What ELSE (other than KUNG FU) has everyone been watching?

Guest kenichiku

ShaOW!linDude

Me? Been watching Baby Einstein and dust grow on my collection.

I'm lucky if I get to watch one DVD a week :squigglemouth:

Heh! I feel you, bro. Been there.

Baby Galileo is the best btw. It's hard to find now but if you don't have it, you need to score it.:wink:

Yeah got that. One of the best ones.

Geez, can't believe I'm actually ranking these :nerd:

Heh! I feel you, bro. Been there.

Baby Galileo is the best btw. It's hard to find now but if you don't have it, you need to score it.:wink:

masterofoneinchpunch

Case de mi Padre (2012: Matt Piedmont) **/****:

I am still not sure what compelled me to watch this. There was this urge to go see it. Something about the trailer had me interested. The reviews on it were mostly mediocre, but I still had this morbid curiosity. Apparently I was the only one at that particular showing, well for about 15 minutes. I had the whole theater to myself and I liked it that way. This has never happened, but there was something cool about it, having the whole theater to yourself. I could walk around aimlessly while still staring at the screen. I could randomly change seats or talk to myself more than usual. Then a person came in about five minutes into the film. Dammit. Luckily he sat way at the bottom. My fear was he was going to sit directly in front of me or next to me, which would be weird, but has happened before.

Now back to the film: well it was there. There are a few funny moments, some interesting ideas, though in some instances it feels like a telenova influenced by Grindhouse techniques like bad footage, skipping frames, frames riding up. Now add in random mannequins used as people, too much nude footage of possibly Will Ferrells butt and too little comedy with a basic plot and that is pretty much the film.

Some are staying away from this because most of the film is in Spanish. I like subtitles (not all the words were translated which is a little annoying; English does not have subtitles like the non-English language Criterion titles) and Wills Spanish is quite good (some reviews note the American accent). But the plot is so incredibly basic that you know most of the film from the beginning or all of it. There are too many missed opportunities that you start spotting areas where he could have added jokes or some surrealist gag or try a little harder with the action scenes. Maybe I was expecting too much.

You can stay past the credits to get an additional scene. It is nothing tremendously interesting or funny, but it is there and if you are a completist you will want to watch it. You notice a lot of crappy films do this.

crazedjustice888

Power Rangers Samurai weekly

Gundam AGE weekly

Garo weekly (sadly last week)

Digimon weekly (sadly last week)

Kamen Rider Fourze weekly

GoBusters weekly

Thats about it...hahaha oh and How I met your mother...weekly...hahaha

masterofoneinchpunch
Anything with ... Ricardo Darin.

Laura

Funny, I just saw The Secret in Their Eyes (2009: Juan José Campanella) this weekend and he was quite good in it.

Funny, I just saw The Secret in Their Eyes (2009: Juan José Campanella) this weekend and he was quite good in it.

That's my favorite of his so far...and the actress was fantastic as well. Great chemistry, wonderful story.

Laura

THE MUPPETS (2011) - I really liked it and Jason Segel proved he can write a family orientated film, especially being a Muppet fanboy. Funny parts involve Jack Black playing himself as Animal's anger management sponsor. LOL

FRIGHT NIGHT (2011) - This is a perfect example of how NOT to remake a classic 80's horror-comedy. They practically took all of the comedy out of the original, except for David Tennant, who was the movie's only good factor IMO. Everything else just seemed rushed and it was all blech!

FOOTLOOSE (2011) - This was a worthy remake of the classic Kevin Bacon 1984 starrer. Newcomer Kenny Wormald definitely made his version of Ren exactly for the 21st Century. Picturing originally casted Zac Efron and Chace Crawford, I couldn't see them as Ren. Wormald truly held his own for his film debut and in the classic "letting out steam" sequence, he looks like he busts out some hip hop moves and even a dab of get this...what looks like Capoeira.

Notorious (1946)

Finally got to see the hype of it all. Overall, this was a great refreshment in its' use of familiar themes of romance, intrigue, suspense, and thrills. And the story being set in South America added a nice touch to the story, going away from the traditional American scenery. Once again, Grant and Bergman did fabulous and went hand in hand as a screen duo (can see why this collaboration went on for quite a while in other films). I found the ending a bit anticlimactic though as the final resolution seemed to lead to something epic moments before. Still a classic for what it is though. Rating: 10/10

Chinatown (1974)

Aka L.A. Confidential's older brother. This had an interesting style and the noir-ish pacing was quite moving and carried out the story pretty nicely, with Nicholson and Dunaway fit very well and performing in alignment with the story's time line. Alas, I wasn't to engaged with the whole picture. It's probably because there was little violence/screen time of the antagonists and focused more on Nicholson's investigation, the relationship between him and Dunaway and the latter's subplot. I can understand the praise it gets, and it does deliver in that regard. But the overall content was not pleasing enough for me. Rating: 7.5/10

All's Well Ends Well 2012 (2012)

Another nonsense Chinese New Year comedy. The cast varies from great actors (Louis Koo, Lam Suet, Donnie) to newcomers acting silly and crazy. Plus there's lots of ladies in the the film but I got no complaints. Donnie has an interesting role of that as a washed-up guitarist who hooks up with a washed up singer (Sandra Ng) to make their comeback, and gets to do lots of comedy acts which was pretty fun to watch, at times reminiscing Donnie's comic flair in Mismatched Couples. Best of all is that he also dances and sings in some scenes and does surprisingly good (Donnie could very well sing the theme songs to his films from now on lol). Overall, another film you can pass UNLESS you're in for big surprises and lots of pretty women. Rating: 4/10

Just watched The Robe on bluray. This was the first major widescreen movie(Cinemascope), in the early 50s. Blu ray looks fantastic and wow, they really went all out as far as scope and production values in some of those biblical epics of the 50s.

masterofoneinchpunch
Just watched The Robe on bluray. This was the first major widescreen movie(Cinemascope), in the early 50s. Blu ray looks fantastic and wow, they really went all out as far as scope and production values in some of those biblical epics of the 50s.

As good as the film was and I like Richard Burton, I prefer the sequel Demetrius and the Gladiators (1954) which has some pretty good action in it. Okay Victor Mature hams it up way too much, but still a fun film.

As good as the film was and I like Richard Burton, I prefer the sequel Demetrius and the Gladiators (1954) which has some pretty good action in it. Okay Victor Mature hams it up way too much, but still a fun film.

Oh, that's good to hear. I watched the trailer for Demetrius and was thinking about picking that up. I'm tempted to get the blu ray of Ben Hur, but my dvd looks good enough that I can't really justify the purchase.

masterofoneinchpunch
Oh, that's good to hear. I watched the trailer for Demetrius and was thinking about picking that up. I'm tempted to get the blu ray of Ben Hur, but my dvd looks good enough that I can't really justify the purchase.

I will warn again that Mature's performance gets worse, but the action gets better.

I did not pick up the Ben Hur for the same reason (though I'm always on the lookout for a really cheap Used set which includes the earlier Ben Hur). I love that film. If you haven't yet, check out the silent release of Ben Hur (1925) which also has a very good chariot race (not as good as the remake) and a very good sea battle scene (not as good as the remake, but still fascinating). Always interesting to me to see pre-code movies (extra violence, nudity) as well as two-strip Technicolor productions.

I'm going through a nostalgia trip...I'm watching cartoons from when I was a kid and passing them on to my kids, who love them

Kidd Video

Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors

Teen Wolf

Darkwing Duck

Bananaman

Danger Mouse

you get the idea LOL IMO they are much better than some of today's cartoons

To Catch a Thief (1955)

A well done piece put altogether for it's purpose but way different compared to his usual calibers. The theft/mistaken identity theme that Hitchcock liked doing so much go hand in hand with the romance in the character development. I'm pretty sure this was deliberate (Hitchcock was a master of utilizing his visions onscreen) but I think it would've upped the ante if Hitchcock gave more room for Grant investigating the robberies and exposing the real thief under his name, and cut down the romance/relationship with the lead actress. Rating: 7.5/10

Peeping Tom (1960)

The originality of the film speaks for itself. I don't recall snuff films being this creative before and since. However, Powell's direction was underwhelming for the film to be taken for anything. Being a horror/thriller, the film was rather slow and done for artistic purposes than for cinematic immensity. As a result, it took out the momentum of some of the horrific moments for me. Applauds to the director though for such a great idea. Rating: 7/10

Tonight i'm bringing home:

Haywire - Not expecting too much from it, but it may be alright.

Watched Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol and Contraband the other night. They were both pretty good.

Carrie (1976)

Great mixture of drama, horror, and fantasy. The story progresses well and it sets off pretty much anything you can find in other high school films so its' pretty simplistic. But it's the emotional context of it all that will get you grabbed - that ending (fantastic camerawork and editing by De Palma)... just amazing! Outstanding performances by Spacey and the actress who played the mother. Rating: 9/10

Dress to Kill (1980)

De Palma goes Hitchcock in this early 80s serial killer film and one of the most celebrated films in his career. Pretty much a version of Psycho in terms of themes (schizofrenia and internal conflicts between the personas), the film nonetheless has its' own style and tone that makes the film very interesting, thanks to De Palma's visual flair. It's far from perfect - few things were hard to take seriously - but I'd say it's De Palma's best film in his career. Rating: 9.5/10

ANNA MAGDALENA (1998)

One of the most timeless and engaging UFO productions I’ve seen. Wonderful cinematography (Peter Pau), wonderful chemistry between the extrovert and the introvert leads (Kwok and Kaneshiro) and Kelly Chen’s “Mok Man Yee” character remained etched into my mind for days!

The ancient Universe DVD was considered reference material at the time and its still a bearable watch.

NOMAD (1982)

Revisiting this after God knows how many moons, mainly because I’m on a Leslie Cheung flex lately. Still a somewhat charming mess of a movie, the Nouvelle Vague influences are all over the place, but I guess its difficult to find reasons (other than its “otherness”) to place it on the list of the best 100 HK films ever made (like the crits of the HK edition of Time Out recently did).

Watched the pretty lousy and cut Mei Ah DVD. Wish I had the supposedly uncut VCD to compare the snipped violence in the final minutes, but I’ve never been able to track it down.