What ELSE (other than KUNG FU) has everyone been watching?

Guest kenichiku

Guest mikabaker

newbie here! just want to contribute to the thread.

I recently watched "Drive" with Ryan Gosling in it. It was of 80's feel and sludgy in the sense that it was with a slow paced camera treatment.

"Ghost Rider: Spirit Of Vengeance" was just a thorough disappointment. please avoid this flick.

cheers!

• Administrator
newbie here! just want to contribute to the thread.

I recently watched "Drive" with Ryan Gosling in it. It was of 80's feel and sludgy in the sense that it was with a slow paced camera treatment.

"Ghost Rider: Spirit Of Vengeance" was just a thorough disappointment. please avoid this flick.

cheers!

Welcome to the forum! :bigsmile:

ShaOW!linDude

LEMMY ---- (2010) Documentary about Lemmy Kilmister: lead singer and bassist of the heavy metal band Motorhead.

Not very (auto)biographical but very interesting. It's really more of an homage with a ton of musicians singing his praises for his influence on them and their music. It's very candid as the camera follows Lemmy about. It showcases both his personality and his persona. I would've really enjoyed if the filmmakers had asked him about the inspiration for some of his music and lyrics. One thing's for sure.....he's a character.

If you're interested, dvr it like I did.

ShaOW!linDude

CROWLEY --- (2010) stars: Simon Callow, Kal Weber, John Shrapnel, Lucy Cudden, Paul McDowell, Jud Charlton.

Weird movie, man. Followers of Aleister Crowley seek to reincarnate him through a virtual reality experiment so that he can then perform a ritual to secure himself in this time. Crowley is primarily portrayed by Callow who does a good job but it is the short performance by Shrapnel that really embodies him (pardon the pun). It's not a scary movie by any means. It's just weird. The movie's director, Julian Doyl, and Bruce Dickinson, lead singer for the band Iron Maiden, wrote the screenplay.

Crowley has always fascinated and repulsed me simultaneously. May have to dig out my 2 biographies of him and read them again now. Ugh.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

Last night we (re re re-)watched THE TINGLER which stars Vincent Price. This movie scared the bejesus out of me when I was a kid. Some parts were still creepy. I loved it. My wife groaned and rolled her eyes the whole time. LOL

Recently watched THE IDES OF MARCH with Ryan Gosling and George Clooney. Like Clooney's last directorial effort, this sounded boring but wound up being very good. Exceptional performances stand out in this film about a politician and his top campaign workers.

We watched the foirst half of the Italian gangster drama GOMORRAH. Fantastic so far.

A couple things that brought me out of this movie was Jackie's apparent dubbing (it sure didn't sound like him) and the terrible audio sync during the English dialogue. It only occasionally matches up with a person's mouth. I must say though, there was actually one GOOD white person here (character-wise, not acting). Color me impressed. Anyway, I was engaged enough with the story, even though there was SO much going on, each person could have had their own movie! This movie is about revolution and setting up free elections, not communism or flag-waving (okay, a little bit of the latter), though there was an unnecessary bit at the end where they tried to connect these events with the CCP. Uh huh. But hey, this film definitely motivates me to do more research. I might watch it again. Kudos to Jackie for another good performance, though he needed more screen time.

Watched these this week as I was on vacation:

ACCUSED AT 17 (2009) – Lifetime-esque film about a teenager who is accused of murdering the girl who slept with her boyfriend. The film was not too bad and has some interesting twists in the plot. Truly has some vile characters that you would just want to hate and those who you felt so sorry for.

THE REUNION (2011) – WWE star John Cena plays a cop who is forced to team up with his bail bondsman brother (Ethan Embry) and ex-con little brother (Boyd Holbrook) to start a family business when their father passes away. This leads them to a wild goose chase to save a kidnapped billionaire. Cena and Embry have some pretty decent comic chemistry and the action feels like a modern-day western. Not bad for a WWE film.

BOUNTY HUNTERS (2011) – Formerly known as “Bail Enforcers”, this film stars former pro wrestler Trish Stratus as a bail bondsman who ends up joining her boyfriend/supervisor and partner on a wild mission when they have a former mobster in their capture and the mobster's boss wants him back. The fight scenes combine martial arts and pro wrestling moves choreographed by indie wrestler Riff Havoc. Stratus does a lot of kicking and grappling moves and of course, she has her final fight in a schoolgirl outfit against a Asian female rival in a nurse's outfit.

DETECTIVE DEE AND THE MYSTERY OF THE PHANTOM FLAME (2010) – I actually liked this Tsui Hark film. It was as if Sherlock Holmes was a 7th-Century Chinese swordsman. Nice action sequences by Sammo Hung and excellent performances by Andy Lau, Li Bingbing, and Carina Lau as the Empress. There were some exciting plot twists to the film as well that made me kept watching.

PUSS IN BOOTS (2011) – Spin-off film to “Shrek” starts the story of Puss in Boots, reprised by Antonio Banderas, as he teams up with former friend Humpty Dumpty and master thief Kitty Softpaws in an attempt to get the Golden Goose from the Giant's castle in the beanstalk. Of course, redneck couple Jack and Jill want the Goose as well and chaos soon ensues. Very fun movie!!!

COLOMBIANA (2011) – From the writers of “The Transporter” and “Taken” come this action tale starring Zoe Saldana as a young assassin who is raised from childhood from her uncle after her parents are viciously murdered by a drug cartel. She seeks revenge against the cartel but sometimes, she doesn't think of her actions and the consequences that will come with being an assassin. Nice firepower and the fight scene involving Saldana and Jordi Molla could have been better edited. However, decent effort overall.

Drive (2011)

This was good, but not normally my type of movie. Kudos to the director for making a story and characters that you care about. However, it is a little too violent for my personal tastes. I'm sure it doesn't bother most people, but I don't need to see heads getting ripped apart...or hear the bone crunching sound effects.

Hey guys, yeah I am still alive.:xd: Anyway, I have been watching a lot of crime films lately:

Scareface(1983) Al Pacino

Heat(1995) Al Pacino, Robert De Niro

The Departed(2006) Leonardo DiCaprio

I have also watched:

Hitman(2007) Timothy Olyphant

Shutter Island(2010) Leonado DiCaprio

I finally began watching TOKUMEI SENTAI GO-BUSTERS, the new Super Sentai Series after TV-Nihon's servers were down. The show just premiered 3 weeks ago and I have to admit, I'm starting to like it. It combines shades of Power Ranger references and get this...in some crazy way, it reminds me of THE MATRIX.

Basically, the show takes place in an alternate 2012, where the main energy source in the world is called Enertron. A computer virus unloads a computerized army known as the Vaglass, led by a French-speaking human named Enter.

13 years ago, three special youngsters were given Enertron as a source for what you can call "super powers". They are Hiromu, Ryuuji, and Youko. They become the Go-Busters team and what is very interesting is because of the Enertron in their bodies, they have weaknesses. Hiromu (RedBuster) freezes at anything that freaks him out for a total of 5 minutes. Ryuuji (BlueBuster) tends to overuse his energy and crashes if he "overheats". If she doesn't have enough calories in her body, Youko (YellowBuster) loses her energy quickly (this explains before each battle, Youko delves in her pocket for a snack).

Fun series so far after seeing the first 2 episodes...hope it gets much better!

masterofoneinchpunch

Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress (2002: Dai Sijie) China/France ***/****

There are many films that deal with China’s Cultural Revolution and aftermath, but this is the calmest one I have seen. There is a terror lurking underneath, but vastly veiled or hidden if one is not familiar with what can happen to you if your behavior is complained to higher authority.

Ma (Lie Ye: Curse of the Golden Flower) and Lu (Chen Kun: Let the Bullets Fly) are two friends part of the “Down to the Countryside Movement” in which bourgeois youths (or whose parents were considered bourgeois) are sent to remote areas to learn farming and remove any potential capitalist ideas. They get to move liquid fertilizer (dung) for farming and excavate materials out of tiny caves.

They both fall for a beautiful seamstress (Zhou Xun: True Legend) who falls for Lu who is the more aggressive of the two. They steal a bunch of non-approved books including several from Balzar from a “reeducated youth” who just left. The two spend their spare time reading to the little seamstress and teaching her how to read herself. There is not any conflict between the three even those Ma pines for the seamstress.

It is a beautiful filmed movie with not much in antagonists or drama except for the strange coda that does not help the film. It goes abruptly over two decades into the future and one character returns to the area which will soon be filled for the Three Gorges Dam.

I like this film, but I would recommend first watching Farewell my Concubine, The Blue Kite and To Live if you are interested in various periods under Chairman Mao.

masterofoneinchpunch

Chronicle (2012: Josh Trank)

My first 2012 film watched. I wanted to get to this before it got out of the theater. I had tried to stay away from reviews and trailers of this as much as possible, so I was fairly surprised how brooding and dark the film became.

I am not the biggest fan of teen dramas and the film starts off as a troubled teen Andrew who has decided to just start filming everything including that of his dying mom and alcoholic dad. His cousin Matt is his closest friend, but they really are not that close. Besides his family issues, Andrew’s life is one of a depressed teen who gets picked on, does not connect well with others and is generally doleful. All of this changes when at a party Andrew gets cajoled into taking his camera by Steve (Michael J. Jordan), Matt’s friend, into a deep dark pit off in the woods. Why they would risk going into a cave in the dark (kids are stupid) from the ground, I do not know but they connect with these crystal formations they find.

Soon they have an ability to move things. That’s telekinesis, Kyle. How they react with their new powers seems realistic with what a teenager would do. Soon they also realize how dangerous it is to others as well as the danger they put themselves in.

Since this is one of those “hand-held” films where every seen is taken from a camera in the existing world (a camera that exists in the film) whether from Andrew’s new camera which is the most prevalent to surveillance cameras in pertinent spots. While this technique is reminiscent to The Blair Witch Project it is more akin to Cloverfield (2008: Matt Reeves) in its use of hiding particular moments because of film issues, bigger budget for special effects, starting the film off innocently and its tone. A bit too much quesy-cam and I would have liked to see some of those shots with the camera not moving.

There are several scenes that are quite good. I don’t want to spoil them, but if anyone is interested in discussing I can put them in spoilers. Overall I liked the film. I liked the actors and the plot, though I am a little tired of the stereotypical hand-held direction.

FINAL DESTINATION 5 - same ol' plot...group cheats death and death comes after them one by one...some pretty inventive death clips though.

The Fighter and Warrior. Both very good movies with heart and soul. I liked the boxing action in The Fighter a little better, but both movies did a fairly good job shooting the action.

The Bodyguard. Very good movie, terrible waste of talent and life.

Unstoppable. High energy, adrenaline rush! Rosario Dawson, marry me?

bruceleewannabe

If The Wonder Years on netflix counts then I guess that. They replaced the theme song (Joe Cocker's cover of With A Little Help From My Friends) with a soundalike and a few songs throughout episodes were changed but surprisingly most of the music is original and considering it was a show set in the 60s going into the 70s and there was a lot of copyrighted stuff that's pretty good, even if a song is changed it still vaguely sounds like what it was before (Foxy Lady by Jimi Hendrix was replaced with a similar sounding tune) and it doesn't seem to take away much from the scene where it's played.

I only remembered the show in reruns growing up and only really remembered the opening credits and beyond that not too much else so it was fun to see it again. I may not have grown up around that time but I relate to a lot of the characters and situations in the episodes and it's a fun show to watch. Definintely check it out if you use the netflix these days.

If The Wonder Years on netflix counts then I guess that. They replaced the theme song (Joe Cocker's cover of With A Little Help From My Friends) with a soundalike and a few songs throughout episodes were changed but surprisingly most of the music is original and considering it was a show set in the 60s going into the 70s and there was a lot of copyrighted stuff that's pretty good, even if a song is changed it still vaguely sounds like what it was before (Foxy Lady by Jimi Hendrix was replaced with a similar sounding tune) and it doesn't seem to take away much from the scene where it's played.

I only remembered the show in reruns growing up and only really remembered the opening credits and beyond that not too much else so it was fun to see it again. I may not have grown up around that time but I relate to a lot of the characters and situations in the episodes and it's a fun show to watch. Definintely check it out if you use the netflix these days.

Wow, I didn't even know they released this on DVD (because of those copyright issues). Like you, I grew up watching this show...I would love to revisit it again!

DeathFuMaster
Wow, I didn't even know they released this on DVD (because of those copyright issues). Like you, I grew up watching this show...I would love to revisit it again!

Just a quick note...it does come on TV still if you have "the Hub" channel. I started watching it again a while back when the Hub first started and I didn't notice any changes. It probably had them, but when I first watched the show back in the day I was just a kid.

The Great Silence - Awesome Sergio Corbucci western.

Yeah, very cool flick.

Me? Been watching Baby Einstein and dust grow on my collection.

I'm lucky if I get to watch one DVD a week :squigglemouth:

bruceleewannabe

It's not currently on DVD for those reasons but it is on Amazon and Netflix instant streaming which is where I'm watching it. I guess I should've specified.

It's not currently on DVD for those reasons but it is on Amazon and Netflix instant streaming which is where I'm watching it. I guess I should've specified.

Yeah no problem. I should've thought of that.