What ELSE (other than KUNG FU) has everyone been watching?

Guest kenichiku

Guest Ivy Ling Po

Primal Fear - Richard Gere is really believable as a lawyer defending an altarboy accused of murdering an archbishop due to sexual abuse. Over two hours long but solid entertainment. The twist at the end is brilliant!

Guest KLSADAKO

Where's Officer Tuba- modern day film with Sammo Hung, Jacky Cheung and David Chiang. I enjoyed this film, it had some really funny moments! It was cool seeing Sammo fighting Hwang Jang Lee while Jacky Cheung fought Chang Yi in the film's finale! I only wish the Sammo fight with Hwang was longer!

Enchanting Shadow- I like this movie. It was kinda spooky and entertaining. Interesting to see a Shaw movie made in 1959.

Next up is Himalayan and Superpower:eek

Guest Ivy Ling Po

The Wedding Date - Debra Nessing & Dermot Mulroney shine in this romantic comedy. He's a gigolo she hired to save face when she faces her ex at her sister's wedding.

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

LAst weekend watched:

Infernal Affairs (8.5/10) good crime drama

City on Fire (7.5/10) felt it was a little overrated, but good.

On deck:

Throwdown

Samurai 1

Proud Youth

Guest kenichiku

Five Venoms **** (Steeplechase R1) – Wow, you guys were right about the dubbed nostalgia!

Blood Money **.5 (Brit R2) – Lo Lieh, Lee Van Cleef, Karen Yip; & those saucy bottom inspections

non-Shaws:

Derek Erh, One Night in Mongkok ****.5 (Theatrical) – HK film has matured after ‘Infernal Affairs’; Derek’s come far since his debut in ‘Death Duel’; Alex Fong, Lam Suet, Chin Kar Lok & Daniel Wu excel.

Itchy Heart **** (Tai Seng R0) - Lau Ching Wan has the 7 year itch; Carina Lau, both still got it w/the gorgeous young betties.

Michael Ritchie, Prime Cut (Paramount R1) **** - Lee Marvin, Gene Hackman, Sissy Spacek; not too convincing slant on the seamy side of the American heartland but well rendered.

Winterbottom, Go Now ***.5 (King R2) Robert Carlyle w/2 of modern UK’s best screen femmes IMO: Juliet Aubrey & Sophie Okonedo; very mature and non-trite approach to tragic dramas with a debilitating disease as a subject.

Straw Dogs (Anchor Bay R1) **** - Peckingpah. w/Dustin Hoffman, Peter Vaughn, a 70s best: Susan George

Grigori Chukrai, Ballad of a Soldier *** (Criterion R1) – where else but an old Soviet film do you show a commanding officer who allows a heroic young private to leave the battle front so that he can go home to fix his mother’s barn roof?

Wet Rope **.5 (Norwegian R0) – Nikkatsu softcore blasphemy, nunsploitation in my anticipation for ‘Convent of the Holy Beast’

Koji Yamada, Tora San & His Tender Love #8 *** (Panorama R3) – a buffoonish Tora loses another girl but his family still loves him.

Guest ShaofuSage

Shaolin Temple - I think this may have become one of my top 3 Temple films of all time. Great huge cast!

Deadly Secret - liked this one too, the most ironic title for a movie I've ever seen.

Guest Centorpedo

School of the Holy Beast - well shot, fun movie with lots of gonzo zaniness, but not a keeper IMO.

Harakiri - Only a third of the way in and I'm savoring every second. Simply amazing. Nakadai's eyes are like no other actor's before or since. Ever since The Face of Another he's become one of my favorite actors. Now I have a reason to go back and re-watch all of his Kurosawa output again.

Point Blank - Lee Marvin is the man. This and The Professionals... I could watch them over and over.

7 Steps of Kung Fu

great show. should appeal to any old school fan, monkey kf/knockabout/drunk mantis/young master appreciators in particular.

whispering corridors 4: voice

aaarghh, i hate it when a movie would end leaving me unsure whether i fully understood it or not.

korean arthouse horror drama with a meditative flow, no scares, intellectual approach, elegant technical execution.

cant say if i liked it better than its predecessors.... well, it was okay.

shaolin drunk monkey

another title from my collection going waaay back, poppin up again rather by coincident than by straight choice.

eagle han ying does the choreo and plays the main villain.

lotsa fights, decent quality, could have tried a little more to lift itself above the neverending sky that is standard chop socky. good fun, nothing special.

Bullet In the Head-uncut version

Heroes Shed No Tears-Eddy Ko

A Better Tomorrow 1 & 2

Last Hurrah for Chivalry-Liu Sung Yen & Wei Pai

I was showing some company some John Woo flicks, the only John Woo flicks they have seen before were his "American" movies, The Killer & Hard Boiled.

12 Deadly coins-did not live up to the hype.

I've seen a handful of websites and distributors give this movie a very good rating.

IMO-it was average 60's fanfare.But still...if you like 60's swordplay it's worth a one time view at best,it just will not make you a fan of this time period,if you already are not.

Guest Ivy Ling Po

Marco Polo - I found it more enjoyable than expected though Marco Polo should have dark hair I think being an Italian. Shih Sze shines in a non-fighting role.

Guest iron flag

Shaolin Hero-Possibly the worst dubbing I've ever heard (and thats saying a lot in this genre) But I liked in a guilty pleasure kind of way.

The Himalayan-Good, but didn't live up to the Hype.

Bloody Fists-Excellent

Marco Polo- Excellent

Judgement of an Assassin-Very Good

Masked Avengers-Excellent (please let there be a Celestial soon)

Ivy, there are a lot of Northern Italians with light hair (you're right though,Richard Harrison doesnt look very Italian). :)

just watched The Avenging Eagle

Great flick with a good story that clearly influneced alot of New Wave Hk films (john woo, etc).

The actions pretty sweet too. Im happy I got to see the extened copy with the extra action.

Ti Lung and Fu Sheng are great

Guest kenichiku

Reruns:

Ho Meng Hua, Vengeful Beauty ***.5/5 Chen Ping needed to be in more action films

Li Han Hsiang, Happiest Moment ***.5 Mike Hui does Peter Sellars

Liu Chia Liang, Martial Club **** never bores

non-Shaw:

Michael Campus, Education of Sonny Carson (R1) **** - you oldschool NYers should remember this superior docu-drama; unfair to label as 'Blaxploitation' as it precedes the more popular 'Wanderers', 'Lords of Flatbush' & 'The Warriors' by a few years.

Ride with the Devil ***.5 (R1) Ang Lee flirts w/the Confederacy w/Maguire, Ulrich, Jewel & the great Jeffrey Wright

Carpenter, Assault on Precinct 13 (R1) ***.5 w/commentary

Itami, A Taxing Woman Returns ***.5 (VHS) w/Nobuo rocks

Bandolero **.5 (R1) w/Jimmy Stewart, Racquel Welch

....paid for (dearly) some B-stuff in the dark:

Besson & crew, Transporter II **, stingey KF action; fire hose thing was best. That bloke Latham needs a script & a better shot at it in III.

Singleton, 'Four Brothers' **.5, working class D-troit male bonding

'The Cave', cool sets & Romanian locations **, Cole Hauser & Piper Perabo shined though

Guest Ivy Ling Po

Brotherhood - excellent movie with Liu Yung, Hu Chin and Lily Li

all excelling in their respective roles. I have not heard of this movie before and therefore I was pleasantly surprised. I wonder if it is a remake of POISON ROSE made in the 60s starring Julie Yeh Fung and Wang Hsieh as Hu Chin is playing the same character.

Guest kenichiku

Still catching up with a little shopping spree over in the friendly neighborhood mom n' pop retailer over in Northpoint (Pak Kok) for some old bargain titles (avg $45HK/DVD). Just checked out of the last hotel and into a family's flat for some DVD viewing after 2 weeks cold turkey....and man do they have a system:

Marco Polo (2nd time, own copy IVL r3) ****.5/5 - their 52" 16x9 Olevia plasma makes a huge world of difference over my 21" big tube Sanyo!

Martial Arts of Shaolin (IVL r3)****.5 - Jet was the little mischief maker with the moves back in the innocent days! I can finally chuck my crappy VHS now! Pops reinforces his reputation. The clarity with the awesome Kung Fu brings tears in my eyes!

Lotus Lamp (IVL r3) *** - Not the best Huang Mei musical but an excellent package (original trailers, storyboards, lyrics, documentary, etc). A miscast Cheng Pei Pei as Lin Dai's father but the sets are sumptuous as usual.

Can't keep up with the newer batches yet as some of them hav been ordered from YesAsia.com and waiting for me back in the states.