What ELSE (other than KUNG FU) has everyone been watching?

Guest kenichiku

This scene is worth the price alone! :wink:

Chin Yuet Sang dancing and spilling soup everywhere always makes me chuckle.

watch?v=_KwBZnPzwHc

Here's where sammo got it from - We all know Jackie was in to Charlie Chaplin, so it appears was Sammo...

ww5pb-z0o0I

masterofoneinchpunch
Here's where sammo got it from - We all know Jackie was in to Charlie Chaplin, so it appears was Sammo...

ww5pb-z0o0I

And Chaplin (while doing it better) got it from a throwaway Roscoe Arbuckle gag ...

x6fxydAUrWc

Is this movie 'Carry on Pickpocket? I never heard of it being under that title before.

And I beg to differ with your opinion, sorry. I think it is a very good film. Particularly the comedy aspect and Richard Ng was gold with his role as an inept policeman. Also, the action - for it's time (1982) was exceptional. I fully recommend this film to anyone who's into Hong Kong movies.

Yes, that is the title. I didn't remember it correctly.

Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters - based on the second book of Rick Riordan's demi-god series, this was actually a fun installment that has Percy, Grover, and Annabeth (this time actually having the blonde hair as in the book) searching for the Golden Fleece before the revenge seeking Luke finds it to revive his grandfather Cronos. Nice cameos by Nathan Fillion (as Hermes, dressed as a postal worker) and Sean Bean (returning as Zeus). Action scenes were nicely done as well. Some shocking twists at the end but worked out quite well IMO.

Wheat Thin Man

Just watched Beyond Outrage (and rewatched the original Outrage a few days ago as well). I think this one was just as good or even better than the first.

Secret Executioner

Sammo's bun dance is hilarious - and I think the background music fits perfectlty. Somehow (at the risk of sounding like an heretic), I find it funnier than Chaplin's - had no idea that there had been a version (more like a prototype) before Chaplin did this though.

Now for something completely different: today, I saw a film called Like An Open Sky - a French documentary film about a place in France (actually, it seems to be between France and Belgium) for "special" kids.

The film kind of follows the life there for some time, the way the children evolve (focusing essentially on 3 or 4 of them, each having a different condition), what the staff says about the changes and the conditions... Really well-done and also very touching.

Trailer:

WgCfIgHv3ws

The Ghost Face Killah

True Detective on HBO.

I was a big fan of the sopranos, the wire, breaking bad etc.

Just started watching, the first episode plays out like a movie, great acting. It kind of reminds me of a No Country for Old Men vibe.

slow poster

Just watched this seasons last episode of Justified. I love that show so much that I don't no what to do with myself until it returns next year.

Machete Kills (USA, 2013) [DCP] – 2/5

Poor sequel completely misses the point. These types of films are meant to be so bold, arrogant and exploitative that they automatically become slightly humorous, yet cool because of their ballsiness. Machete Kills is so ridiculously over-the-top that it resembles a mixture of Superman and a Leslie Nielsen movie. Cutting down on violence and sex further hurts the movie and makes it nothing but a lame joke that's unlikely to amuse exploitation fans and won’t be understood by mainstream audiences. Still, it must be admitted that the film is not really boring with its train wreck appeal and all the cool actors.

The World’s End (UK, 2013) [DCP] – 2.5/5

An alright sci-fi / drinking comedy. Fun idea and some good jokes, but I can’t help to think that Edgar Wright and Simon Pegg are some of the most over-rated filmmakers out there. They make fun of flashy Hollywood action films by editing, filming and scoring their own movies in the exact same way. As the joke grows old, their films stop being a parodies and become what they're supposed to make fun of. Or perhaps they really do think that's great cinema?

Blue is the Warmest Colour (France, 2013) [bD] – 4/5

Excellent French drama loses some its bite during the middle third when the focus drifts from the two leading characters to their friends and family members, but improves again towards the end. Adèle Exarchopoulos is phenomenally good in the lead role, and director Abdellatif Kechiche’s natural approach is quite impressive. The much talked about sex scenes aren’t really all that much to talk about.

Rare Exports (Finland, 2010) [Love Hotel VoD] – 3/5

Basically had to re-watch this just for the experience because Finnish movie in a love hotel was such a surreal thing. A relatively fun film with great concept and good balance between family fantasy and horror, though some of the acting (the second kid, and the foreigner) and the epic child hero stuff toward the end are downright embarrassing.

Bobo Frituras (Spain, 2013) [Yubari Fanta] – 2/5

Spanish short film tries to be a modern version of The Toxic Avenger. Some fun ideas and gruesome make-up effects, but gore is depressing CGI mess. The film ends before it really starts to irritate, though, leaving a slightly positive aftertaste.

Rush (USA, 2013) [DCP] – 3.5/5

Enjoyable racing drama with good characters, good actors and all-around good technical execution. Racing scenes also well done, without silly over-the-top crashes every five minutes. Also respect for filming the movie in soft R. Toning down language a bit and cutting a few seconds here and there could have made it a pg-13 film easily, but it feels much more natural when frustrated people are allowed to say a few fucks, and fucking people are allowed to be naked for a few seconds without strategically placed furniture.

Secret Executioner

Isn't Rush based on a true story ? That would explain the realism.

The Brave And The Bold, a DVD release from the Justice League TV animated series. Contains 2 story arcs:

"The Brave And The Bold" (a Flash/GL team-up against Gorilla Grodd in the ape's debut in that cartoon)

"Injustice League" (Lex Luthor - now officially known as a crook - gathers supervillains in an attempt to destroy the league)

Isn't Rush based on a true story ? That would explain the realism.

Yes, though that's rarely a guarantee of realism. Godzilla is also based on a true story (Chuck Norris' first Tokyo trip) :tongue:

Red 2 - I liked this sequel to the film about retired agents back in action. John Malkovich kept making me laugh and Byung-Hun Lee made a good addition as a hitman out to seek revenge against Bruce Willis' character. Nice little twists towards the end...definitely a pleasing time-waster.

Red Hook Summer - Spike Lee's recent "joint" that serves a semi-sequel to his 1988 film Do the Right Thing. Lee reprises his role of Mookie from that film, but it's more of an extended cameo while the focus of the story is a kid from Atlanta who spends the summer in the Red Hook section of Brooklyn with his preaching granddad, a pastor. He doesn't like the area until he befriends a young asthmatic girl who keeps him on his toes. Definitely Lee-ish in production values (he casted mainly newcomers and some of his usual peeps) and it's a nice coming of age tale that comes with a shocking surprise at the end.

Secret Executioner

Godzilla (USA, 2014)

See the main thread.

Three Sisters (China, 2012)

The newest Wang Bing movie - and as usualy, it's not very entertaining nor a very bright picture (Wang Bing seems to be a sort of anti-propaganda/anti-official vision director, showing the dark/hidden side of his country, whether it be people who are left behind by the government or the victims of the "Cultural Revolutions" under Mao's ruling - I wonder how the government feel about his works TBH because he's been active for some time now).

Back to the movie: it shows the life in a small village in Yunnan (the focus being essentially 3 little girls and their relatives, hence the title) - it gets a bit boring at times (it goes on for 2 and a half hours, with no narration or anything, just titles telling who the people are, giving their name and their relation to the girls as well as their age), but overall, it delivers a very different vision of China than the usual expanding power/leading economy image you see everywhere in the media - actually, if China is getting through its industrial revolution nowadays, I'd say (a comparison that occured to me while seeing the movie, so take it as "the opinion of some guy on the Internet" and not as any valid critical or sociological analysis) that this film is somewhat the Chinese equivalent to the Charles Dickens or the Emile Zola novels depicting the worst off in England or in France during these countries' industrial revolutions (except they aren't made up characters featured in a story like the characters seen in Dickens' or Zola's works , but actual people living like this and who were filmed in their every day life... in 2010/2011).

Amazing Spiderman 2 (USA, 2014)

See the main thread.

Gamera vs Gaos (Japan, 1967)

A quite campy Kaiju Eiga film. The lead human (some little kid) is annoying as hell in the English dub and you gotta love the fact that the little kid and some construction workers are more apt to make observations and set operations against the monsters than a bunch of scientists and the military... :rolleyes: On the bright side, the monsters battles are fun and Gaos looks quite nice.

Going to post reviews of these two this weekend on my non-MA film blog:

Thor: The Dark World (Alan Taylor, 2013)

12 Rounds 2: Reloaded (Roel Reine, 2013)

- The Man from Nowhere (2010) ★★★★★

- Bedevilled (2010) ★★★★

- Mother (2009) ★★★★

- Memories of Murder ★★★

- I Saw the Devil (2010) ★★★

Wheat Thin Man

Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Che Parts 1 and 2

Star Trek into Darkness

The Newsroom

I'd recommend them all except Star Trek, that was a huge let down in my opinion. I never liked the first one very much, so it wasn't a total surprise to me.

Return of the Living Dead - There's another must-see zombie film I can check off the list. This one was a lot of fun, alternating between black humor and an honest attempt to be scary, much like The Evil Dead. While there's a lot of bickering, most the characters were still likable and I never found myself wishing anyone of them would die a horrible, horrible death. I especially liked Frank and felt for him when he opted for suicide rather than zombiedom. I wish they had given Zombie Trash more to do. I also liked that zombiedom was apparently not transferred by bites (I assume Trash was zombiefied because she was butt naked when it started raining Trioxin on the cemetery), which balances out the fact that zombies are practically invincible.

One of my favorite moments was the final phone conversation with the military officer, who was extremely calm and understanding and professional despite his eventual actions. Also, my short story teacher once told us that in literature, you never show the other side of a phone conversation. I'm glad the film did the same thing, so we don't know what Burt was saying, but can imagine it from the Colonel's responses.

False Blonde (Loura Falsa) - Brazilian film about a young female factory worker who struggles to support her and her ex-con father. She's an active club-hopper by night and ends up hooking up with not one, but two famous singers, both of whom end up being more interested in her body (which we will have seen practically all of by the time the film ends--the penultimate scene is of the main actress in the buff getting into bed with an adolescent boy) than in anything resembling a meaningful relationship. I'm not sure if the film is more of a commentary on the naïveté of young lower class women or on how male Brazilian stars (or Brazilian men in general) objectify women. The latter interpretation is especially interesting considering that one of the stars was played by Cauã Raymond, who was recently involved in a much-publicized scandal in which he left his actress/model wife, Grazielle Massafera, for actress/model/sex symbol Isis Valverde, only to try to reconcile with the former after the latter was almost crippled for life in a car accident.

Return of the Living Dead Part 2 is even more fun!

I think you're only person I've seen say that. Fascinating.

I'm now on my third "binge" of movie-watching this year. The first one was "Watch as many Van Damme films as you can in six days." The second one was the giant monster marathon that started around early February and went on until the release of Godzilla. Now it's time to watch all the films that I recorded onto the cable box so that I can free up some space. First we had Return of the Living Dead and Maximum Conviction. Let us move onto:

Swordsman of Siena - Sort of a light-hearted adventure romp (which looks like an Italian-French co-production) about an English swordsman (Stuart Granger) who's hired by a Spanish governor to protect his fiancée (the gorgeous Sylvia Koscina). Said Spaniard has actually forcefully taken over the city of Siena, and his fiancée is a noblewoman whose marriage would consolidate his power. Obviously the locals are opposed to the marriage, and there's a band of patriots known as the Gang of 10 who now have our swordsman on their hitlist. For the most part the film is a lot of fun to watch. The fencing sequences are expertly choreographed and presented with style, without ever becoming pretentious (I don't think pretentious swordplay existed in the 1960s). Granger is likable as the roguish, slightly-womanizing, and overconfident swordsman. My major gripe is that the climax is an obstacle-filled horse race instead of a rip-roaring sword fight, and the conflict following the race is resolved far too easily. I don't regret watching the film, though.

masterofoneinchpunch
... The fencing sequences are expertly choreographed and presented with style, without ever becoming pretentious (I don't think pretentious swordplay existed in the 1960s). ...

I'm curious what do you consider pretentious swordplay? Also do you like any of the older swordplay films (involving Douglas Fairbanks, Errol Flynn, Basil Rathbone -- who was a very good fencer, Tyrone Power etc...)?