What ELSE (other than KUNG FU) has everyone been watching?

Guest kenichiku

Guest Markgway

Don't agree with that at all. Dourif uses his voice to charm the little boy ("hey, Andy") and only when found out does he revert to his agressive ("don't fuck with me") natural tone.

Don't agree with that at all. Dourif uses his voice to charm the little boy ("hey, Andy") and only when found out does he revert to his agressive ("don't fuck with me") natural tone.

When his tone changed it scarred the crap out of me when I was little. Coundn't sit alone in a room with a doll for a while.:frown:

Ghost (1990)

A bit far-fetched in places if you think realistically but despite this, I think it's one of those films that takes imagination to another level and is able to draw and leave a great impact so memorably. Blending the film's fantasy element with romance (Swayze and Moore), comedy (Goldberg) and crime (Goldwyn and Aviles) made things all more intriguing overall. Rating: 9/10

Jurassic Park (1993)

Another film that kicked imagination onscreen up a notch thanks to its' creative and believable script as well as spectacle locations and special effects as well as remarkable sound design and music score. Easily one of Spielberg's most epic pieces. Rating: 10/10

The Lost World - Jurassic Park (1997)

The addition of new dinosaur species and subplot of dinosaur pouching made it very entertaining. But unfortunately, that's pretty much what saves the film from its' overall less engaging content as well as the self-parodied (and obvious Godzilla-lifted) ending. Rating: 7/10

The Lost World - Jurassic Park (1997)

The addition of new dinosaur species and subplot of dinosaur pouching made it very entertaining. But unfortunately, that's pretty much what saves the film from its' overall less engaging content as well as the self-parodied (and obvious Godzilla-lifted) ending. Rating: 7/10

Could never finish watching that movie. Every time I try, the minute that girl jumps on those bars and kicks that rapture out of the window, I cut it off. There is no way that anyone is going to be able to do that( I can only suspend my disbelief so far).

Fairy Tale Killer (2012)

Hugely disappointing thriller unfortunately, despite its' hype and the talent involved. The premise was pretty good and takes cues from the Hollywood classic Se7en with its' bizarre murders and puzzles that the lead character has to solve to stop the serial killings committed by the antagonist. Lau Ching-Wan makes a great lead actor (like he always have) and the supporting cast - including Ken Lo as Lau Ching-Wan's main sidekick - provide good back-up. But the fact still stands. The script was overstuffed with these terribly executed subplots and plot twists for great character exposition and it doesn't add anything nor make the film very good.

Rating: 4/10

Get the Gringo

Being a Mel Gibson fan I had to get this. I'd give it a middle of the road score, scale one to ten bout a 6. I thought the character he played was alot like the character he played in Payback. The plot was kinda like Payback as well he wants his money back.

has nothing to do with suspending disbelief. its called a lucky shot :tongue::bigsmile:

Yeah, a completely unbelieveable lucky shot.:tongue:

Guest Markgway

I actually preferred The Lost World to either the first or third movies... but would have ended the film once the dino had been captured on the island.

Candyman (1992)

What seems like an ordinary slasher/supernatural horror/thriller turns into something more deeper beyond the violence and the in myth behind the murdering antagonist. This aspect was really unique as it allows for not only the obvious - the scary factor - but also the psychological view of the whole picture and thereby opening interpretations of what really happens in the story. The lead actress carried her role to great effect and Tony Todd makes a chilling yet horrifying character in the mysterious title character. Rating: 8/10

The Fly (1986)

Fresh sci-fi/horror film although it's not anything of the typical brand. As the story develops all sort of elements come into play and the film becomes more emotional and personal and finishing off with an impressive finale that couldn't have been better. Make-up was pro (for its' time) and other standouts were Cronenberg's direction and of course performance by Goldblum. Rating: 8/10

Drunken Monk
Candyman (1992)

What seems like an ordinary slasher/supernatural horror/thriller turns into something more deeper beyond the violence and the in myth behind the murdering antagonist. This aspect was really unique as it allows for not only the obvious - the scary factor - but also the psychological view of the whole picture and thereby opening interpretations of what really happens in the story. The lead actress carried her role to great effect and Tony Todd makes a chilling yet horrifying character in the mysterious title character. Rating: 8/10

The Fly (1986)

Fresh sci-fi/horror film although it's not anything of the typical brand. As the story develops all sort of elements come into play and the film becomes more emotional and personal and finishing off with an impressive finale that couldn't have been better. Make-up was pro (for its' time) and other standouts were Cronenberg's direction and of course performance by Goldblum. Rating: 8/10

Possibly my top two horror films of all time. Great choices!

I actually preferred The Lost World to either the first or third movies... but would have ended the film once the dino had been captured on the island.

:ooh: okay, why?

Just enjoyed it more.

Okay, I was just wondering. Its just that most people I have talked to(including me) seem to prefer the first and kind of disown the other two.

Guest Markgway

I haven't seen any of the JP films in many years, but from memory I preferred the characters in 2, Goldblum was cooler, and thought that the suspense sequences were more intense, gripping. I also liked the jungle setting better than the theme park. The 3rd film felt a bit like a DTV revisit; OK, but nothing more.

TibetanWhiteCrane

CRY OF A PROSTITUTE.... Euro gangster goodness, with THE MAN Henry Silva, although he is quite reprehensible here, and kinda cool too.

BROTHERS TILL WE DIE... not Lenzi's best, or Milian's for that matter, but ok, needed more action.

WEAPONS OF DEATH... somewhat generic poliziotteschi, though there were some cool touches here and there. And Henry Silva as the badguy elevated it a few notches.

Batman Begins (2005)

Back to part 1 of the trilogy. Without so much that I first didn't understand and only focusing merely on certain parts (action scenes, the villains), everything clicked perfectly and my appreciation have gone from medium to very high now.

The film is divided in three acts. First one explores small episodic moments of Bruce Wayne as a child and as a grown-up, how he ends up being trained physically and psychically by the League Of Shadows and how he escapes his fate cast by them. Second act deals with Wayne returning to Gotham reuniting with Alfred, hooking up with Lucius Fox working in his company, building up the Batcave and gearing up his suit and equipments, and teaming up with Jim Gordon to take on Carmine Falcone and his gang. Third one is pretty much Batman dealing with Scarecrow and Ra's Al Ghul's plan to destroy Gotham with vaporized water supplies.

The overall buildup was fantastic and epic. It did have apparent flaws which I'm still trying to accept like the editing in most of the fight scenes, not enough background on the League Of Shadows (Watanabe as the decoy as well as the sidekicks working for Al Ghul), and Scarecrow having no real physical encounters with Batman despite his awesome gimmick.

But everything else was outstanding. Music, cinematography, art direction, sound design, CGI, and the principal cast members (especially Neeson's interpretation of Ra's Al Ghul) pulling off great performances. Rating: 9/10

The Dark Knight (2008)

Part 2 of the trilogy. One of the best things here is that the film doesn't even have the same look as Batman Begins and is more akin to the style of Memento, and having that exceptional look of a crime film.

Nevertheless, this was Nolan taking the series to new heights in that the film resolves the depth of its' story with mere psychological conflicts for Batman as he deals with not only Joker but also his relations with Dawes and Gotham's hope and peacemaker turned murderer Dent/Two-Face. The overall execution and pacing was masterful and to see Joker's progression from small-time thug ripping off mobs and killing off judges and caps to big-time opponent for Batman and the schemers was unique to behold.

Nolan's direction, cinematography/lighting, CGI, sound design, music, set locations are all magnificent and as are the action scenes which thankfully was shot and edited better, but with one setback being that the fight choreography didn't have much variety as far as techniques go - something that would go against the principle of the comics.

But the film's strength lies in the acting. Bale, Caine, Freeman, Oldman are as great as they can be here and Gyllenhaal pulls off a convincing performance. But the show belongs to Ledger. There's isn't much else to say about him though because everything unique in his performance (the manner and the gestures) as Joker is already unique to the eyes. But I still feel that Eckhart's version of Dent/Two-Face - which I thought was good itself - isn't getting much attention considering that the character is the most emotionally conflicted one and is the drive of the story. Piecing everything up as a complete film though, the film's a masterpiece and one of few sequels to successfully surpass a predecessor. Rating: 10/10

The Prestige (2006)

I don't think I've seen a real film about magic before. Regardless, this is remarkable pierce of filmmaking altogether (probably the most underrated post-2005 Nolan film) where you get to learn about the art of illusionary tricks, with the magic tricks themselves being performed brilliantly. The rivalry that plays out between Christian Bale and Hugh Jackman was a great way to enhance their tricks and either one's desire to top one another by improving and evolving their craftsmanship. Rating: 7.5/10

American Psycho (2000)

Unusually bizarre turning point for Christian Bale. This interesting film has him playing a banking executive with a psychotic alter ego hiding deep inside him that is triggered whenever he shows the slightest sign of irritation or sense that he's being topped or rivaled by his fellow comrades or associates. The outcome - which was very entertaining - ranged from being violent and disturbing to highly amusing. Bale gives a meticulously peculiar performance and gives a new meaning to psychological depth in acting. Rating: 8/10

U.S. Marshalls

Has there been a better role written for Tommy Lee Jones, as the bring 'em back, dead or alive Marshall? I think not. Wesley Snipes is also decent as a wrongfully acussed spy. He is more subdued in this role and you can see the benefit in his performance.

Robert Downey Jr., my reason for revisiting this film, is a young, hotshot, agent brought in with alternate motives. He's good. The story is typical, the performances are above average.

8.5/10

Chaplin

Another RDJ turn, this time, as the legendary historic silent film mogul. The make up, and recreations of events are whats featured here.. all the way up to the star's historic, emotional return to Hollywood for an honorary Oscar, after decades of exile from the U.S.

What a performance by RDJ! The scenes where he recreates The Tramp are so amazing, it's as if you're watching the authentic Charlie Chaplin.

Great docudrama.

8/10

Drunken Monk

Y Tu Mama Tambien - Incredible film. Such a low key coming of age tale. I'm saddened by the fact that I didn't quite grasp the cultural references, but I thought it was an enchanting, if not offbeat, film.

Grade: A

Bronson - Well, I can officially say I've seen Bane's cock and balls. Fantastic film, though. An incredibly well acted slice of manic madness with heart.

Grade: B +

No Country For Old Men (2007)

Not the kind of film I would expect to get alot of praise by people. But it says something about its' quality. It's one of those films that doesn't take the actual plotline in all seriousness or trying to bring something new with the whole content, but rather how an uncompounded story is enhanced to the point of producing interesting sparks and twists in ways that gets your attention. But the acting was professionally handled though, and specifically Javier Bardem gets the center of attention here as the stubborn killer with a peculiar sense of nature. The hotel showdown between him and lead actor Josh Brolin was one of the most suspenseful moments I've seen in recent Hollywood films by far. Rating: 8.5/10

Inception (2010)

The more I watch it the more I think about the film it was obviously inspired by: The Matrix. There's several similarities in not only concept but also the idea of exploring possibilities and taking risks in a dream world as well as entities acting as oppressors against subjects inside it. But it's all good because Nolan envisions other ideas so the story is mostly safe from its' inspiration source. Plus the CGI and the art direction was something else. Performances have grown on me and I can now see why Nolan is persistent of using actors in roles against their stereotypes. Rating: 8/10

Batman Begins (USA, 2005) – 3/5

Nolan’s initially over-rated film has further lost bite due to the excellent follow ups. It does have its share of strengths – an interesting back story, excellent casting, and several small touches such as the bat mobile design – but the main plot is instantly forgettable, as are almost all action scenes. This is much more of a traditional superhero formula given a solid, serious handling – something that was to be appreciated at the time of its release, but it’s a far cry from the fascinating realism and political approach that Nolan brought to the later films. It’s most describing to see how Gotham is portrayed: in Batman Begins it’s a fictional, futuristic metropolis; in The Dark Knight Rises it’s clearly (and intended as) the present day New York.

The Dark Knight (USA, 2008) – 4.5/5

The 2nd film is where Nolan finds his personal style – and is allowed to go incredibly far with it. With Michael Mann’s masterpiece Heat serving as inspiration it’s much more of a character driven crime thriller than a superhero movie. The few weaknesses are exactly the segments involving more typical comic book actions and fantasy vehicles in an otherwise very dark, violent and (relatively) realistic movie. The IMAX shot action scenes, often with minimal score, are especially dynamic, somewhat resembling James Cameron’s late 80’s / early 90’s work, and Heath Ledger is amazing as the Joker – a psychopath who cannot be reasoned with and who follows no plan or ideology except anarchy.

The Dark Knight Rises (USA, 2012) (IMAX) - 4/5

Nolan’s hugely ambitious, but somewhat uneven conclusion to the trilogy. Like its predecessor, the film is at least as much a (political) crime thriller as it is a superhero movie – and works far better in the former category. The impressively depicted fall of New York (“Gotham”) into the hands of terrorist of Bane (brilliant Tom Hardy) and terrific acting from most of the leads keep the near 3 hour film feeling shorter than its length. It all culminates in very effective, massive action scenes that emphasize a certain level of realism over excessive CGI and fast cuts. With nearly half of the film shot in IMAX, the 250 million dollar budget truly shows on screen. But the story conclusion is a major disappointment, stealing much of the ground from the Bane character and underutilizing the psychological possibilities. It is as if Nolan, after 2½ hours of thought provoking political action thriller, decided to back down and revert to typical superhero movie.

bruceleewannabe

God Bless America (2011) Dir. Bobcat Goldthwait

This film is a wild ride. It's basically what a lot of people wish they could do but for obvious reasons would never actually do. It's about your average everyday guy named Frank (Joel Murray) who recently gets fired from his job. He goes home to an apartment where the neighbors are loud and have a crying baby which only adds to his frustration. He turns on the tv only to find nothing but useless ads so he turns on an American Idol style show called American Superstars and then watches a My Sweet 16 type show where the girl is nothing but an obnoxious brat. It is then that he decides that these people would be better off dead and decides he is going to take care of that himself. He decides (not having much purpose in life anymore) to eliminate all the annoying, stupid, and just plain rude people who inhabit the reality shows and do other bad things (like talking and using phones during a movie).

Frank joins up with or I should say is joined up by a 16 year old girl named Roxy (Tara Lynne Barr) who wants to help him in his killing. It's an interesting film in which you can sort of guess the ending but still fun to watch from Bobcat Goldthwait who has only directed a few major films so far.