What ELSE (other than KUNG FU) has everyone been watching?

Guest kenichiku

Had a classic kung fu movie weekend this past weekend:

THE DRAGON'S SHOWDOWN (1986) - Dragon Lee and Kitty "Cheryl" Meng as lovers who travel to find the warlord responsible for Lee's parents' death.

SECRET RIVALS I & II (1976/1977) - always enjoyed these John Liu/Hwang Jang-Lee flicks with great finales.

RUTHLESS REVENGE (1979) - Bruce Leung and Hon Kwok-Choi as two rival kung fu experts who individually are beaten by Bolo Yeung but together they beat him but now face the wrath of Yeung's brother played by Rambo Kong. With training from Ku Feng, they must face Kong in a final showdown.

ARTHUR (2011) - pretty fun remake with Russell Brand IMO. Helen Mirren was the real scene stealer as Arthur's nanny Hobson. Pretty funny opening involving Arthur and his chauffeur dressed as Batman and Robin.

RAD (1986) - Hal Needham's BMX flick is still one of my all time favorites. Involves a young BMXer who qualifies to enter a big race in his hometown, overcoming any odds possible to make his dream come true. Awesome BMX stunts in the film and the race was great as well.

Frenzy (1972)

One of Hitchcock's last movies about a sex maniac who murders women with neckties and then dumps them, which in the process has the cops suspecting another man who happened to be on the crime scene of a new committed murder just moments after. And then so on and so on... Quite easy to imagine the rest. This was Hitchcock going back to familiar territory after experimenting with other genres (comedy, war, drama) with his style that ended with less success. Apart from being a thriller, I had no expectations with this and was ready to just watch and enjoy the movie for being a late and different Hitchcock movie. I'm glad it exceeded expectations and turned into a fine piece of work, with great consistency in Hitchcock's storytelling (all touches, trademarks and themes are there). It's also a bit of proof that old styles can hold up and translate well in modern film-making, in this case the 1970s.

4.5/5

Mermaids - I can enjoy a good drama movie from time to time and this was a really good one with great performances from Winona Ryder and Cher.

HOUSE OF THE RISING SUN - Dave Bautista stars as Ray Shane, a former crooked cop turned mob enforcer for a local strip club. He gets framed for both murder and a robbery and using his past ties, investigates the robbery and learns some dark secrets. Actually was not a bad movie. While many see Bautista, a former WWE star, as the muscle-headed type, he actually made for a good ex-detective in this IMO. Co-stars Amy Smart, Dominic Purcell, and Danny Trejo.

punchingonpaper
ARTHUR (2011) - pretty fun remake with Russell Brand IMO. Helen Mirren was the real scene stealer as Arthur's nanny Hobson. Pretty funny opening involving Arthur and his chauffeur dressed as Batman and Robin.

RAD (1986) - Hal Needham's BMX flick is still one of my all time favorites. Involves a young BMXer who qualifies to enter a big race in his hometown, overcoming any odds possible to make his dream come true. Awesome BMX stunts in the film and the race was great as well.

Nice, Albert! I haven't seen RAD in ages, and now I feel like I need to revisit it!

punchingonpaper

I'm rewatching Guy Ritchie's SHERLOCK HOLMES. Interesting intellectual take on the fight scenes, the slowmo breakdowns, and then again in full speed. The cinematography is damn good as well!

• Like 1

ShaOW!linDude

GREENBERG --- stars Ben Stiller, Rhys Ifans, Greta Gerwig

I like Ben Stiller, always have. I think he's a good actor and really hasn't received the credit he deserves for that. Having said that, the movie is just weird. He plays the title character in this and is a neurotic who just has problems relating to people and yet is concerned with what they think of him. The female lead character is just the sweetest doormat in the world who is nigh impossible to offend. The end is, like, the antithesis of an end. It's as if there were a couple of minutes left to film and finish the scene and they were probably going to do it the next day and then decided "Nah, we got enough".

SOUL SURFER - Very inspiring true story of Bethany Hamilton, a young surfer who lost her left arm in a shark attack, only to not only persevere as a surfer but also a humanitarian.

PARANORMAL ACTIVITY 2 - sluggish first half, shocking second half.

DEATH RACE 2 - interesting prequel to the original...I actually like Luke Goss and he makes a bankable lead.

The Black Dahlia (2006)

As a reviewer on IMDB wrote: "The images are beautiful but what a mess." Don't waste your time on this one.

Hit the Ice (1943)

Abbott and Costello get mixed up with a trio of bank crooks. Always fun...

Dark City (1998)

Final battle was the only thing I didn't care for - otherwise rather enjoyable.

Jackie Brown (1997)

Sam Jackson was decent. DeNiro was asleep. Grier needs acting classes. Fonda was eye-candy. Keaton was bleh.

Roxanne (1987)

Steve Martin in his prime. Always a fun movie to revisit over the years.

3 IDIOTS - Bollywood comedy/drama starring Aamir Khan, R. Madhavan, and Sharman Joshi as three friends at India's most prestigious university and causing all sorts of hijinks. The movie intercuts between the school days and 10 years later when two of the three attempt to look for the 3rd friend. There are surprisingly only 2 Bollywood musical numbers in the 2 hour and 50 minute running time, but once you get into the movie, the near 3 hours go by quick. A fun Bollywood film!

I got the original Planet of the Apes movie the other day. Its really good and I would subjest anyone who hasn't seen it(if there is anybody who hasn't) to watch it.

NON KUNG FU:

HARRY POTTER MOVIES, TANGLED, GNOMEO AND JULIET, TRANSFORMERS MOVIES, GREEN LANTERN.

KUNG FU:

KUNG FU PANDA, FIVE SHAOLIN MASTERS, WAYS OF KUNG FU, GREEN JADE STATUETTE, RELENTLESS BROKEN BLADE, BLODDY MISSION, BOXER REBELLION, Executioners From Shaolin, Clan Of The White Lotus, Marco Polo, Ten Tigers Of Kwangtung, anything that comes on Fuel Tv's Late night Kung Fue on Saturdays!

I almost forgot my 2 fave non CKC movies: 5 DEADLY VENOMS AND RETURN OF THE 5 DEADLY VENOMS/CRIPPLED AVENGERS.

PARANORMAL ACTIVITY - I saw the second one, which is more a prequel to this one, but like the 2nd film, was sluggish in the first half with the scares not really happening until the 2nd half...saw both endings...liked the original ending better.

WILDBOYZ - season 3. i ha to introduced my new ladyfriend to Chris Pontinus & Steve-O's educational nature show... she loved it!! (as well as Big Trouble In Little China)

she's a keeper!

EASY A - funny movie with Emma Stone telling a lil lie about her virginity that spreads like wildfire, leading to more lies and deception...all in a high school setting.

DYLAN DOG: DEAD OF NIGHT - I actually enjoyed this monster movie with Brandon Routh as a retired "paranormal investigator" brought back to his retirement to solve a murder and unexpectedly must stop a war between vampires, werewolves, and zombies. Sam Huntington does great comedy as Routh's protege turned zombie. Pretty decent IMO...nice stunt choreography by Chuck Norris' son Eric.

RIO - fun animated film about a transplated blue macaw who is the last male of his species who goes back to his native Brazil to mate with the last female blue macaw. Add smugglers, the fish out of water and a pretty good voice cast (Anne Hathaway, Jesse Eisenberg, George Lopez and Jemaine Clement).

BLITZ - Jason Statham taking on a cop killer in this British action drama. There are a few subplots involving an openly gay cop and a female ex-drug addict cop who all connect to both Statham and the cop killer, well played by Aiden Gillen.

"Wanted"(2008) Starring James McAvoy, Morgan Freeman, and Angelina Jolie. A really good movie about a guy who finds out that his father was part of an organization that caries out assassinations decided by fate.He later joins the group to find and kill a rogue member that killed his father.

ShaOW!linDude

A 4 hour documentary in 2 parts: The Third Reich: The Rise and The Third Reich: The Fall. Absolutely fascinating. This is a doc using never before seen home movie footage and quotes mostly from German civilians. It is just astounding. Many of them were duped by Hitler as they were caught in an almost religious fervor in awe of him. The 2nd part is just heartrending is places not only seeing what the Nazis were doing to Poland and Russia but the wrath brought on the German people when the Allies brought the war to Deutschland. To see children flee with nothing but the clothes on their backs is terrible even they are those of your enemy. Hitler and the Nazi Party and their motivations and methodology have always interested me. This isn't really about that though it touches on it. This is about the German people: how they were swept up into national pride and the resulting price they paid for it. (They even show footage of the concentration camp Dachau. I've been there and it's ghastly.)

The Godfather - Part 3 (1990)

Everyone out there has summed up by now in terms of consistency in this famous crime trilogy. Due to problems with the studio heads, The Godfather 3 didn't end up quite the critical/commercial success and classic it should have been. Yeah, by saying "should have been" means that the movie was supposed to be made differently but sadly had go with with the inappropriate approach that made it as it is now.

Francis Ford Coppola's script was apparently going to be directly related to what Part 2 left off continuing a pattern of a principal character (Sonny in Part 1, Fredo in Part 2, and originally planned Tom) to build a plot around that. But after Duvall got out, things just wasn't the same anymore. Further more, what seemed to be a remorseless Don in Part 2 turns into a character that suddenly has regrets and wants to give up the legacy achieved by his father for the sake of legitimization. His age, self-honor and personal matters has some sense to this factor but if you look at Part 1, his father was a Don who was proud of what he accomplished for his business, wanted it to flourish, and looked like he could handle personals like a real man. I won't include other aspects, such as Don's rivalries, Don taking up a protege, Don doing business outside his legitimation, Don taking out his rivals, in the movie because they worked out. Still, it's not enough to justify the big flaws.

That said, I really enjoy the movie. The semi-incest relationship between Sonny's son (Andy Garcia) and Don's daughter (Coppolas's real-life daughter Sophia) was filler and don't add up any resolution whatsoever. Everything else was up to par though. Acting by Pacino, Keaton, Shire, Wallach (Don Altobello), and Bright (Al Neri) was very good.

3.5/5

IGBY GOES DOWN - Breakthrough performance for Macauley Culkin's little brother Kieran (the kid who wets the bed in Home Alone) as Igby, a 17-year old slacker who wants to just get away from his life and of course, complications occur.

STRAW DOGS - The original 1971 extended cut from director Sam Peckinpah is great!!! Dustin Hoffman slowly going from a normal married man to one who exacts revenge when a bunch of Brit hillbillies cause trouble. The final 15 minutes are insane for this era.