myself, not discounting its influence.)

Bonnie and Clyde was also quite important (and earlier) to the increase of violence in American film (well so was the ignoring of the Hays Code :D.)

I like Hombre very much. I agree it is definitely worth a look if someone hasn't seen it. Heck its worth watching again (something I probably should do sooner or later; reminds me I need to see some other Newman films of mine.)

I grew to be more of a John Wayne fan over the years. The same goes with Randolph Scott. Wayne's acting improves as the decades go along (seriously watch some of his B westerns from the 1930s and compare to later day movies of his, though to be fair he is good in Stagecoach which was in the 30s, though John Ford always did know how to work him.)

I haven't watched Bonnie & Clyde since I was a teenager. Dillinger with Warren Oates and Ben Johnson is another bloody crime film though not as influential and it came out in the 70's.

Hombre is a great western and good study on human character. John Wayne was usually better under John Ford's direction. He did a pretty good job acting in The Shootist too. Soldier Blue was a very controversial film at the time of its release in 1970. My dad is a huge fan of the genre and I grew up watching the Sam Peckinpah and Randolph Scott films etc. Ulzanas Raid is another superb gritty 70s western starring Burt Lancaster. There are number of different version of this film too.

Predator, had the BD laying around since I got it during one of the Expendables sales, and it had been a while since I last saw it...

Needless to say, still as entertaining as ever. Timeless classic, I wish action movies like this would come back instead of more superhero movies.. I love the slow build up, and the final half an hour showing Arnie prepping, Predator basking over his trophies, and then the final showdown. Great way to start a Sunday morning.

Also, I've noticed most Blu rays of older moves really aren't worth having on Blu ray, as the quality just isn't that great, sometimes it seems the clearer, sharper picture even reveals some faults.. I can say this is one that looks fantastic on BD though.