What ELSE (other than KUNG FU) has everyone been watching?

Guest kenichiku

Other than kung fu I have been watching Spartacus: blood and sand and its prequel Spartacus: gods of the arena. Pretty damn good drama, some episodes better than Others but I'm not keen on a lot of the over stylised gladiatorial battles and the cartoonlike use of CGI blood that never fails to take you out of the moment. Overall a good show and one I'm sure would be well received from fellow forum members.

Sherlock Holmes A Game Of Shadows: Very disappointing sequel seemed rushed to me, as if they couldn't wait to get to the next set piece and forget about story development. Not sure what Guy Richie is going to do next as he seems to have run out of ideas.

Mission Impossible 4 : Ghost Protocol: Excellent 4th installment, great action and stunts, surprised to see Simon Pegg getting a much bigger role. Not as good as part 3 but definitely one of the best action films this year.

I just recently started watching Epitifios 2 with Cecilia Roth again. Great series....also caught Lost in Austin on Netflicks and really enjoyed it.

Laura

[

Mission Impossible 4 : Ghost Protocol: Excellent 4th installment, great action and stunts, surprised to see Simon Pegg getting a much bigger role. Not as good as part 3 but definitely one of the best action films this year.

You had me intrigued until you said not as good as part three, which I found exceptionally poor.

You had me intrigued until you said not as good as part three, which I found exceptionally poor.

I'd have to disagree with you. I thought 3 was the best in the series and Ghost Protocol was just as good. 1 was too slow and kind of boring, 2 wasnt that good, even though John Woo directed it. 3 and 4 are def great.

I'd have to disagree with you. I thought 3 was the best in the series and Ghost Protocol was just as good. 1 was too slow and kind of boring, 2 wasnt that good, even though John Woo directed it. 3 and 4 are def great.

I liked Ghost Protocol a lot, but I also liked the 3rd and the 1st. Really when we are talking about capturing the spirit of the original show, the first 15-20 minutes of the first movie is the best, but MI4 as a whole movie is much closer to what the old show was about, because it isn't just about Cruise, it's about the whole team. Every member has a moment and they all help each other when things break down. Great film.

odioustrident

Hammer House of Mystery and Suspense - great writing that holds up today

Going to see Cabin in the Woods tonight very excited.

DarthKato

Just got through watching "Sherlock' on PBS. One of the best versions of Sherlock Holmes I have seen since Basil Rathbone played the part.

THE LAZARUS PAPERS - A strange film combining ghost story and revenge action film. Danny Trejo plays Aroon, who has the power to heal and cannot die. When a village he lives in is ransacked by human trafficker Riker (played by Gary Daniels), young girl Nana (Krystal Vee, SCORPION KING 3) is kidnapped and forced into prostitution. When she escapes with a suitcase full of cash, Riker goes after her but she gets help in a terminally ill fellow, Lonny (Johnny Lee). Where Aroon randomly comes up is quite a pain, but somehow, it all comes together in the final 15 minutes.

BREAKING WIND - This was the dumbest spoof movie I have ever seen. It spoofs Twilight Saga: Eclipse and the trailer to Breaking Dawn Part 1. It is all fart jokes (hence the title) and sex jokes galore. Danny Trejo pops in as Billy Black. He's the only good thing about the film (good thing I used a FREE redbox code on this one LOL)

Blow Out (1981)

I liked the idea of the story centering around a sound recorder who gets caught up in the middle of a political assassination for accidentally recording an attempted murder that looked like an accident. But the whole thing was a bit off for me. The subplots didn't connect with the main plot points too well midway through and the main focus was somewhat lost because of shifting between each of these plots points. The ending totally made that up though and doesn't forsake the premise that was set up in the start. Travolta and Allen gave good performances, and De Palma's sharp direction keeps everything interesting.

Rating: 7.5/10

QueMuchita

^^ Funny you posted a little mini review of that movie, I actually watched this about 2 weeks ago and thought it was a pretty good film.

Carlito's Way (1993)

Pacino and the cast were great but it's as great as it can get in these mid tier crime films. Nothing new happens here as a crime film its' own merits - basically about an ex-criminal avoiding the criminal world he was once part of after getting out from prison. It's pretty much like Scarface but with more depth and humanity. The film still stands out though as one of Pacino's most down-to-earth and likable performances. And the efficiency of the film lies in how the story is told. De Palma hasn't really been big on creating new or refreshing stories in his films but always made it up by giving them a fresh spin with his individual technicality in storytelling. Rating: 8.5/10

Fatal Attraction (1987)

The title says it all. Most memorable as the film where family-man and lawyer Michael Douglas has an affair with and later stalked by a lonely, suicidal, and unpredictable Glenn Close who goes her nasty ways to warn him not to ignore her and remind him how to be more responsible. The premise was great and one that wasn't forsaken throughout the rest of the film. Very rarely do you see films like these where females get the upper hand in a role that I honestly think is daring and quite controversial. Rating: 8/10

Black Rain (1989)

A buddy cop film but a different one as the film takes place in Japan most of the time and the lead actor (Michael Douglas) gets teamed up with an Asian cop (Ken Takakura) to solve the case. The film's unique side is the way it covers vibes concerning feelings Americans and Japanese had at the time which were really evident once the story shifted to Japan, and through dialogue scenes between Douglas, Takakura and the actor who played the Japanese chief inspector. But other than that, it's just a standard formula of cops chasing down criminals. Rating: 6/10

blue_skies
^^ Funny you posted a little mini review of that movie, I actually watched this about 2 weeks ago and thought it was a pretty good film.

Despite his criticism he did give it 7.5/10 clearly liked it quite a lot

Full Metal Jacket (1987)

A new one in terms of warfare/military perspectives onscreen so far for me. Something that covered mental state similarly was The Deer Hunter but that was during the war, whereas Full Metal Jacket explores feelings and experiences both in boot camp training and during war. That said, I didn't really expect the dialogue to come off so snappy for being a film with opposing themes but it really worked. It allows for peculiar patterns in some of the more outspoken and conflicted characters throughout the story (who can ever forget Sgt. Hartman, "Comer Pyle", or "Animal Mother"?). One has to wonder though where Kubrick wanted to take the film because plot holes seems obvious in few places. But despite this fact, this is evolutionary as warfilms can go. Along with Cimino, Coppola, and Stones' warfilm, Kubrick's has gone done in history for successfully adding a new flavor and bringing out something fresh for the genre. Rating: 10/10

Wall Street (1987)

A welcoming piece into the New York stock market where greed makes millions, changes you out of your true character, and questions your integrities. I have been into these kinds of films (Overheard films, Life Without Principle) for a while now, and haven't been under its' radar until now it felt like rewatching later films with similar themes that must have been inspired by or at least have continued the traditions of this film refreshingly. However, I think the film is quite original even by today's standards due to strong acting performances as well as showing more details on how things go down in that kind of working field. Charlie Sheen and his father looked great working together (it shows) but Michael Douglas' presentation was just hard to surpass. Just an amazing performance. Rating: 9/10

bruceleewannabe

Doc Martin (British TV), This is a funny british dramedy about a famous surgeon Doctor Martin Ellingham (Martin Clunes) who leaves the big time to become a GP in a small village called Portwenn. He cannot perform large surgeries anymore as he has a fear of blood which causes him to feel sickly and woozy. He is the type of guy who says what he feels and doesn't understand why some people get upset by the things he says and the attitude he seems to have. He is very blunt and will tell you exactly what is wrong with you and what you can do to fix it but only if you do it without argument. The people don't want to listen to his medical advice most of the time but he tells them if they don't they could die so that usually turns them around.

There have been five seasons so far with a sixth one on they way next year. Seasons 1-4 are on DVD (I've checked them out from my local library), they are also on Netflix or Hulu. The series has a lot of funny moments and serious situations. The later seasons find the doc getting married and having a child to take care of. It's worth a watch if you like british comedies or dramas as it is a combination of the both.

Miller's Crossing (1990)

Pretty interesting but not that enthralling as it could've been. The film's standard gangland formula mixed with intricate plot points (going back and forth) and odd touch of dark humor in few moments was really admirable and a standout in that regard. Altogether these elements created a different kind of crime film compared to classics like The Godfather, Goodfellas, Scarface and what not which were more direct in emphasis. Good bunch of actors here as well but they were used in the wrong way. It seemed like performances were just there to happen, not there to happen and at the same time leave great impressions or engage through the acting.

Rating: 7/10

Just got through watching the first Mission:Impossiable movie and it was really bad. The acting was bad, the graphics were a joke, and the story was utter nonsence. This film is a disgrace to the original show.

I give it a 1/5:nerd:

massa_yoda
Just got through watching the first Mission:Impossiable movie and it was really bad. The acting was bad, the graphics were a joke, and the story was utter nonsence. This film is a disgrace to the original show.

I give it a 1/5:nerd:

Wow! Sorry you didn't like it. I still love the first movie and I am a fan of the original TV show as well.

Patriot Games (1992)

Personal vendetta mixed with patriotism was quite an interesting concept for this political revenge thriller, and the cast really carry the film as far as intensity goes. But it probably would have hit harder and more successfully had they toned down the patriotic subplot (with their secret operations in North Africa) and concentrated more on Sean Bean's quest to seek out and kill Harrison Ford and his family.

Rating: 7.5/10

TIhe old lady and I watched Chronicle last night. Cool lil flick. Reminded me of Akira. I'm sure I'm not the only one who thought that.

oneskyforall
TIhe old lady and I watched Chronicle last night. Cool lil flick. Reminded me of Akira. I'm sure I'm not the only one who thought that.

Definitely reminded me of Akira.

I read somewhere that the kid who turns evil in Chronicle was the top actor in the running to play Tetsuo in the live action Akira movie. Although I think the live action Akira is scrapped for the time being.