What ELSE (other than KUNG FU) has everyone been watching?

Guest kenichiku

Guest kenichiku

Inoue, Apartment for Ladies w/Betty Ting Pei & a bunch of 60s kittens ***/5

Chu Yuan, A Lover's Destiny***.5

Jeunet, Alien Resurrection w/Weaver, Ryder ****

American Pie w/Biggs, Levy, Scott, Natasha Lyonne, Tara Reid & Shannon Elizabeth ****

Sollima, 'Citte Violenta' aka 'Violent City' (Anchor Bay) w/Bronson & Jill Ireland in her most revealing ***

Lustig, 'Vigilante' (Anchor Bay) w/Fred Williamson, Robert Forster & the great Joe Spinelli ***

Young, Captain Jack w/Bob Hoskins, Gemma Jones & Sadie Frost ***.5 (sucker for sentimental Brit formula)

Guest Wahlumkid

I have been watching -

• Big Bad Sis. - Chen Ping is marvelous in this movie. Excellent action and plot. No wonder Sun Shung has been called " The Master of Tension "

• The Avenging Eagle - fifth time watching it since I got it. It gets better every-time. Fantastic action, story and music score!

• The Lady Assassin - Even though the action is speeded up, but still enjoyed it very much. Loved that unusual wire work!

• Two Con Men - • Carry On Con Men - Two very funny comedy and well acted. You will enjoyed it more if you understand Cantonese.

• Perfect Girls - You can see Jet Li's wife's big tits! (wet bikini). I think this is the only movie that she's in wet bikini and showed her big tits!

• Family Light Affair - Good comedy drama.

• The Goddess of Mercy - One of the most expensive Shaw bros movie. Directed by two Korean director and took about 2 years to made. 3/5 for me.

• The illegal Immigrant - Good drama and one of my favorite female director.

• Inside The Forbidden City - Good Bao Gon Huangmei Opera. Very nice sets!

• My Darling Genie - Light heart comedy.

• The Amorous Lotus Pan - The Tiger killer - are both the same story. But I like the China's TV drama version better!

• Raw Passions - Good sexy dancing, but weak plot!

• Finger of Doom - Lvy Ling Po looked so lovely and sexy in the good action pack movie.

• West Chamber - This is one of the best Huangmei Opera directed by Yueh Feng. Who also directed the excellent - Bell of Death! All of Yueh Feng's movie are excellent!

• Hex, Hex vs Witchcraft, Hex after Hex - Good trilogy horror movies. I loved this director's work! He still have some more good horror movie coming out!

• The Criminals - 3 short interesting true crime story.

• The Kiss of Death - Chen Ping, the lovely sex bimbo is done it again.

• Intimate Confessions of a Chinese Courtesan - Beautiful! Considered to be Chu Yuan's best work! Don't miss it! The first Chinese lesbian movie.

• The Enchantress - Liu Chia-Liang's wife is very lovely in this movie! Good sword play and horror. This movie feature lots of nice sets!

• The Orem of the Red Chamber - Excellent! I love all of Li Han-hsiang's work! One of the great master!

except - The Tiger Killer. Everything in The Tiger Killer is new and clean! Even the criminals cloths is new and clean. Its just too clean.

Guest Ivy Ling Po

Brothers From The Walled City - entertaining but predictable. Celestial offers a cut version.

Murderer Pursues - I like this as it has the young Ray Liu. Danny Li seems older here. They don't look like Vietnamese though.

Guest Tangowind

Ivy, I noticed you saw both The Sugar Daddies and Call to Arms. Did you enjoy these 2 movies? Any frontal nudity in the previous one (or preferably both)? :b

Guest Ivy Ling Po

Can't remember about frontal nudity but there was definitely nudity in both which was odd for Call To Arms being shot in the 60s.

Betty Pei Tih does not herself strip in any movie. She uses a body double. Ditto for Hsia Fan in Call To Arms.

Guest lacali

Legend of Fong Sai Yuk starring Meng Fei, Yasuaki Kurata, Tan Tao Liang. A pretty good movie with many good fight sequences. Not sure when the movie was made but it starred several other Shaw Brothers co-stars like Fong Hak An and the usual Shaw Brothers bad guy who had a good long fight & got killed by Chan Kuan Tai when he got rescued by Fu Sheng in under ground chamber in Heroes Two. I guess it was made some time between 1973-1976.

Guest limubai2000

I just knocked off -

Hand of Death - Jackie/Sammo/Tan Tao, good film directed by John Woo, some good semi-cutting edge camera work, you can see the beginnings of Woo's style.

Triangular Duel - Joseph Kuo film, good little story of a rickshaw puller turned kung fu student. The iron triangle owns you!

Godzilla vs Sea Monster, 2nd worst zilla movie after Megalon.

At the theater -

Cave, which despite its poor showing at the box office is a good little horror flick with some cheap scares and good effects.

But now it appears my movie viewing this week will be interuptted by an approaching typhoon.

Guest jmungus

mellow weekend with no chores but lots of time on my hand for these goodies (or not so goodies):

gone in 60 seconds

found a copy of it in my vhs collection, couldnt remember a thing bout that movie.

frankly, with recent entries in the tinseltown action category (xxx2 and the likes :x ), this felt like a class movie.

after all i thought it wasnt quite good enough to be a 7 (of 10), but almost.

rivals of the silver fox

forgettable b-chop socky. kept me watching tho, props for that.

i recall reading a review saying its dreadful- well, imo it wasnt. 4 points equal 'nothing to be ashamed of killing some time with'.

swift sword

i thought it had a well paced, likable screenplay.

wasnt the glorious wuxia fest i probably expected.

very entertaining, buddha bless for the compact running time. a good 7.

fresh

ghetto drama that hasnt lost its touch even after the 4th or 5th viewing.

highly recommended, 8.5

the evil cult

another rewatch after some 5, 6 years.

jet li in top shape. some really well conceived, fun sequences.

ultimately i can understand why ppl in asia made this a loser at the box office; lame plot reviving very well known themes (from innumerous old school wuxia gems), nothing new, special or exciting about it.

its like a 90s hk equivalent to modern day western actioners a la "rundown", "bad boys" or "fast and furious"- nothing much to it, but making mad noise and bringing lots of ruckus.

5 if i hadnt been prepared for a total low brainer, so the score rises up to a 6.5 score for some solid rollercoaster action.

Guest TheManInWhite

The weekend I got around to seeing Long Step Mantis. Man, this film was real good. Just enough comedy without overdoing it, strong storyline and plenty of quality fights. Mark Long was extremely good and definitely Lung Fei's finest moment. Highly recommended!

Guest ShaofuSage

Ode to Gallantry - did not necessarily mind the lack of action because there were enough characters and plot to keep me watching, the end fight was real nice.

Deadly Breaking Sword - really liked this one, although Fu Sheng's character was a bit disturbing, especially towards the end. Nice congested storyline, good fights, and a bit of Fu Shengian comedy never hurts.

The Legend of 7 Golden Vampires- I really enjoyed this. I love horror movies and kung fu movies and this combines the two together. David Chiang speaks better english than some people I know, but hey I live in tennessee.

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

Had a nice catch up week on some backlog. In the past week I was able to watch:

Incredible Kung Fu Mission (4/5)

Zu:Warriors Form The Magic Mountain (HKL) (3.5/5 may improve with second viewing)

A Bittersweet Life (5/5)

The Challenger (4/5)

Zatoichi Meets The One Armed Swordsman (4.5/5)

Mute Samurai (episode 1) (so far, so good!!)

Barefoot Kid (4/5)

Guest Ivy Ling Po

The Mermaid. This is a bonafide huangmei classic with superb performances by Ling Po & Li Ching. Be warned that huangmei opera is an acquired taste. Ling Po won the Most Versatile Talent award and Li Ching won the Asian Movie Queen award for this movie. At 17, she was the youngest winner.

Guest sammofan

Last bunch of Shaws watched -

Look Out, Officer! 7/10

The Proud Twins 7/10

Ode to Gallantry 6/10

Legend of the Bat 5/10

Swift Sword 7/10

Judgement of an Assassin 7.5/10

Guest Isfahani

Mad Monk,which managed to be a little better with readable subs & WS...

Akahige (Red Beard), an early Mifune/Kurasawa period drama. Clocks at about three hours, and I didn't get up for the entire time...riveting.

Judgement of an Assassin, not bad, not the best I have seen from that era.

Dragon Gate Inn (the Original), Niiiiice one. The blueprint for many to come.

Ghidrah, the Three Headed Monster...

Watari the Ninja Boy...

Proud Twins...

Brave Archer and his Mate ( I still don't know how I feel about this one, yeah it's nice that the Venoms were in there, but Fu Sheng for SURE should have retained the title role...imo)

Heaven Sword, Dragon Sabre - were there any more where these came from?

Kagemaru of the Iga Clan...

Ninja Wars...

Destiny's Son (dir Kenji Misume, 1962)

Chushingura (1962)

Godzilla Final Wars (nice try, but I'll stick with the old ones)

etc etc

Guest Ivy Ling Po

Bugis Street - the Director's cut which means frontal nudity.

A slice of life in the 60s amongst the transvestite society is finely crafted by YonFan into a memorable experience. Filmed in Singapore but banned there.

Guest kenichiku

Shaws:

The Mermaid (R3) ****/5 - remaster looked spectacular.

Fast Fingers (R3) **.5 - remaster didn't help it for me.

other:

Gilliam, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas ***.5/5 w/Depp, Del Toro, Barkin; hilarious, good acid dropping double with either 'Altered States', 'Naked Lunch' or a Cheech n' Chong flick.

Tsui Hark, Shanghai Blues (big platter LD) ***.5 - w/Sally Yeh, Slyvia Chang, Kenny B; 80s nostalgia, dusted off to comp. vs upcoming DVD release.

Omori Kazuki, 'Shooto' aka 'Hit the Goal' (R3 DVD) **.5 - High school Soccer drama w/members of Kinki Kids, SMAP, etc.

Suzuki, Gate of Flesh (Criterion DVD) **** - at his psychedelic post-War best. Jo Shishido

Hard Rain (DVD) ***.5 - w/Christian Slater, Minnie Driver, Morgan Freeman; retooled 'Titanic' tank sets in Mexico were 'Shaw' gorgeous; odd coincidence - watched nite before Katrina hit.

Weekly highlight on the road: overhear two local Arizona kids entering a Harkins Blockbuster (Scottsdale) to ask for 'Kung Fu Hustle'. Man, times have changed.

Guest jmungus

guards of shaolin aka ninja vs shaolin guards.

with lo rei, robert tai and eagle han.

had never heard of that one in all those years. a real surprise gem for me. top notch indie old school production with brilliant gung fu and predominantly exciting choreography all over the place.

7.6/10, a must have for any old school fan.

hitchhikers guide to the galaxy

ive read everywhere its a love or hate thing.

for me, HGTTG (in general) represents the 80s vibe to the fullest and thus i was quite happy to feel that very vibe watching this movie.

got me thinking back of the good old "BTTF1-3/explorers/batteries not included/cocoon/e.t."..... days. 6.8/10

appleseed 2004

i used to be a fan of the original in the late 80s.

despite a few tries, i never made it an anime fan tho, but was definitely looking forward to the appleseed rehash in 2004.

what can i say, this time around was my 2nd rewatch, and i did quite enjoy it- once again.

imo, it works wonderfully as a straight action flick.

the visuals are plain fantastic for the most part and a good sound system does help a lot to find this one mind boggling ;) 8/10