What ELSE (other than KUNG FU) has everyone been watching?

Guest kenichiku

Secret Executioner

Nefertiti, Queen Of The Nile (Italy, 1961)

A peplum set in Ancient Egypt in the times of the Pharaohs. The movie deals with the destiny of a young girl and her love for a sculptor, a love made impossible as she's to become a priestess unless the High Priest (played by Vincent Price) has other plans...

The film is enjoyable, it has some interesting and rather likeable characters and is interesting in a historical point of view - there are mistakes (wrong capital city) and ommitions (Amenophis IV changing his name), but an important plot point is the factual switch to a new religion in Egypt (the cult of the God Aton, which led to Amenophis IV changing his name to Akhenaten). That new religion is portrayed as similar to religions like Christianity, which I can't tell is true - considering critics have stated Anthony Mann's El Cid used the Crusades era as a parallel of the Cold War, one may assume this film has some kind of agenda relevant to the time period it was made.

The film also uses several tropes from the genre like the mad ruler (not mad like Nero would be, but he certainly seems off his chump), the conspiracies to overthrow said ruler (guess who the villain is ?), the impossible love relations (love triangle that goes kinda square)...

Whiplash

I can't reccomend this film enough. Amazing performences from J.K Simmons and Miles Teller and the drumming is sensational and makes for wonderful listening. The script and direction are so tight, there were one or two sequences where I was glued to the screen, transfixed with what was in front of me. That doesn't happen very often!

Secret Executioner

Titanic (UK TV movie, 1996)

Another Titanic movie I found on youtube. The production for this movie actually got rushed so that it would be out before the James Cameron film, which seems to imply part 2 isn't as solid as part 1 (which ends with the Titanic hitting the iceberg). To be fair (I'll be checking out part 2 later), I guess the sinking is harder to pull off that the cruise part - we go from people in lounges, their rooms or on the deck to a ship sinking with lots of special effects required.

This movie also has some really strange stuff going on too like a rape scene (a 3rd class chick gets raped - by Tim Curry who somehow plays a sort of bad guy here - the very night the ship hit the - bad CGI - iceberg) and a mentally fragile lady (who's having disturbing nightmares about people dying in water) who's nursing the kids of a first class couple, but is recognized by a maid as a psycho who killed her baby. The reality on this is that the nurse and the killer had similar names but were two different persons.

– Lucy (2014)

If you're open-minded while viewing this film, then it will easily entertain you. The strength and originality of Lucy's character, enhanced by Scarlett Johansson's wonderful execution, renders her exciting to watch on screen. Future cult classic?

Secret Executioner
Titanic (UK TV movie, 1996)

Another Titanic movie I found on youtube. The production for this movie actually got rushed so that it would be out before the James Cameron film, which seems to imply part 2 isn't as solid as part 1 (which ends with the Titanic hitting the iceberg). To be fair (I'll be checking out part 2 later), I guess the sinking is harder to pull off that the cruise part - we go from people in lounges, their rooms or on the deck to a ship sinking with lots of special effects required.

This movie also has some really strange stuff going on too like a rape scene (a 3rd class chick gets raped - by Tim Curry who somehow plays a sort of bad guy here - the very night the ship hit the - bad CGI - iceberg) and a mentally fragile lady (who's having disturbing nightmares about people dying in water) who's nursing the kids of a first class couple, but is recognized by a maid as a psycho who killed her baby. The reality on this is that the nurse and the killer had similar names but were two different persons.

Watched part 2 and whie some of the CG for the ship doesn't look as good as in the first half, it's pretty gripping. No bickering about like in James Cameron's film (Sorry James, but you do realize that while your stupid fairy tale couple is bickering about, there is a gigantic ship sinking with one of the worst death toll in history of sea tragedies occuring, right ?), it's a very "in your face" display of the tragedy - at least you're not crying for some useless guy freezing to death (as though some idiot had expected him to survive)

Secret Executioner

Excerpts from a cartoon compilation called The Best Of Superman. You have shorts from series as diverse as:

- the 1940s Superman cartoons

- a couple of 1980s Superfriends incarnations (the 1980 Super Friends, SuperFriends: The Legendary Super Powers Show and The Super Powers Team: Galactic Guardians)

- Superman TAS (mid 1990s)

- Justice League Unlimited

Pretty good material overall. :nerd:

Re-watched a few favourites last night.

– Frankenhooker (1990)

Frank Henenlotter is a demented genius. If you've seen any of his other films then you know what to expect. Frankenhooker is a low-budget classic that puts a fresh, sleazy spin on the well-known legend.

Patty Mullen's quirky facial tics, comic timing and bodacious body make her abbreviated acting career all the more sad. James Lorinz is an unhinged nutcase, fiendishly ad-libbing his way through nearly every scene.

– Castaway on the Moon (2009)

Castaway on the Moon is a masterful piece of film-making – compelling, smart, and truly original. Its success can rightfully be attributed to the fantastic performances by Jung Jae-young and Jung Ryeo-won. Both actors prove to be inventive, exciting performers whose characters burst with personality and ache with the clouded sense of a painful past.

– Kick-Ass (2010)

I went into this with relatively low expectations, and came out completely surprised. Kick-Ass is pure unadulterated fun, mixing odd tonal shifts that range from gut-wrenching comedy to tearful tragedy.

Chloë Grace Moretz as the trained killer Hit-Girl is the sole reason to see this film. She is both cute and incredibly frightening, and while the extremity of her skill is unbelievable for someone so young, it makes it no less exhilarating.

masterofoneinchpunch
– Kick-Ass (2010)

I went into this with relatively low expectations, and came out completely surprised. Kick-Ass is pure unadulterated fun, mixing odd tonal shifts that range from gut-wrenching comedy to tearful tragedy.

Chloë Grace Moretz as the trained killer Hit-Girl is the sole reason to see this film. She is both cute and incredibly frightening, and while the extremity of her skill is unbelievable for someone so young, it makes it no less exhilarating.

Are you going to watch the sequel? I did not like the sequel as much. The tonal shifts here did not seem to be as cohesive as in the first film. I wonder if it was because Matthew Vaughn did not direct it (quite possibly.) Reminds me a little of how Taken sequels were not as good to me because Pierre Morel did not direct them.

I too was surprised by liking this film. I was going to ignore it until I saw how much people were using avatars (mainly Hit Girl) from the film and referencing it. So I figured on watching it. In fact I went in with a negative attitude (I try not to have this, but it was there.) I ended up enjoying it as an over-the-top violent comedy in the graphic novel influenced (which it was based on) sub-genre. Strangely enough I like Nicholas Cage so his involvement here seemed perfect as the "psycho" dad with a good particular set of skills.

Are you going to watch the sequel?

Blu-ray is on the way from Amazon. It was cheap enough, so no big loss if I don't like it.

I too was surprised by liking this film. I was going to ignore it until I saw how much people were using avatars (mainly Hit Girl) from the film and referencing it.

I avoided it for the longest time, but ended up buying a cheap second hand copy, which then sat unwatched for about two years, which then got sold. :xd:

Strangely enough I like Nicholas Cage so his involvement here seemed perfect as the "psycho" dad with a good particular set of skills.

I've been binging on Cage flicks lately, which prompted me to buy Kick-Ass again. I'm glad I did now! His scenes with Moretz were the best in the film.

Just watched big hero 6 with my son and loved it! Great kids movie! Also I watched all of American horror story season 4 and loved the hell out of that

!

– Scott Pilgrim vs. The World (2010)

What the fucking fuck was that? Someone recommended this to me after I told them I liked Kick-Ass. That someone will now be viciously beaten.

masterofoneinchpunch
– Scott Pilgrim vs. The World (2010)

What the fucking fuck was that? Someone recommended this to me after I told them I liked Kick-Ass. That someone will now be viciously beaten.

I'm close to watching this. I need some details on what you think is wrong. I've liked the directors other works :).

I love Edgar Wright, too, but this is something else. The film's aim is to be a gimmick, and it succeeds, which is why I don't think it's good. It has to push “funny”, “cool” or loud scenes at you all the time. The interesting visual aesthetic quickly grows tiresome and even a little bit obnoxious. It was too much to handle.

Then you've got Michael Cera playing the same boring Michael Cera character that appears in every film featuring Michael Cera. Maybe one needs to be into the graphic novel to get it? Not for me, at any rate.

I love Edgar Wright, too, but this is something else. The film's aim is to be a gimmick, and it succeeds, which is why I don't think it's good. It has to push “funny”, “cool” or loud scenes at you all the time. The interesting visual aesthetic quickly grows tiresome and even a little bit obnoxious. It was too much to handle.

Then you've got Michael Cera playing the same boring Michael Cera character that appears in every film featuring Michael Cera. Maybe one needs to be into the graphic novel to get it? Not for me, at any rate.

I personally thought it was a fun graphic novel come to life. Sure, Michael Cera seems well, Cera-ish lol...but you have to love the fight scenes, courtesy of one Brad Allan and team plus the cameo from Thomas Jane and Clifton Collins Jr. was classic in my book.

Haunters (Kim Min-Seok, 2010): This was a pretty good cat-and-mouse game between an intense psychic killer and the one person who is immune to the killer's powers. It totally reminded me of SCANNERS minus the nasty head explosions. Kang Dong-Won, who played WOO-CHI, made a good nemesis in the psychic killer.

Secret Executioner

Gamera vs Viras (1968)

picture.php?albumid=244&pictureid=7452

Posted about this in the "Japanese movie mini reviews" thread. A really fun film, with likeable human characters, a creative villain and a trailer that got me going "WTF am I watching ?!" (and that has about 4 or 5 scenes NOT in the movie, and I saw the Japanese version).

=6JS1y991ngQ

masterofoneinchpunch

some spoilers for Birdman:

Watched Birdman last night (and I'm caught up again on Best Picture winners having seen them all.) One thing I noticed (and later confirmed when I read some comments from the director) is how much the film Russian Ark influenced the camera movement and idea of long takes in the cinematography. I loved the acting in the film and liked the cinematography. Some of the references were too easy (pot shots at popular actors doing costume characters) and the flip-flop of west coast and east coast acting philosophies got a little annoying (I don't think the director was taking a stance either way.)

It went for that sort of Being There ending, but it didn't quite work for me. Honestly I thought the film could have ended after the gunshot. The magical moments in Birdman could always be explained in that film until that last shot (when he does that magical flying around, later a taxi driver comes to collect money from him for example) -- so that does make it different from the rest. It does seem that (along with the nose) truly turns into Birdman. In a way that shot reminds me of the shot in Fight Club (along with the presence of Norton -- one of his jokes also seems to come directly from that film as well.) The shot doesn't kill, but jars the protagonist into another way of thinking.

I recommend the David Bordwell article (BIRDMAN: Following Riggan’s orders) on this film where he goes over quite a bit of the technical details and structure of the film. One of the best reads on the movie.