What ELSE (other than KUNG FU) has everyone been watching?

Guest kenichiku

Secret Executioner
That movie sounds like some deranged fever dream!

I gotta admit it's one of the craziest movies I've ever seen. I doubt even the weirdest IFD or Filmark films could match this one.

Tonight, I watched:

Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla II (1993)

Holy crap, I saw this too bro.... I fuckin loved it, a lot of fun I thought iw as going to be shot like the 1st two movies but it's actually a movie not found footage camera work...

Cool beans, dude! I haven't seen the 1st two. Are they as good as Rec 3: Genesis? I'm always looking for a good zombie freakout film as it gets closer to Halloween!:wink:

THE GODFATHER: COPPOLA RESTORATION - Great transfer and remastering supervised by Coppola himself. This remains one of my favorite films of all-time.

SIX BULLETS (formerly THE BUTCHER) - Pretty good Van Damme DTV movie IMO. He plays an ex-mercenary turned butcher after a rescue mission goes awry. He suffers from visions of what happened in his last mission yet he is hired to find the 14-year old daughter of a mixed martial arts fighter. Van Damme's style of fighting truly changes here as he throws a few kicks, but does more of a close-quarter knife fighting style that looks quite good for him. Directed by Ernie Barbarash (who directed Van Damme's ASSASSINATION GAMES).

- Fight Back To School Trilogy ('91, '92, '93) ★★★½ / ★★★★ / ★★★½

- As Tears Go By (1988) ★★★★

- When Fortune Smiles (1990) ★★★★

- Tricky Brains (1991) ★★★

- Tiger Cage 3 (1991) ★★½

TibetanWhiteCrane

The Decline Of Western Civilization 2- The Metal Years

Love this doc! Often labelled as Spinal Tap for real, but it's way funnier. Yeah, at few shots are staged, but that doesn't take away from the huge entertainment value of watching these late 80's hair metal wannabe losers make complete asses out of themselves. They are so pathetic that the comedic value just goes through the roof. Remember bands like Odin, London, Seduce? No? Well there's a reason for that.

Secret Executioner

picture.php?albumid=244&pictureid=6251

A nice Korean anime though neither the looks, the animations or the sound (dubbing or sound effects) are that great but it's quite fun and the music is awesome. :xd:

d4luNgHQdyg

Secret Executioner

Watched some episodes off the Beavis And Butt-Head: The Mike Judge Collection Vol. 1 set:

Home Improvement

Washing The Dog

Lawn And Garden

The Crush

Been ages since I last watched some B&B and it's as good if not better than I remembered it. :bigsmile:

Secret Executioner

This afternoon:

Gammera The Invincible

and some more Beavis and Butt-Head episodes off the Mike Judge Collection Vol. 1 set:

Killing Time

Safe House

Dream On

MIRROR MIRROR - a new take on the Snow White legend that stars Julia Roberts as the Evil Queen, Lily Collins as Snow White, and the soon to be Lone Ranger, Armie Hammer as the Prince. The film has some comedic moments, especially with the dwarves, who have different names than Disney's version plus they have the ability to grow up to ten feet and use acrobatics as bandits. Not too bad..

DARK SHADOWS - I watched a few episodes of the original series and Tim Burton does his best to adapt it to the screens. As much as I love the Burton/Depp collaborations, this was okay but not their best. Some nice supernatural twists mixed in but a few of the supprting characters were atrociously annoying.

THE LORAX - I love this CGI adaptation of the Dr. Seuss book. Yes, it's mostly a flashback movie with the Once-ler (Ed Helms) telling a oung boy how he met the titular character (Danny DeVito) and how his success costs everything with a small chance of redemption.Rob Riggle's O'Hare, the real villain of the film, is quite hysterical at times. Plus, you gotta love the reference with the lovestruck Ted and his crush, Audrey (Dr.Seuss' real name and his widow hehehe)

DARK SHADOWS - I watched a few episodes of the original series and Tim Burton does his best to adapt it to the screens. As much as I love the Burton/Depp collaborations, this was okay but not their best. Some nice supernatural twists mixed in but a few of the supprting characters were atrociously annoying.

I really like the original series and I am not really happy with the changes they made. So, I have decied to skip this one.

masterofoneinchpunch

I ended up liking Dark Shadows (I gave it ***/****): but I'm a Burton fan. I'm not sure I would recommend it to non-Burton fans though.

Searching for Sugar Man (2012: Milik Bendjelloul) ***½/****

You ever end up watching a film by happenstance? I had two movies I wanted to watch around the same time this and Hotel Transylvania. I was going to let the cost determine which one I went to. What I mean by this is that I go during matinee during the week and most films cost 5 dollars. However, some by Sony do not. I noticed this was 7.50 and I was in a so-so mood so I though I will go watch Hotel Transylvania instead. Of course it also ended up being 7.50 as its name was on the exception list but was not easily readable. So I go to the theater slightly perturbed. I enter and after taking the serpentine labyrinth to get to the seats I notice that the place is packed. Isn’t this a school day? So as I look around for a decent seat, literally none are to be found. Forget this; I am going to the documentary. It was a wise decision. Not only did I see an enthralling documentary, I got the whole theater to myself. I love that feeling.

Next time I think I will watch Hotel Transylvania but pay for Searching for Sugar Man.

At first I felt a bit of trepidation by my choice. I have seen enough bad documentaries before, but it is rare for this theater to get one and I had never seen a documentary in the cinema. I knew Ebert had given it a perfect score, and I knew a vague outline of the story but I was surprised how soon I was drawn into the story.

The story of a singer who does not who disappears from the scene after a failed record or two is not a new one. But add in a story about one whose records are sold in the hundreds of thousands in South Africa whom the populace thinks has killed himself. His songs become identified with the anti-apartheid movement and generations of South Africans identify with his music. Sixto Rodriquez is as big as Elvis there and is constantly compared to Bob Dylan (this happens too much, his singing reminds me more of Donovan). But is he even alive and if so what has happened to him? What is revealed is surprising, sometimes a bit hard to believe, but it always had me interested in what was going to happen next.

I do hope I have talked some of you into watching this film. I found this a fascinating film and along with Jiro Dreams of Sushi (another film I hope you get to see) one of the top documentaries I have seen this year.

(NOTE, some spoilers below)

One fact that some felt disingenuous was that Rodriquez was not completely unknown to the world from the early 1970s until his rediscovery and tour of South Africa in the late 1990s. He did tour Australia in 1979 and 1981 and releases a region-specific like album there. Since South Africa was a hermetic environment they would not have known that, at least not until the World Wide Web age. While that fact does make the story less fantastic, its addition would not have helped the movie since the viewpoint is a South African one.

But one question remains is: what happened to the South African royalties? Sixto did not get them. The interview with Clarence Avant sure makes it sound like he had something to do with it. Apparently he still owns the rights to the South African sales.

NYTimes: A Real-Life Fairy Tale, Long in the Making and Set to Old Tunes

TITANIC II - The Asylum's ripoff version of the James Cameron film sets the story in the present day New York and a new cruise ship is about to go out, called, yep Titanic II. However, global warming in Greenland cause a tsunami across the Atlantic Ocean and...yeah that pretty much sums it up. Only add a Coast Guard agent trying to save his daughter who is on the ship. Definitely a Hallmark or Syfy type of movie.

Secret Executioner
TITANIC II - The Asylum's ripoff version of the James Cameron film sets the story in the present day New York and a new cruise ship is about to go out, called, yep Titanic II. However, global warming in Greenland cause a tsunami across the Atlantic Ocean and...yeah that pretty much sums it up. Only add a Coast Guard agent trying to save his daughter who is on the ship. Definitely a Hallmark or Syfy type of movie.

Sounds even worse than the 2 Titanic animated films that came up some time after the James Cameron flick (which might be the most overrated film ever BTW)... I had seen it in stores but now it's impossible to find and I most certainly do NOT regret not buying it.

Oh Asylum, have you no same at all?

suppose I'm the only one here who went to see Titanic 3D :tongue:

Bellflower (USA, 2011) – 4/5

A slice of suburban America seen through the eyes of two Mad Max worshiping young men. A hallucinatory and frighteningly accurate look into the lives of certain type of men, only lacking a more inspired storyline. The romance tale of a boy and a girl that fills much of the middle third has been seen before. Rather, it’s the muscle car, flame thrower, nuclear explosions, and booze filled parties that make a hell of a stylish film with atmosphere to spare. Energetic acting and stunning soundtrack complete the doom’s day package. A worthy successor to Easy Rider and Two Lane Black Top, though unlikely to ever gain comparable status for its obvious indie roots and rough looks.

God of Gamblers (Hong Kong, 1989) – 2/5

The ever so charismatic Chow Yun Fat shines as master gambler in the opening and closing segments of Wong Jing’s film. Sadly, what is found in between is 90 minutes of tiresome idiot-comedy.

Street Trash (USA, 1987) – 3/5

Top cameraman Jim Muro’s (Titanic, L.A. Confidental) Troma-esque cult classic. A bunch of low-life street trash discover cheap booze, only to find out the mysterious liquid causes one to either melt or explode, or both. The bad taste film comes with some terrific special effects work unexpectedly visionary moments as the camera pans in the trash yards and filthy streets. Yet, the film is too long, running 30 minutes more than needed, and occasionally too goofball to fully please horror fans.

La polizia ringrazia (Execution Squad) (Italy, 1972) – 4.5/5

A police commissioner trying to track down two petty criminals gets caught in the crossfire of media pressure and an organized vigilante group that is cleaning the streets from human trash. An absolutely brilliant poliziotteschi that resembles Enzo G. Castellari’s violent political thrillers in terms of its pessimistic worldview, but is better written and executed. With solid performances, strong sociopolitical themes, and terrific soundtrack it’s a gripping, moody thriller where action serves the story.

ring1.jpg

(half of the) opening credits: young killers on their way to the soon-to-be murder site:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLkpj6nXSJ4#t=330s

Secret Executioner

The Barbarians (1987)

An Italian/American production attempting to capitalize on Conan The Barbarian (looks more like a sort of parody if you ask me...) but with 2 twin brothers playing the lead roles of 2 twin brothers trying to save their queen and their tribe from a villainous king played by Richard Lynch and his evil army, including a guy called "Dirtmaster" played by Michael Berryman. There are also some monsters, a quest for a ruby and naturally the usual villain that tries to double-cross the main villain.

Watched IRON SKY the other day... A mixed bag, to be sure - Impressive production values and interesting concept saddled with (IMO) wrong headed political satire that came off as Anti-American, not unlike GODZILLA VS KING GHIDORAH. I think I preferred the Asylum knock off, NAZIS AT THE CENTER OF THE EARTH...

Secret Executioner

This afternoon:

Hitman The Cobra (same old German DVD, can't get enough of this film)

Some Beavis and Butt-Head episodes off the Mike Judge Collection Vol. 2 set:

Candy Sale

Pregnant Pause

Oil Change

Premature Evacuation

TibetanWhiteCrane

On a bit of a late 70's kick as of late...

King Kong 1976... still my fave, cheesy as it may be.

Close Encounters Of The Third Kind.... one of the best movies ever made.

Over The Edge... getting a little long in the tooth for teen flicks, but this is really great.

Bought the West Wing box set, cuz... well, I remembered it as a great show, but honestly.... what kind of a fantasy world is this set in? The republicans are actually intelligent and human, and the democrats are not whimpering, compromising cowards..... couldn't watch this shit with a straight face. What a waste of money. And no, I didn't mean for this to spark ANY kind of political debate, its just how I feel about this show.

Secret Executioner

Last night:

Superman/Batman: Public Enemies

Today:

Justice League: Doom

Like Someone In Love (at a local movie theater)

Secret Executioner

A little bunch of Beavis And Butt-Head from the Mike Judge Collection Volume 2 set:

Patsies

Bus Trip

Babysitting

Bungholio: Lord Of The Harvest (Halloween Special)

Strays (AKA Killer Cats)

Bungholio: Lord Of The Harvest (Halloween Special)

Classic!

- Prison on Fire (1987) ★★★★

- The Simpsons Movie (2007) ★★★★

- Prince Charming (1999) ★★★½

- Prison on Fire II (1991) ★★★

- Sixty Million Dollar Man (1995) ★★

- In The Mood For Love (2000) ★★ - What the fuck was all that about? Sure, it looked nice, but that's it....

The Campaign - Surprisingly low on big laughs and actually quite tedious in places. Jay Roach has certainly taken a tumble since his "Austin Powers" glory days. Another second rate Ferrell vehicle.

Men in Black 3 - I don't actually like the first two films and, weirdly, foud this quite endearing. It's not exactly a masterpiece but it's pretty consistent throughout and balances the laughs and action quite well.

Killer Joe - I'm sorry but I just didn't get this film. Is it meant to be taken seriously or is it tongue-in-cheek? It also seems to be sold on its NC-17 causing finale...which isn't really that shocking at all. Matthew McConaughey hams it up lusciously (again) and Juno Temple gets her bush out, but even that can't save this film.

V/H/S - Wow, this film has been overrated. Sure, the scary bits are well executed at times but everything between is simply a bunch of dude-bros convincing girls to show their tits.

Conventional horror with a few original moments but nothing more.