What ELSE (other than KUNG FU) has everyone been watching?

Guest kenichiku

Secret Executioner
Heroes of Horror set from Image has several biographies including Lon Chaney Jr., Vincent Price, Boris Karloff, Peter Lorre.

These sound nice.

I have not seen that serial (I see VCI put it out here in a non-public domain, I'll have to pick up one of these days.)

There's a company over here (I'm from France) called Bach Films that has and still keeps releasing various serials on DVD. Their catalogue in that field is really impressive, they have a lot of material from 1935-1950 - essentially Universal or Republic Pictures productions such as the various Flash Gordon (Buster Crabbe) or Dick Tracy (Ralph Byrd) serials (I only have the first Flash Gordon serial and it's really nice), Adventures Of Captain Marvel (based on the Fawcett Comics superhero)... They even have one called The Return Of Chandu that sees Bela Lugosi as the good guy - the only time he would be.

Speaking of Dick Tracy - and since we mentionned Boris Karloff - I also have some spin-off Dick Tracy movies (released by the same company) and one of them - a 1947 film called Dick Tracy Meets Gruesome, also starring Ralph Byrd - has Boris Karloff as the main villain.

For the record, the character played by Karloff passes out in a taxi cab due to some chemical he inhaled and as the driver of the cab mentions the incident to the police, he states the guy looked like Dr. Frankenstein's monster.

I have seen a couple of the Johnny Weissmuller Tarzan films, but still have several to go. It is interesting that Fearless (with Buster Crabbe) was originally a full 12 part serial (which a few reviewers states as lost.)

The Tarzan the Fearless DVD is actually a bunch of episodes put together as a sort of film, but it's naturally very incomplete. At least the guys from Bach Films (who released this) were honest and mentionned it's actually pieces from a serial on the back cover.

Secret Executioner

Started watching that Tarzan the Fearless DVD, I'm about half-way through.

The print used was in pretty bad condition, the sound and video are of pretty bad quality. But it's watchable, if you aren't too demanding. Maybe I'll write a more complete review of this in case some people were interested.

Secret Executioner

Finished Tarzan the Fearless. The "second part" is more interesting than the first one (which I watched yesterday): more stuff occurs, there is more action, more suspense... The plot is clearly developping in what seems to be episodes #3 and 4 (since the 1 hour and 27 minutes of footage featured on this DVD are the first 4 episodes of the serial).

The Toxic Avenger (USA, 1984) – 2/5

Classic Troma film is an amateurish comedy with a couple of relatively mild splatter effects. It has a nice nostalgic aura to it, but as a trash/exploitation movie it’s neither very ballsy nor well executed. Could use losing 20 minutes from its running time. Best suited for children who can overlook the flaws and find the violence shocking.

I remember when I was 10 or 11 and my friend spoke highly of the film. I can imagine for an elementary school student it must have been the coolest “forbidden” movie ever.

This is perhaps one of my all-time favorite cult films...I have seen every installment of the series (he goes to Japan in Part 2...see part 4 for the more insane violence! ). The effects in the original are quite funny...the "head-crush" scene (this was in the first 25 minutes folks) was actually a watermelon with a wig on it filled with cranberry juice :D

And for those who missed it...Michael Jai White actually made his film debut in THE TOXIC AVENGER PART 2

http://www.kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20351

masterofoneinchpunch

The Gorgon (1964: Terence Fisher):

I cannot have an October without at least watching at least one Hammer horror film. Add in the pairing of Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing with the direction of Terence Fisher and I was wondering why it took so long to finally get to this. Unfortunately there is not much screen time between the two and Lee actually arrives quite late in the film.

The film owes much more to The Wolfman than Greek legend (they actually get the Gorgon sisters, other than Medusa, names wrong, Megaera is one of the Furies). Here is the full moon which sets off the evil events to follow. It ends up being pretty obvious who the Gorgon is, though the townspeople are not particularly intelligent.

The Gorgon snake hair prosthetic is unfortunately pretty bad. I think this could have been compensated with less camerawork focusing on the head, maybe not even showing it at all. Anything to obscure the rubber snakes on her head.

A lower end Hammer, but still watchable for the inimitable Lee and Cushing. The set design is quite good as well. I would have preferred to see a more original plot and more of Lee as well.

masterofoneinchpunch

Revenge is a dish best served cold! (or apparently with poodles)

Theater of Blood (1973: Douglas Hickox)

There was going to be at least one Vincent Price film seen this month. I was surprised by how much I liked this one. Mix in Shakespeare with a completely mad stage actor whose revenge is beset on the lowly satyrs who have criticized his titan performances in the past. A self-reflexive performance from Price where he gets to ham it up even more than usual, has a critique on critics and is criticized himself. He also gets to perform vast amount of Shakespearean lines and scenarios.

Edward Kendal Sheridan Lionheart (Price) is a thought to be deceased Shakespearean (the only plays he will perform in) actor who committed suicide because of his constant denigration by critics and the fact they failed to give him an award. But several years after his demise those critics who should have been born dogs and who brutalized his ego with scurrilous attacks on his acting are being dispatched of their mortal coil by methods in the bards plays -- ah the plays the thing. Those who call Lionheart a ham actor are made to eat their remarks by Lionhearts revenge with no bounds.

This movie has perfect ending lines. There are a few missteps with some of the events leading up to the finale, but overall a satisfactory black comedy horror. I was surprised on how gory it actually is. I am not sure if that was a detriment to it (film historian Leonard Maltin did not like that aspect in an otherwise praiseworthy review), but it certainly was not expected.

Price has had some great roles where he is an actor. For those who have not seen His Kind of Woman (1951) with Robert Mitchum and Jane Russell, I highly recommend that as well.

TibetanWhiteCrane

Shogun mini series... probably the fifth or sitxth time im watching this, and I never tire of it. It seems just as fresh and exciting with each re-watch. Has anyone ever seen the Japanese tv version, which was reportedly quite different?

masterofoneinchpunch

Witch From Nepal (1986: Tony Ching Sui-tung: Hong Kong): there had to be at least one Hong Kong “horror” film seen this month (though by the time I am actually writing it I did see another HK horror). This really is not a horror film, though there are zombies, but it is a mishmash of genres including travelogue, romance, horror, martial arts and comedy as well. I have no issue with pastiche if the composite works, but for me this felt rushed, schizophrenic and unpolished. I did like the director’s first film Duel to the Death (1983).

This is pre-A Better Tomorrow so Chow Yun-fat is not the superstar that he will be later that year. But his ability to remain steadfast in his acting no matter how bizarre the plot becomes is a testament to his acting.

The climatic sequence in Hong Kong is fun. I could have done without the very annoying love triangle with dominates the film though. The affair is so nonchalant that Chow’s character comes off more like a jerk than anything else for the way he treats his original girlfriend. This is not one I am recommending to anyone though I was surprised that it does have some decent reviews like John Charles in his The Hong Kong Filmography, 1977-1997.

masterofoneinchpunch

What is the law?

The Island of Dr. Moreau (1977: Don Taylor):

I had memories of watching this on TV as a young lad. This is another adaptation of H.G. Wells titular book. While I still prefer the older version Island of Lost Souls with Charles Laughton as the Doctor this has some good aspects too it. Burt Lancaster is particularly effective to me because he plays the Doctor with earnest and conviction. For me there is not much scarier than a scientist whose pushes aside his humanity akin to Hal 9000 in a search for biological truth. Michael York as the literally washed up sailor is good as the most human person on the island. John Chambers make-up work on the monsters here is often pointed as a highlight for the film. It is quite effective.

Some spoilers in this paragraph for the earlier film and this one: the ending is actually more shocking in the earlier Island of Lost Souls which leaves the doctor being vivisected. The relationship between Braddock and the Leopard women was explicit in the earlier film while it was hinted at in the later version. That added a sense of ambiguity which I did not mind. The cinematography was better in the original, though the on location shooting does help out with the atmosphere here. I like the human creations in both films.

Interesting fact for me: I just found out that the director Don Taylor was in Stalag 17 one of my favorite films of all-time.

I still have not seen the later Marlon Brando version. I am not sure when I will rectify that. Since the reviews were overly poor on that one I have never bought it nor really put it high up on my sci-fi horror watching list.

This is on the R1 MGM Midnite movie release. Every October I watch several from that series. I have already watched three this month.

Now off to the House of Pain.

masterofoneinchpunch
The Brando version is pretty awful, but strangely watchable in a 90's nostalgia kind of way.

I'm curious, but that curiosity has led me to many different awful cinematic experiences. I do like Brando, even if that movie gets mentioned as one of his worst.

I watched three short Vincent Price documentaries last night that came with the Vincent Price: MGM Scream Legends Collection (The Abominable Dr. Phibes / Tales of Terror / Theater of Blood / Madhouse / Witchfinder General / Dr. Phibes Rises Again / Twice Told Tales) set. I have now seen everything on there. A great set for those who like Vincent Price. The three extra docs were decent and were a little over an hour in total:

Vincent Price: Renaissance Man" - Documentary

"The Art of Fear" - Featurette

"Working with Vincent Price" - Featurette

I watched the pilot feature length episode of Fringe and one more episode. I thought the pilot was very good and looks like the show has a lot of potential with a very X-Files vibe to it. The next episode was very much giving those who missed the pilot a chance to catch up and join the show, not so good episode in my opinion.

I watched the pilot feature length episode of Fringe and one more episode. I thought the pilot was very good and looks like the show has a lot of potential with a very X-Files vibe to it. The next episode was very much giving those who missed the pilot a chance to catch up and join the show, not so good episode in my opinion.

Fringe is AWESOME. Like you said, it's like X-Files, but much more focused. You can tell they have it planned out seasons in advance.

Fringe is AWESOME. Like you said, it's like X-Files, but much more focused. You can tell they have it planned out seasons in advance.

That's good to hear ! I did worry about Fringe since it is from the makers of Lost and they clearly didn't have any kind of plan.

That's good to hear ! I did worry about Fringe since it is from the makers of Lost and they clearly didn't have any kind of plan.

I never watched Lost, but I hear it was a great show, ruined by the ending. Fringe is consistently good all the way through its five seasons and has a GOOD ending. The first three seasons are the best though. The last two are still good, but not quite at that high level of the first three. And again, the ending is really good, which makes it all worth it. You're in for a fun ride.

I never watched Lost, but I hear it was a great show, ruined by the ending. Fringe is consistently good all the way through its five seasons and has a GOOD ending. The first three seasons are the best though. The last two are still good, but not quite at that high level of the first three. And again, the ending is really good, which makes it all worth it. You're in for a fun ride.

I watched the first three or four series and clearly didn't know where it was going. I think a lot of people just stuck with it because they wanted to see it through but by the end as you say it had a terrible ending from everything I've read. so I'm glad I didn't stick with it.

masterofoneinchpunch

We’re Going to Eat You (1980: Tsui Hark: Hong Kong)

Luckily this ended up being more of a horror film than Witch From Nepal and luckily it was more interesting as well even if the result is mixed. The English title takes its name from the tagline of Zombi 2 (aka Zombie). This is Tsui Hark’s second film and this self-professed movie brat and graduate of film school (Southern Methodist University) is inspired by a plethora of genres and what results in his early films is pastiche. You have martial arts, horror, comedy, satire and even a Roger Corman influence. *

n]Detective 999 (Norman Chu: Bastard Swordsman) is chasing after a pickpocket Rolex (Melvin Wong) who is hiding on a remote island. The detective does not know that Rolex wants to leave that island because everyone there is insane and humans are considered a delicacy, especially outsiders who are easier to digest than family. The villagers are led by the chief (Eddy Ko: Sleeping Fist) who feigns sanity while trying to lead the Detective literally to the slaughterhouse.** Ko is an excellent martial artist and a supreme bad guy so I would watch this film just because of him.

While the film is schizophrenic in tone and script it does have a certain charm. Hark does not look highly on the film and critics such as Stephen Teo do not like it, but it has its violent charms. The fight scenes are fun (I am a Chu and Ko fan), though the gore is what I remember the most with one exception. I probably could have done without the giant cross-dressing male molester.

The ending is heartbreaking.

Occasionally from Tokyo Shock R1 releases I have issues. I had to buy a second copy of this film because my first copy worked until about 20 minutes left on the film (it was new.) Seriously, there is not much more annoying (DVD wise we are not talking about neighbors, relationships or spastic colons) than only having the last part of the film to watch and then you start getting pixalization and then the film just will not go further. Luckily the second copy worked and I was able to finish the movie.

* The Italian horror references are pretty easy to notice as well as the Tobe Hooper leatherface wearing antagonists (masks though also serve the very practical purpose of reusing your stuntmen). I just read an interview in Hong Kong Babylon by Fredrick Dannen and Barry Long where Tsui stated that Corman was also a big influence on this.

** For fun watch what happens to Ko at the end of Thundering Mantis. It is an interesting bit of coincidence. Too bad Leung Kar-yan (Beardy) was not in this film. On a side note Ko does not seem to live much in the films he is in.

Secret Executioner

Justice League: Flashpoint Paradox (DC Animated movie)

Nice to have a movie focused on Flash. That's one pretty violent and bloody flick, but what else would you expect in a film set in a parallel world with WWIII coming up and darker more brutal versions of classic DC superheroes ?

TibetanWhiteCrane

Return Engagement 1990

Never liked many Alan Tang movies, but over the years, this one grew on me, and now I really like it. Melodrama, triad action, heroic bloodhed gunplay... all good.

The Good, The Bad and the Beauty 1988

Frankie Chan directed action comedy, and one of his better directorial efforts. His usual blend of dark humor, gritty violence and canto comedy. Not much martial arts in here, more gunplay, which, even for a HK movie of this type, is pretty brutal at times. Cherie Chung is cute, and Kent Cheng is a fat perv. It's no Outlaw Brothers, but a decent timewaster.

A Moment of Romance II 1993

Another I had to warm to, mostly due to my love of the first one. Yeah, Aaron Kwok is no Andy Lau, but he's better here than in many of his other early films. At least Wu Chien Lin is back, and they switched the character dynamics of the two leads to keep it fresh. Triads, violence, motorcycles, canto ballads, you know... that old chestnut.

Fight Back to School 1991

Never a big Stephen Chow fan, but this is definitely one of the better and more accessible ones. Lots of funny stuff in here. I love the gag with the teachers constantly throwing the blackboard wiping sponge thingy at him, and as a cop he constantly jumps up and reach for his gun, that is not there. I think I like part 2 better, but this is still a fun flick.

TibetanWhiteCrane

Revisiting the Young and Dangerous series after many years, watching the first three, and the atrocious 90's fashion aside, I liked them better now. Especially 1 and 2. the third one is still pretty dire. Haven't got the last three, but I guess i'l get them at some point. To me, the prequel and the Sister 13 spin-off Portland Street Blues are still stronger movies.

TibetanWhiteCrane

Derek season 1

Brilliant show. I had to get use to Ricky's character, but by eps 3 I got it. Karl Pilkington kills it with every line he has. He may be a manc twat with a head like a fucking orange, but his performance here was awards worthy. Kerry Godliman is really good as the caretaker, and David Earle was distustingly hilarious. Actually, there wasn't a single weak link in the cast. All the old people, the side characters... all perfect. It had me choked up on more than one ocassion, and that is near impossible to do. Kudos to Gervais for another great series. Looking forward to season 2.

Secret Executioner

Seen recently:

The Batman vs. Dracula

A 2005 spin-off off the cartoon series The Batman. Not that great.

The Pebble And The Penguin

A 1995 Don Bluth movie. Pretty nice film, though not a masterpiece like An American Tail. Better than what the Nostalgia Critic makes it out to be.

Revisiting the Young and Dangerous series after many years, watching the first three, and the atrocious 90's fashion aside, I liked them better now. Especially 1 and 2. the third one is still pretty dire. Haven't got the last three, but I guess i'l get them at some point. To me, the prequel and the Sister 13 spin-off Portland Street Blues are still stronger movies.

There are a few other spinoffs:

Once Upon a Time in Triad Society - with Francis Ng's Kwan as the central character.

Those Were the Days - Jordan Chan's Chicken reuniting with his first true love..which explained his absence from Y&D 5

The Legendary Tai Fei - Anthony Wong's character learns he has a son, played by Jazz Lam, who plays Pou-Pan in the recent reboot.

I liked the final film in a way, Born to be King, because Sonny Chiba plays a Yakuza boss who becomes Chicken's father-in-law :D

"12 Years a Slave" - A film hasn't made me cry since "The Green Mile" but, by the end of this one, I was blubbering like a girl. Perfectly executed, superbly acted, beautiful and yet torturous and brutal. It has to be one of the most important films ever made, in my eyes.