What ELSE (other than KUNG FU) has everyone been watching?

Guest kenichiku

THE TRUMAN SHOW - saw this first in theaters but rented it and still like this Jim Carrey film...one of his first dramatic (with a lil comic relief) roles as a man who doesn't realize he lives in a television show.

THE GREAT DEBATERS - Great based on true story film directed by and starring Denzel Washington as a debate coach who leads a small town African-American college debate team to a national championship in 1930s America. Great cast overall IMO.

the Full monthy... the first time i watched it was in italian back then.. watched last night in english.. fuckin awesome movie.. loved it (british for the winner eheh)

bruceleewannabe

On netflix I watched The Fly with Jeff Goldblum. I liked the original better but this was interesting. The make up and effects may seem kinda cheesy compared to todays stuff but still pretty wild.

I also on there I watched a documentary on Hunter S. Thompson called Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride. I'm from Kentucky and I have always appreciated what this man did for journalism and all the pieces he wrote. I have a Rolling Stone CD-ROM program that goes from 1967-2007 and it has all the stuff he wrote for them.

ROCKY (1976) - the classic Sly Stallone boxing flick! Great movie with great performances and a great boxing fight between Rocky and Apollo

MO' BETTER BLUES (1990) - Spike Lee's tale of a jazz musician who learns life is not what it is cracked up to be the hard way. Great performance by Denzel Washington and a nice soundtrack.

XANADU (1980) - yes I love this cult classic musical starring Olivia Newton-John and Gene Kelly. This movie was the reason why I liked ELO's music.

PRIEST (2010) - I liked this live action adaptation of the Korean graphic novel with a great lead in Paul Bettany and also Maggie Q as they team up to take down "vampires" (who look like the spawn of ALIEN LOL).

YOUR HIGHNESS (2010) - Very raunchy medieval comedy starring Danny McBride and James Franco as opposite brothers who must join forces to save Franco's bride to be...all the jokes in the film relate in one way or another to sex but in a funny way IMO

SHADOW OF THE WITCH (2011) - I liked the story, but I just could not see Nicolas Cage as a Cruading knight, yet Ron Perlman was great as Cage's ally and friend. Cage once again plays tragic hero here.

IRONCLAD (2010) - Very violent story that combines SEVEN SAMURAI with medieval history as they show King John join forces with Danish warriors in an attempt to take back his signing of the Magna Carta and take over Rochester Castle with seven warriors led by a Templar Knight trying to stop him. Could have done without the love story subplot between Templar and a minister's wife.

THE EAGLE (2011) - Another miscast in Channing Tatum as Roman warrior Marcus Aquila in 140 AD England. However, the saving grace of the film comes in Jamie Bell, who plays a Briton who becomes Aquila's slave turned reliable ally in his quest to regain his father's tarnished name.

• Like 1

MADEA'S BIG HAPPY FAMILY (THE MOVIE) (2011) - This was one of Tyler Perry's best Madea films IMO. It was a great combination of comedy and drama. There are characters you would love and characters you would love...to hate. And there is a surprise at the end of the movie that involves...Maury of all people!!!

THE UNINVITED (2009) - I finally got around to the remake of Kim Ji-Woon's A Tale of Two Sisters and I actually enjoyed it. Emily Browning gives a great performance as does Elisabeth Banks. Excellent twist at the end...made me yell HOLY ST in the living room. LOL

HOTEL FOR DOGS - Cute family film with Emma Roberts and Jake T. Austin as siblings who live with insane foster parents and find solace in their dog, only to discover an abandoned hotel where they decide to take in stray dogs. Pretty good for what it was.

THE GIRL WHO PLAYED WITH FIRE - Noomi Rapace returns as Lisbeth Salander as she is framed for the deaths of a reporter and his girlfriend and her former guardian (who raped her in the original and she got revenge by tattooing him). With the help of Mikael Blomquist, her ally from the first film, she learns who is responsible and there is a twist to everything. Not as "raunchy" as the original and surprisingly there are not 1, but 2 brief martial arts (kickboxing) fights with the assassin as the heavy.

bruceleewannabe

From Instant on Netflix:

Nothing but Trouble: This film stars Chevy Chase as a businessman who's going to drive a lady (Demi Moore) to Atlantic City to see her soon to be ex-boyfriend. They forget to stop at a stop sign along the way and are pulled over but not before they try to outrun the police officers (one played by John Candy). They are taken back to a mysterious mansion where they are put before a judge (played by Dan Aykroyd in a wild looking facial get up). They discover that they are not allowed to leave and as the house is full of traps they will have to try escaping on their own. Okay but not real good.

Memoirs of an Invisible Man: This is another Chevy Chase movie where he plays businessman who just happens to be in a lab research building that suffers a chemical reaction that turns him invisible. Darryl Hannah plays his love interest and Sam Neill plays the villianous character who says he wants to help him but more than likely wants to hurt him. An okay little film with a few gags involving the invisibility gimmick and the effects are pretty good for the time.

Shaolin Chamber 36
Just got through watching "X-Men:First Class". It was really good, much better than the other

X-Men movies.

This was also the last movie I watched. I enjoyed it as well.

MACHETE --- stars Danny Trejo, Jessica Alba, Michelle Rodriguez, Jeff Fahey, Robert DeNiro, Steven Seagal. Directed by Robert Rodriguez.

I love RR's stuff but this........meh. I remember hearing how so many people enjoyed this, I guess as it was made in the "grindhouse" vein. I just thought some of it was laughably awful and completely corny. I'm staying away from "Hobo With A Shotgun".:tongue: (I need to rewatch "Desperado" and "Once Upon A Time In Mexico" now.)

THOR - Absolutely loved it. Chris Hemsworth seemed tailor made for the role and it didn't seem like your typical superhero film. Kenneth Branagh really did a good job directing this film.

X-MEN: FIRST CLASS - I agree...best of the X-Men movies...I have to admit, I loved a cameo from a certain mutant telling Erik and Charles to go "f**k themselves".

ASSASSINATION GAMES - I knew what to expect through everyone who have seen it, and I didn't think it was all bad. While JCVD and Adkins don't really push themselves MA wise, they still made a pretty decent team IMO. I liked how Kristopher Van Varenberg's corrupt cop seemed somewhat like a wuss.

LAUGH TO KEEP FROM CRYING - This is the brand new Tyler Perry play and there is no Madea. Instead, it's about the craziness that occurs in an apartment building. Like most of Perry's material, it's either too funny or too dramatic. The ending is great, a classic soul/R&B medley that ends with a tribute to Michael Jackson.

HOODWINKED TOO! HOOD VS EVIL - Pretty funny sequel to the original animated hit. This time, Red must find her grandmother with the help of the Big Bad Wolf and find out the kidnappers are those who no one expects.

THOR - Absolutely loved it. Chris Hemsworth seemed tailor made for the role and it didn't seem like your typical superhero film. Kenneth Branagh really did a good job directing this film.

X-MEN: FIRST CLASS - I agree...best of the X-Men movies...I have to admit, I loved a cameo from a certain mutant telling Erik and Charles to go "f**k themselves".

ASSASSINATION GAMES - I knew what to expect through everyone who have seen it, and I didn't think it was all bad. While JCVD and Adkins don't really push themselves MA wise, they still made a pretty decent team IMO. I liked how Kristopher Van Varenberg's corrupt cop seemed somewhat like a wuss.

LAUGH TO KEEP FROM CRYING - This is the brand new Tyler Perry play and there is no Madea. Instead, it's about the craziness that occurs in an apartment building. Like most of Perry's material, it's either too funny or too dramatic. The ending is great, a classic soul/R&B medley that ends with a tribute to Michael Jackson.

HOODWINKED TOO! HOOD VS EVIL - Pretty funny sequel to the original animated hit. This time, Red must find her grandmother with the help of the Big Bad Wolf and find out the kidnappers are those who no one expects.

Yeah, that was great.:xd:

been watching many of the same flicks these past few days as u did.

X-MEN FIRST CLASS- 1st class movie indeed, although i like X2 the best. close race between the first, first class and... wolverine (yeah i know... falls flat compared to other x-men in the writing area in particular; but its wolverine, wolverine and more wolverine and less of the annoying x-characters and has a few super sweet action setups/sequences that for instance FIRST CLASS couldnt match.

8/10 for a great scifi thriller first, comic-actioner second.

ASSASSINATION GAMES- meh on the one hand, quite alright on the other.

jcvd is old news and has been for nearly 2 decades. does he get a KFF pity bonus or what is the deal ??!? dont get me started on his approach to do more serious acting- the guy cant act for shit (excuse my french). hes boring. hes limited to a fault. his charms are the opposite of appealing (appalling rather).

the movie`s solid in general, adkins is underused, it smells like typical mid 2 late 90s b-movie affair. its was okay to sit through, but its actually not worth the many words i already used on it. 4.5/10

THOR- theres superhero movies that manage to win me over instantly, theres lame failures of a superhero movie and theres s/t like THOR, a movie that i just couldnt connect with the way i wanted to. dont get me wrong, its pretty good stuff. entertaining. not making any of the usual mistakes (like wasting 2 hrs on basically just introducing the hero character(s) to the audience as if there were at least 2 mindboggling sequels with furious, action packed plots just around the corner), so thats a good thing right there. one of many. looking forward to rewatching it in a year or two, maybe i ll start to appreciate it a lil more. 7.5/10 for the time being.

HANNA- take 20oz. of "bourne id", 12oz. of "léon", add another couple of ounces of topics like coming of age/self-discovery, values like community spirit or appreciation for the arts and get a european director that loves to show off what he had learned to do with a camera (framing, cutting, editing, cam sweeps like figure skating et al).

what u get is a nice, very modern and very european action thriller. it was interesting, at times exciting and all in all good fun.

s/t thats probably too deeply rooted in the screenplay and/or general approach as to how the film should look like and work must be wrong tho; otherwise i wouldnt know why there was s/t bothering me.

theres more potential but hey, whats done is done, 7/10

masterofoneinchpunch

Foul Play (1978: Colin Higgins) ***/****

Some films you grow up with tend to be imprinted on your psyche which makes them a bit difficult to review properly. For me it is The Pink Panther Strikes Again, Three O’Clock High, Murder By Death where I put in an underrated category. Though they are not always rated as highly as other films of their times, they are among my favorites. I do not consider Foul Play as good as those movies, but I do consider it underrated. It is a movie I grew up with, had seen many times in the 1980s but had not seen on DVD and had not seen in widescreen. Like when I rewatched The Goonies I knew most of the story (well with The Goonies I knew the WHOLE story) so I wondered what critical eye I would bring to a rewatch.

Foul Play is still a film I like and rewatching it did not change much except that I could recognize many actors, references and associations that I would not have earlier like that’s not a real albino or there is no movie called This Gun is Mine. I think it is a well made thriller comedy with several actors I like and several comedic scenes that are excellent.

Goldie Hawn stars as Gloria Mundy a divorced librarian who against her previous conservative self picks up a hitchhiker who at first displays no interest in her until he realizes he is being followed and uses her as a temporary mule for his pack of cigarettes that has a secret film enclosed (the MacGuffin, especially since it doesn’t really play a big part of the film other than to set in motion what happens to her) and he will pick up when they meet at a movie theater later that night. He shows up bloody and ultimately dies but first gives her a warning to beware of the dwarf. When she complains to the management that her date is dead they soon find there is no body. However she will soon find an albino and a scarfaced-man after her as well, but no one to believe her.

Chevy Chase in his first big role after leaving SNL (especially at the time many wondered if this was a bad idea; like a college athlete leaving school earlier you take a chance so I cannot speculate on what another year or two there would have done for him there, but as the eighties hit his popularity also rose) as a clumsy, sarcastic detective on suspension who is brought into investigating this case of a loony, non-bra wearing blonde who claims to see dead bodies (she had just killed the scar-faced man, but his body has also disappeared by the time the detectives came). Romance eventually ensues.

Dudley Moore as Stanley Tibbets has a fun supporting role as the lovable pervert whose tiny apartment (finally an apartment size that is correct for a character in the space deprived San Francisco) conceals some great set pieces. This role really helped him get a starring performance the next year in 10. This film was a catalyst for all the main actors here as well (though Hawn did have a supporting role in Shampoo a few years earlier). This movie is full of memorable supporting performances from Burgess Meredith’s karate expertise to Billy Barty’s possible assassin scene.

While constant watches always make it easier to pick out the plot issues and lack of characterization this is still a good comedy with some thrill moments that still thrill. I always enjoy looking at films in San Francisco (tired of the LA scenery in movies). The biggest issue I have is that the main song "Ready To Take A Chance Again" by Barry Manilow does not fit the movie nor the scenes where it is played.

As I mentioned in another thread the two DVD releases of this are OOP. I am suspecting that this will eventually go on blu-ray and hopefully packaged like Funny Farm/Spies Like Us (except that hopefully there are no BD issues). But if you find used for a few dollars then I think it is a good buy.

Has anyone else seen this? I kept the above spoiler free so I did not describe my favorite scenes in detail.

TALIHINA SKY: THE STORY OF KINGS OF LEON --- a documentary of the rock band comprised of the Followill brothers and their cousin. This is one of my favorite bands and I found this to be very interesting. It contains lots of early footage and also a family reunion is Talihina, Oklahoma. They have a rep for being a bit volatile amongst themselves. This shows a little of that but this also shows a camaraderie that is steeped in familial ties as well. Worth a rental or dvr it.

PUSH - interesting sci-fi/action film set in Hong Kong with Chris Evans, Dakota Fanning, and Djimon Hounsou. Evans is a "mover", a telekinetic who can move people without touching them who teams up with "watcher" (psychic) Fanning to find Evan's ex-girlfriend, a "pusher" (she's kind of like a Scanner) who has a briefcase with a very important drug. Hounsou is the "pusher" agent looking for all parties along with a local Triad of "bleeders" (Banshees).

HOT TUB TIME MACHINE - as a 80's child, I loved all the retro references and quite frankly, Rob Corddry earned my respect back after I couldn't stand him as the racist FBI agent in HAROLD AND KUMAR ESCAPE FROM GUANTANEMO BAY. Sebastian Stan was funny as a ski patroller who had an obsession with RED DAWN.

QUARANTINE 2: TERMINAL - Not bad for what it was, not a remake of [REC]2, but more its own story that takes place around the same time as the original film, this time with the virus brought first onto a plane then to an airport terminal after the plane makes an emergency landing.

DAYBREAKERS - I thought this wasn't bad. It's about vampires nearly taking over the world and only 5% human existance. When blood supply is at a low, Ethan Hawke's vampire hematologist attempts to create a blood substitute to save both human and vampire races...however, when he meets a group of human revolutionaries...he finds something more than a solution...he finds a cure, one that doesn't bode well with his boss, played by Sam Neill.

THE ROAD ---- stars Viggo Mortensen, Robert Duvall, Charlize Theron, Guy Pearce.

A man and his son make their way through a post-apocalyptic world to get to the coast because.....well, they gotta go somewhere.

Oh, man. I am not ever reading this book. The movie was great but, dude...........it's depressing. And freaking scary, totally based on the how badly humankind could devolve and the harsh conditions of simply trying to survive once civilization has been essentially erased. I found this to be freakier than 90% of the zombie movies I've ever seen. To undergo something such as this alone would be one thing but to have to also take care of and protect a child, too....? I don't even want to think about it. Maybe I'll watch this again at some point since I've seen it initially......but it'll be a long while.

THE GIRL WHO KICKED THE HORNET'S NEST - The finale of the Millennium trilogy ends on a high note and was very well played out, especially Noomi Rapace's Lisbeth Salander spending the 1st half of the film in the hospital and the 2nd half on trail while Michael Nyqvist's Mikael Blomquist attempts to clear Lisbeth's name no matter the cost.

OUR FAMILY WEDDING - Pretty funny comedy revolving around Lance Gross and America Ferrara's upcoming nuptials and their bickering dads, played by Forest Whitaker and Carlos Mencia respectively.

GAMER - Not a bad movie, but it is definitely one of those can't blink for a second or it all doesn't make sense. Loved Gerard Butler's performance as well as Michael C. Hall as the crazy mastermind behind it all...the dance/fight scene was definitely great to watch!