What ELSE (other than KUNG FU) has everyone been watching?

Guest kenichiku

Underworld : Awakening – overall I quite enjoyed this movie. The action wasn't that good, typical for Hollywood and this action franchise but I enjoyed the story.I don't think I would buy this but I would watch it again.

masterofoneinchpunch

some comments on:

Eat Drink Man Woman (1994: Ang Lee: Taiwan):

This is a nice tale of three sisters and a widowed dad in the third of the “Father Knows Best” trilogy (Pushing Hands and The Wedding Banquet are the other two; I have seen the second but not the first). The dad Chu is a famous chef, however he has lost his taste and relies upon his friend and coworker Old Wen (Jui Wang.) He makes an elaborate dinner for them every Sunday which they refer it as the “torture chamber.” His dinners look quite good, but it is seems almost blasphemous how the daughters react to all his work for them. It is with his food that he tries to communicate his love for them, though you can see his stoicism (Confucian ideal) in dealing with his daughters or least his ineptitude in that area.

This is a well-made film, but it is not always successful in its approach with dealing with the daughters. The youngest one is almost an afterthought except for one pertinent moment at the dinner table. There is an irony with several of the relationships, sometimes making certain announcements force-fed. Lee thinks he is going to trick you one way, but leads you another. It did not always work for me (as I could see it coming and it just seems forced; it is a major plot point at the end so I will not spoil it.) When it does as with the eldest daughter Yang Kuei-mei’s Christian character Jia-jen and her clumsy but burdgeoning relationship with a gym instructor or Chu’s friendship with Old Wen this is a wonderful film. A movie I should have seen years ago.

This was remade in 2001 as Tortilla Soup.

I did not realize until today that the MGM R1 was OOP. I hope this gets picked up by Criterion. This probably has one of the more misleading taglines on the cover “It’s hard to tell where sex stops and food begins.” It is also probably best not to read the box cover either (must learn to stop doing that) because it gives away too much information.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation (1994)

Everything about this is bad, everything down to the fucking font used for the opening credits. First of all, it has no business being called Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Yes - there's a chainsaw - but there certainly isn't a massacre! In fact, I don't recall anyone getting killed with one.

The guy playing Leatherface never shuts the fuck up. Seriously, he screams more than the people he's chasing. Everyone else is terrible, too - including McConaughey - and that's hardly surprising, but he does seem to be the only one enjoying himself.

Dialogue? A bunch of non-actors walking around spewing words could hardly be considered dialogue. Oh yeah, and there's some crap about crossdressing and aliens or Illuminati or something...

Secret Executioner

Judge Dredd (1995)

I don't care what people say about it being terrible or dreadful (no pun intended), I really like this film. Some fun no-brainer entertainment, just what I needed lately (haven't had that in ages except for Expendables 3 which I also enjoyed alot). And Sly is damn badass as Dredd. :cool:

Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation (1994)

Everything about this is bad, everything down to the fucking font used for the opening credits. First of all, it has no business being called Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Yes - there's a chainsaw - but there certainly isn't a massacre! In fact, I don't recall anyone getting killed with one.

The guy playing Leatherface never shuts the fuck up. Seriously, he screams more than the people he's chasing. Everyone else is terrible, too - including McConaughey - and that's hardly surprising, but he does seem to be the only one enjoying himself.

Dialogue? A bunch of non-actors walking around spewing words could hardly be considered dialogue. Oh yeah, and there's some crap about crossdressing and aliens or Illuminati or something...

Yeah, I have to agree. It is sad that Kim Henkel, who co-wrote the original 1974 film with Tobe Hooper, made this one. The only thing it had to go for are three cameos in the final scene.

A cop talking to Renee Zellweger is played by John Dugan, who played the Grandfather in both the original film and the 2013 reboot/sequel. The patient on a gurney is the late Marilyn Burns, who got an anonymous credit in the film. The orderly pushing said gurney is the late Paul A. Partain, who played the wheelchair bound Franklin in the 1974 original.

Other than that...I couldn't stand it!

masterofoneinchpunch

Some comments and small spoilers (third paragraph):

A Simple Life (2012: Ann Hui: Hong Kong)

If I happened to have viewed this on time it would have been in my top 10 movies of 2012. I have only seen a few Ann Hui movies, something I hope to remedy in the near future, and her July Rhapsody was in my top 50 Hong Kong movies of all-time. But her reputation is quite large within Hong Kong critic circles and has been expanding over the years. This film seems to have done more for her reputation with western critics than any of her previous movies.

It is a moving tale about the interdependence of Roger Leung (Andy Lau) and his amah Ah Tao (Deannie Yip Tak-han: The Owl and Dumbo). Ah Tao has taken care of Leung and his family (who have moved on elsewhere including immigrating to the United States) for several decades. Leung has relied on her all of his life. But she has had a stroke, not a completely debilitating one, but one where she expects to get back 80 percent of her strength. Instead of relying on Leung she goes to an elderly home (reminding me of the phrase of Mike’s Dad in the tv show The Middle “I don’t wanna be a bother.”) There is mention of the juxtaposition in the film because Ah Tao had taken care of Leung through his heart issues and now Ah Tao needs taken care of. But it is not a complete juxtaposition because Ah Tao will not allow herself to be a burden to Roger (and he might not be capable of taking care of her.)

There is an interesting and effective use of ellipses similar to the use of Jane Campion’s use in An Angel at my Table. Sometimes it is startling as in the second stroke here. But we are given enough information to understand what has happened and at that point more scenes would have been repeating unnecessary information. The second stroke was foreshadowed in several statements throughout the film so it was expected.

There are a lot of cameos here. The most interesting are Sammo Hung and Tsui Hark pretty much playing themselves. I can easily see Tsui use that tactic for dealing with Mainland budget money he describes in this film.

The acting between Andy Lau and Deannie Yip is superb. It is a touching symbiotic relationship. Ann Hui’s cinematic direction is quite good and an underrated facet of hers. She captures all facets of the nursing home in a realistic style and yet intriguing in the camera work with its composition and often use of reflecting light and objects in the foreground. It is as superlative movie.

David Bordwell on A Simple Life (some spoilers).

Roger Ebert’s Review.

In Film Comment May/June 2014 Grady Hendrix article “Milestones list: Key Hong Kong Movies 1996 – 2013”

Secret Executioner

Great essay, masterofoneinchpunch. :smile:

I recall seeing A Simple LiFe at the theater about a year ago (maybe a bit more, it was during the summer of 2013) and I have to say it is one of the very best movies I saw that year. It was a very touching story with some light funny moments, but one really moving ending TBH. And the part where you have Sammo, Tsui Hark and co. appearing as themselves (Roger Leung is an actor and he takes Ah Tao out to a premiere of his latest film or something at a point, hence why we have cameos by several big names of HK cinema as themselves) is a nice little bonus for any Asian cinema fan.

Overall a very nice movie I'd recommend to people who enjoy HK cinema, and I'm glad someone else brought it up and discussed it.

masterofoneinchpunch
Great essay, masterofoneinchpunch. :smile:

I recall seeing A Simple LiFe at the theater about a year ago (maybe a bit more, it was during the summer of 2013) and I have to say it is one of the very best movies I saw that year. It was a very touching story with some light funny moments, but one really moving ending TBH. And the part where you have Sammo, Tsui Hark and co. appearing as themselves (Roger Leung is an actor and he takes Ah Tao out to a premiere of his latest film or something at a point, hence why we have cameos by several big names of HK cinema as themselves) is a nice little bonus for any Asian cinema fan.

Overall a very nice movie I'd recommend to people who enjoy HK cinema, and I'm glad someone else brought it up and discussed it.

Thanks. An underrated film (so far) it will be interesting to see if the reputation rises over the upcoming years and where will it be within her oeuvre. There are so many cameos during that one scene including the one that suprised me the most with Raymond Chow.

One of the more moving films I've seen since Ocean's Heaven. I found it interesting to read how much Ebert liked it (though Hui's style is more toward Ebert's critical aesthetics so I'm not completely surprised.) He has not reviewed that many HK (or even Mainland) films and sometimes analyzes them poorly (I have a list of links of all the HK films he has reviewed if anyone is interested.)

Unfortunately that film did not come to the theater around here (we don't get many HK/China/Japanese/Vietnamese/etc... films around here. The one arthouse theater here tends to play American Independent/documentaries/some European.) I had to purchase the DVD from Amazon as it also never sold around here either (another reason I got to the film late.)

masterofoneinchpunch

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!”

Ghostbusters (1984: Ivan Reitman):

I had originally seen this in 1984. I was a young tyke, but I watched it with a friend and his older brother at Vintage Faire Theater (which is now a Dick’s Sporting Good’s store.) I had enjoyed it quite a bit, but their response was it was not violent enough. Apparently the years of slasher film viewings had inured them and/or else they were just idiots. But I loved it. I saw the sequel, the cartoon show and had seen the first movie countless times on TV, VHS and DVD (and the awesome Ivan Reitman and Harold Ramis commentary) over the years. So when it came back to the theater 30 years later I had to see it again. Discussing with several of my friends it seemed to induce an ambivalent response or at worst “why did you go see that in the theater?” Regardless, whether nostalgia or nothing else to see at the time I went and rewatched it. The theater had only two other guys, much older than myself, in it so that was nice as well. I love when you get the theater to yourself or mostly to yourself and there is no cell phones, no screens lighting up, screaming kids running up and down the staircases or smelly smelly people near you.

Of course there was nothing in the film I did not remember. Which sometimes leads me to drift my conscious away from the film itself. I started thinking about how I know a few scenes like the Succubus dream did not appear on TV. How it is easier to notice on the big screen is the product placement. This got me to thinking that everyone seems to be drinking Coca-Cola and Budweiser. I like how the cans are perfectly placed so you can see the label. Check out the several Stay Puft references throughout the movie. I also noticed that Dan Ackroyd has gained a bit of weight over the years. Of course some thought was given about the difference between the mostly optical special effects of then and the CGI-laden special effects of today. But as I wax existentially about how time has changed since this movie first came out I snap back into enjoying the one-liners that I have often quoted over the years.

What can I write about the film that has not already been written? Probably nothing (if I expand this semi-review I will certainly rework this paragraph and add a few more), though I just now noticed that both Kasems (Casey and Jean) and in this film. I am not sure how much objective analysis I could give this either. I cannot even properly imagine how John Belushi would have been in this, as originally intended (nor John Candy), as I am too familiar with the characters. I am sure he would have fit it, made the film more manic and with a different set of laughs. This film has been a favorite of mine over the years though I am a little tired of the Ray Parker Jr. song – something I had listened to Ad Nauseum throughout the 1980s. It has also given me the single best advice I had ever received: “… when someone asks you if you're a god, you say YES!” This has saved me countless times.

With Harold Ramis gone I really do not want to see a remake of this. I was hoping there was going to be a third over the years, but regardless of the rumors it never happened – something I hope does not happen with the Hellboy series. This was released at a perfect time for me in my early moving going years. I would hope Hollywood would not try replicate this. But if they attempted to remake Psycho then I do not put it past them to remake anything.

36 Things We Learned From the ‘Ghostbusters’ Commentary Track (FilmSchoolRejects: Aug. 9, 2011)

Secret Executioner

Damn, that's some devotion. :tongue:

I often heard about these films and the animated spin-offs (as from what I know there have been at least 2 or 3 different animated series), but I've never seen anything Ghostbusters-related. Guess I'm missing out.

Secret Executioner

The Twelve Tasks Of Asterix (Les 12 Travaux d'Astérix, 1976)

picture.php?albumid=244&pictureid=7311

While I hadn't seen this film in a long time, I thought I still remembered it fairly well, but I realized watching it tonight that I actually remembered not just how the story went, the characters encountered or the tasks themselves, but also next to every single line of the French dub of this 78-minute film (the DVD I have also has an English dub, but it's really not that great and I don't think I'll be able to sit through it, in spite of the novelty it would be). Guess it must have to do with it being one of the first movies I've seen in my life (along with being one of the films I must have watched the most as a kid cause I freakin' loved it). I must have seen it for the first time at 4 or 5, which led me (thanks to the idea behind these "tasks") to know of Hercules and his tasks at such a young age (yup, I could name each of the tasks of Hercules while I was still learning how to read and how to write).

I'd be into writting a review for this one, though I don't know where it would fit - perhaps in my thread from the Review forum ? (which reminds me I'm supposed to be writing a review of another big childhood favorite of mine, which is the 1968 animated film Asterix And Cleopatra)

Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure..watched it for the umpteenth time. This is clearly one of those movies I can never get sick of watching. Rumors are abounding that a 3rd film is in development with Alex Winter and Keanu Reeves having met with the characters' creators, Ed Solomon and Chris Matheson, about how to go about bringing them back to the screen.

Caveman...Definitely love this film. Ringo Starr is the misfit of a caveman bunch who forms his own tribe after an accident with Dennis Quaid forces them to no longer be hunched over but standing straight! John Matuszak (the future "Sloth" of the Goonies) is the big bad baddie who sometimes gets himself in some bad situations. Barbara Bach (Ringo's wife) is the object of Ringo's desires. The funniest character though is Evan Kim's Nook, who translates into actual English while the rest of the dialogue is caveman talk.

The best scene of the film IMO, the misfits are missing pint-sized member Ta and they go through a heaping pile of dinosaur poop. Ta comes out all relieved...

Ta: Doo Doo!! Hahahaha!

Atouk (Ringo's character): Caca!

Nook: (looks down at his hands, looks up) Shit!

Secret Executioner
Caveman...Definitely love this film. Ringo Starr is the misfit of a caveman bunch who forms his own tribe after an accident with Dennis Quaid forces them to no longer be hunched over but standing straight! John Matuszak (the future "Sloth" of the Goonies) is the big bad baddie who sometimes gets himself in some bad situations. Barbara Bach (Ringo's wife) is the object of Ringo's desires. The funniest character though is Evan Kim's Nook, who translates into actual English while the rest of the dialogue is caveman talk.

The best scene of the film IMO, the misfits are missing pint-sized member Ta and they go through a heaping pile of dinosaur poop. Ta comes out all relieved...

Ta: Doo Doo!! Hahahaha!

Atouk (Ringo's character): Caca!

Nook: (looks down at his hands, looks up) Shit!

OMG, looks like the kind of comedy I could be into. :tongue:

masterofoneinchpunch

I have seen Caveman a couple of times as well (once on VHS and once on DVD).

Morgoth had recommended this to me and I had been wanting to see this for a while. So I had to right a mini-review.

Nebraska (2013: Alexander Payne) ***½/****

When money is perceived to have been won, it seems that past friends and family are out to collect perceived debts. There is definitely some truth to that. It reminds me of when people remember what they have lent but forget what has been borrowed (even non-monetarily.) In many ways Woody Grant (Bruce Dern) was lucky to have Kate Grant (June Squibb in a crass but wonderfully done performance.) At first you think he might have been set to drink because of her, but you learn that he always drank (nothing much else to do) and the Korean War and a particular event exacerbated the problem. But she looks out for him. It is a shrill manner full of candor, but it is there. You find out that Grant does not say no to help and has done quite a bit of free work to his relatives and family. But sense they had lent him money in the past they are now expecting it back, especially from his former partner Ed Pegram (Stacy Keach) who might or might not still have his damn compressor he “borrowed” over a decade ago. Kate though will have none of that. She has quite an impressive scene where she is like a tiny pit bull when she confronts the relatives when they try to get money out of Woody.

A letter started all of this. It is one of those chain letters promising you a potential windfall as long as you just show up or subscribe to some magazines. Woody is expecting the money upon his arrival in Lincoln Nebraska, but he has to find a way there. He will walk if necessary. He wants a new truck and probably a sense of importance that was lacking in his life. Since he is steadfast on going on this quixotic journey his son David (Will Forte) offers to take him against what his brother and mother think is a bad idea. It is going to be more trouble than even he realizes too. But it leads on a subgenre “road trip” film where family members reunite, a small town finds a new hero (even if it is erroneous) and a variety of mishaps are met along the way (always expected in a “road trip” movie.)

I am so used to black and white films that ultimately I did not think about its use here. I probably should have paid more attention to the chiaroscuro, I was paying more attention to the performances and story, but the mood of it works well. I do wonder what the effect would have been seeing it in color, or even if it mattered ultimately since the acting of Dern, Keach and Squibb dominates. All three are portrayed in depth and even the antagonist Keach shows his moments of humanity (which in my opinion the punching scene, while crowd-pleasing, was probably not necessary.)

It is a funny film, mostly based on situational humor and the languid patter of the Grant family. Some of the scenes with the Grants remind me exactly of the male Hecks in The Middle (especially with the male Hecks just sitting around watching football; also some of the interactions are awfully familiar with Big Mike’s (John Cullum) few episodes.) The ending, while somewhat obvious so do not expect a Safety Not Guaranteed (no idea if any of you have seen this, but I do recommend it for those who like indie films) type ending, fits. I expect fans of Alexander Payne will want or have seen this. His Election and About Schmidt (both I recommend) take place in Nebraska as well.

Nominated for six Oscars including Best Picture. While I have finished all the Oscar winners for Best Picture, I have been slowly working on the nominated films.

I have seen 67 2013 films and I think this will probably end up among the top 10 of that year (right now, always more to watch so I might always change my order.)

Roger Ebert.com review

Revisited an old favorite of mine:

Summer Job - 1980's teensploitation film about a group working at a tennis resort in Florida. I have to say this was one of the more superior B-movies of the genre because of the characters. There was the supervisor, who was working her last summer at the resort (played by King of the Kickboxers co-star Sherrie Rose) and then there were the workers.

There's the two guys competing for the supervisor (even though she already had a bf that you would never see but she constantly talks to him), the snotty niece of the resort owner who thinks she's better than everyone else, the cowboy who is desperately in love with the snotty one, the rich b***h, the desperate girl, the tubby guy, the nerdy and scared of STD guy (funniest guy in the film IMO), and the surfer girl.

These types of films are a dime a dozen for the 80s, but what I like is that it is not a complete sexfest, but it is about friendships, romance, and redemption when they are constantly screwing up because one decides to cause major trouble.

The film has an appearance by the now-defunct OrKestra, an offshoot band from Electric Light Orchestra.

Ride Along - laughed my butt off through the film thanks to Kevin Hart's performance as wannabe cop Ben, who wants to marry Angela, the sister of tough cop James, played by Ice Cube. Noon Orsatti and Larnell Stovall were the stunt coordinators and big kudos go out to them for taking full advantage of Hart's physical comedy style. As for the big baddie, that was a surprise to me :)

Kevin Hart: Let Me Explain - Hart goes to Madison Square Garden for a concert movie, but it starts with a tour in Canada and Europe, where thanks to YouTube, his shows in Toronto, Oslo, Stockholm, Amsterdam, and London were all sold out! Then comes the MSG show and I almost fell off the couch a few times laughing so hard.

The Colony - A post apocalyptic film starring Kevin Zegers of AIR BUD and Laurence Fishburne as survivors who take on a band of feral psychopaths in the middle of a major winter storm. It's pretty intense at times, sometimes it dragged, but overall a decent effort.

World War Z: Unrated Edition - Wow! That's all I can say...within the first ten minutes, all hell literally breaks loose and I have to say I loved it!

masterofoneinchpunch

Godzilla Raids Again (1955: Motoyoshi Oda) Japan

I watched both versions of Godzilla Raids Again. Now the English language version, originally released as Gigantis, The Fire Monster, is inferior, but I don't think it is as bad as some say it is (I believe a lot of reviews just parrot the opening statements of the commentary from Steve Ryfle). I think the gap between those two versions are much closer than say the English and Japanese language version of Gojira/Godzilla. Yes the music on the English version is a mish-mash; the narration does get too talkative and some of the voices, especially Kobayashi is bad. But to be fair I like Keye Luke's narration overall. Not that much is missing from the original film. The dubs are for the most part not that bad and they match the lip movements decently. George Takei (Star Trek: Sulu) did several voices in the film and I believe I could pick out at least one of them.

But I think the biggest issue is that the Japanese film is a step down from the original. It does not have the sagacious direction of Ishirô Honda, the nuclear metaphors are gone, there is not real urgency in the relationships (no triangle relationship as in the first and it was harder for me to get into the characters) and some of the kaiju fight scenes are really undercranked. Now this is the first time you see a fight between men in monster suits with the new monster here (technically it is also a new gojira as well) Anguirus another prehistoric creature. The gojira monster suit has the worst teeth of a monster I have ever seen as they resemble the worst buck teeth you have ever seen from a gigantic monster (probably a little hard to get braces for them.)

If you have the DVD release of this check out the information and fun documentary Art of Suit Acting by Ed Godziszewski where you get to see the main men behind the costumes. I have not finished the commentary yet, but so far it was an interesting listen.

Glengarry Glen Ross A fantastic film with some of the best dialogue you'll ever hear delivered by some of the best actors ever - what other film has Al Pacino, Ed Harris, Kevin Spacey, Jack Lemmon and Alan Arkin? Also props to Alec Baldwin for one of the best deliveries of a monologue I've ever heard in a film. Basically if you're in the mood for a good 'talk' film, this is for you. Incidentally could anyone recommend the best David Mamet film(s) aside from this one? I've just ordered Redbelt because I couldn't resist a combination of Mamet dialogue and martial arts, even if there isn't that much action in it.

Just completed the Battlestar Galactica series (for the second time on DVD; third overall).

Took about two years to watch from start to finish. A great show but such a bittersweet ending to it all.

Thinking of working on the X-Files next. Have 8 seasons of it but ...

have barely scratched the surface. This will probably take me another 2 years (lol)....

7+-+Daybreak.png

masterofoneinchpunch
Glengarry Glen Ross A fantastic film with some of the best dialogue you'll ever hear delivered by some of the best actors ever - what other film has Al Pacino, Ed Harris, Kevin Spacey, Jack Lemmon and Alan Arkin? Also props to Alec Baldwin for one of the best deliveries of a monologue I've ever heard in a film. Basically if you're in the mood for a good 'talk' film, this is for you. Incidentally could anyone recommend the best David Mamet film(s) aside from this one? I've just ordered Redbelt because I couldn't resist a combination of Mamet dialogue and martial arts, even if there isn't that much action in it.

Glengarry Glen Ross is a fine film. Mamet has quite a good ear for dialogue and situations.

As a director check out his first film (on Criterion) House of Games. While the dialogue is quite good, the plot really sales it, especially if you are into confidence artists. I have some issues with one performance, but aside quite a good movie.

Him as a writer I really like The Verdict, though Paul Newman's performance is the best aspect of that film.